Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 10)  (Read 46565 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 10)
« Reply #960 on: September 23, 2012, 11:24:41 PM »

« Reply #961 on: September 23, 2012, 11:41:58 PM »
>Smile slightly comfortingly.
>"It's fine. And it's Nazrin."

« Reply #962 on: September 24, 2012, 12:46:55 AM »
>Smile slightly comfortingly.
>"It's fine. And it's Nazrin."

>You give the woman a comforting smile and then give her your name again, deciding to let slide the fact that you did this once already. The professor's expression eases somewhat and she nods.
>"Nazrin, is it? Yes, a name out of the ordinary, that is - I shall make a point to remember it! Welcome again to my office, Seeker Nazrin. I am Professor Fiora Gracia Rios de la Bosqueverde." She bows slightly. "And, in that particular capacity, what... can I do for you?"

« Reply #963 on: September 24, 2012, 12:52:05 AM »
>Bit of a mouthful for a name there.
>"Well, you'll recall we were discussin Athran's Vigor and aqua veritatis before. Well, it only occured to me when I was talking to an alchemist in a shop that, I have no idea what materials make up those two liquids. So I was hoping you might."

« Reply #964 on: September 24, 2012, 01:07:26 AM »
>Bit of a mouthful for a name there.
>"Well, you'll recall we were discussin Athran's Vigor and aqua veritatis before. Well, it only occured to me when I was talking to an alchemist in a shop that, I have no idea what materials make up those two liquids. So I was hoping you might."

>It's certainly long, anyway.
>Her features perk up. "Oh, yes! Yes, I most certainly do know such a thing - variations and evolutions, even, regional and historical both. Not very much use in my daily affairs or ever annual ones, it's true, but from time to time the uses of such knowledge as it has them do present themselves. And I suppose this is just such an occasion as that, yes?" She seems quite pleased about this, somehow.

« Reply #965 on: September 24, 2012, 01:23:15 AM »
>What's the longest name we've ever heard?
>Smile and nod. "It certainly is."

« Reply #966 on: September 24, 2012, 01:56:04 AM »
>What's the longest name we've ever heard?
>Smile and nod. "It certainly is."

>You're fairly sure that honor belongs to the chief magistrate of Welmark, and you hope to never meet its match again in your life. Or at least have to sit and listen to it. Apparently it's local tradition for the magistrate to append the names and titles of the previous magistrate to their own upon assuming office. A magistrate who had, themselves, appended the names and titles of their own predecessor, and on and on and on. Supposedly it emphasizes the pedigree of the position and the unbroken line of stable governance since the city's founding. It is also clear evidence that their electoral terms are far, far too brief.
>She nods "Right! Well, for the purposes of expedience - you would no doubt rather it be done as such, I am sure - let us limit our scope to the most attested and typified of formula by which the vigor had been known to be made. And here, I should emphasize that-" She pauses abruptly, regards you quizzically for a moment, then cranes her neck towards you and squints again.
>"How much... knowledge of the art do you possess?" She asks. "I mean that not as a criticism nor rightly do I assume that you do not - simply that I do not know that you do not or even that you do, in fact - if it is in fact that you do, yes."

« Reply #967 on: September 24, 2012, 02:13:42 AM »
>"Honestly? Not an awful lot."

« Reply #968 on: September 24, 2012, 02:20:05 AM »
>"Honestly? Not an awful lot."

>She nods. "In that case, I will endevour for clarity, yes. Did you want simply a list of ingredients, or also details beyond this?"

« Reply #969 on: September 24, 2012, 02:23:10 AM »
>"I appreciate it."
>Consider for a moment.
>"What kind of details are we talking here? I mean, do the ingredients need to be handled or treated in certain ways?"

« Reply #970 on: September 24, 2012, 02:35:16 AM »
>"I appreciate it."
>Consider for a moment.
>"What kind of details are we talking here? I mean, do the ingredients need to be handled or treated in certain ways?"

>She nods twice more, an encouraging and even slightly matronly expression on her face.
>"Oh yes, certainly," she says "Preparation of any such substance can have many prescribed steps, and yet more less prescribed, if still recommended. Complex preparations can be quite complex in their preparation indeed. Athran's Vigor is not such a one, to be sure, but still would I not suggest it be brewed by one without knowledge and training in the art. Not if you were expecting the end-result to be as one intended, at any rate - and sometimes it can be quite bad if it is not! Yes, very bad indeed, sometimes. Very easy to get these things wrong, without proper care and training - much have I seen such over the years. In difficulty, overall and in comparison to other staples of our art - modern ones, yes, which this of course is not, but to which it can still be held in contrast  - I would rate it as moderate."

« Reply #971 on: September 24, 2012, 02:55:58 AM »
>"Well, I didn't plan on brewing it myself, if I don't have to. My plan was to learn the ingredients, and take those lists to an alchemy shop. Or acquire the ingredients myself, if I had to."

