Author Topic: 東方人工天災 - Iridescent Bloom (Alpha 13 "Judgement")  (Read 40817 times)

Delfigamer

• * Merry, bride, absolute (HR)
  • of course the best girl never wins
Re: Iridescent Bloom Alpha 5
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2013, 02:27:39 PM »
I guess, the scenario ends.
Game end requires special implementation, which seems to be still undone.

The Jealous Witch did nothing wrong.

Dark Kitsune

• Code Fox
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2013, 12:47:40 AM »
I'm still working on making more stages, hence "Alpha 5" in the name. It doesn't end, because there will be more levels. When you defeat Mugetsu, it tries to load the next stage, but it doesn't exist so it just does nothing.

I'll start making stage 4 after GMC Jam #10 competition ends. My entry for that competition will be made with this same engine, too! I might post stuff about it on here to get input on the patterns and stuff.

Also, has anyone beaten Stages 1-3 on Deity yet?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 12:56:11 AM by Ran Yakumo »

Dark Kitsune

• Code Fox
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2013, 06:07:08 AM »
Began work on stage 4.

Stage music: Entering Inferno (Original song)
Boss music: Haven't decided yet

Mid-boss: Haven't decided yet, maybe Rumia.

Boss: Honouko Ryujin (Salamander Youkai)

Basic summary for stage 4: The heroine sees smoke in the forest and goes to find clues/suspects/whatever for the incident. Along the way, they run into Rumia(?), who is escaping in the opposite direction. After a quick fight, she explains that the light from a forest fire had weakened her and she is fleeing to areas her darkness can touch. The heroine continues further until reaching the edge of the inferno. A cheerful Honouko greets them, the heroine accuses Honouko of causing the fire, and a fight ensues. After the fight, Honouko defends herself, saying that she hadn't created the fire, rather she was attracted to it because she is a salamander youkai. She says she saw some human-like silhouette leave the site, then it suddenly disappeared.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 06:10:15 AM by Ran Yakumo »

Maths ~Angelic Version~

• Aspiring Mathematician of Brilliant Laziness
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2013, 11:02:21 AM »
This is not a problem, more a question of style, but your bosses' attacks seem to rely more on speed and less on intricate bullet patterns than the attacks you can find in most Touhou games and danmaku fangames.

Possible issues I've found:
-You might want to add/improve deathbombing
-I think the invincibility after death should be extended. It's easy to die twice because the period of invincibility is short.
-Bosses appear very suddenly. It feels like I'm just playing the stage, then the boss suddenly appears on the top of the screen without warning, then it's battle time. At least have the boss enter the screen like Touhou bosses do.
-The stage 1 fairies shoot fast bullets if you fail to kill them in time. The bullets are fast, so it's hard to react to them if you don't know it in advance. Getting killed by a fast bullet in stage 1 may not be the most motivating experience to a new player.
-Cirno's last noncard is annoying with the icicles changing direction without warning
-Bomb damage carries over between attacks (if you bomb near the end of an attack, the bomb can damage the next card as well)
-For some reason, I find Mugetsu's noncards very hard to read, even on Easy and Normal.
-Some of the bosses have annoying movement patterns (too fast and too unpredictable. I know some Touhou bosses, like Futo in one of her Spell Cards, move around a lot, but at least Futo's movement is predictable)
- If you plan to make your bosses drop items after the end of a Spell Card attack when it's not the last card of the battle, you should make small pauses between attacks.

Anyway, I hope some of that helps and that I wasn't too harsh. It's pretty interesting to see someone code a danmaku game from scratch (no offence, Danmakufu users). I really like the effects. The game looks great  :)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 05:15:40 PM by Maths ~Angelic Version~ »

Dark Kitsune

• Code Fox
Re: Iridescent Bloom Alpha 6
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2013, 10:55:41 PM »
Okay, updated again! (Alpha 6)

Alpha 6 Game changes:
- No changes

Alpha 6 Engine changes:
- Added pause between all boss attacks
- Decreased damage to bosses by 40%
- Bosses now fly in instead of appearing
- Added an energy gathering effect at the start of each attack
- Boss health-bar-thingy now increases and decreases smoothly
- Fixed some bomb delay issues

Known bugs:
- The high-health enemies only shoot 2 bullets (on lunatic and below) before leaving the screen
- Sometimes (rarely) crashes when checking for updates

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2013, 11:20:59 AM »
Today I got some time to play your game, it looks pretty good, I think that you are reusing too much the same fairies (that shoots aimed red shards and yellow balls). Also in my computer I can't open your game if I am without internet connection.

