Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 10)  (Read 45423 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 10)
« Reply #990 on: September 25, 2012, 08:16:13 AM »
>"Still and all, I'm glad for the written list. Just in case."
>"So, about how much do you think all that would cost in these parts?"

« Reply #991 on: September 25, 2012, 08:23:31 AM »
>"Still and all, I'm glad for the written list. Just in case."
>"So, about how much do you think all that would cost in these parts?"

>"Oh. Well..." She frowns and stares absently at the ceiling, muttering to herself as she counts something off on her fingers. "And that was at least 3... or was it 4? No, certainly 3... and if there are near to 20 in a... No, wait, that can't be right... Yes, and if that is of twice the... unless..."
>She gives you a sheepish expression. "I am not very good at these things. Apologies. Perhaps no more than... 35 guilders? Or perhaps even a little more after all - rarely these days do I shop for such things...."

« Reply #992 on: September 25, 2012, 08:35:10 AM »
>Nod. "That's actually good news. I admit, I was a bit concerned one or both these things would be beyond my budget. But that, I think I can manage, if I have to."
>"Which, I suppose, brings us to the water."

« Reply #993 on: September 25, 2012, 08:53:17 AM »
>Nod. "That's actually good news. I admit, I was a bit concerned one or both these things would be beyond my budget. But that, I think I can manage, if I have to."
>"Which, I suppose, brings us to the water."

>"Oh, that?" She smiles gently. "Any maker of potions will have a superior incarnation already in stock, yes. Would be hard to run such a business without such a thing, yes. The cost of it accounted for already in their standard fee, I would expect - if I had to expect any such thing at all, of course."

« Reply #994 on: September 25, 2012, 09:57:28 AM »
>"What do you mean, 'superior'?"

« Reply #995 on: September 25, 2012, 03:57:58 PM »
>"What do you mean, 'superior'?"

>"'Superior' in that it is equivalent in function, yet better, yes. Several times before you have asked questions of substitutions for which a suitable answer I could not provide, but in this, you need not worry. Modern alchemical water and this aqua veritatis are not so very different at all."

« Reply #996 on: September 26, 2012, 06:03:36 AM »
>"Are you sure? I don't want to sound difficult, and I trust your word, but, I just want to be certain."

« Reply #997 on: September 27, 2012, 01:36:26 AM »
>"Are you sure? I don't want to sound difficult, and I trust your word, but, I just want to be certain."

>"Oh, I am quite certain," she says. "As will suit your purposes, I think, you may consider them one and the same - as in essence and function they indeed are, most nearly. Beyond this is a matter of minutia, yes, either technical or historical or even both, perhaps - without prejudice or aspersion both I feel I must preface this, but I fear you... might not understand."

« Reply #998 on: September 27, 2012, 03:09:59 AM »
>"And it, too, is safe to transport? Doesn't wear out?"

« Reply #999 on: September 27, 2012, 07:40:20 PM »
>"And it, too, is safe to transport? Doesn't wear out?"

>"As safe as water of any other form, I should say." And so she does. "Perhaps a great deal more, even - most dangerous to one's health steam can be! Or perhaps even ice, yes. Yes, it is quite safe - to yourself and the water both. Assuming, of course, a proper vessel, in which case otherwise to the former alone - most unsuited to it a normal canteen would be, yes. Well, perhaps not most, though I should certainly not recommend it in either sense. No, certainly not unless without any other choice you are, and I am uncertain why that should itself be so."

« Reply #1000 on: September 27, 2012, 08:03:02 PM »
>Then we may have to look into a 'proper' vessel, but dude at the alchemist store can tell us about that.
>"Well, I think that covers all the issues I had with those two items."
>Crack a wry grin. "I bet I sounded a bit like one of your first year students, but, I pride myself on being thorough."

>Sell Aya to cover the costs.

« Reply #1001 on: September 27, 2012, 11:34:47 PM »
>Sell Aya to cover the costs.

>You produce Aya from your backpack and offer to sell her to Professor Bosqueverde to cover your expenses.
>"Oh, a tengu?" she says, raising a brow and shuffling in for a closer look.
>Aya surveys her surroundings with a slack-jawed and vacant expression, looking for all the world like a woman just plucked unceremoniously from halfway across the world. Funny that. "How did you- Where is-" She stares wide-eyed into your open pack. "How?!"
>The professor cranes her neck towards Aya's wings. "One of my colleagues, I do rightly believe, was seeking recently the feathers of a tengu for some project or another. Rare it is that we get the opportunity to come upon such things, even within a city such as this. Yes, yes, very much to their own isolation do they keep."
>"Helloooo?" The tengu's voice is strangely muffled; on inspection, she seems to have stuck her whole head inside your pack again. Oddly, you think you can hear her voice echoing. "Is anyone else down there?"
>"The issue of price is an uncertain one," the professor continues without the slightest acknowledgement of the situation. "Yes, a most uncommon question for a commodity itself most uncommon. While I cannot rightly claim to speak for another, I might yet say that the region of 20 guilders per feather could be perhaps considered reasonable, yes - or reasonable enough, at any rate. Excuse me, miss, but how many might you be willing to part with?"
>"Can you speak up a little?" you hear Aya shout into your pack. "I can't see any-"
>At that point, the pirate's voice is cut off with an abrupt shriek as she is yanked headfirst back into your inventory. You hear the dull thump of leather on leather as it closes up after her, followed by a faint gurgling noise.
>The professor regards the spot Aya occupied a moment before with a crestfallen look. "Ah. A pity, that."