« Reply #972 on: September 24, 2012, 03:13:51 AM »
>"Well, I didn't plan on brewing it myself, if I don't have to. My plan was to learn the ingredients, and take those lists to an alchemy shop. Or acquire the ingredients myself, if I had to."

>"In that case of requesting it be brewed, a list of ingredients would be quite certainly insufficient - or at least one assumes such if the alchemist recognized the recipe little enough to require such a list to begin with! Yes, perhaps they forgot only one item from its whole while keeping the rest secure in their memories, but I do not think I would trust to that. No, better to be certain, I think."
>She pauses and considers for a moment. "I could pen an... adequate list of instructions, should this be what you indeed require, though by limitations of time, such a treatment as you'd find in a historic herbal text would be quite more comprehensive. Quite a bit so, yes. The library has several - of this I am quite sure. I have been told also that my handwriting is... at least to a certain degree and perhaps in particular to certain people... somewhat... abstruse." She frowns uncomfortably.

« Reply #973 on: September 24, 2012, 03:33:45 AM »
>"Why not both? You could write up a note, which would be appreciated, and you can fill me in on the important details in the doing."

« Reply #974 on: September 24, 2012, 04:26:58 AM »
>"Why not both? You could write up a note, which would be appreciated, and you can fill me in on the important details in the doing."

>She regards you with a pensive expression. "In advance I say that this is comment neither on your capability nor your perception, so please bear it in your mind in those terms... but in counter to your suggestion, it is only that I fear the details and significances of said may not be properly understood by one... lacking in certain other foundational knowledge. I hope you are not offended by this." The earnestness with which this hope is writ on her face is disarmingly genuine.

« Reply #975 on: September 24, 2012, 04:52:10 AM »
>Give her a smile. "I'm a Seeker, not an alchemist. I know it, it's just a fact, and I'm not so proud as to pretend otherwise. But I am a good listener. I'd like to know what I'm getting into. And, I'd like to know what to say to whoever I end up seeing to get these made."
>"Unless...."
>There's a thought.
>"Unless you yourself offer this service."

« Reply #976 on: September 24, 2012, 05:11:36 AM »
>Give her a smile. "I'm a Seeker, not an alchemist. I know it, it's just a fact, and I'm not so proud as to pretend otherwise. But I am a good listener. I'd like to know what I'm getting into. And, I'd like to know what to say to whoever I end up seeing to get these made."
>"Unless...."
>There's a thought.
>"Unless you yourself offer this service."

>"Oh, commercial work isn't really something I do these days," she says with a gentle smile. "Quite full hands I have with all of this and all the many new faces  - and some less so, I should say! -  passing through these halls each year. Busy and fulfilling both, it is - a happy circumstance that my circumstance is as happy as it is, yes. But the making of the vigor should be without any difficulty of note for any at all practiced in this art, yes. Finding one who knows of it, perhaps moreso. Perhaps moreso than it should, even," she sighs lightly, "but progress is not itself something to be held still for the sake of tradition. No, indeed not! The tradition itself is of necessity built upon such. But you may yet be able to find an alchemist in possession both of the requisite knowledge and skill, I am certain - beyond myself, I mean, of course."

« Reply #977 on: September 24, 2012, 05:38:40 AM »
>Clench teeth. One more delay, more time wasted...!
>"Would you KNOW of any? Besides yourself."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #978 on: September 24, 2012, 07:16:31 AM »
I think we can guilt her, if we have to.

« Reply #979 on: September 24, 2012, 08:45:39 AM »
>Clench teeth. One more delay, more time wasted...!
>"Would you KNOW of any? Besides yourself."

>You grit your teeth and try not to let the sentiment behind it bleed through.
>"I am... I am not certain that I do," she says. "Or rather I am certain that I do, but not certain of which one of whom I do that this would be. Knowing of their knowing of the recipe for a potion itself not used since several centuries is quite a specific fact for one to be knowing, yes - even in a profession itself composed of many obscure facts, yes." Her eyes narrow slightly and she frowns. "Is... something the matter?"

« Reply #980 on: September 24, 2012, 09:08:04 AM »
>Exhale though nose. Don't forget, Nazrin, you still have to find that damned flower before either of these liquids will be of any use to you. No matter who you get to make it. And getting mad at the professor here isn't going to make your task any easier.
>"Nothing, really. Just had an unpleasant memory cross my mind. This job's been.... A rougher ride than I'd have liked. And it isn't over yet. Whoever I find that can make this stuff, it won't do me any good if I can't find that flower."
>"But, first things first."
>"These mixtures, the vigor and the water. Do they... expire, over time? Lose their effectiveness? Say, I get them made, and then have to leave town to find the plant. Will I have to worry about the liquids becoming inert?"