+1 to everything that Maths said:
-For some reason, I find Mugetsu's noncards very hard to read, even on Easy and Normal.
It reminds Yukari's Double Black Death Butterfly, hard hard :V

My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Dark Kitsune

• Code Fox
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2013, 01:37:44 AM »
Also in my computer I can't open your game if I am without internet connection.
I need to fix the auto-updater so it doesn't crash if it can't connect to the update server...

+1 to everything that Maths said:It reminds Yukari's Double Black Death Butterfly, hard hard :V
Working on it.

And the next version will have another stage, boss animation, improved focus graphics, improved emulation of the Touhou sound system, and better effects.

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2013, 02:46:52 AM »
Sorry if someone asked this question before but does your game support fullscreen?
And why it only support 30fps?
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Dark Kitsune

• Code Fox
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2013, 10:57:58 PM »
Sorry if someone asked this question before but does your game support fullscreen?
For now, press F4.

And why it only support 30fps?
It's made in Game Maker 8, so the engine has painful lag spikes on the larger spells if I turn it up to 60 FPS.

Dark Kitsune

• Code Fox
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2013, 04:01:40 AM »
I started making Stage 4 yesterday, and it's about... 70% done as of now. This one is going to use some cool new mechanics I created for the bullet emitters.

(Not to toot my own horn, but I love this spell card maker I designed. It allows me to reel out quite complicated spell cards within 10 minutes each!)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 04:04:59 AM by Ran Yakumo »

Dark Kitsune

• Code Fox
Re: Iridescent Bloom Alpha 7
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2013, 04:01:10 AM »
Update! (Alpha 7, "Salamander")

Alpha 7 Game changes:
- Added Stage 4!
- Redesigned HUD thingy.

Alpha 7 Engine changes:
- Better emulation of the Touhou sound.
- Improved graphics here and there.
- Fixed a mistake that made your hitbox actually 2 pixels to the right of where it should be...

Known bugs:
- The high-health enemies only shoot 2-3 bullets (on lunatic and below) before leaving the screen

PhantomSong

• The Ghost Living through Everyday Life.
  • Eh, it doesn't matter.
Re: Iridescent Bloom Alpha 7 - "Salamander"
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2013, 09:38:59 PM »
An error pops up near the beginning

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2013, 10:35:55 PM »
Every time I lost all my lives, I got this:

Code: [Select]
ERROR in
action number 1
of Draw Event
for object back3d:

Trying to use non-existing surface.

Played "Salamander" version, normal difficulty, all characters.

Otherwise it was good, I liked the patterns and the gameplay. You've done a good job with this game.

I also loved how you nerfed Icicle Fall.

Dark Kitsune

• Code Fox
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2013, 11:18:43 PM »
Ah, thanks for notifying me. Uploading a fix update, and it should be ready within an hour.

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2013, 11:04:30 PM »
Oh I played it here, it is working, the first time after updating it crashed but it is working now. I only think that the graze system isn't working well, I beat stage 3 with 2 graze points :V
Well I didn't have many time to play so I can't give you good feedback about the 4th boss, I played on normal and I think that it is a bit weak compared to touhou stage 4 bosses.
Also maybe Mokou's bomb is too overpower when you move yourself over the boss, it does a lot of damage. Maybe you should reduce her speed while bombing to avoid this.

( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Dark Kitsune

• Code Fox
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2013, 06:55:16 AM »
>_< Just realized the description still said "1 basic stage". Fixed.

Some ideas for stage 5:
Thinking of bringing back Reisen and Mokou. Stage theme will probably be dark red and misty.

And still absolutely no ideas for a plot -.- I need a scriptwriter or something.

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2013, 12:55:16 PM »
You should have a story before starting to create the game :o
At least a final objective , a final boss, after creating it you can "fill" the game with minor bosses and connect them with some story. As far as I know in the Touhou series the fifth boss is strongly connected with the 6th one.
BTW will your game have dialogues?
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

PhantomSong

• Eh, it doesn't matter.
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2013, 12:21:10 AM »
Story Writers you saay~ I could be of some use~  :3

Edit:
http://pastebin.com/8WdANR9c
(Cirno and Momiji dialogue with Rin

And to clear confusion on Momiji's dialogue:
Aya told Momiji that Lord Tenma wanted all the tengus on guard duty.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 12:51:32 AM by PhantomSong »

« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2013, 12:30:58 AM »
I keep getting this error:

I was just flying around and then when a fairy reached the middle of the screen that error popped up. Pressing ignore just makes it pop up again.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 12:33:26 AM by Hinacle »

PhantomSong

• Eh, it doesn't matter.
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2013, 12:48:50 AM »
I keep getting this error:

I was just flying around and then when a fairy reached the middle of the screen that error popped up. Pressing ignore just makes it pop up again.
I also keep getting it on Stage 2

« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2013, 04:44:54 AM »
I kind of want to try to make all the scenarios because no story just makes stage 1-3 seem pointless and just a string of random boss fights.
In EOSD, The Heroin fought Rumia because they needed practice. They also fought Cirno because she got in the way.
I would help with the story if you want.

