Author Topic: Touhou Accomplishments Thread 19: 90FPS FOR EVERYONE  (Read 221855 times)

Lepetit89

• Deranged Collector
Re: Touhou Accomplishments Thread 19: 90FPS FOR EVERYONE
« Reply #210 on: December 09, 2012, 07:25:22 PM »
Congratulations!
I'd say you should go for IN next, but, as Wriggle said, PCB is also a good option. Both games offer lots of resources, though PCB mainly has the borders going for it which, if used strategically, can drastically improve the amount of resources at your disposal, not to mention the great amount of Extra Lives you can get. In the end, I'd say it depends on which bosses you feel you can handle more easily.

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #211 on: December 09, 2012, 07:28:46 PM »
I managed to 1cc UFO Normal with MarisaB, finally. But getting my fifth UFO Normal 1cc in itself isn't the amazing thing. It was the fact that I captured, for the first time ever, "Flying Fantastica." With MarisaB.
And I ended the run with five lives instead of one or two as I normally do. With MarisaB.
 :o

@Wriggle I think IN is easier than EoSD and PCB. I don't know why, but I do.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 07:30:57 PM by Validon98 »
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

« Reply #212 on: December 09, 2012, 07:36:12 PM »
Please allow me to 1-up this.

I finally got a no focus, no vert timeout of Fantasy Seal  -Fader- Lunatic. This literally took me about 610 tries, after doing a normal timeout in less than 10. I had 2 deaths at 1 second left and countless awesome dodges/epic fails. Basically I was doing this in groups of 200 attempts at a time. I got to 200 today, died to the first wave and said "no that's not okay."

Then I tried again...

Also Zil, when did you finally get your 90 mil run in PoDD? I noticed the signature changed.
Damn congrats! The card itself is hard enough already, but the no vert condition sounds rather painful.

My first timeout of Iwafune had like 250 attempts thrown at it too. Then the no-focus timeout immediately after that took 400 more.

It's easier to timeout for most people because most people focus on following her by reflex when their aim is to capture. (I'm not one of them)
Erm wouldn't that imply that most people would capture the card by staying under her than timing it out? (Sorry maybe my sentence parsing ability isn't working right now).

Am very happy! I finally got a Hard 1cc of Ten Desires. Don't know which Hard 1cc I should go for next though.
Anyone got a suggestion for what would be the next easiest game?
Woot! I think you can throw caution to the winds and just do whatever game you want really. They're all in the same ballpark of difficulty on Hard, except for SA and UFO, which I think are a level above the rest. I believe I did them in numerical order (EoSD to PCB to IN to MoF and onwards), but I don't think it really matters too much. You'll get to them all eventually!

« Reply #213 on: December 09, 2012, 07:47:52 PM »
It was PCB > EoSD > IN for me. But many people find IN easier, I don't get that.

Probably what your skillset is like. If someone is good at memorization he may find IN easy because a lot of it can be done through memorization. EoSD, meanwhile, has a lot less memorization and a lot more pure dodging involved, so if you don't like memorizing but you're good at dodging you may find that easier.

Sakurei

• Banned
  • Frequently repeated unapologetic hostility
    • My Blog
« Reply #214 on: December 09, 2012, 07:49:39 PM »
and so fell another extra on 90 fps. this time suwako. another 0 life ending, though :v nothing to keep a replay over.

score was TERRIBAD, too.

died twice to suwako's 2nd spellcard. I don't even know how.

as for easy to hardest games on hard

do PCB. IN still has kaguya and she's starting to become a bitch on hard. I generally say I can't clear if I don't have at leat 4 extra lives in stock. and that's a ridiculous amount, for any boss. I need less for byakuren :V

« Reply #215 on: December 09, 2012, 08:04:45 PM »
So I captured Sylphae Horn High Level on lunatic for the first time ever today. :]
Getting clipped since Feb. 2012.

Youtube

Tumblr

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #216 on: December 09, 2012, 08:53:22 PM »
Erm wouldn't that imply that most people would capture the card by staying under her than timing it out? (Sorry maybe my sentence parsing ability isn't working right now).
I'm pretty sure they'd follow her around and capture the card that way.

I beat IN Hard when I was still beating Extra stages (hell, even before that) on pretty much my first try.

Have I been missing out? Is is secretly remotely a challenge? I can't really say since I played it only once.

