Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 5)  (Read 49413 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 5)
« Reply #690 on: October 16, 2011, 11:52:39 PM »
>She's an Oni, all right.
>"Don't I wish it was that simple. But no. I was told that this curse- she called it a blight- had no cure. At least no cure that was known to her, and believe me, she's been around. If it was just a matter of beating up the right person, she would have told me."
>"But I'm not giving up that easily. I'm a Seeker. If there's a cure anywhere in this world to be found, I'm gonna find it. I'm not out of time just yet."

>The horn and manacles makes it hard to mistake her for anything else.
>Yuugi's expression remains grim and impassive for another few moments. Despite yourself, you find her looming presence disquieting. One doesn't become a leader of oni without the might to back it up. You don't see why she'd be upset with you at the moment, but that countenance makes you wish fervently never to be anywhere near her if she were. Then she suddenly breaks into a grin.
>"Proper thing!" she declares. "You're not done until you're done."

>"So, what'd you need to see me for?"

"Heard a little mouse tried to break an oni's face with her's," she says. "So I wanted to meet her for myself." She gives you another once over and then lets out a hearty chuckle.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #691 on: October 16, 2011, 11:59:31 PM »
>"Eh, it was nothing, just trying to hep a friend."
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

« Reply #692 on: October 17, 2011, 12:08:58 AM »
>"Eh, it was nothing, just trying to hep a friend."

>"Ha!" She gives you a presumably friendly, but still alarmingly forceful slap on the shoulder. You do your best not to visibly stagger. "Ya got guts, kid. And you won."
>She lets out another laugh. "I bet Yuzu's gonna be stewing over that for months."

« Reply #693 on: October 17, 2011, 12:54:47 AM »
>"Speaking of which, I'd been wondering what that whole affair was all about. It's not often you see oni hassling humans anymore. 'least around here."
>Rotate shoulder briefly.

« Reply #694 on: October 17, 2011, 01:33:08 AM »
>"Speaking of which, I'd been wondering what that whole affair was all about. It's not often you see oni hassling humans anymore. 'least around here."
>Rotate shoulder briefly.

>"Yuzu being a bloody boneheaded prat is what it's about," she says. "Too bad you didn't break a few more things while you were at it."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #695 on: October 17, 2011, 01:37:31 AM »
>"I felt bad enough for that sign as it was."

« Reply #696 on: October 17, 2011, 01:39:53 AM »
>Crack a grin.
>"I'll swing something harder the next time."
>"Still wonder what that guy did in the first place, though."

« Reply #697 on: October 17, 2011, 01:48:24 AM »
>"I felt bad enough for that sign as it was."

>"Ha!" Yuugi belts out a rich laugh and gives you another 'friendly' thump. "Suppose it'd be a shame if something worth a damn got broken 'cause of her."

>Crack a grin.
>"I'll swing something harder the next time."
>"Still wonder what that guy did in the first place, though."

>"Mind that ya do," she says, grinning back.
>"His job," she replies simply. "And a sight better than Yuzu ever did."

« Reply #698 on: October 17, 2011, 01:49:14 AM »
>"How's that?"

« Reply #699 on: October 17, 2011, 02:16:36 AM »
>"How's that?"

>"Her and Kojiro work at the same joint," she says. "Warehouse for one of the foundries. Y'know, supplies in, goods out, making sure everything gets where it needs to go, yeah? Well, last week he became her boss." She flashes you a feral grin. "Didn't like that one bit."

« Reply #700 on: October 17, 2011, 02:33:11 AM »
>"Obviously not. Her and her buddy, for that matter."
>"So I'm guessing Yuzu's still doing time?"

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #701 on: October 17, 2011, 02:33:53 AM »
>Chuckle slightly. "Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't have tried using something harder from the get-go, because from what you've said about 'er, and how she was back then, I should've laid her out right there if I could."
>...Maybe we should start carrying around an oni-caliber metal club for that sort of thing in the future?
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #702 on: October 17, 2011, 02:37:27 AM »
Well shit, now we're a scab. The only way to get back on the proper side of this labor dispute is to forcibly reclaim the means of production. With molotovs.

« Reply #703 on: October 17, 2011, 02:44:59 AM »
>Add to shopping list:
>1 Oni-grade Beatstick
>Ingredients for no fewer than three molotov cocktails
>1 Set of handcuffs.

« Reply #704 on: October 17, 2011, 03:05:59 AM »
>"Obviously not. Her and her buddy, for that matter."
>"So I'm guessing Yuzu's still doing time?"

>"Ango's an idiot for being there," Yuugi says, "and you better believe I've made sure she knows it, but she's still got better sense than to try punching up the Watch. Y'see, Yuzu's got this idea that oni are supposed to be on top. She's got the muscle, right? What's he got? She could break him in half without pulling a sweat." She laughs. "But they ain't bein' paid to break people. They're being paid to keep the factories moving, and he does a damn sight better at it than she ever could. About the only thing her head's good for is target practice." She laughs again.
>Yuugi grins a little. "Figured it'd do her good to have humans be the ones holding her. And if she does anything so stupid again, I'll put her back there myself with a couple less bones in her body."

>Chuckle slightly. "Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't have tried using something harder from the get-go, because from what you've said about 'er, and how she was back then, I should've laid her out right there if I could."
>...Maybe we should start carrying around an oni-caliber metal club for that sort of thing in the future?

>"Damn shame you didn't," she says. "Though I guess she would've missed being marched back by the Watch. We'll call it a wash."
>As rare as they seem these days, the real deal are alarmingly heavy.

>Add to shopping list:
>1 Oni-grade Beatstick
>Ingredients for no fewer than three molotov cocktails
>1 Set of handcuffs.

