Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 10)  (Read 46922 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 10)
« Reply #240 on: August 06, 2012, 02:38:08 AM »
>Inventory

>Kumokirimaru (worn at side)
>Prism Pendant (around neck)
>Seeker's Badge (pinned to chest)
>360 Val Razuan guilders
>Compass
>Traveling pack
>Traveling rations
>Canteen (full)
>Lockpicks
>4 kunai
>Picture of Sokrates
>Fuwafuwa Heart Droplet
>XR-30 intake flow regulator (heavily rusted)
>Antique Val Razuan 1 guilder coin
>Dowsing rods
>Tie-dyed umbrella
>Spool of baling twine
>Bottle of Kumokirimaru-imbued medicine
>Sachet of blessed soil
>List of physicians' contact addresses
>Neu's note
>Pencil
>100 feet of rope
>2 glowsticks
>2 torches
>Small heatstone
>Basic grappling hook
>Blue ribbon
>Two spare outfits (one somewhat damaged)

« Reply #241 on: August 06, 2012, 02:47:51 AM »
>Good enough.
>Guess it's time. Let us get back on the ground. Pavement. Whatever.

« Reply #242 on: August 06, 2012, 03:13:20 AM »
>Good enough.
>Guess it's time. Let us get back on the ground. Pavement. Whatever.

>With all your possessions in hand, you return to the deck. As you start to descend the ramp to solid ground, you hear a brusk voice call out from behind you.
>"You take care, got it?" Murasa flashes you the sort of expression which brooks no disagreement.

« Reply #243 on: August 06, 2012, 03:29:16 AM »
>Toss her a quick salute. "Count on it, captain!"
>Examine the dockside for points of interest.

« Reply #244 on: August 06, 2012, 03:48:25 AM »
>Toss her a quick salute. "Count on it, captain!"
>Examine the dockside for points of interest.

>You toss Murasa a quick salute. She sizes you up for a moment, then gives you a curt nod and a little grin before turning back to her work.
>You take a look around the harbor, noting warehouses and watch posts and all the various staples of harbor infrastructure; whether in Val Razua or Braston, much of the work of managing shipping is the same. Nothing strikes you as particularly interesting, at least compared to the city itself, though you do eventually notice the conspicuous absence of something. You can't spot even a single pub from here - a sure sign of absent oni if ever there was one. The place does bustle with activity, though; people move purposefully back and forth the docks, loading and unloading cargo, and ushering passengers towards their destinations.
>To the west runs a long road that descends towards the heart of Val Razua, while smaller roads lead to other parts of the harbor and the service buildings to the north of it.

« Reply #245 on: August 06, 2012, 03:51:00 AM »
>What kind of city doesn't have a dockside watering hole?!
>Let's consult Neu's note, see which location she noted for us is closest to here.

« Reply #246 on: August 06, 2012, 03:57:13 AM »
>What kind of city doesn't have a dockside watering hole?!
>Let's consult Neu's note, see which location she noted for us is closest to here.

>To be perfectly fair, the harbor is lengthy enough that there could easily be one or even several here - you just can't see them from the Maiden's berth. A sufficient number of oni would almost certainly correct this problem.
>You pull out Neu's note and check the directions written on it. They really are copiously detailed, but given that you don't actually know the lengths of any of the streets in question, you'd be hard-pressed to tell which destination is closer.

« Reply #247 on: August 06, 2012, 04:04:21 AM »
>Ah, yes. The joys of modern urban pathway nomenclature to new arrivals.
>Place the note back in our pack and head down towards the heart of the city.

« Reply #248 on: August 06, 2012, 05:01:52 AM »
>Ah, yes. The joys of modern urban pathway nomenclature to new arrivals.
>Place the note back in our pack and head down towards the heart of the city.

>You put Neu's note back in your pack and set out on the road west, passing ship after ship lined up neatly along the island's edge. Along the way are numerous colorfully painted signs advertising various businesses from restaurants and hotels to art galleries and enchanters and silversmiths. You also spot directions to the port authority, pointing off into the distance to the northeast; you make a note of it for when you return. After a little while, you do actually spot a tavern of some sort, down a side street somewhat further down the hill.
>You cast an appraising eye on the crowds as you walk. There aren't exactly no oni here, despite their vastly smaller numbers, and you even spot a kappa or two - a rare sight in Braston. Beyond that, there's the usual abundance of humans and scattered youkai of other sorts; it's a pretty diverse mix, all things considered. Fewer of them show signs of obvious wealth than you might have expected, though your treasure sense definitely twitches from time to time. You suppose the richest people may favor their private ports over the public one - what's the point of having prevelige if you don't make use of it, hey?

