Author Topic: Touhou Accomplishments X - Scoran Like A Moran  (Read 151351 times)

ark

• みょん
Re: Touhou Accomplishments X - Scoran Like A Moran
« Reply #630 on: December 28, 2010, 11:57:22 AM »
But Shou and Byakuren are so much fun. You should 1cc this game some time.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 02:44:03 AM by Nereid »

« Reply #631 on: December 28, 2010, 02:39:20 PM »
I hate Byakuren to death! And i don't really do 1cc'ing much. Except for the rest of the series to demonstrate how pathetic they are. This game is not pathetic however since you'll have to deal with a crappy UFO system that can easily screw you over and my complete lack of patience.

And Stage 5 sucks for having a stage portion. Its basically a 2 minute load time before the boss.

Shou is fun... but Byakuren? How is that anything but masochistic?

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #632 on: December 28, 2010, 03:08:55 PM »
I hate Byakuren to death! And i don't really do 1cc'ing much. Except for the rest of the series to demonstrate how pathetic they are. This game is not pathetic however since you'll have to deal with a crappy UFO system that can easily screw you over and my complete lack of patience.

And Stage 5 sucks for having a stage portion. Its basically a 2 minute load time before the boss.

I also hate the UFO system. It gives you a ridiculous amount of resources and screws you over because you become too confident. :shakesfist:
You can clearly see when an UFO is about to change color.

Also, don't you mean stage 6?

Shou is fun... but Byakuren? How is that anything but masochistic?

Because... that's what shmups are all about?

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #633 on: December 28, 2010, 03:32:56 PM »
People hating the UFO system for such different reasons around here, eh? My position was always because they force you into unsafe positions. To tie into the Stage 6 talk, its stage portion is an absolute joke when you play it "normally". Every stage is a bit like that actually, save for the second half of Stage 5.

I like Byakuren's fight though. It's pretty hard for a final boss, but everything feels fair enough to make it enjoyable.
Spoiler:
Except her second nonspell. That can go die in a fire.
As for Shou, her danmaku and me just don't agree on a fundamental level. ::)

To stay on-topic, I think I may have found a way to make supergrazing the first helix Great Fairies in SA Stage 1 a bit easier. I always had trouble with the normal fairies picking me off because I can't react to their shots at all, but timing unfocused shots at a certain time is helping me survive that part more often.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

« Reply #634 on: December 28, 2010, 03:52:43 PM »
No, i mean stage 5. I have it completely memorized which means its a boring waste of my time. If i want to practice Radiant Treasure Gun i have to sit through it every time. I also mean Stage 6 because that level is also boring. But to be fair, most final stages in Touhou are pretty boring.

I won't just be a complete bitch and moan about UFO's bad sides. Its also important to remember its good sides. Like Stage 3 and 4. The stages offer varied gameplay and don't center around memorization. Why can't the rest of the game be like that? Maybe if things got balanced a little so that maybe the bosses got a little simpler but the stages got a little harder in the style of a legitimately challenging level with an equally challenging boss.

That's actually a reoccuring theme in the Touhou games. A complete lack of balance. Take for example MoF. Aya is way harder than Sanae. So... why is Sanae the Stage 5 boss again? Shouldn't it be the other way around? And is there any reason for something so late in the game to be so pathetic?

SA did the same mistake except that the balancing problem was moved a bit with S4 and S5 having challenging stages AND bosses which makes grinding them not boring but more fun. Too bad that Stage 6 doesn't carry on in that spirit. And too bad that the first three stages are pathetic.

So basically, what this all means is that i hope that ZUN figures out what he did right and what he did wrong for Touhou 13. That is just doesn't do to have a 1/10 difficulty stage followed up by a 10/10 difficulty boss. Have 6 stages, of rising difficulty - not just random, with an equally difficult stage portion and boss and make things as little about memorization (things like simply remembering where enemies spawn and such are okay) as possible. Then take a lot of the creativity used to make patterns in SA, UFO and GFW and make a masterpiece.

EDIT: As this thread isn't meant for talking about how ZUN should make things and how he shouldn't, i'm gonna post an accomplishment. I have over the past weeks on and off had boatloads of fun playing GFW and making Hard mode 1cc's. I wanted to get the hard 1cc's out of the way before focusing on Lunatic mode so i've been making 1cc's of all the routes. Today i just managed to clear C-2. In one attempt even. Same as C-1. Both B routes took me two attempts but i thought the C-routes where supposed to be the hardest ones. Idk what the truth is there yet but the point is that i got to the final boss and their first spellcard knocked me down to 1 life. I was certain that my run was over but then i managed to no-miss the rest of the fight. Nice!

