Author Topic: This is the 9th thread dedicated to the recording of failures at playing Touhou.  (Read 149908 times)

MTSranger

• =.=
You just go somewhere else where you get half the bullets coming straight down (so you can read it well in advance of the other half) instead of having both sets come at you at weird angles.
I suck at dodging more-horizontal bullets by moving horizontally.
I can't move diagonally with my keyboard.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
In what exactly does "corner dodging" differs from "normal dodging"? You just go somewhere else where you get half the bullets coming straight down (so you can read it well in advance of the other half) instead of having both sets come at you at weird angles. Most evident in one of those Kaguya last spells whose names nobody actually remembers.
I think you answered your own question. That is the difference really, the angles of the bullets make the criss-crossing look less awkward near the corners.

If your talking about Kaguya's "End of Imperishable Night -Half Past 2-" (third Last Spell), I don't know if that's a good analogy, as you're supposed to go through it's blue and red curves one at a time. A better comparison would probably be Suwako's last card, Scourge Sign "Mishaguji-sama", which is just a rehash of the green wave of "Hourai Elixir".

I actually have a tip for "Hourai Elixir's" green wave that doesn't involve using the corner. Starting from the bottom, move up slightly and do purely horizontal dodging - you'll find that the green bullets will cross and open back up right above you. I apologize, I don't remember the exact distance this is supposed to be, so for now I recommend just eyeballing it. The whole premise of this strategy hinges on your ability to read where the bullets cross at a certain distance above you (they actually always cross at the same vertical distances), then placing yourself right under those spots to let the bullets slide around you.

Hopefully I described that well enough. If not, I'll see if I can make a demonstration at some point.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

ebarrett

If your talking about Kaguya's "End of Imperishable Night -Half Past 2-" (third Last Spell), I don't know if that's a good analogy, as you're supposed to go through it's blue and red curves one at a time.

No, I meant the second one with the crisscrossing grid and the aimed bubbles.

lmagus

• I HATE VoWG
    • My Youtube
Yeah cornering helped a lot with Hourai Elixir, now it's the last few seconds that always kill me..

140 tries so far :P
Current Goal: PCB Lunatic 1cc
Watch me on Youtube

日巫子

• It's a cheer up charm!
  • ふそそそそそ
    • Hydrangeamaiden
I haven't even bothered to count how many times I've continued Satori's stage.  I just know that I'm getting dizzy and tired out from all the amulets.  Can't be arsed to call it quits and start over tomorrow, since I've gotten as far as straw doll kamikaze.  I just cleared stage 3 for the first time, too...

My main frustration, however, is how long it takes just to get an extra life.  Uuurgh, from what I remember, UFO was so much more generous with items ;~;

☆ Check my profile for links to my sites! ☆
[21:12] <OneLoveOnePurvis> *Black as hell and bitter as love. That is coffee.*
[17:42] <Amra> Himiko's one of the people that's really cute but sometimes art shifts into like hard jojo-style
[17:42] <Amra> as she does something out of character

UFO is definitely not more generous with items. The amount of bombs available in SA pretty much break the difficulty quite a bit. But then I guess the bombs were meant more for scoring like in MoF, well at least for the most used shottype.

I'd say UFO was more generous with items if it weren't for having to take insane risks to get some of the UFOs or if you could always safely get them. But as is, there's way too much potential for my path to them to get blocked on some stages.

MTSranger

• =.=
The amount of bombs available in SA pretty much break the difficulty quite a bit.
Really? Maybe I'm just mistaken, but the SA bombs do so much less damage that you can't simply bomb through cards like before.

My main frustration, however, is how long it takes just to get an extra life.
Actually, you do get a fair bit of extra lives like 7 or 8 of them, if you don't game over too soon.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 05:28:18 AM by jsonchiu »

日巫子

• It's a cheer up charm!
  • ふそそそそそ
    • Hydrangeamaiden
I'm sorry, I'm not good at this so everything seems off OTL

☆ Check my profile for links to my sites! ☆
[21:12] <OneLoveOnePurvis> *Black as hell and bitter as love. That is coffee.*
[17:42] <Amra> Himiko's one of the people that's really cute but sometimes art shifts into like hard jojo-style
[17:42] <Amra> as she does something out of character

Got to Yuyuko on Hard, died with 2 bombs in stock, died shortly after with 3 bombs in stock.  I have a feeling I could have cleared it if I'd have bombed =/.

lmagus

• I HATE VoWG
    • My Youtube
I got to Shou on hard.

