Author Topic: Doujin-Vu  (Read 44007 times)

Gappy

• Oh...oh I was not ready for this.
  • It's only Logical....
Doujin-Vu
« on: April 22, 2009, 02:42:28 PM »
Let's discuss Touhou doujinshi! This is perhaps one of my favourite aspects of Touhou aside from the music. I enjoy them so much that I've started two doujin projects of my own (both unfinished. I suppose I'll wrap them up over the summer).

Anyhow, here is where you can tell others about your favourite titles, doujin circles/artists, recommendations for others, doujins currently untranslated which you want to read, what you might want to see in a doujin, etc.

Let's kick off with Tohonifun and his chronicles of Yukari's past. I'm a fan of Yukari (thus my avie) and Tohonifun's version of Yukari's past gives so much depth to the persona that is Yukari. I particularly like the twist with her pursuit of Kyuubi throughout the centuries. I'm still not sure what the significance of the Lunar invasion was, or of Sakuya's appearance, but it was a still pretty nice glimpse into his version of the lunar capital (plus little Yuka was ridiculously amusing). Probably what I found most twisted was the truth behind Al-Hazred's death (of Necromnicon fame in Lovecraft). Somehow it was so fitting.

And off course most of us know of Yukari Vs Yuka, Wriggle Vs. SDM, and Sakuya Vs. Youmu.

And then there's Wi-Z Garage and his Cho-Marisa and her abs. Manly Spark has never been so manly. But Wi-Z garage upped the badass bar from Cho-Marisa up to whole new heights with his 30. I don't know. After reading that I felt I had to impale something, set it on fire, and dance a savage war dance while banging my shield around it....and I'm usually an ardent pacifist, mind you. Still, interesting how the 8 million deities ended up as cannon fodder in this one.

Demour402 is another personal favourite of mine. I particularly like his/her Alpha and Omega - a story about Marisa leaving Gensokyo for a life in the outside world. His/her 'New Moon' was really touching. Somehow, ReimuxMarisa is one of the few yuri/shoujo-ai pairings I could really tolerate, just because they're so sweet. Then there's Queen Milennia which was simply one amazing blast from start to finish. His/her 'Better Tomorrow' (I think that was the title) is my personal favourite, perhaps one of the funniest (long) touhou doujins I've read so far. Too bad it hasn't been properly edited, though there is a translation text file available.

Other favourite artists/circles include Clash House, Happy Flame Time, Asatsuki-Dou, Personal colour, Big Brother Generation, Rocket-Fuel, Can't Fix the Helmet, Fuantei (utterly random), Haniwa's Store (MIKOMIKOSUIKA!), FlipFlops, One-Night-Stand (ADVENT CIRNO!), Sougetsu-Tei, Saku-Saku-Tei, Water Cushion, Vissionerz, and a few others. I'll speak more about each later.

At the moment I'm waiting for Haniwa Store's MikoMikoSuika 4 (TENSHI!) and FlipFlops' 'Autumn of a Touhou Town' (I think that was it) to complete the entire 4 season set.

I might as well take this opportunity to thank the doujinshi scanlation team for their gallant efforts in bringing more touhou into our lives every day.

And while we're on the topic, I suppose now's a good a time as any to ask this question. Anyone remember a doujin featuring Mokou helping out at the shrine as a shrine maiden (with Marisa, Sakuya, Youmu, and Alice) in preparation for a festival? I'm sure I've read it but I can't remember the title and it's a pain to sort through my touhou doujin folder...

WRATHIE_Beatrice

• soujiko x yousuke is my otp
  • I will repeat it, in RED
Re: Doujin-Vu
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 03:00:40 PM »
A letter has arrived.

by One-Way-Ticket that published it..

i was reading it earlier this day, always on the deskop to my comp..

and my fave groups are:

One Night Stand
FlipFlops
Happy Flame Time
Ice Rain
Colophon
Hole of Yago
One Way Ticket

I like Aki-Eda's work too.

Defiant of Shrine Maiden Ver. 2

Mima

• Permabanned
  • By Benny1
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 03:08:26 PM »
I'm not entirely sure on my favourite doujin artist nowadays.

At one point it was Chado due to his Yuka vs Yukari which was pure awesome.

Wriggle vs SDM was lacking the awesome.

His Yukari vs Ran was horrible and I now hate his work as a result, terrible, terrible, terrible story.

As of late, I've been more aligned with the light-hearted ones, since all the action ones seem to be nowadays is power-level trolling, which I don't approve of.

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 03:56:51 PM »
Happy Flame Time is one of my favorite circles. They are made of cute and funny. I don't really have many favorites apart from that, though Water Cushion seems to have an interesting ... philosophical sense, and their "Time of the Full Moon" is epic.