« Reply #217 on: December 09, 2012, 09:11:38 PM »
After one attempt that ended at Curse of Vlad Tepes and two that ended at the nonspell right afterwards, I finally managed to 1cc EoSD normal! When I went into Red Magic 2/1, I knew that nothing could stop me, and I finished 1/2 in the end. Captured Red Star of David and CoVT along the way.
I also was about to perfect stage 5, but then I decided to choke (read: die) on Sakuya's last non and managed to waste 3 bombs on her last, oh well.
I have suspicions that I have played more EoSD in the last two days than I have ever before (not really), but at least the concept of having no visible hitbox isn't thaat alien to me anymore (the bullet hitboxes suck, though (curse you, Undine!)).

I peeked at the extra stage for a bit and Silent Selene alone is better than anything that Ex-Kogasa has to offer.

Since 1cc'ing IN 6A isn't that migh up my priority list, I now have the choice between completing the 5 extra stages I haven't beaten yet, trying other shottypes for normal, or starting hard. Seems IN is a good choice if I go with the latter, but extra stages are more interesting atm.
Lunatic 1ccs: MoF (ReimuB)

Zil

« Reply #218 on: December 09, 2012, 10:39:58 PM »
Also Zil, when did you finally get your 90 mil run in PoDD? I noticed the signature changed.
Oh, so people actually look at that. Sometime last night, it was.

Anyway, yeah. 90 fucking million.

Nice to finally break that barrier. I've also learned a few things. Like the way fireballs seem to disappear when reflected sometimes. I think that's because you can only have 8 EX attacks out at once. The game tries to turn the fireballs into EX attacks, but there's no room for them so they just disappear (and the other player gets a wall of bullets with no fireballs to help reflect them). I also broke 70mil with Rikako, in case anyone cares to see that.

I should probably slow down a bit now. Study for exams and crap. I plan to beat every score I know of that's higher than my own. Probably saving Chiyuri for last. Gonna have to check the NicoNico videos, but iirc the Ellen score was the only one higher then mine there. 81mil or something.

RNG

• Lord of all that Bullshits
« Reply #220 on: December 10, 2012, 02:52:52 AM »
Made it to Chiyuri with 4 lives. It... didn't help :derp:

I don't understand how you can enjoy this game's scoring so much, Zil. I mean, it's a good Touhou game, great dodging, but like I got 6m on Stage 1 playing as Rikako due to some sort of coincidence, then got 5m from the next 5 stages combined. It's all so frustratingly random.

Sakurei

• Banned
    • My Blog
« Reply #221 on: December 10, 2012, 03:13:33 AM »
RNG, I know that. I, too, feel like that game's scoring is super arbitrary and I have some weird shit going on score-wise, too. who are you playing, if I may ask?

Yatakarasu

• Always failing, sometimes winning!
  • Fail mode activate!
« Reply #222 on: December 10, 2012, 03:21:52 AM »
Captured Ran's second and third spell cards. Now if only "Charming Siege" would be nice.

Normal Clears: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC
Hard Clears: PoFV, SA, TD, DDC
Extra Clears: PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC
Current touhou goal: Improve! ...1cc more Hard Modes

RNG

• Lord of all that Bullshits
« Reply #223 on: December 10, 2012, 03:51:34 AM »
It switches, Sakurei. I like Mima quite a bit but she has St.7 Reimu who is a hate machine. Mostly Rikako because her charge attack is 8)

« Reply #224 on: December 10, 2012, 04:03:14 AM »
PoDD's scoring is great because the more you crank up the difficulty, the higher you score.  That is, the more of a badass you are, the more badass your score becomes.

And that's beautiful.

There are random elements in the game, all of which can affect scoring, but scoring itself isn't random.  Cancel everything fairy chains (using lvl1s to nab additional fireballs and cancel-able bullets), avoid chain-dropping as much as possible, and fire lvl2s as convenient to add cancel-able bullets (and get a little bonus).  Or that's the dummy's version, at least; Zil's obviously more intimate with it.  I mainly wanted to say that PoDD's scoring is great.
eb: there should be a shmup that is sort of like podd minus the versus shit
eb: you go dodging semirandom things then it goes WARNING GET OUT OF THE WAY MOTHERFUCKER and you get a shitstorm
KB: and there is no way out of the way
eb: the way is through

« Reply #225 on: December 10, 2012, 04:08:25 AM »
Captured Ran's second and third spell cards. Now if only "Charming Siege" would be nice.

