Author Topic: Anime Club at School!  (Read 5601 times)

gammaraptor

• i won't depend on anyone anymore
Anime Club at School!
« on: September 19, 2011, 03:01:31 PM »
Started an anime club at school, what should we do in it? (Other than watch Anime lol)

Update:
Apparently, we haven't gotten approval, and now we have to figure out the amendments to make.
This is the Student Union e-mailing you in regards to your club application.  Unfortunately the Anime Club has not been approved for club status; however, the club appeal date has been set for Monday, September 26 at extended lunch in room 110 in the course that you would like to make some amendments or make an argument in favour of approving your club.

Although the Anime Club is the first of its kind at Old Scona, the Student Union feels that the act of watching anime could be done individually, and that discussion about said anime can take place at school without official club status.  The idea of creating a doujinshi together is very creative; nonetheless, the Student Union feels that it is unnecessary to be an SU-approved club to do this.  We feel that an anime group can exist without being granted club status.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 01:01:32 AM by gammaraptor »

Grimarg

• B-but you haven't promoted me yet!
  • Thanks Aoshi for the avvy! :3
Re: Anime Club at School!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 03:18:18 PM »
OTAKU WRESTLE!

uhm, never been in one, maybe discussing, trowing plot ideas, spoiling the ends?

Talka

• Forever Newbie
  • all your food are belong to us
    • ddiction
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 03:26:06 PM »
Check out schedules of local Japan/Asia/Anime conventions and schedule a car share
Hold Halloween costume contests (we gave out  Borders Gift Cards)
Hold random Super Smash Bros contests

It's kind of sad if people are only gathering to watch anime, so make it something sociable, and I think ideas for things to do will naturally come from the members. The anime club people from when I was in high school just went to movies or played video games and things together in the weekend.

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 03:37:20 PM »
Yes, clubs usual big points are making it SOCIABLE so others with the same interest (in this one would be anime) can make new friends and etc.

My clubs usually have lots of games too, since the two are usually relative. Fighters and such are usually the main interest.

Card games or Pokemon will probably be big too, so get that in mind, or even mahjong if enough people actually know how to play it lol.

Anything that'll get others into it too. Don't be scared to introduce touhou even, it'll most likely be big and even MUCH more known than you think :P

gammaraptor

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 04:01:57 PM »
The main issue atm is that the meetings are only 20 minutes in length, so I'll try to add some afterschool stuff =D. Yeah, I was also planning to try making a dojinshi, and raising some money for something.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 07:04:31 PM »
Sorry, but I have to include this. I'm sure most of you know what it is already without even clicking on it.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 12:39:40 AM »
slangin dat wet n' pocky

<3 tengukami

Talka

• Forever Newbie
  • all your food are belong to us
    • ddiction
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 12:42:42 AM »
I was also planning to try making a dojinshi, and raising some money for something.

As far as I know making a doujinshi does not raise funds, unless you have a world famous artist there or something. (I'm not sure how things are in the states, but.) I run a doujin circle making textbook with N-Forza and art by KirbyM in Japan, and it's not really creating profit. However, making a doujinshi itself is a good experience. It's productive and you are learning something as well as meeting new people.

gammaraptor

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 01:57:44 AM »
As far as I know making a doujinshi does not raise funds, unless you have a world famous artist there or something. (I'm not sure how things are in the states, but.) I run a doujin circle making textbook with N-Forza and art by KirbyM in Japan, and it's not really creating profit. However, making a doujinshi itself is a good experience. It's productive and you are learning something as well as meeting new people.

Thanks for the insight =]
Better idea, go make a doujinshi, and then make some copies for the club =D, for a minimal fee =P
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 02:17:08 AM by gammaraptor »

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 02:31:40 AM »
Like others have suggested earlier, get together and go to cons or stuff. I'd suggest going to a Japanese restaurant, but I remember when my club did that and it was a sort of shameful experience...

If someone's willing to bring their console in, you can do gaming sessions (BlazBlue was popular with our anime club)

For fundraising, you could always do something like selling bubble tea or snacks (I know quite a few anime clubs in the area do that)

gammaraptor

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 03:21:27 AM »
Like others have suggested earlier, get together and go to cons or stuff. I'd suggest going to a Japanese restaurant, but I remember when my club did that and it was a sort of shameful experience...

If someone's willing to bring their console in, you can do gaming sessions (BlazBlue was popular with our anime club)

For fundraising, you could always do something like selling bubble tea or snacks (I know quite a few anime clubs in the area do that)

Heh. the only con in our area is Animethon. But good thing too, cuz this year, they have taste of animethon.  Japanese restaurant sounds cool... Yup, plenty of ideas now ^^

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 03:39:51 AM »
Heh. the only con in our area is Animethon. But good thing too, cuz this year, they have taste of animethon.  Japanese restaurant sounds cool... Yup, plenty of ideas now ^^
Hm, you haven't heard about the smaller ones the high schools host like Sobabowl or Bellerose? They're not nearly as large but still sort of good to meet people at

gammaraptor

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 03:52:10 AM »
Heard of them. Just need to find them I suppose.

The Unlimited RR

• Last Showdown RR&D
    • Photobuckitz
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 04:48:31 AM »
My college is actually starting panels, where people experienced in the field in question within our club (Type-MOON, pixiv, Drawing, etc.) answer people's questions and give a few tips here and there on how to get started.  We're also planning on starting our own doujin, but we've still got a loooong way to go before getting there.

Drake

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2011, 05:14:14 AM »
where people experienced in the field in question within our club (Type-MOON, pixiv, Drawing, etc.)
* Drake is a pixiv expert

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

gammaraptor

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2011, 12:59:45 AM »
So... we didn't get approved.... -.-

This is the Student Union e-mailing you in regards to your club application.  Unfortunately the Anime Club has not been approved for club status; however, the club appeal date has been set for Monday, September 26 at extended lunch in room 110 in the course that you would like to make some amendments or make an argument in favour of approving your club.

Although the Anime Club is the first of its kind at Old Scona, the Student Union feels that the act of watching anime could be done individually, and that discussion about said anime can take place at school without official club status.  The idea of creating a doujinshi together is very creative; nonetheless, the Student Union feels that it is unnecessary to be an SU-approved club to do this.  We feel that an anime group can exist without being granted club status.

Any ideas of amendments that would let us get accepted?

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2011, 02:05:24 AM »
Did you state that the club is more than just "watching anime"?

gammaraptor

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2011, 02:25:31 AM »
Did you state that the club is more than just "watching anime"?
I stated it in the application as an activity, and I very obviously put other things as goals. The application form is way too limited..., and there was too much bias. Good thing for appeal, because if they don't accept this club after my arguments, I think they would just be plain discriminating against us. And they wouldn't want that to happen. My arguments are as follows:

By participating in events together, we have a greater sense of community, and are not limiting ourselves to a certain group of friends etc.
Eg. Clubs like "Fitness Club" don't need to necessarily form a club in order to participate in those activities.
We're not just about watching anime, we have a lot more of other activities (doujinshi making, discussion, going to a restauraunt?, contests) and learning opportunities (cosplay, aspects in anime, japanese, teaching some drawing)

I think that should be basically enough to convince them