Other than that, I find it unique to have a custom character after four Touhou characters. I see you have some kind of story there, I kind of like it, but make sure, at the end, to make a story for having to fight the first four Touhou characters.
You are making good progress and I hope to see more from you.
Currently a normal player

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2013, 07:14:53 AM »
Looks pretty good, although those stages are pretty boring. The attacks are relatively conservative in design; it would be nice to see just a small handful of gimmick cards, but that's just personal preference.

Dark Kitsune

• Code Fox
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2013, 06:54:35 AM »
Still can't find the source of those errors -.-

I've kinda been rushing out the stages (At most 2 days work each) and I'm gonna go back and fill the holes after the layout is done. And don't worry, I've had a basic plot set out since I started working on this project. I actually came up with an idea for the 6th stage boss long before the first line of code was written.

I'm gonna keep most of it secret until I get there, but I will tell you that the 6th stage boss is a rather creepy girl named "Onishi Kageyumi".
Also, the next playable character will most likely be Rinnosuke.

I'm working on a new IDE to streamline working with Bloom Engine 2, so future updates should be quicker and more organized.

PhantomSong

• Eh, it doesn't matter.
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2013, 12:13:37 AM »
You should make Koishi or Satori playable :3

Dark Kitsune

• Code Fox
Re: Iridescent Bloom Alpha 8 - "Kappa"
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2013, 12:41:03 AM »
Update! Alpha 8 - "Kappa"
Alpha 8 Game changes:
- Improved some stage appearances
- Fixed those enemies!
- Fixed the "o.speed" error!

Alpha 8 Engine changes:
- Fixed the complex 3D scene handler
- Added extra 2D drawing handler
- Redesigned some internal code to work with BloomDev

Known bugs:

Dark Kitsune

• Code Fox
Iridescent Bloom Alpha 9 - "Florescence"
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2013, 04:42:55 PM »
Update! Alpha 9 - "Florescence"

Alpha 9 Game changes:
- Heavily improved stage 1 & 4 backgrounds
- Made Momiji's spell cards less aggravating

Alpha 9 Engine changes:
- Added more changable appearances
- Added spell bonus
- Added timeout
- Added score tables and saving

Known bugs:

Darkness1

• Nothing to see here.
  • Enigmatic, isn't it?
Re: Iridescent Bloom Alpha 9 - "Florescence"
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2013, 09:55:19 PM »
I tried playing this one again and it sure has improved now. All the effects are wonderful and the stages are more interesting. Still some generic complaints:
- Stage 3 and 4's bosses both seem to have in common to have decent spellcards but unfair nonspells.
- Stage 4 has a really annoying background movement, especially with the shiny color.
- I got an error at the beginning of stage 4, which probably had something to do with that I got no warning from the fairies suddenly appearing underneath me and cheapshotting me.
- Bombs still feels unresponsive and kind of weak in that way.

Dark Kitsune

• Code Fox
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2013, 11:36:16 PM »
I tried playing this one again and it sure has improved now. All the effects are wonderful and the stages are more interesting. Still some generic complaints:
- Stage 3 and 4's bosses both seem to have in common to have decent spellcards but unfair nonspells.
- Stage 4 has a really annoying background movement, especially with the shiny color.
- I got an error at the beginning of stage 4, which probably had something to do with that I got no warning from the fairies suddenly appearing underneath me and cheapshotting me.
- Bombs still feels unresponsive and kind of weak in that way.
Thanks for giving me those complaints, especially thanks for making them in a list like that. It helps me eliminate anything that detracts from the game.

And a little sneak preview of the next stage (Vs. Remilia and Flandre)

Darkness1

• Nothing to see here.
  • Enigmatic, isn't it?
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2013, 10:33:51 AM »
And a little sneak preview of the next stage (Vs. Remilia and Flandre)
Looks nice (especially considering Remilia is one of my favorite characters, both in personality and danmaku).
Another thing, which isn't that important, but having the delayed lasers length going from 0 to max before they activate often looks better and less startling.

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
  • Git ready, git set, PUUSH!
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2013, 11:57:29 PM »
It crashed for me. Again.