Patoyo

• Currently waiting for Touhou 13
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 04:42:34 PM »
Happy Flame Time is my favorite too. Their stories are ridiculous and why Reimu and Marisaa always become the bad guys?

Gappy

• It's only Logical....
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 05:06:14 PM »
Happy Flame Time is my favorite too. Their stories are ridiculous and why Reimu and Marisaa always become the bad guys?

Because they're awesome like that.

And face it, when has Marisa had a properly 'good' motive for taking part in a mission to 'resolve a disaster'? If she's not plundering the last boss' mansion/home, she's stealing food or something else.

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 05:09:11 PM »
Well, there was "Alice made her do it" in IN. And "Alice/Nitori/Patchouli made her do it" in SA ... um, not that she let that stop her ...

Dan-Heron

• Evil Chibi-Dan -doesn't bite-
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 05:45:31 PM »
I was going to comment that she may have an altruistic reason for UFO... until I remember they all think it's a treasure ship >>;;;
so much evil it's poisonously healthy!

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Gpop

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 06:01:21 PM »
Oh god I have quite a few favourite doujin artists.

Off the top of my head:

FlipFlops
Hole of Yago
Happy Flame Time
Millet Soup
Wi-Z Garage

I have a much longer list. I'll get into detail when I get home though.

Dan-Heron

• Evil Chibi-Dan -doesn't bite-
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 09:39:32 PM »
there are too any to count, but I just read some of Pixel Phantom stuff, clean and H

Yep, I love Reisen/Youmu now
so much evil it's poisonously healthy!

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Gpop

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 10:14:05 PM »
I love most doujin circles.

Probably the most emotional was Aozora-Market's "Scarlet & Scarlet" doujin. Espcecially when
Spoiler:
Flandre found out that Marisa's dead.

All of Hole of Yago's works are amusing in it's own chibi way.

FLIPFLOPs doujin are usually good. The PCB and EoSD re-interpretations were great, and the seasonal doujin are always quite hilarious. Also awaiting the Autumn doujin as well.

Millet Soup is probably the first doujin circle I read doujin from. It was called "Well-Ventilated Workplace". Funny doujin. As well as the Flandre one. Currently the third doujin concerning Cirno is being scanlated. I'm awaiting the final release.

Hole of Yago...ah yes, this group. I love their Yakumo/Moriya doujin. I guess now it's moving on to the Komeiji family and their hilarious antics. That means more Koishi~

ReverseNoise is probably the best artist out there for me. Both of the H-doujin and SFW doujin are good. They're usually quite hilarious.

Takaku-ya's h-doujin are usually quite hilarious, while still keeping the material very fappable. Touhou Enchantress Dance 9 was awesome (
Spoiler:
lol Iku's shock-orgasm with Tenshi
).

I could go on with the huge list of doujin circles I'm definitely into. There's just way too many to do so.

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 10:40:41 PM »
I always enjoy the good old Inaba of the Earth Inaba of the Moon. Light hearted humor that's very befitting to the touhou universe.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 11:01:55 PM »
I like my doujins in two flavors: humorous and GRIMDARK. Intermediate stuff like romance and slice-of-life usually doesn't do it for me.

Favorite humor series is Dioxin's Cirno comics. It has my favorite interpretation of Cirno, clever in a really stupid kind of way.

As for my favorite GRIMDARK ones, one that jumps out in my mind was Lily of the Valley, that Medicine origin story. That was pretty rad. I also like Red Sky of Japonesia a lot.

Also, a special shout out to Felis Ovum because of the awesome trippy art. I think that Marisa + Flan one is the only full doujin so far but it was very cool to look at.

Rabbit

• Red Tenshi
  • 3x More Touhou
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 11:04:27 PM »
I have no favorites among circles.  I've only read two doujins in particular that stand out in my mind at the moment, though...Aozora-Market's Scarlet & Scarlet and Visionnerz' The Maid and the Bloody Watch of Fate.
Too much of a good thing, and it is no longer good.

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2009, 11:05:55 PM »
I didn't like Wi-Z at first but they've grown on me. Probably thanks to 30.

Sana

• Good gravy!
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2009, 11:38:28 PM »
I'm surprised Ennui Akadako hasn't been mentioned yet. I really liked Gods are Customers and Charming Border of Life.

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2009, 12:10:00 AM »
Fusuma Teahouse's Bewitching Kaiseki is my fave so far. The script (or the translated script at least) is extremely simple and touching, and it's nice seeing the stage 1 and 2 bosses going about life without getting owned in the face for once.

The finale of Alice Tear Letter is another favorite for being EPIC and heartwarming at the same time. Again, props to the translators.

As far as circles go, FLIPFLOPS, Haniwa Store and Happy Flame Time are the ones I read the most. Ennui Akadako's work is good for a few laughs but aside from the gags she doesn't have much going for her.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Can't Fix The Helmet, though.

notanineidiot

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2009, 12:42:10 AM »
I can't believe I misread "happy flame time" as "happy flan time."

