Author Topic: This is the 9th thread dedicated to the recording of failures at playing Touhou.  (Read 149912 times)

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
Yeah, I can argue against a bunch of stuff on that page too. Even regarding PCB Stage 4, I would call it the longest, but not the hardest, because most of the stage portion is aimed or static. If you ask me, the hardest stage portion would probably be either SA Stage 5 or UFO Stage 5. Maybe I should make my own contributions to the page when I have the time.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Hrmn.

Schezo

• en-counse
That is just so wrong Naut.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
Died as the second wave of Possessed By Phoenix ended.

Has anyone anywhere noted that the second phase lasts too goddamn long?

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
Died as the second wave of Possessed By Phoenix ended.

Has anyone anywhere noted that the second phase lasts too goddamn long?
It always seems that way. If I die on that wave, it's always the very last seconds of it. (maybe ZUN was aware of this...)
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

words

I feel like I've seen this before. Do you go to THAT Touhou forum? Someone else there wasted seven hours trying to perfect UFO Stage 1 Lunatic. I'll tell you the same thing I told them: if you're spending seven hours trying to clear a stage on Lunatic, maybe you shouldn't be playing on Lunatic.

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
I feel like I've seen this before. Do you go to THAT Touhou forum? Someone else there wasted seven hours trying to perfect UFO Stage 1 Lunatic. I'll tell you the same thing I told them: if you're spending seven hours trying to clear a stage on Lunatic, maybe you shouldn't be playing on Lunatic.

Everyone has to move on somehow if they cleared Hard in the same game. It's more like "If you're spending seven hours trying to clear a stage on Lunatic, you're going to have a long, hard time clearing Lunatic".

If you're spending seven hours trying to clear a stage on Lunatic, maybe you shouldn't be playing on Lunatic.

Maybe he should save UFO Lunatic for another time... since its easily the hardest one. @Paper_Conan: Are you done with the rest of the series' Lunatics? If not then i'd recommend going for those first.

Hrmn.

Aww that was close too  :(. That capture rate? Is that due to attempts to capture it at 90FPS or timeouts... or just dying a lot? I'm a little curious. :)

Yeah, I can argue against a bunch of stuff on that page too. Even regarding PCB Stage 4, I would call it the longest, but not the hardest, because most of the stage portion is aimed or static. If you ask me, the hardest stage portion would probably be either SA Stage 5 or UFO Stage 5. Maybe I should make my own contributions to the page when I have the time.

Yeah and also that thing about Keine. That was really hard to take seriously. Her stuff was easy for me back when i was still struggling to beat Mokou. Ah good old days... About S5's in SA and UFO. I think its SA's thats the hardest one. If i could perfect that stage portion i would've had a Perfect Stage 5 a long time ago since Orin's my bitch. UFO is pretty much the other way around. I handle the stage pretty well with the only actual threat being Greatest Treasure... Shou however... well, let's just say i'm her bitch.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 01:33:56 PM by Zengeku »

Aww that was close too  :(. That capture rate? Is that due to attempts to capture it at 90FPS or timeouts... or just dying a lot? I'm a little curious. :)

Probably faced the card at 60fps as Reimu B... Three times? Four times? Something like that.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
ehh.. I read "perfect" a stage, not just "clear" it.. and I rekon it could take ME about the same length of time to do that on a lunatic stage in some cases..But hard modes are clearly no longer much of a challenge for me, so really. Keep plugging away >=)

Edit: Forgot to mention that bit about TVTropes. Some parts we can all agree or disagree to I'm sure. Fact is I don't think most of the articles there are written for Touhou-experienced players so much as those rather new to the series (or completely unknowledgable about it), keeping that perspective in m ind, I think It's reasonably accurate.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
why do all of my runs in everything go to hell in stage 4

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
ZUN has his ways with stage 4.

SoEW Marisa: freakin' orbs.
LLS: Reimu fights Marisa, Marisa fights Reimu.
MS Yuki and Mai: Fighting both, and depending on who you kill first, you re-fight the other with reset health.
EoSD Patchy: Different spells depending on character and shot type, along with difficulty.
PCB Prismriver sisters: Depending on who you choose, different opener. And depending on who you shoot the most on first spell, different person = different attacks.
IN stage 4a or 4b: Again, depending on who you choose you get either Reimu or Marisa.
MoF Aya: Can't say much about her. Though she showed up on 9th game before the usual danmaku game type.
SA Satori: Recollection spells are different for every shot type.
UFO Murasa: ANCHORS!!!

(games 1, 3, 9 and non-whole numbered games don't count, since they're different)
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

I think It's reasonably accurate.

Can't really say who its targetted for. I facepalmed. That's all.  :V If somebody do get something constructive out of it though i suppose its cool.

ZUN has his ways with stage 4.
And aside from those notes on the bosses, the stages also generally take a notable difficulty jump.  I suppose it's ZUN's way of saying "Good job, but the next half won't be so easy!"

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
Man, I think I played too much. My hands are fucking stiff. That never happens.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
And aside from those notes on the bosses, the stages also generally take a notable difficulty jump.  I suppose it's ZUN's way of saying "Good job, but the next half won't be so easy!"