>As you walk, your eye catches on a rather bedraggled-looking man beset by a pair of enthusiastically gesticulating fairies. The group of them are standing near a modest-sized passenger ship with a cheerfully ornamented stern.
>"We want to lodge a formal complaint!" one of them cries.
>Her companion, a green-haired fairy in a loose sun dress, nods vigorously.

« Reply #249 on: August 06, 2012, 05:31:36 AM »
>Smirk. Since when do fairys do things 'formally'?
>Keep an ear open.

« Reply #250 on: August 06, 2012, 05:50:49 AM »
>Smirk. Since when do fairys do things 'formally'?
>Keep an ear open.

>Not often. And not even now by the looks of it, though she is trying.

>The first fairy produces a brochure of some sort and points to it with an almost comically severe expression on her face. "It says here that you offer 'the best dinner cruise 50 guilders can buy'. Is that right?"
>He nods uncertainly. "Yes, that's wh-"
>"Wrong!" The forcefulness of her response shuts the man's mouth up with a snap. The fairy glares at him like someone sizing up their prey.
>"If I-" he clears his throat. "If I may ask, did you have a specific problem with-"
>"There were no lolipops!" the green-haired fairy says.
>"None at all!"
>"The Northern Star had lolipops..."
>The first fairy nods, then thrusts a finger accussingly at the brochure. "This is false advertising!"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #251 on: August 06, 2012, 05:56:31 AM »
>This threatens to be too amusing to overlook. Continue to observe.

« Reply #252 on: August 06, 2012, 06:34:40 AM »
>This threatens to be too amusing to overlook. Continue to observe.

>The poor man glances nervously between the two incensed fairies, looking a bit at a loss for words. "I- I'm sorry if you feel it's misleading, but lolipops-"
>"Are very important!" the green-haired fairy finishes. The other one nods her approval. The man opens his mouth, then closes it again.
>"So how are you going to make this up to us?" the first one asks sternly.
>The main frowns. "I'm not sure if-"
>"Give us lolipops!" The green-haired fairy thrusts her arm skyward as she says this.
>The other fairy shakes her head vigorously - so much so that you have a moment of concern for her neck. "No! No lolipops! Lolipops would have been fine yesterday, but not today. This is about truth and justice!"
>"Yeah!" Evidently her companion's conviction is easily swayed.

>You notice you're not the only one watching the scene unfold. The man seems to have noticed as well; it's not helping his discomfort any.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #253 on: August 06, 2012, 06:41:50 AM »
>Continue to observe.

We're totes gonna back these faeries. Consumer rights >=|

« Reply #254 on: August 06, 2012, 06:49:12 AM »
>Nice to see fairy shenanigans are the same in the hoity-toity part of the world as in our humble little home.
>But let's maintain a slow pace away, so we can continue observing for as long as humanly possible. In case these shenanigans are different than at home, we could use a tip or two.

Yes, P, I'm totally cool with backin up the lolly-loving fairies, if the lawyers get involved. I just didn't think we should be another face in a rubber neckin' crowd to see fairies bein' fairies. :P
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 06:56:45 AM by Sourfang, the Falling Star »

« Reply #255 on: August 06, 2012, 07:11:44 AM »
>Continue to observe.
>Nice to see fairy shenanigans are the same in the hoity-toity part of the world as in our humble little home.
>But let's maintain a slow pace away, so we can continue observing for as long as humanly possible. In case these shenanigans are different than at home, we could use a tip or two.

>It seems fairies are still fairies on the other side of the Expanse; it's sort of comforting, in a strange way.
>You continue to discreetly observe while moving away at a leisurely pace. You can't let them distract you too much....

>"Well, then, um..." The man glances nervously at the crowd. "What do you want?"
>"We want loli- ack!" The green-haired fairy's absentminded repition is cut short by a sharp thwack on the head from her companion.
>"We want an apology!" the other corrects.
>"Well, I'm certainly very sorry you-"
>"And a refund!"
>"I- If you can show me a receipt, I'll-"
>"And you have to add lolipops to your menu!"
>"Yeah!"
>The man stares blankly at two fairies for a few moments. The redhead glares at him triumphantly and folds her arms; it's a rather strange sight to see someone two heads taller than either of them nearly cowed by her.
>"I'm... not actually in charge of the menu," he begins slowly, "but I can-"
>"Then you have to change your slogan!" the first cries.
>"Yeah!" the green-haired fairy nods. "Because the Northern Star had lolipops, so that makes them the bestest dinner cruise!"
>"That's right!"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #256 on: August 06, 2012, 07:32:19 AM »
>"They're right, you know!"

