Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 13)  (Read 61621 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 13)
« Reply #330 on: May 01, 2015, 04:33:28 AM »
>Have we ever known a canine youkai to use that term before, shake themselves off?

« Reply #331 on: May 01, 2015, 04:58:13 AM »
>Have we ever known a canine youkai to use that term before, shake themselves off?

>Not specifically, though you've seen one do it before. But really, you wouldn't assume Kagerou is referring to any particular canine affectation so much as one of the only reasonable way to dry oneself in these conditions without a handy piece of fabric - not that it is particularly efficient.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #332 on: May 01, 2015, 02:22:22 PM »
>"No problem."
>Engage in doing these things.

« Reply #333 on: May 01, 2015, 07:19:28 PM »
>"No problem."
>Engage in doing these things.

>"Thank you."
>You shift over to the other side of the boulder, opening up a spot for Kagerou to get some heat from the fire without any risk of you accidentally looking at her naked. You hear her peel off her slip and let it fall wetly on a nearby rock, then proceed to generate as much airflow as she can to dry herself; some faint traces of it waft across your own back, though too weakly to accomplish anything. Resting closest to the flame of the torch, you feel the dampness very slowly receding from your left shoulder as Kagerou fans herself, though the rest of you feels as wet as ever; little droplets run slowly off your legs and drip onto the ground beneath you. Your hair clings wetly to your forehead.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #334 on: May 01, 2015, 10:20:40 PM »
>Let's see if we can wring our hair out a bit.
>"Lemme know when you're done."

« Reply #335 on: May 01, 2015, 10:44:01 PM »
>Let's see if we can wring our hair out a bit.
>"Lemme know when you're done."

>You wring your hair out a little while you wait, thin trails of water dribbling down you as you squeeze. It's a modest improvement, but you'd still rather dry it more properly; even if Kagerou didn't want to towel off using your spare clothing, you still could.
>"I'm trying to be as quick as I can, sorry! This is not the most..." she chuckles. "I feel slightly ridiculous."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #336 on: May 01, 2015, 10:49:03 PM »
>"Don't worry, it's just drying off. No one here to laugh at you but me, and I'm too busy being wet and miserable to laugh at anything anymore."

« Reply #337 on: May 01, 2015, 11:23:06 PM »
>"Don't worry, it's just drying off. No one here to laugh at you but me, and I'm too busy being wet and miserable to laugh at anything anymore."

>"Oh. I'm sorry," she replies meekly. You hear her resume vigorously shaking the water off her limbs, the light from the torch flickering slightly in their wake. After another minute or two of silence, she asks "Do you think you could hand me back my clothes now?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #338 on: May 01, 2015, 11:57:08 PM »
>Reach back over our shoulder to offer them to her.

« Reply #339 on: May 02, 2015, 12:09:25 AM »
>Reach back over our shoulder to offer them to her.

>You dig out the bundle of Kagerou's clothing from your pack, then reach over your shoulder to hand them to her. She accepts them with a polite "Thank you."
>"Okay, I'm decent now," she says after a few moments' dressing herself.

« Reply #340 on: May 03, 2015, 05:05:07 AM »
>Then lets get ourselves decent.

« Reply #341 on: May 03, 2015, 06:43:49 AM »
>Then lets get ourselves decent.

>With Kagerou finished, you turn your attention to your own state of dress. Between the heat from the torch, and a little toweling from the more damaged of your spare outfits, you are feeling reasonably dry as you step into fresh clothes - a bit damp still, but not terribly uncomfortable. There's still the issue of what to do with the articles of clothing that are still seriously sodden.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #342 on: May 03, 2015, 03:52:22 PM »
>Wring em out as good as we can, then see if we can dry them a bit with the torch.

« Reply #343 on: May 03, 2015, 11:13:47 PM »
>Wring em out as good as we can, then see if we can dry them a bit with the torch.

>You wring the water out of your wet clothing as best you can, then apply a combination of the torch and heatstone to start evaporating the rest.
>"How long do you think you'll keep moving tonight?" Kagerou asks, looking up at the sliver of moon visible through the gap overhead.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #344 on: May 03, 2015, 11:29:16 PM »
>"Couple hours, yet."

« Reply #345 on: May 04, 2015, 12:13:48 AM »
>"Couple hours, yet."

>"There's a little glen we might be able to make it to by then. It's nice and sheltered, and there's drinkable water; could be a good place to camp for the night."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #346 on: May 04, 2015, 12:16:45 AM »
>"I like the sound of that a lot."

« Reply #347 on: May 04, 2015, 12:28:18 AM »
>"I like the sound of that a lot."

>She nods slowly. "Okay, that's the plan, then."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #348 on: May 04, 2015, 12:44:09 AM »
>Once we're satisfied our clothes are less damp, put 'em back on and gather up the torch. "Let's get going, then."

« Reply #349 on: May 04, 2015, 04:42:09 AM »
>Once we're satisfied our clothes are less damp, put 'em back on and gather up the torch. "Let's get going, then."

>You give your underwear a few more minutes in the heat before deeming them dry enough to stow away and get back to the trail. You deactivate your heatstone, put out the torch beneath a pile of gravel, pack everything up, and let Kagerou know you're ready to go.
>She nods. "Okay, let's."

