Author Topic: Skullgirls  (Read 22096 times)

Skullgirls
« on: April 06, 2012, 05:29:52 AM »
Not sure if this was posted before, but I'm definitely getting this fighting game on April 10th on PSN and April 11th on Xbox Live. I love how the game looks and I highly recommend checking out some of the 60fps Gametrailers videos on it.

Every frame is hand drawn and the game is designed by one of the best Blazblue players (Mike Z). The game is also doing many things differently than most fighting games.

Damn I'm bad at hype. If anyone else is planning on getting this game let's get some room set up online sometime. My PSN is z121231211.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 05:35:11 PM by _Zac_ »

Re: Skullgirls - Actually Has a Confirmed Release Date
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 05:39:35 AM »
MBAACC, BBCSEX, Skullgirls, Persona 4 Arena, UNIL, Aquapizza...

so many new 2D fightan games *-*

long combos look rather difficult since I've only seen Mike Z pull of anything extensive looking and everyone else just seems to drop combos all the time
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 05:41:15 AM by Suikama »

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 01:45:24 AM »
In built infinite protection, no simultaneous high-low unblockables with assists, assists can literally be any non-super move you want, versus can swap to practice mode and back at any time you want, god like art, everyone has unique everything, ninja nurses, absurdly bad yet good puns, anthropormized personification of cartoon violence BUT AS A PSYCHOPATHIC LOLI, yukkuris...jesus fuck this GAME.

BUCKETS. I CAME THEM.

get this fucking game
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

Graph

• Let's go, Trombe!
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 03:25:48 AM »
Whoa, I remember seeing some of these character designs on Alex Ahad's site a few years ago.  And what a unique look it makes for a fighting game.  It's amazing to finally see it in action!

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 05:34:21 PM »
Shit's awesome, I'm all over it.

Nem

• Grrrr!
  • Gimmie money!

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 09:50:13 PM »
The game is also doing many things differently than most fighting games.
Such as?

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 09:52:39 PM »
Such as?
In built infinite protection, no simultaneous high-low unblockables with assists, assists can literally be any non-super move you want, versus can swap to practice mode and back at any time you want, god like art, everyone has unique everything, ninja nurses, absurdly bad yet good puns, anthropormized personification of cartoon violence BUT AS A PSYCHOPATHIC LOLI, yukkuris...jesus fuck this GAME.

BUCKETS. I CAME THEM.

get this fucking game
Also not being owned by CAPCOM is a big plus

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 11:45:41 PM »
I am very excited for this game! I really like the art style.
Peacock is the coolest character ever.

Nem

• Grrrr!
  • Gimmie money!
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 02:50:53 AM »
The game's tutorial is pretty decent. It's not like Capcom's trials where the game gives you an impractical combo for you to copy.

The tutorial for Skullgirls teaches you more than a combo. It teaches you how to play not just Skullgirls, but fighting games in general. The Skullgirls tutorial teaches people basic fighting game fundamentals like blocking against mixups, punishing, and hit confirming.

I'm thinking of running Parasolo and when she comes out, a Parasoul/Umbrella team.

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 02:53:05 AM »
The BlazBlue tutorial 'teaches' you basics as well but really poorly :V

Omba

• ねえ...
  • 君の首...おいしそう
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 09:34:15 AM »
> Not from Japan
> No japanese voices
> No half-naked lolis(?)
donotwant.jpg

In all seriousness, this looks pretty interesting and I'll probably give it a try.

Widermelonz

• Delicious
  • Yum
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 09:50:51 AM »
I think I'm the only one that thinks the BlazBlue tutorial was pretty damn good. It effectively taught a couple of my friends about mixups, meter usage, spacing, okizeme, etc.

Anyways, none characters in Skullgirls so far appeal to me. But this game still looks really solid, so I'll try it out for a bit before making a final decision.

Grand Octopus

• is approaching fast
  • onegai Zeppy-san
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 07:38:57 PM »
Been eyeing this up for a while, but after MvC3 I'm thinking that me and fighting games aren't a good match. Lack of in-game move lists is also a minor turn off.

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2012, 10:00:14 PM »
I'm totally Peacock because GARBAGE DAY

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 12:36:16 AM »
You can do mixups with hard tags. hard tags.
also most characters seem to just have qcb, qcf, and dp as moves.