EDIT 2:

Just made myself another Lunatic A-1 clear. It went like crap but i still managed to 1cc. I think i'll try and polish up that 1cc a bit before heading on to A-2. One miss more and i wouldn't had 1cc'd.

I'd wish this game had practice mode. Its a lot of fun.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 04:57:09 PM by Zengeku the Vulture »

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #635 on: December 28, 2010, 06:37:17 PM »
UFO Stage 5 is "completely" memorizeable? Some parts are, but whatever happened to the red bullet spam at the end?

Moving on to GFW, I found that I could actually skip Hard Mode and go straight to Lunatic as I learned each route. Too few bullets to freeze on anything but Lunatic, if you ask me. The reason I don't like the C Routes, and why others might view them as tough, is precisely because Stage 1 for the C Routes doesn't have enough bullets for efficient freezing. I don't remember the exact order of route difficulty, but generally the final boss fights with Sunny Milk or Star Sapphire as leader are around the same difficulty, while Luna Child as leader is harder.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #636 on: December 29, 2010, 04:22:51 AM »
Video of my perfect Eirin fight

Also, there is nothing strange about the video. If you think there is, you must consider if what you've been doing has been the wrong all this time.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Vibri

• yo, the beats are strong
  • but the night is long
« Reply #637 on: December 29, 2010, 04:49:43 AM »
1cc IN Lunatic.  During a stream, even!  That'll probably be the last Lunatic I clear because I don't like the other games enough to learn them :X

Krimmydoodle

• We must apply more SCIENCE!
« Reply #638 on: December 29, 2010, 08:14:56 AM »
Finally, UFO Stage 4 NDNBNUFO (now in YouTube format)

And yet... I'm not as happy as I should be, because I screwed up, of all things, a piece of silly choreography.  I would make it a point to end the stage with a red and blue UFO on hand, and grab a green one at the end so that the sound effect of the UFO spawning would combine with the opening chord of Murasa's theme.  It sounds awesome if you do it right, but I failed to walk in with the right UFO stock so I couldn't do it.

I must be completely missing the point of playing these games.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 10:22:12 AM by Krim »
Whether you're on Easy or you're a Lunatic, be damn proud of your accomplishments.  Don't let anyone convince you otherwise, for it's when you lose faith in your own achievements that those victories become defeats.

J.O.B

• YOU CAN'T MAKE ME CHANGE
« Reply #639 on: December 29, 2010, 09:03:49 AM »
Cleared UFO extra for the 2nd time and finished 2/2(i think) as opposed to my first run which ended either 0/0 or 0/1.
Also capped Frogger Heiankyou

« Reply #640 on: December 29, 2010, 09:40:46 AM »
UFO Stage 5 is "completely" memorizeable? Some parts are, but whatever happened to the red bullet spam at the end?

Well, yes there is that. That part is pretty fun. The rest though is memo or just very simple.

1cc IN Lunatic.  During a stream, even!  That'll probably be the last Lunatic I clear because I don't like the other games enough to learn them :X

Congratulations with that.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #641 on: December 29, 2010, 04:39:06 PM »
Interesting. I think I may have discovered the secrets to properly streaming Byakuren's second nonspell and to capturing the red bullet spam at the end of UFO Stage 5, both in one sitting. Need more time to verify these though.

« Reply #642 on: December 29, 2010, 08:37:57 PM »
capturing the red bullet spam at the end of UFO Stage 5

Hug a wall and dodge.

Krimmydoodle

« Reply #643 on: December 29, 2010, 09:08:37 PM »
Actually, no, you don't want to hug the wall there (unless you mean the lower wall, but even then it's just bad practice since staying higher up gives you four directions to move instead of three).  The fairies can fire bullets from offscreen, so there's a chance of getting hit by a bullet that you literally never saw.
Whether you're on Easy or you're a Lunatic, be damn proud of your accomplishments.  Don't let anyone convince you otherwise, for it's when you lose faith in your own achievements that those victories become defeats.

ark

• みょん
« Reply #644 on: December 29, 2010, 11:40:41 PM »
Hugging a corner works for me.

Good job VgameT! yay

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #645 on: December 30, 2010, 03:38:11 AM »
MoF Extra Stage perfect run!

Yay, finally. I confess, I stole Zengeku's strategy for dealing with the end of Suwa War, but hey, it works wonders.
Spoiler:
Thanks dude. d(^_^)
With this, MoF joins SA and PCB as one of three Touhou games where I've perfected all but one stage in the entire game.

Hug a wall and dodge.
My ideal position is not against any wall. And like Krim said, bullets can come from offscreen, so I don't want to risk bullets randomly blindsiding me.