I was raped =(
Current Goal: PCB Lunatic 1cc
Watch me on Youtube

DgBarca

• Umineko fuck yeah
  • Spoilers ?
*sigh*

THE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
[21:16] <redacted> dgbarca makes great work
[21:16] <redacted> i hope he'll make a full game once

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
Really? Maybe I'm just mistaken, but the SA bombs do so much less damage that you can't simply bomb through cards like before.
ReimuC's bomb is the only one that does respectable and reliable damage by itself, but in a sense anyone can "bypass" a card by using a bomb at the right time. ReimuA is one example: she can bypass DBDB by bombing anytime between the 3rd and 4th waves, or the Catwalk by bombing just before the first set of rings reaches her. This comparison is kind of a stretch, and in general bombs cannot bypass cards in the same "fashion" as in other games.

Also a statistic to back up Enigma's statement, assuming you collect a majority of the Power items in the game, there's enough Power to supply you with over 40 bombs.

Actually, you do get a fair bit of extra lives like 7 or 8 of them, if you don't game over too soon.
10 extra lives, actually (50 life-pieces total). The catch is you have to not die or run out of time on any attacks that supply them.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Critz

• Heartwarming ★ Miracle
This. Is. It. Seriously. Fuck this shit. 5th run killed by Subterranean Rose. Seriously, this stage is too much for me. Not only I didn`t make an error all the way to it this time (I mean NO deaths with bombs till Rose), which is insanely rare by itself, but I STILL had only 1/1 when I started Philosophy, which needs 2 bombs at the very least (3 are optimal), so I HAVE to start Rose with no spare lives no matter what. Then I died on 2nd phase because the game refused to accept a bomb which I activated the exact splitsecond I got hit, while I decided to bomb before I got hit. Blaaahgrfgdg. Hell, I stopped abusing pause button on Genetics, bur now I`m tempted to do so again to actually clear that damn stage. Not only that crap of a game has the most panic-inducing system ever, where a single slight mistake can kill the run, but it`s also extremely stingy with extends compared to other installments, with no point extends AT ALL and no UFOs to make up for it as well as punishing you FURTHER for said mistake by denying you a life piece. Playing this well would leave me with 2 spare lives on Yukari, Mokou or fuck, Flandre. I put WAY more effort into this particular stage and it`s still not enough... Is that some kind of punishment for not being able to dodge Super-Ego well and shotgunning it instead? (And why the hell I get 2 bombs after I die on it, instead of usual 3?) Would it kill you to give one more extend or make deathbombing actually possible (I don`t mean IN, I mean PCB Reimu deathbomb, which was perfect), you fucking bastard!

/end rant
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 01:09:10 AM by Critz »

No timeout phase + easy first phase = boring but simple win.

I also don't like Koishi, and it's 1 of the 2 things I don't like about the game. The other being Yamame's opener on Lunatic.

Amount of bombs after dying is based on lives left. I think if you're at 3 spare lives or less when the death happens, you get 3(or full for last life). It's more important to keep that in mind in the case of scoring where you want to time suicides for power, but I'm not sure if that's profitable in Extra like it is on Lunatic..
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 01:50:00 AM by Phoenixma »

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
Critz, don't give up yet! Be thankful you can get to "Subterranean Rose" in the first place. Just keep playing and you'll begin to understand how each attack works. If you can't figure something out, find a replay or Youtube video of an SA Extra no-death/perfect run and study the hell out of it.

Then I died on 2nd phase because the game refused to accept a bomb which I activated the exact splitsecond I got hit, while I decided to bomb before I got hit. Blaaahgrfgdg.
But the second phase is the easiest. :ohdear:

Just out of curiosity, are you experiencing any input lag as you move around and such? Maybe that could affect how you play. If not, then you in fact did not press the bomb button in time. I've been mentioning this in a few places already, but don't completely rely on deathbombs to save you - if something looks too hairy, then bomb before it gets to you. That way you don't have to risk getting hit and not releasing a bomb in time.