Also dat Double lvl5.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 02:07:18 AM by tAM linRA »
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2012, 02:03:51 PM »
Been eyeing this up for a while, but after MvC3 I'm thinking that me and fighting games aren't a good match. Lack of in-game move lists is also a minor turn off.
I would recommend playing more than MvC3 before making such an assumption. MvC3 seems to be all "zomg super fast and flashy graphix" and is a lot more button mashy at low-level play than other fighters like Blazblue and Street Fighter. And most 2D fighters only have supers and specials in their in-game movelists because those are really the only unique button combinations characters have, unless they want to list "Fierce Punch" which is the "Fierce/Heavy Punch" button for every character.

Game comes out Tomorrow on PSN, get hype!

Grand Octopus

• is approaching fast
  • onegai Zeppy-san
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2012, 06:06:58 PM »
I would recommend playing more than MvC3 before making such an assumption. MvC3 seems to be all "zomg super fast and flashy graphix" and is a lot more button mashy at low-level play than other fighters like Blazblue and Street Fighter. And most 2D fighters only have supers and specials in their in-game movelists because those are really the only unique button combinations characters have, unless they want to list "Fierce Punch" which is the "Fierce/Heavy Punch" button for every character.
I didn't really make it clear - MvC3 was the shoryuken that broke the camel's back rather than being the only fighting game I've played. I've been dipping in and out of them for ages with limited success and by now I'm semi-confident it's the genre itself that I don't get on with.

An Odd Sea Slug

• Not here, but not really there.
  • Only the best.
    • You can save the world by clicking this link!
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2012, 06:12:52 PM »
Honestly, MvC3 is a shitty game; I wouldn't use it for such a decision if I were you. All of Capcom's recent efforts in general have been questionable at best.

Gah, want to try this game so bad, but I still have yet to get an appropriate console...

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2012, 06:36:03 PM »
It's funny, recently MvC3 isn't getting as much hate as before now, for two reasons:

1) A lot of people are actually finding the game to be hype as fuck now, and it's really fun to watch due to its fast-paced action and combos in the game are actually being expanded every day, so you usually see really nice plays every time.

2) With SFxT out, all the Crapcom haters have moved onto that game :V

Now, the game definitely isn't the best, due to it's REALLY beginner friendly gameplay (I think a little TOO beginner friendly), it's terrible x-factor comeback mechanic/system, and horrible balancing issues (ie. Wesker), though honestly, it's a bit more balanced that lolvanilla and loldarkphoenix.

But Skullgirls IMO looks like got that game beat. I'll probably pick this up, after seeing what others feel about the game (what I did with Marvel and other fighters, except Melty, never really thought about getting it but Suikama gave it to me anyways so :V). I love the customization for assists.

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2012, 12:14:43 AM »
Lack of in-game move lists is also a minor turn off.
Whoops just realized what you meant by that. Don't let that detract you as they say that's going to be one of the first things they patch in.

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2012, 01:25:20 AM »
Dat Cirno Peacock color :V

Nem

• Grrrr!
  • Gimmie money!
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2012, 04:10:00 AM »
Holy crap, two of the random items in Peacock's item drops are Ms. Fortune yukkuri heads and a WRYYYYY steamroller.

Ahad, you magnificent bastard, take my money.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2012, 04:12:15 AM »
Early Skullgirls footage ahahaha

How long has Skullgirls been in development? I'm not surprised to see a ghetto alpha build, I remember seeing Peacock's character design along with a request for spriters like a million years ago on deviantArt, and was surprised to see Skullgirls again so many years later.

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2012, 04:49:08 AM »
How long has Skullgirls been in development? I'm not surprised to see a ghetto alpha build, I remember seeing Peacock's character design along with a request for spriters like a million years ago on deviantArt, and was surprised to see Skullgirls again so many years later.
I think it was mostly a pipe dream of Alex's until Mike Z + others hopped aboard. I'm not sure when it happened but probably at around two years ago.

Nem

• Grrrr!
  • Gimmie money!
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2012, 11:24:25 PM »
Did any Skullmaidens on the PS3 download it yet?

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2012, 11:59:48 PM »
Did any Skullmaidens on the PS3 download it yet?

Downloading it presently.

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2012, 12:29:21 AM »
You can get the movelists here

Nem

• Grrrr!
  • Gimmie money!
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2012, 12:44:52 AM »
Tomorrow, I'm finally getting my replacement TV for the one my brother took when he moved out.

:o AAAWW SHIET 
:getdown: LAUNCH PARTY ERRY DAY :getdown: