Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 7)  (Read 44113 times)

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 7)
« Reply #960 on: February 08, 2012, 11:23:46 PM »
> Good enough.
> Lock up behind us, and get back to the ship.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

« Reply #961 on: February 08, 2012, 11:36:00 PM »
> Good enough.
> Lock up behind us, and get back to the ship.

>You decide that this is good enough, so you lock your place up behind you, and dash back to the Blue Maiden.
>Movement on the deck has died down by the time you return, though Murasa and a couple others are still present. The former looks over in your direction as you board and nods to you.
>"All set?" she asks.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #962 on: February 08, 2012, 11:39:37 PM »
> Nod back.
> "Ready when you are."

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

« Reply #963 on: February 09, 2012, 12:05:43 AM »
> Nod back.
> "Ready when you are."

>"Good." She cranes her head back towards the wheelhouse and calls out. "Neu! Do we have everyone, now?"
>"All crew present and accounted for, captain!" the moth calls back.
>"Then let's put this place behind us as fast as possible!"
>"Aye, aye, captain!"
>Murasa turns back to you. "I'll fill you in after we're underway. You can stay up here if you want, or go get settled in. Your room's third on the left, downstairs."

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #964 on: February 09, 2012, 12:07:26 AM »
> "I think I'll settle in there, just to get out of everyone else's way. Should I go find you or will you find me?"

« Reply #965 on: February 09, 2012, 12:12:47 AM »
> "I think I'll settle in there, just to get out of everyone else's way. Should I go find you or will you find me?"

>"Eh, just pop back up when you feel like it," she says. "Once we're out of Braston, it should be smooth sailing for while. Don't need to worry too hard about distracting people, either; we know what we're doing."

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #966 on: February 09, 2012, 12:16:55 AM »
> Do we remember how to get downstairs?
> "Okay. I'll go search you out once I'm ready, then."

« Reply #967 on: February 09, 2012, 12:20:29 AM »
> Do we remember how to get downstairs?
> "Okay. I'll go search you out once I'm ready, then."

>Yes. The stairs are just on the other end of the deck from the wheelhouse.
>She nods. "You know where to find me."

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #968 on: February 09, 2012, 12:25:38 AM »
> "Yep. And thanks again."
> Head downstairs and find this so-called 'third door on the left'.

« Reply #969 on: February 09, 2012, 12:57:49 AM »
> "Yep. And thanks again."
> Head downstairs and find this so-called 'third door on the left'.

>She shrugs. "Yeah, well... don't mention it."
>You head downstairs while Murasa crosses over to the wheelhouse and starts barking orders with enthusiastic bruskness. More quietly, you hear Neu relaying and coordinating. As you descend the steps, you hear several dull metallic clanking sounds - possibly the gangway being retracted - followed soon after by the deep hum of the engines warming up. This really is it, isn't it?
>What you assume to be the 'third door on the left' is not difficult to find. It's in the first stretch of the lower deck hallway, before it branches around the cargo shaft, and actually opposite Chisato's quarters.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #970 on: February 09, 2012, 01:03:07 AM »
> Enter and check out our new digs.

« Reply #971 on: February 09, 2012, 01:17:22 AM »
> Enter and check out our new digs.

>You open the door and take a look at your new room. In design, it is an exact mirror of Chisato's, though even more spartan in furnishings. There is a narrow bed built into the wall to the right of the entrance - little more than a shelf, really - and a wooden end table attached to the adjacent wall, beneath a small window that offers a decent view of the harbor at the moment. The bed is without any bedding and there is virtually nothing else in the room, though at least it looks clean.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #972 on: February 09, 2012, 01:22:45 AM »
> Pull out our clothes and lay the on the shelf-bed for the time being. Guess they're draping over the table later, but it beats wrinkling and taking up space in the pack.

« Reply #973 on: February 09, 2012, 01:25:07 AM »
>Once we get settled in, put down our pack and go back up on deck. Stay out of the way of the crew, of course, but, this... Lord above. We're really leaving.
>Before leaving cabin, pinch tail. And find the key, if any, to room lock.

« Reply #974 on: February 09, 2012, 03:05:08 AM »
> Pull out our clothes and lay the on the shelf-bed for the time being. Guess they're draping over the table later, but it beats wrinkling and taking up space in the pack.