Is that some kind of punishment for not being able to dodge Super-Ego well and shotgunning it instead?
You got this backwards. You stay near Koishi for "Release of the Id", but "Super-Ego" is best handled close to the bottom of the screen.

I might as well stay on-topic here. You know when you get a shit-ton of good accomplishments in Touhou, but then feel completely burnt out afterward and can't continue with anything else? That's me in a nutshell right now.

MTSranger

• =.=
This. Is. It. Seriously. Fuck this shit. 5th run killed by Subterranean Rose.
That was my main frustration. Eventually I got to Rose with more than 1 life and so I cleared 0/0

Seriously, this stage is too much for me. Not only I didn`t make an error all the way to it this time (I mean NO deaths with bombs till Rose), which is insanely rare by itself, but I STILL had only 1/1 when I started Philosophy, which needs 2 bombs at the very least (3 are optimal), so I HAVE to start Rose with no spare lives no matter what.
Learn to capture: Ancestors (easy), Paranoia (even easier), Id (you will get it at some point), Polygraph (pseudo-static)
Learn to survive (i.e. able to clear with 1-2 bombs):
Super Ego: this shouldn't be much harder than Id... after you "get it"
Embers: stay under Koishi for aimed wave, move up to shot gun for the non-aimed wave, you can move Koishi
Roscharch: bomb! in the right time, don't risk clipdeath (killed me countless times)
Genetics: have a route planned out and don't try to dodge 2 or 3 waves at the same time, or it's recipe for death
Philosophy: survive first phase, strategic bomb the rest (you need 3 bombs)

Then I died on 2nd phase because the game refused to accept a bomb which I activated the exact splitsecond I got hit, while I decided to bomb before I got hit. Blaaahgrfgdg.
2nd phase should be the easiest. You don't even need to move vertical (like in 1st/3rd wave) to slip through.
Simply sit in the middle and move horizontally to dodge each wave. You will have to slowly back off, but that's easy.

but it`s also extremely stingy with extends compared to other installments, with no point extends AT ALL and no UFOs to make up for it as well as punishing you FURTHER for said mistake by denying you a life piece. Playing this well would leave me with 2 spare lives on Yukari, Mokou or fuck, Flandre.
Flandre's stage has the fewest lives (4), but compensated by easy non-spells (and certain spells).
If you perfect the stage, you end with 6 extra lives, otherwise you end with 5 (it's impossible to get 4 b/c you would game over)

Don't give up! You reached Rose! I didn't achieve that until I had over 150 attempts.
The satisfaction of clearing Koishi is worth it.
What's better, is that she becomes a lot easier after you clear her.

EDIT: oh, and follow Yoslime's advice, they helped me quite a bit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvzZvFLvMgU
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 05:53:06 AM by jsonchiu »

Critz

• Heartwarming ★ Miracle
Blah. Had about 10 more attempts today and finally got to last phase of Rose once. I need a break or I get pissed and keep on losing. Last run was near-perfect and I was one life piece away from having a spare life on it :d.

But the second phase is the easiest.
I still need a bomb to get to the middle. For some reason I`m always stuck on the bottom or die when slipping through without it.

Just out of curiosity, are you experiencing any input lag as you move around and such? Maybe that could affect how you play. If not, then you in fact did not press the bomb button in time. I've been mentioning this in a few places already, but don't completely rely on deathbombs to save you - if something looks too hairy, then bomb before it gets to you. That way you don't have to risk getting hit and not releasing a bomb in time.

As I said, I did decide to use a bomb just before hit and pressed the button the exact moment I heard death sound. I propably missed it by a damn frame. And since you mentioned it, I`m playing with a 1/2 frameskip since my video card is shitty (getting new one soon, can`t even play SWR now), and once in a while I get a very little lag, maybe one or two frames when my HDD is working. It screwed me on Koishi`s hellish reflex-based nonspells once or twice, so I bomb all of them now. Reading-based ones are cake though, maybe except fourth one. The input lag isn`t as bad as in EoSD/PCB without vsync patch anyway, if there is any at all.

You got this backwards. You stay near Koishi for "Release of the Id", but "Super-Ego" is best handled close to the bottom of the screen.