I'm glad ZUN nerfed Yukari's version of it. :V

A bit off-topic, but I'll list which Extra's spellcards I find harder than their Phantasm's equivalent, cuz I'm bored as hell right now:
Blue Oni Red Oni > Protection of Zenki and Goki
Banquet for 12 Gods > Balance of Motion and Silence
Charming Siege > Xanadu of Straight and Curve
Princess Tenko > Yukari's Spiriting Away (I feel like Ran chases you faster)
Shikigami Chen > Shikigami Ran
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 04:26:11 AM by Wriggle »

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #226 on: December 10, 2012, 04:27:07 AM »
In the process of doing some ~secret work~, I perfected EX Alice for the second time, once more with Yuka. Woo! Also the score was 93 million or something, but who cares about stuff like that like amirite you'd have to be the type who likes watching suicide bullets shoot their own suicide bullet.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 04:32:08 AM by nintendonut888 »
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #227 on: December 10, 2012, 05:10:30 AM »

GFW Extra cleared... Yeah I don't feel terribly excited by this one because the strategy was basically to not screw up during the stage so I could go into Marisa with enough resources to essentially cheese my way through Big Crunch, Open Universe, and Super Perseid. Not to mention that I'm terrible at Master Spark and Grand Cross, losing a life on both. I dunno. The first time I did them, I got a silver medal. I don't think I've done that since.

It's funny to think that I once thought Extra bosses generally weren't too hard. Ha. Ha ha. Ha. Sigh. This game. THIS GAME.

Goldom

• Whee
« Reply #228 on: December 10, 2012, 05:17:36 AM »
A bit off-topic, but I'll list which Extra's spellcards I find harder than their Phantasm's equivalent, cuz I'm bored as hell right now:
Blue Oni Red Oni > Protection of Zenki and Goki
Banquet for 12 Gods > Balance of Motion and Silence
Charming Siege > Xanadu of Straight and Curve
Princess Tenko > Yukari's Spiriting Away (I feel like Ran chases you faster)
Shikigami Chen > Shikigami Ran

I agree with most of those, though I find 12 Gods pretty simple... but Chen harder than Ran? On Chen you can practically just sit still, then move up and down one or two times during the whole thing.

Accomplishments: DS stages 9-8 and 10-2. Getting to be where passing a single stage at this point is an hour long task...

« Reply #229 on: December 10, 2012, 07:11:17 AM »
I find Shikigami Ran much harder than Chen because Ran flies at the most random angles while Chen just alternates between left and right. I might have not found the trick for Ran yet, but I didn't even need to figure anything out for Chen and captured it relatively quickly so there's that. Chen is really by far the easiest 8th spell I've seen so far (I don't know how hard Counter Clock is, but I've heard Rainbow UFO is pretty tough).

As for Tenko/YSA, it's not that Ran moves faster, it's that her bullets linger for longer, whereas all of YSA's extra stuff is basically just for show. Sad to say that YSA is the only extra stage spell I captured on my first try (maybe Suiga but I don't remember), but at least my history is perfect on it so far.
Lunatic 1ccs: MoF (ReimuB)

Karisa

• Extend!
  • High scores are meant to be broken.
« Reply #230 on: December 10, 2012, 08:22:47 AM »
Shikigami Ran's movement isn't very random. She alternates between top-left-bottom-top-right-bottom and so on, and every time she reaches the bottom of the screen, she aims for your position. And the horizontal butterflies that come from Ran when she's on the bottom can't hit you, so staying on the very bottom of the screen, alternating between directing her to the left and right, is pretty safe (though the diagonal butterflies can still hit you so don't stay too close to her). I captured it at 91fps without much trouble.

Meanwhile, although Chen does indeed alternate between left and right, the precise location she ends up in seems rather random, not aimed at you like Ran is, so you have to actually be concerned about dodging Chen as well as the butterflies. And the bottom isn't very safe.

Also Counter Clock is the easiest 8th Extra card by far. I think I may have even captured it on my first try.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 09:00:11 AM by Karisa »

Zil

« Reply #231 on: December 10, 2012, 09:01:48 AM »
I don't understand how you can enjoy this game's scoring so much, Zil. I mean, it's a good Touhou game, great dodging, but like I got 6m on Stage 1 playing as Rikako due to some sort of coincidence, then got 5m from the next 5 stages combined. It's all so frustratingly random.
Like K.B. said, it has this great sort of "custom difficulty" to it. The more spells you use, the harder it gets, and the higher you score, etc. And personally, I find that the general gameplay involved is just the most amazing thing. Guiding the bullets and fireballs to where you want them, timing the destruction of enemies, using charge attacks, dealing with bosses, all that. I dunno, it's just incredibly fun to me, even more so because of how unpredictable it is. You don't just plan every move in advance. You have to continually react to situations you've never seen before, aggressively going after whatever opportunities present themselves. It's like the quintessential video game. I can't promise you'll experience it the same way though.

And speaking of Mima...

Chuckolator

• ex-perfecter, good times
« Reply #232 on: December 10, 2012, 09:33:25 AM »
And speaking of Mima...
You know what you must do Wow, considering you were celebrating a 90m run earlier today that's awesome. What do you think the optimal score is?
Aiming to perfect every stage in Touhou. loljk don't care anymore You can find my perfects here or here.
Best perfects so far include UFO 6, MoF 4 and IN 6A.

formerly known as Seiga Kaku

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #233 on: December 10, 2012, 10:26:09 AM »
GFW Extra cleared... Yeah I don't feel terribly excited by this one because the strategy was basically to not screw up during the stage so I could go into Marisa with enough resources to essentially cheese my way through Big Crunch, Open Universe, and Super Perseid. Not to mention that I'm terrible at Master Spark and Grand Cross, losing a life on both. I dunno. The first time I did them, I got a silver medal. I don't think I've done that since.

It's funny to think that I once thought Extra bosses generally weren't too hard. Ha. Ha ha. Ha. Sigh. This game. THIS GAME.
Yeah, getting to Marisa with at least 500% motivation helps quite a bit! It's mostly a matter of minimizing mistakes and you have your run. (if only that'd be so easy to do on 90fps!)

And speaking of Mima...
On a scale of 1 to 10, how crazy is this? I don't actually play the game so I wouldn't know.

Sakurei

• Banned
    • My Blog
« Reply #234 on: December 10, 2012, 10:30:33 AM »
I keep forgetting, but I have to write Zil down into the monster category. BT, this is at the least a full ten.

what the fuck is wrong with people here :V congratulations on that almost 100 million score. crazy stuff. always impressed again. Can't clear this game for shits somehow; and you pull one lunatic 1cc after another. with some real high scores to boot.

minimizing mistakes. ha...ha...ha...blergh. yeah, still bitter about that 1DNB.

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #235 on: December 10, 2012, 11:03:37 AM »
I'm mostly talking about those times where you die here and there and there and suddenly it stacks and you can't even pass Open Universe.

Not very fun.

Lepetit89

• Deranged Collector
« Reply #236 on: December 10, 2012, 11:07:34 AM »
Like K.B. said, it has this great sort of "custom difficulty" to it. The more spells you use, the harder it gets, and the higher you score, etc. And personally, I find that the general gameplay involved is just the most amazing thing. Guiding the bullets and fireballs to where you want them, timing the destruction of enemies, using charge attacks, dealing with bosses, all that. I dunno, it's just incredibly fun to me, even more so because of how unpredictable it is. You don't just plan every move in advance. You have to continually react to situations you've never seen before, aggressively going after whatever opportunities present themselves. It's like the quintessential video game. I can't promise you'll experience it the same way though.

And speaking of Mima...

No idea how hard this is, but judging from the reactions it's quite awesome, congratulations!

« Reply #237 on: December 10, 2012, 12:17:44 PM »
Oh, so people actually look at that. Sometime last night, it was.

Anyway, yeah. 90 fucking million.

And by the time I read this you had already gotten 98 mil... lol why u such a beast  :o

Damn congrats! The card itself is hard enough already, but the no vert condition sounds rather painful.

After all that, it's not really too hard anymore. I would almost daresay I can read it lol, but not really. It mainly started with me just screwing around and a few times I made some crazy dodges and figured "wow this can probably be done." Of course it took somewhere between 3 and 4 hours of just playing the attack before it worked.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 12:20:43 PM by Chalros22 »
Current Goals: Clear all games on hard with every shottype (or team, not all solos in IN)

Remaining: EoSD 0, PCB 3, IN 0, MoF 3 (Marisa B doesn't count), SA 4, UFO all B types, TD Youmu, total 14.

« Reply #238 on: December 10, 2012, 12:47:50 PM »
I mainly wanted to say that PoDD's scoring is great.

Haha,, yeah okay.  :] I think you are the first person I've ever heard utter those words.  :)

PoDD for STGT 13  :V

PMW

• Touhou is only hard when you try
    • My tumblr
« Reply #239 on: December 10, 2012, 02:16:30 PM »
YES FINALLY

Perfected max rank LLS Marisa  :toot: :toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

Another PC-98 Boss down! Now only both Yuuka fights, Reimu and Gengetsu are left to perfect at max rank.

Wish I could record pc-98 stuff though, anyone know if there's a way to record anex98 with fraps?

And speaking of Mima...

Whoa congrats on the crazy score, I tried to play this and since I got anihilated on lunatic, I played normal and barely 1cc'd with Reimu, it's definitly an extremely fun game, but it seems I'll need a lot more of practice if I ever want to try get a lunatic 1cc.