>You take your sparing clothing out of your pack and lay them out on the bed, straightening some of the more squashed bits.

>Once we get settled in, put down our pack and go back up on deck. Stay out of the way of the crew, of course, but, this... Lord above. We're really leaving.
>Before leaving cabin, pinch tail. And find the key, if any, to room lock.

>Then you doff your pack and set it beside the bed. You take a deep breath. You're really on your way, aren't you? Val Razua has long been an aspiration of yours, even before all this. And now...? You swing your tail around and give it a pinch, if only to convince yourself that you haven't nodded off somewhere on the other end of town and this is all a wishful daydream. The wince this action produces feels rather genuine, though. Besides, if you were really going to dream a better reality for yourself, you can think of a few other things you'd change first... Shaking your head, you decide to head back up to the deck so that you can watch Braston fade into the distance in person.
>The door does have a lock, but you don't see a key handy. A brief inspection of the drawers in the end table finds them empty as well. There really isn't anywhere else here to hide a key, so you suppose you may have to ask someone about that. You leave without locking up.
>The whir of the engines intensifies as you move back down the hallway and you feel a small vibration go through the floor beneath you. As you crest the deck again, you can see the main rotors spinning furiously above the sides of the ship, at the rear, their form a blur of whirling metal. They're actually quite loud in comparison to the small regional ferries you've taken before, though you suppose you'll get used to the noise. Besides, the more power they can put out, the faster you'll get where you're going, you figure. A couple crewmen are posted along the sides of the deck and seem to be keeping an eye on the surrounding dock structure, while Murasa stands near the wheelhouse, directing things.

« Reply #975 on: February 09, 2012, 03:35:18 AM »
>Find a place along the deck that seems relatively out of the way to stand.

« Reply #976 on: February 09, 2012, 04:06:53 AM »
>Find a place along the deck that seems relatively out of the way to stand.

>The deck is still quite spacious compared to the number of people on it, so it's not difficult to find a clear spot to perch. You wander over to an unoccupied section of the railing and look out at the Expanse in the distance.
>"Send up the departure signal!" you hear Murasa call out. "And prepare to leave dock!" A chorus of 'aye's answer her.

« Reply #977 on: February 09, 2012, 04:20:24 AM »
>Close eyes for a moment and smile.
>Draw a deep breath, and open eyes.
>Look back at Braston below us as we depart. We'll be BACK.

« Reply #978 on: February 09, 2012, 04:45:15 AM »
>Close eyes for a moment and smile.
>Draw a deep breath, and open eyes.
>Look back at Braston below us as we depart. We'll be BACK.

>You close your eyes for a moment and smile. This is it...
>You draw a deep breath of the damp dusk air and open your eyes. As you do, you hear a metallic groaning sound from the ship's aft, followed by a dull thud. The vessel lurches forward, but you catch your balance before stumbling. With a little well-concealed chagrin you notice that no one else on deck even wavered that much.
>You look back at Braston as the Blue Maiden begins to depart. The other vessels and people dotting the harborfront slowly drift further and further away. You swear to yourself that this will not be the last time you lay eyes on the city. Fame and fortune may always have lain elsewhere, but this is different. You are going to find a way to beat this Blight and you're going to return triumphant. You will accept nothing else.

>"10 degrees to starboard!" Murasa calls out.
>"10 degree to starboard, aye!" Neu echoes.
>You hear a few shifting sounds and the vessel's course angles slightly to the left. You slowly pick up speed as you glide out of the harbor.

« Reply #979 on: February 09, 2012, 04:58:05 AM »
>Spare a moment to think about Orange. We never met her after we got back to town. She doesn't know.... Always figured we'd beat you out of town, Orange, but like this? Sorry, old friend. We should have told you. But we'll be back, don't you worry.
>Another moment for Ichirin. That dear woman.... The danger we asked you to take on...
>Life our heads towards Ichirin.... Easthaven. We may not be the praying kind, but... "Heavens keep you all safe." Then grin. "And when your problems and mine are done, then we all party."