Anyways, what is the general recommendations for which doujin circle's works to read? (besides happy flame time and One Night Stand)

WRATHIE_Beatrice

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2009, 12:44:00 AM »
FlipFlops

Kerigis

• *Gnaws Donut*
  • Bow down before the true administrator!
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2009, 02:25:51 AM »
I love most Doujin circles as well. I think everyone already said the ones that I like. Hole of Yago, Ennui Akadako, Happy Flame Time, Aozora-Market, Rocket Fuel 21, etc, etc.

Asatsuki Dou is for me one of the best circles as well. Their bittersweet and sad stories are just... priceless.

Powerup punchin'!

cleartailcat

• Idiot Shouta
  • Missing
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2009, 02:34:56 AM »
Anyways, what is the general recommendations for which doujin circle's works to read? (besides happy flame time and One Night Stand)
anything posted in this thread so far.

my current (worksafe) fav circles are:
Aki Eda (counts right?)
Angeltype - For moe Yuka x Wriggle
Asatsuki Dou - for the dark and heavy things they do. Bonus if it has a Happy End.
Chronolog - A Deep, Deep Puddle
FLIPFLOPS
Happy Flame Time
Hinawis Store
Hole of Yago
Ice Rain
One Night Stand
Pixel Phantom
Water Cushion

I have yet to get through my Doujin folder.

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2009, 04:11:04 AM »
I'm surprised Ennui Akadako hasn't been mentioned yet. I really liked Gods are Customers and Charming Border of Life.

Oh yes! My favorites are Dichromatic Butterfly and Komainu Set (the latter, of course, partly because templates like that are forbidden)

KumaKinko

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2009, 09:25:23 PM »
The people/person behind the crazy Cirno, Hina, and Nitori Doujins, y'know the ones where Hina is a crazy bitch with an addiction to misfortune juice
His/Her/Their art rocks my face off

Gappy

• It's only Logical....
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2009, 09:34:19 PM »
I can't believe I misread "happy flame time" as "happy flan time."

If you liked HFT and ONS, then you'll like Haniwa's Store (the Miko-Miko Suika series), FlipFlops (his seasonal series), Water Cushion, and Can't Fix the Helmet. Can't think of anything else off the top of my head at the moment.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2009, 11:32:37 PM »
The people/person behind the crazy Cirno, Hina, and Nitori Doujins, y'know the ones where Hina is a crazy bitch with an addiction to misfortune juice
His/Her/Their art rocks my face off

Madame Hina's Misfortune Parlor or something? Yeah those are pretty entertaining, and also a rather hard deviation from everyone else's usual moe-moe Hina.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2009, 11:37:34 PM »
Ennui Akadako and Happy Flame Time are my favorites.

Happy Flame Time primarly due to Sukima Switch.

Gpop

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2009, 12:09:45 AM »
Happy Flame Time:

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2009, 04:07:11 AM »
Yeah, they're the source of that meme, too.

Ruka

• Lab Syndrome
  • "Even a failure produces valid results."
    • Ruka Sari Sari
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2009, 04:23:44 AM »
Well, here are some basic breakdowns:

• Hole of Yago for starters
  • Rocket Fuel 21 (Aki Eda) for the grin worthy yuri enough to melt you from moe
  • Ennui Akadako just because it's Tako
  • happy flame time for good clean family fun
  • Tohonifun (Chado) for action
  • Wi-Z GARAGE for CHO
  • Asatsuki Dou if you need some hard stuff
  • Clash House for mostly philosophical reasons and fanservice
  • Water Cushion for entirely deep stuff
  • Hero Bear is the same way except with a dash of cute
  • Winter Scenery for junkie Hina
  • One Night Stand for the one and only Advent Cirno
  • Tail concerto for mostly cute Mari/Ali stuff
  • Can't Fix the M3 Tactical Helmet, Sir! for stuff that might get you thinking
  • DEMOUR for mostly more deep stuff
  • Saku Saku Tei for slice of life mostly
  • Haniwa's Store for Miko Miko Suika
  • FLIPFLOPs for a good mix of stuff

Note that this is not a comprehensive list and does not include circles with only one listing in the wiki since that's not a good measure of what that circle is good at. Do check out all the other circles not mentioned here though. I can't remember them all.

Also, use the wiki to look them up. Gallery is a second if you want to preview before downloading, but not everything is there due to bugs.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 04:25:39 AM by Rukaroa »

WRATHIE_Beatrice

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2009, 04:51:17 AM »
oh yea's there's Saku saku tei... and Haniwa store, forgot..

DEMOUR is okay too

but i forgot the artist who did the Sanae X Alice one