Author Topic: Translating Super Touhou Wars  (Read 8001 times)

Translating Super Touhou Wars
« on: April 26, 2011, 01:19:05 AM »
Hi. I know there's a thread for this, but it seems to have died out. Still, it's here, with all relevant info.

Basically, I would like to work on translating this. Being a professional Japanese to English translator, as well as a writer, I can definitely handle the translation part. The bad news is that I have a level of skill with computer stuff that's generally reserved for neanderthals.

In short, I can translate this, but I badly need hackers/programmers/whatever the term is (sorry, new to translation projects). Could anyone help out?

Thanks in advance. Sorry if I got something wrong with this post, I'm rather new here.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
Re: Translating Super Touhou Wars
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 07:57:08 AM »
Is it confirmed that the 4chan group scrapped the effort? That really sucks if so.

Anyway, I am not capable of hacking it, but I just might be able to script whatever stuff in if the file format of the files post-hacking are workable. I know how to code C++/C#/whatever as well as have some experience with different scripting languages, but yeah, not a super pro or a hacker yet.

I also am not really willing to devote this full time. I'll work on it by myself if I have to over time, but I make no promises as to it being finished ever or quickly (though I'll hope to finish it eventually), and am absolutely willing to be taken over by people with more talent or time if they so desire.

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 10:31:20 AM »
Is it confirmed that the 4chan group scrapped the effort? That really sucks if so.

It technically isn't a 4chan group now, but it isn't scrapped; it's about 95% complete (lacking a few random translations, mainly menus and such, and a lot of testing), and hopefully will be done within the next month or so.

To OP: If you do want to make your own patch, I can suggest starting by asking around for people who know how to hack Game Maker, which is the software that was used to make the game. I can't really help anymore than that myself, unfortunately.

DarkslimeZ

• A REIMU SLIME APPEARED.
  • COMMAND?
    • Eternal Temporality
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 01:57:29 PM »
It should be easy enough to grab a GM disassembler and go into the game, but not only is that probably illegal, the text is probably all stored in one of the dat files anyway. (Though, the dll file the programmer(s) used to pack all that stuff can probably be reversed by looking at the scripts in GM)

[14:12] <~BoredTSO> you need to have enough fissile material in a certain density to reach supercriticality

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 08:56:36 PM »
It technically isn't a 4chan group now, but it isn't scrapped; it's about 95% complete (lacking a few random translations, mainly menus and such, and a lot of testing), and hopefully will be done within the next month or so.

To OP: If you do want to make your own patch, I can suggest starting by asking around for people who know how to hack Game Maker, which is the software that was used to make the game. I can't really help anymore than that myself, unfortunately.

Oh.. yay!
Ok screw that, you're on your own! (to the op I mean) >=P

I know I heard someone else say that the idea was dumped because the game didn't need it because it was easy enough to understand without a translation, I was like wtf, and didn't really believe it, glad to know they were bsing.

GuyYouMetOnline

• Surprisingy not smart for lynch dodging
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 02:58:26 AM »
Any news on the translation? 'Cause, well, I tried the game without it, and, well, yeah.

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 04:02:00 AM »
Any news on the translation? 'Cause, well, I tried the game without it, and, well, yeah.
SRW-like games besides BMW have lousy translation efforts. See Alpha Gaiden, a game that got released on 2001, yet the translation (Started on 2003) was released on 2009.

GuyYouMetOnline

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 04:46:11 AM »
Yeah, but Deranged said the translation was almost done.

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 10:19:26 AM »

Pretty much 100% translated. But undergoing a seriously hellish testing and proofreading phase.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 03:26:03 AM »
So it's pretty much just about out the door and ready for the public then?
Sweet.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 03:28:42 AM »
Nice. News on this game's translation progress was so hard to find too. I've asked a few times elsewhere (like poosh) and was even told it was cancelled a few times.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 03:57:42 AM »
Aye, I tried searching for news on it myself, but to no avail.
Couldn't even find a scrap of info, much less where it's all going down.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 10:25:24 AM »
So it's pretty much just about out the door and ready for the public then?
Sweet.

Not exactly. When I said hellish, I really did mean hellish. The group's still fixing tons of bugs while everyone's dealing with rl stuff.

It will be released, but I think I won't be as foolish as to give a release date now.

GuyYouMetOnline

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 03:49:54 PM »
What sort of bugs are there? Are we talking about graphical things like dialog not matching with dialog bubbles correctly, or text appearing in odd places? Or are we talking more about Genius of Sappheiros-style game crashes?

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 05:28:52 PM »
That's true, but to me, that's essentially "Almost out the door".
All they gotta do is clear up the bugs, and boom. Translation complete.

But yeah, the sort of bugs they're dealing with is pretty important too.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2011, 07:51:38 PM »
Yeah, sometimes fixing bugs can take longer than translating the damn game though.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2011, 07:59:36 PM »
Maybe if they had more help?
Seeing as how apparently most of them are dealing with RL things, like deranged said.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2011, 12:17:38 AM »
I sincerely doubt any of them want it at this point. I don't have contact myself but...yeah.