Krimmydoodle

« Reply #646 on: December 30, 2010, 08:03:19 AM »
IN Stage 4B NDNB

Join me in laughing at the loldodging that occurs because I completely forgot how to lead around Final Spark in a proper manner.

Also, it feels really awesome seeing 8 lives and 8 bombs up in the corner, even if it's just in stage practice.

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #647 on: December 30, 2010, 08:37:20 AM »
Mountain of SPEED Extra Youtubed.

I die to everything easy and bomb what's hard. Hahaha.

I suppose I should reupload my IN Extra 90FPS run, too, since the quality is shit (as well as pretty much everything before I found Hypercam...)

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #648 on: December 30, 2010, 08:48:56 AM »
Wait, then what were you using to record them with? (and why is the IN Extra 90fps you have in wide screen?)
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #649 on: December 30, 2010, 10:04:59 AM »
See Camstudio, incapable of recording anything Touhou at more than 10FPS and if the file size went over 2GB the program would stop running and it wouldn't work with Megui properly because RAGE.

But everything before my Perfect MoF stage 5 lunatic is, well, shit quality because none of the camstudio vids worked with Megui.

That's besides the point of the accomplishment thread, though, but I don't have anything noteworthy to say. D:

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #650 on: December 30, 2010, 11:42:02 AM »
Oh, Camstudio. I have that. Freaking sucks. I thought it was only performing badly when I got it on my 98, then I got Windows 7 and it still sucks. (yet I still have it on my system. hmmm)
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

« Reply #651 on: December 30, 2010, 11:51:27 AM »
Actually, no, you don't want to hug the wall there (unless you mean the lower wall, but even then it's just bad practice since staying higher up gives you four directions to move instead of three).  The fairies can fire bullets from offscreen, so there's a chance of getting hit by a bullet that you literally never saw.

I like to put myself near the corner so that i can kill the fairies coming from that side as fast as possible. I suppose hugging the wall is not the best term. Just hang around near it. That's what i do anyway and Jaimers told me how to do it.

MoF Extra Stage perfect run!

Yay, finally. I confess, I stole Zengeku's strategy for dealing with the end of Suwa War, but hey, it works wonders.
Spoiler:
Thanks dude. d(^_^)
With this, MoF joins SA and PCB as one of three Touhou games where I've perfected all but one stage in the entire game.
My ideal position is not against any wall. And like Krim said, bullets can come from offscreen, so I don't want to risk bullets randomly blindsiding me.

Sure enough. I upload my stuff both to impress people and show how i like to do things. If you learn something then its just great! And nicely done with that MoF Extra run. :) I should go see yours of SA Extra and copy how the heck i'm supposed to do Philosophy

Critz

• Heartwarming ★ Miracle
« Reply #652 on: December 30, 2010, 11:47:57 PM »

(Click image)

I`m sure I will never accomplish anything better than finally defeating my arch-nemesis. I still can`t breathe.

ark

• みょん
« Reply #653 on: December 31, 2010, 12:54:07 AM »
Perfect MoF Extra. Sorry, it seems like a popular thing to do lately.

Thanks Zengeku for that Suwa War thing. :V

ebarrett

« Reply #654 on: December 31, 2010, 12:54:32 AM »
I`m sure I will never accomplish anything better than finally defeating my arch-nemesis.

WRONG

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #655 on: December 31, 2010, 12:59:38 AM »
[SA Extra clear]
Perfect MoF Extra. Sorry, it seems like a popular thing to do lately.

Good job! SA's Extra was the toughest for me, for sure. Have you cleared the others yet? And man, I'm kind of tempted to go back and try that MoF Extra perfect now. :V That goddamn Red Frog card, though...
Let's fight.

ark

• みょん
« Reply #656 on: December 31, 2010, 01:02:06 AM »
That card isn't so bad if you can get the two to go in roughly the same place. I didn't do a very good job of that, but it should be memorizable.

May as well post my UFO Lunatic 1cc on Youtube.

« Reply #657 on: December 31, 2010, 11:34:35 AM »
That goddamn Red Frog card, though...

Guess i'm not alone.

Thanks Zengeku for that Suwa War thing. :V

I have helped two people achieve perfect runs now? That's awesome. Nicely done.

I`m sure I will never accomplish anything better than finally defeating my arch-nemesis. I still can`t breathe.

Give yourself a couple of months or a bit more and you will find it hard to understand how you ever found that boss hard. I'm certain things will turn out that way for you.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 11:37:01 AM by Zengeku the Vulture »

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #658 on: December 31, 2010, 08:03:22 PM »

ark

• みょん
« Reply #659 on: December 31, 2010, 09:13:09 PM »
I have helped two people achieve perfect runs now? That's awesome. Nicely done.
Well I looked at the WR replay for ReimuB and that had the same tactic there, so :V