« Reply #981 on: September 24, 2012, 06:27:58 PM »
>Exhale though nose. Don't forget, Nazrin, you still have to find that damned flower before either of these liquids will be of any use to you. No matter who you get to make it. And getting mad at the professor here isn't going to make your task any easier.
>"Nothing, really. Just had an unpleasant memory cross my mind. This job's been.... A rougher ride than I'd have liked. And it isn't over yet. Whoever I find that can make this stuff, it won't do me any good if I can't find that flower."
>"But, first things first."
>"These mixtures, the vigor and the water. Do they... expire, over time? Lose their effectiveness? Say, I get them made, and then have to leave town to find the plant. Will I have to worry about the liquids becoming inert?"

>You take a calming breath and try to collect yourself. The professor offers you a sympathetic, if slightly muddled smile as you make veiled reference to your situation.
>"If you, perhaps, were gone for several months, this might be true," she replies. "Yes, certainly over some length of time, this would happen. But not a brief one, no. For some mixtures, this would of course be otherwise, but not for these; at least one half a year should I expect the vigor to retain nearly all the potency with which it was brewed - assuming, of course, it was not stored and handled with wanton impropriety. Yes, yes, this goes without saying - not that I would assume anyone of skill to make it would err in such a fashion barring unlikely accident. Aqua veritatis is another matter, of course - and simpler, I should say! While the name itself is long dated and techniques no longer quite identical, it is in essence and function the very historic mirror of purified and activated water - the base for a great many things beyond this recipe of yours, yes. Oh, many indeed. Any alchemist at all should have this in as great or small a quantity as they ever should require.

« Reply #982 on: September 24, 2012, 08:34:49 PM »
>That's something.
>"And they're likewise safe to transport?"

« Reply #983 on: September 24, 2012, 09:23:49 PM »
>That's something.
>"And they're likewise safe to transport?"

>She nods. "Oh yes, quite stable they are. The risk, I think, would wholly be in dropping them."

« Reply #984 on: September 25, 2012, 02:13:06 AM »
>That's a relief, then. Means we can lug this stuff around if and when we have to leave town without having to worry about our ass exploding.
>"How long does it take to make them?"

« Reply #985 on: September 25, 2012, 05:04:14 AM »
>That's a relief, then. Means we can lug this stuff around if and when we have to leave town without having to worry about our ass exploding.
>"How long does it take to make them?"

>Yes, an exploding ass is the last thing you need right now.
>"An afternoon, I expect, should be all that it would take," she says.

« Reply #986 on: September 25, 2012, 05:28:32 AM »
>Wow. Two right to the point. You're getting better, prof.
>"More good news. Assuming the ingredients for them aren't too hard to come by."

« Reply #987 on: September 25, 2012, 06:55:17 AM »
>Wow. Two right to the point. You're getting better, prof.
>"More good news. Assuming the ingredients for them aren't too hard to come by."

>Perhaps she's taking this 'clarity' thing to heart, after all?
>The professor clears her throat and straightens upright. "The principle components of Athran's Vigor are - by the most attested and typical of recipes of that era, as I said earlier - fresh arlan, essence of hawthorn, the feather of a hawk or eagle - preferably a white-crested eagle, though I have read of others substituted - crushed sunthistle, honey, the blood of an ox or a bull - the more vigorous the better, yes, though I gather that any healthy one will do well enough - green vitriol, tannic acid, and a small quantity of silver dust. The last of these will be of some modest expense, perhaps, and one or two others of some modest rarity, but nothing that cannot for certain be found within this city. Some are even quite easy to find, yes."

« Reply #988 on: September 25, 2012, 07:22:22 AM »
>"That's quite a list."
>Are we familiar enough with those items to be able to guesstimate their combined cost?

« Reply #989 on: September 25, 2012, 07:46:35 AM »
>"That's quite a list."
>Are we familiar enough with those items to be able to guesstimate their combined cost?

>"It is of modest length," she says with a nod. "No great complexity involved, as I said - in another league of simplicity altogether from certain other potions I have worked with, from scattered time to time. The Tears of Engetsu... now that was an intriguing challenge - most intriguing indeed. Rare that such a thing comes past one's desk, it is. Fortunate as well, perhaps, or I might have time for little else. And fortunate for you as well, I think it is, that this is not as that."
>You are familiar with the market value of some of these components, though it's difficult to estimate without knowing what sort of quantity you're talking about. Arlan is relatively cheap and honey cheaper still. You suspect essence of hawthorn is also affordable given that hawthorn itself isn't exactly hard to come by. Or at least it wasn't back in Estval; you suspect it could be rarer in this part of the world. Silver has the potential to be fairly pricey depending on how small 'small' is, while the ox blood and eagle feather seem more likely to be difficult to find than actually expensive. You have no idea about the other three ingredients.