« Reply #980 on: February 09, 2012, 05:21:07 AM »
>Spare a moment to think about Orange. We never met her after we got back to town. She doesn't know.... Always figured we'd beat you out of town, Orange, but like this? Sorry, old friend. We should have told you. But we'll be back, don't you worry.
>Another moment for Ichirin. That dear woman.... The danger we asked you to take on...
>Life our heads towards Ichirin.... Easthaven. We may not be the praying kind, but... "Heavens keep you all safe." Then grin. "And when your problems and mine are done, then we all party."

>As Braston shrinks away behind you, you find yourself lost within your own thoughts. You think of Orange and Ichirin, of past hopes and things left unsaid, of dangers left behind and those still ahead. The warm lights of the city paint a striking image against a sky of dusky blue. You spare a moment to wish well for those you are apart from, and swear to return to them in better days. And there will be better days. Before you even realize it, the cityscape has lost all definition, leaving nothing but a yellow glow on the horizon.

« Reply #981 on: February 09, 2012, 05:30:52 AM »
>"Three days to go..."
>Is Murasa still ordering her peons around?

« Reply #982 on: February 09, 2012, 05:34:52 AM »
>"Three days to go..."
>Is Murasa still ordering her peons around?

>Well, at least idling around here feels a lot more productive than idling around Braston.
>After you were decently clear of the harbor, things seemed to quiet down a bit. At the moment, she seems to just be chatting with a crewman.

« Reply #983 on: February 09, 2012, 05:43:50 AM »
>Time for some answers, then.
>Approach Murasa.

« Reply #984 on: February 09, 2012, 05:49:29 AM »
>Time for some answers, then.
>Approach Murasa.

>You walk over to Murasa, who breaks off her conversation with the sailor when she notices you approach, sending her off to her duties with a nod. She takes a step towards you.
>"So, I suppose you wanna know what happened, right?"

« Reply #985 on: February 09, 2012, 05:52:19 AM »
>"Thought crossed my mind."
>Smirk and chuckle shortly. "Not that I'm about to complain, either way."

« Reply #986 on: February 09, 2012, 06:08:56 AM »
>"Thought crossed my mind."
>Smirk and chuckle shortly. "Not that I'm about to complain, either way."

>"That makes two of us," she says with a snicker. "But it turns out Louise decided to pull some overtime on our part. Those missing ledgers really stuck in her craw, I guess; I'm glad you thought to have her look for them."
>"Anyhow, it turns out it was actually a good thing we bought that as far back as we did. See, they'd been using some sorta older filing system for their accounts back then, and a little while after Louise took over, a lot of those old records were transcribed over to the new system and the originals tossed away in some dusty attic somewhere. After you and Neu left, she decided to go rooting around there, and, whaddaya know, she found the old ledgers. With an entry for us, right where it was supposed to be." She grins. "Oh man, but Louise looked pissed when I saw her after. Like, not just her regular 'I'm sorry, but I don't give two shits about your problem', but honest to god fuming underneath that smile." Her sarcastic rendition of Louise's mannerisms is spot-on. "I tried not to smile too much."
>"Anyhow, she had our permit reissued immediately. Said she's gonna launch a full internal investigation and everything."

« Reply #987 on: February 09, 2012, 06:24:25 AM »
>"Let's hear it for redundant archives."
>"But to be honest, captain, something about this sticks in my craw a little, too. I mean, obviously, I'm pleased as punch at the outcome, but whoever took her books, and your paper, is still out there. This is the second time now I've had to leave a place without seeing if something I was involved in was resolved. For all parties concerned, I mean."

« Reply #988 on: February 09, 2012, 06:28:38 AM »
>"Let's hear it for redundant archives."
>"But to be honest, captain, something about this sticks in my craw a little, too. I mean, obviously, I'm pleased as punch at the outcome, but whoever took her books, and your paper, is still out there. This is the second time now I've had to leave a place without seeing if something I was involved in was resolved. For all parties concerned, I mean."

>"Yeah, I hear ya," she says, then shrugs. "Maybe Louise'll dig something up, maybe she won't. I'll be glad if she does, but right now I'm a hell of a lot more glad just to be out of there. I imagine that goes for you too, considering your, well..." She frowns a little.

« Reply #989 on: February 09, 2012, 06:42:52 AM »
>"Oh, believe me, cap'n, I can stand a little unfinished business right now."