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #257 on: August 06, 2012, 07:33:47 AM »
...Are we really agreeing with Fairies?
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

« Reply #258 on: August 06, 2012, 07:42:06 AM »
Maybe it's because I've been drinking, but, that hadn't occured to me before.
Hanzo raises a valid point. What I think we have here is fairies being fairies. We really should know better than to egg them on, or take their side when they're.... Well, being fairies.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #259 on: August 06, 2012, 07:57:03 AM »
My way of thinking: Having faeries on your side is always valuable. Besides, we can step in as a peacemaker in a moment, and work it out for both sides. Right now, it's just about gaining trust.

« Reply #260 on: August 06, 2012, 08:23:18 AM »
I think we should try to avoid getting involved in any kind of incident, be it fairy related or otherwise, only being off the boat for five minutes. Let's just kick back for now, and enjoy fairies being fairies.
That said, however, if someone in the crowd chimes in, then we can be part of the mob advocating lollies for all.

>Let's just sit back and enjoy the show, for now.
>Durn it. We're distracted now.
>Well, we'll chaulk it up as entertainment after the journey.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 08:26:46 AM by Sourfang, the Falling Star »

« Reply #261 on: August 06, 2012, 05:59:17 PM »
>"They're right, you know!"
>Let's just sit back and enjoy the show, for now.
>Durn it. We're distracted now.
>Well, we'll chaulk it up as entertainment after the journey.

>You consider egging the fairies on, but then decide to just keep quiet. So much for not getting distracted, though you suppose a few minutes isn't going to hurt you and a laugh might even do you good.

>"Was any-" the man hesistates a moment, as if he's just waiting to be bowled over again. "Was anything else not to your liking?"
>The two fairies stop and look at each other.
>"Well, the cushions were nice," says the green-haired one.
>Her friend nods sagely. "They had good bounce to them. That's important."
>"I liked the mariachi band..."
>"The trumpeter was pretty cute, too."
>"And the filet mignon was really tender."
>"Mmhmm." The redhead nods in affirmation, then throws her arms angrily into the air. "But who cares about that if there's no lolipops?" From her tone, you'd think a dinner cruise without lolipops was the same as a ferry service without ferries. Someone in the crowd snickers.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #262 on: August 06, 2012, 11:45:51 PM »
I think we could easily play diplomat at this point.

« Reply #263 on: August 07, 2012, 12:22:08 AM »
All right, sure. Give it a bash, man.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #264 on: August 07, 2012, 02:47:46 AM »
>Approach and ask, "How were the drinks?"

« Reply #265 on: August 07, 2012, 03:24:00 AM »
>Approach and ask, "How were the drinks?"

>You step out of the crowd and approach the group of them, inquiring lightly about the drinks.

>"They were alright, I suppose," says the first fairy.
>"I liked the purple stuff," her green-haired companion adds. "It was fizzy."
>The man gives you a once-over with a wary eye, as if trying to access what your game is.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #266 on: August 07, 2012, 03:55:56 AM »
>Warm smile!
>"How were the drinks on that other cruise? And the rest of the food, lollipops aside?"

« Reply #267 on: August 07, 2012, 04:18:22 AM »
>Warm smile!
>"How were the drinks on that other cruise? And the rest of the food, lollipops aside?"

>You flash a warm smile. If anything, this only makes the man more wary; he regards you like he's expecting you to pull some sort of con at any moment.
>"They had purple stuff, too!" the green-haired fairy says, then frowns. "It wasn't fizzy, though...."
>"The turkey was a little dry."
>"But the cheese sauce was great!"
>The redhead nods. "Yeah, the sauce was pretty good. And they had these great little crunchy pastry thingies."
>Her friend sticks out her tongue. "So salty..."
>"But they were good salty!" the first says insists.
>The green-haired fairy's eyes widen with sudden revelation. "Oh, and they had lollipops, too!"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #268 on: August 07, 2012, 05:52:32 AM »
>"So, if they didn't have lollipops, would it have still be better?"

« Reply #269 on: August 07, 2012, 06:02:17 AM »
>"So, if they didn't have lollipops, would it have still be better?"

>The redhead throws up her arms. "Who'd want to go on a dinner cruise without any lollipops?!"
>"Maybe if they had taffy?" her companion suggests thoughtfully.