EoSD: Stage 3: Five lives Stage 4: Two lives
PCB: Stage 3: Seven lives Stage 4: Three lives
IN: Stage 3: Six lives Stage 4: Three lives
MoF: Stage 3: Six lives Stage 4: Three lives
SA: Stage 3: Five lives Stage 4: No lives
UFO: Stage 3: Five lives Stage 4: (I usually game over before finishing St. 4)

Also, SATORI KOMEIJI RAGE HERE

Heartbeam

Finished piecing together a PCB Extra death (mostly) collage, various shot types.  I'm happy to leave Reimu-B alone now, but I'm a little upset that this was the only time I accidentally ended Chen's first spell too early.  That'll look a little bad for the showcase, but there's no reason to stop with that run.  Just not today, or any day in my immediate future.  Everything under Extra was updated by 12/31, but I couldn't let go.  I'll be returning to Reimu-A and Sakuya-B sooner or later.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
I'm trying to learn how to capture Orin's first boss card with ReimuA at 2.xx Power, as part of my scoring path. It's proving more trouble than it's worth, as she's too weak to handle it straight at the bottom. I haven't ruled out going back and forth, but I still suck at it, and restarting the stage every time I die gets cumbersome real quick. And I don't want to sacrifice more graze than I already am by eliminating another bomb from my path just to get more Power.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
I think I tapped into my innate Touhou Hax powers some days ago- (it only happens between 00:00 and 02:00 and has a ~30% chance of failure)- when I 1CC'd EoSD Normal, because I cannot for the life of me do it again

CrimsonDX

• Hourai Doll
  • キモちのいいけーね~~
I think I tapped into my innate Touhou Hax powers some days ago- (it only happens between 00:00 and 02:00 and has a ~30% chance of failure)- when I 1CC'd EoSD Normal, because I cannot for the life of me do it again

TH8 and TH10 are still the only two TH games I can semi-consistently 1CC on easy mode so I know what you mean :(

MTSranger

• =.=
Suddenly I can't fight remilia anymore. Keep dying to her non-spells for some reason :V
Damn it what's wrong with me...

The fuck? I fail at Touhou suddenly!!! Well, i haven't played for months so i guess that was to be expected and everything that doesn't involve small gaps was easy "Storm Day, Hydro Camouflage etc.) but things like PWG was suddenly a lot harder.

I should play more Touhou.

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
Yeah I think I give up on this for the moment.

"Triple Black Death Butterfly" with uncancelable bullets is just way too much. Got there twice with 3 lives and still couldn't even get past it.

Spoiler:
Perfect Chicken Flavor Donatic BTW

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
I finally got a *really* bad comeuppance for flying around too much without watching where I'm going today.

(Is playing PoFV with someone who is only a beginner at the series)
Friend: But you're a lot better at me than this.
Me: I'll give you a handicap by having only half a life. *smug* Still unlikely that you'll beat me though.

(Ten seconds into the first match, I fly into a fairy)
Friend: ... >_<
Me: ... >_<
(And so the awkward silence persists for the rest of the PoFV session.)

Heartbeam

Second edition of the PCB Extra death collage!  Featuring Reimu-A, Sakuya-B, and Marisa-A.

Reimu-A's final run ended Chen's first spell too early, again.  I also love (or hate) it for the fact that I should have died a thousand times over against Ran's final spell.  Sakuya-B ended the noncard prior to Ultimate Buddhist at the wrong spot, requiring her to shoot at Ran a little longer for the cherry.  Even so I overshot the required cherry for the last border at the end by roughly 1500, which combined with her already lowered health would put me short on cherry and end the next noncard just as I collected enough cherry for a border.  Failed to summon a border, basically.  Marisa-A's final run had personal the best CherryMax I ever saw before Ran (618K), but I threw away the lead by summoning the border too early for the first spell and the following noncard.  Final spell sucked, hard.  The player control seriously looks really bad.

Wanted to get a SoEW replay up, so I decided to do a quick normal run... I die once on stage 4 from a bullet I didn't even see (damn Anex), and again shortly after from a bodyslam... Both with full bombs in reserve.  Also wasted my last life on Mima with bombs in reserve because I didn't think her final phase was going to hit me... It did.

Also I tried to do a no death (excluding suicide at start) MoF score run (normal) this morning.  I failed it on pretty much the easiest card in the game (Nitori's first card).

EDIT - Horrid SoEW run just now.  Died twice on magic stones with a ton of bombs leftover... In spots where I shouldn't have needed to bomb anyway.  Same goes for Mima, but my performance on her was even worse.  Also a retarded death on Marisa.  I did get 3 bombs to drop from ghosts on stage 1 though... Can't say I've ever seen that happen before.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 04:40:53 AM by chirpy13 »

Schezo

• en-counse
Are you kidding me? Really?

EoSD run and I die with the tiniest margin of hp possible for the boss to have before I capture the card or attack and a get hit on Meiling's last card twice.  Princess Undine which would have been my first time ever capturing it.  Then on the Star of David which blew my run at that point since I derped so many times.

Ooo, failure.

Ok, here we go, I got Uncontrollable Nuclear Reaction and Peta Flare captured, this is gonna be my random perfect Utsuho run...

HOW DID I FAIL TEN EVIL STARS!? I EVEN USED THE CHEAP WAY!?
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
After seeing Jaimers use savestates to achieve another amazing thing in PC-98, I decided to give perfecting Mu/Gengetsu another whirl.

Died on last phase ten seconds from the end. ;_;
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Beat Suwako....but when she was in that phase when you beat a boss they take a few seconds to properly die, and all the bullets disappear, i died during that phase. -____-"

Fml.