>The two of you carry forward along the western path out of the hollow. For what is essentially a hole in the side of a rock, it's surprisingly picturesque, with small bands of brightly colored minerals streaked here and there through the walls, all the way out; every now and again the moon catches one of them and makes it scintillate faintly. The footing is slightly uneven, between the patches of gravel and lumpy rock beneath, but less-so than some of the forest you've already trodden.
>It is only a couple of minutes before you spy an opening ahead, though quite a few more to actually reach it. The interlocking rock above recedes and the light of the moon is let in in full. Bare stone gives way to thin soil and then moss, with a stand of reedy birch just beyond. Kagerou glances around the terrain for just a moment, then points at a bare patch between the trees and a lone boulder.
>"This way."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #350 on: May 04, 2015, 05:52:11 AM »
>"Right."
>Make with the following.

« Reply #351 on: May 04, 2015, 09:04:04 AM »
>"Right."
>Make with the following.

>You follow Kagerou as she leads further into the woods, past the boulder and along a small depression that skirts the thickest of the trees. Mostly she follows the curve of the terrain, moving wherever the ground itself suggests is easiest to move while still heading westward, though a few times she points out some small landmark she's using to orient herself ? a tall hill crowned with a gnarled pair of dead oaks, a small fen dotted with tiny red wildflowers. Her knowledge of the terrain in this area seems less intimate than it was earlier, though you're still making good time. Once, you are forced to backtrack several minutes when you emerge from a tangled stand of trees onto the wrong side of a shear ridge ? Kagerou's apologies are profuse ? but largely your progress is without incident.
>Far more bothersome is how little time has passed before you find your steps feeling leaden, your body weary. It's just as well Kagerou's not being very talkative, since you don't think you could hold much of a conversation right now. It's been a long day, you've spent quite a few hours of it hiking, and you're... not well. But you soldier on, putting one foot in front of the other. One foot in front of the other. You're thankful you have someone else to lead you, so all you have to do is plod along behind them ? less thinking that way. Thinking takes too much effort.
>It's damnably frustrating to, in the same moment, want to forge onward until dawn and collapse right where you stand. Instead you do neither. One foot in front of the other, Nazrin. You can keep going as long as she can. Are you ever going to reach that glen?

>The last leg of the journey passes in a dull haze, the steady voyage of the moon above your only anchor to the passage of time. She slowed the pace for you. You told her not to and she did it anyway and then you pretended not to notice. You didn't want to need it. It feels like reality hasn't cared much about what you've wanted for a while now. Perhaps you ought to thank her for that when you're more lucid. When you're somewhere that isn't all trees and hills and rocks and trees.

>As you trudge up yet another ridge lined with patches of thick scrub and stocky beech, Kagerou pauses. She takes a good look at something to her left and then with two words relieves your weary spirit.
>?We're here.?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #352 on: May 04, 2015, 04:51:12 PM »
>"Good..."
>Try not to collapse, just set up something to sleep in.

« Reply #353 on: May 05, 2015, 03:17:31 AM »
>"Good..."
>Try not to collapse, just set up something to sleep in.

>Kagerou descends the bank and you follow gratefully after her, carefully sliding down the loose soil into the rocky basin below. The glen is scarcely thirty feet wide at this point, but very long; you could see it wind through the terrain for more than a mile while you were on its lip. It is cut through its center by a thin rivulet of flowing water; calling it a river feels far too generous, but it looks fresh and clear and drinkable. Small leafy plants and clusters of buttercups and the occasional violet dot the edges of the waterside. A short distance to the south is a sheltered overhang, where the edge of the terrain above forms a narrow canopy, trailing leafy green. It should be reasonably protected from the elements if it decides to rain overnight, and the ground is mossy and soft.

>You follow Kagerou over to tonight's resting place and doff your pack with a grateful sigh.
>Kagerou chuckles wanly. She also looks tired, though not nearly as tired as you feel. ?I guess there's no chance you have a second sleeping bag in there, is there??

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #354 on: May 05, 2015, 03:52:12 PM »
>"Eh, guess you can have it, since I drug you out here."

« Reply #355 on: May 05, 2015, 07:08:56 PM »
>"Eh, guess you can have it, since I drug you out here."

>It seems rather unkind to get Kagerou's hopes up in this way when you don't even have the one.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #356 on: May 05, 2015, 07:52:12 PM »
>When the hell did we not get a basic supply when resupplying at a border town?
>Don't bother saying that, then. "I'm just looking for something to use as a pillow."

« Reply #357 on: May 05, 2015, 08:08:24 PM »
>When the hell did we not get a basic supply when resupplying at a border town?
>Don't bother saying that, then. "I'm just looking for something to use as a pillow."

>Perhaps it was an oversight while you were deciding what to purchase from the fort's surplus?
>"Well, the ground's about as comfortable as one could hope for, I guess," she says with some modest resignation, feeling the moss with her hand. Then she sinks down on it, resting her back against the wall of the depression.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #358 on: May 06, 2015, 01:29:19 AM »
>Do we have enough to at least offer her an ersatz pillow?

« Reply #359 on: May 06, 2015, 02:00:06 AM »
>Do we have enough to at least offer her an ersatz pillow?

>Between another spare and dry outfit of yours, and the heavy cloak you purchased from the fort's surplus, you think there's enough to finagle at least a little something for both of you.