>"Got all that right here," Yuugi says, "if ya wanna save yerself a trip."

« Reply #705 on: October 17, 2011, 03:46:48 AM »
>"How'd Kojiro make out, anyway? I never got a chance to see him after the tussle was over."

« Reply #706 on: October 17, 2011, 03:49:35 AM »
>"How'd Kojiro make out, anyway? I never got a chance to see him after the tussle was over."

>"He's healin' okay," she says. "Couple broken bones, but nothing that won't get better. Guy's pretty tough for a human."

« Reply #707 on: October 17, 2011, 03:52:29 AM »
>High praise from an oni.
>"Good to hear."
>Point at the sword with our tail. "Tell me, you ever seen anything like this blade here before? If I can find the people that made it, I might be able to find a cure for this curse. There's writing on the guard, too, that I couldn't translate. Might be an oni language, for all I know."

« Reply #708 on: October 17, 2011, 03:57:18 AM »
>High praise from an oni.
>"Good to hear."
>Point at the sword with our tail. "Tell me, you ever seen anything like this blade here before? If I can find the people that made it, I might be able to find a cure for this curse. There's writing on the guard, too, that I couldn't translate. Might be an oni language, for all I know."

>Yuugi leans in towards the guard and stares at it for a couple moments. "Nah, nothing I can read," she says, then looks back up. "Ya mind taking the wrapping off the blade for a bit?"

« Reply #709 on: October 17, 2011, 03:58:20 AM »
>"That, I can do."
>Unwrap it.

« Reply #710 on: October 17, 2011, 04:14:53 AM »
>"That, I can do."
>Unwrap it.

>You slowly unwind the cloth from the blade, taking care not to cut it to uselessness in the process; parts of it are already looking fairly ragged on the interior. Yuugi examines the sword's surface with a practiced eye, then runs her finger along it and tests the edge and structure.
>"That's a damn fine weapon you got there," she says. "Wish I could tell ya you who forged it; I'd like to meet 'em myself!" She lets out another laugh. "But seriously, doesn't bring anyone to mind right away and I've seen my share. Certainly no one around here, anyhow. Where'd ya get it?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #711 on: October 17, 2011, 04:17:32 AM »
>"Found it underground, near an old shrine. From what I've been told, it's got to do with spiders. Have you ever heard of spiders being a problem around here?"

« Reply #712 on: October 17, 2011, 04:49:08 AM »
>"Found it underground, near an old shrine. From what I've been told, it's got to do with spiders. Have you ever heard of spiders being a problem around here?"

>"Spiders?" She gives you an odd look. "Nope, can't say I have. Well, unless you count that time that shipment from Takisaki was full of the buggers. The harbour was damn near crawling with them for weeks."
>She pauses. "Probably not what you meant, though."

« Reply #713 on: October 17, 2011, 04:57:59 AM »
>"Think bigger. Several feet bigger."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #714 on: October 17, 2011, 04:58:38 AM »
>"And maybe connected to a somewhat dim youkai. Keep that last bit to yourself for now."

« Reply #715 on: October 17, 2011, 05:03:40 AM »
>"Think bigger. Several feet bigger."

>Yuugi screws up her face a little. It rather reminds you of the expression one gets when they realize they've just stepped in something very unpleasant.

>"And maybe connected to a somewhat dim youkai. Keep that last bit to yourself for now."

>"Huh." She pauses. "Well, nothing like that, not around here."

« Reply #716 on: October 17, 2011, 05:25:40 AM »
>Very unpleasant. Yeah, that's a diplomatic way of putting it.
>"That's what I figured. You've been in a fair number of holes in the ground around here, figured you might have encountered something like this before. Had to ask."
>Begin wrapping the blade again, then pause. "Don't suppose you'd have a decent sheathe around here for this thing? Cloth's getting a bit ratty." If she forges weapons, she might have sheathes for them lying around.

« Reply #717 on: October 17, 2011, 05:47:42 AM »
>Very unpleasant. Yeah, that's a diplomatic way of putting it.
>"That's what I figured. You've been in a fair number of holes in the ground around here, figured you might have encountered something like this before. Had to ask."
>Begin wrapping the blade again, then pause. "Don't suppose you'd have a decent sheathe around here for this thing? Cloth's getting a bit ratty." If she forges weapons, she might have sheathes for them lying around.

>She shakes her head. "Nope, sorry."
>"Doubt I have anything that would fit it," she says. "Damn shame, too. Weapon like that deserves one to match. If you could let the thing go for a bit, I'd offer to get ya a proper one made for it for cheap. Guess that's gonna have to wait 'til you get this all fixed up, eh?" She flashes you a little grin. "Although... suppose I could get something loose in leather worked up to hold you over, if ya want. Damn crude for something that fine, but what can you do, eh?"

« Reply #718 on: October 17, 2011, 05:55:25 AM »
>"If there's one thing I've learned over the past few days, it's how to make do with what you have. Those big spiders I told ya about? Took down a full dozen of em with a couple daggers, a torch and a pitchfork I bummed off a farmer."
>"'bout how long will it take to up that leather one? I'll be glad to take you up on that offer, after this sorry affair is wrapped up, but I'll certainly take what I can get for now."

« Reply #719 on: October 17, 2011, 05:59:46 AM »
>"If there's one thing I've learned over the past few days, it's how to make do with what you have. Those big spiders I told ya about? Took down a full dozen of em with a couple daggers, a torch and a pitchfork I bummed off a farmer."
>"'bout how long will it take to up that leather one? I'll be glad to take you up on that offer, after this sorry affair is wrapped up, but I'll certainly take what I can get for now."

>"Ha! That's the right stuff, kid." She grins at you.
>"I can have it for you by tomorrow, if you wanna swing by again then," she says.