I`m quite good with Id now  :3. On Super-Ego, if I have bombs in stock, I get as close to Koishi as possible and bomb at last second. About 7 seconds of free damage. I dodge when I have no bombs (near the bottom, like Id). Sometimes quite good, but absolutely not worth putting enough faith into it to risk a bomb loss.

I always capture Ancestors, Paranoia and Polygraph, never take too much risk on Rorschach, sometimes fail Embers, have a good bombing route for genetics and can handle Philosophy with 2-3 bombs.

oh, and follow Yoslime's advice, they helped me quite a bit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvzZvFLvMgU

This video is the only reason I even got that far  :V.

I might as well stay on-topic here. You know when you get a shit-ton of good accomplishments in Touhou, but then feel completely burnt out afterward and can't continue with anything else? That's me in a nutshell right now.

Maybe not exactly, but still I could actually 1cc Hard EoSD/PCB/IN now, but instead I`m stuck with that crappy extra stage  >:(

Anyways, I WILL try more later. About 500 stage attempts and 150 Koishi attempts can`t go to waste...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 02:04:44 PM by Critz »

MTSranger

• =.=
I still need a bomb to get to the middle. For some reason I`m always stuck on the bottom or die when slipping through without it.
Who are you playing with?
There is this "leap" of faith that you might have to do if your attack is low power b/c you can't finish before getting trapped near bottom of the screen. I've never successfully done it before without bomb.
Low power includes: non-ReimuA at less than 4 power.

jaxter0987

• Umiiro Shoujo ni Miserarete
  • Umi is love, Umi is life
If I had more than 256M ram, I'd record in fraps or equivalent and crop for your viewing ridicule.

EoSD.  Extra.  Since you're posting in this thread, you probably realize you aren't the bees' knees at this touhou thing, but nevertheless you can make a solid run at Flandre.  And twice in as many hours.  But each time you're faced with the same problem: you have too many lives.  You have no other choice but to...

...make an inexcusable death!

I can upload this bullshit if you want, but it's quite seriously as horrid as it sounds (and uninteresting, up until atwtbn, at which point it's loltastic).  If I hadn't beaten Flandre (FINALLY), the next day, I... well... I would be even more bitter, if that's even imaginable.

Of course I realize I suck at Touhou. Hell, the only ever curtain shooter I ever beat on hard was PoFV, and thats not saying much considering the bombs...

I wasn't uploading it for it to be interesting...I took the name of the thread literally and quite frankly, my entire attempt at any shooter (except PoFV) are inexcusable fails. I just happen to have played EoSD earlier. Nevertheless, I still enjoy Touhou.

And aren't inexcusable deaths fails? Or are they more of a facepalm?

I just failed a MoF Hard 1cc. Serves me right for playing as Reimu C.
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
 :colonveeplusalpha: :colonveeplusalpha: :colonveeplusalpha: :colonveeplusalpha: :colonveeplusalpha:
 :colonveeplusalpha: :colonveeplusalpha: :colonveeplusalpha: :colonveeplusalpha: :colonveeplusalpha:

Spoiler:
ANAX86 DOES HAVE SAVE STATES

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...

Spoiler:
Tell me. Tell me more. Tell me tell me t-t-t-t-t-tell me. 8D
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jpsysjRpjg

In Anex, its not intuitive at all. To Save a state, the game must be running. Then you can press ALT+F1 to save one state. ALT+F1 is one possible save state, but there are 7 more, by replacing "F1" with F2,F3,...F8,F9, with the exception of F4. ALT+F4 is left out because it is a shortcut that closes the current window.
To Load a state in Anex you have the floppies/hdi already in the emulator that you had when you saved the state, but the window NOT RUNNING. The only thing you should see is the first window you see when running the Anex emulator. Then you can press ALT+F1 to load state number one. ALT+F1 is one possible state, but there are 7 more, by replacing "F1" with F2,F3,...F8,F9, with the exception of F4. ALT+F4 is left out because it is a shortcut that closes the current window., and Anex will start up your game from where you save stated it.

oh man oh man oh man  :*

nintendonut888

* Donut goes to test

. . .

:* :* :* :* :* :* :*

And so a new era of challenges begin. :)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 11:33:19 PM by nintendonut888 »
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Is there any reason you aren't using T98 instead  ?

You know

That one emulator where sound emulation is somewhat accurate and save states aren't a hidden feature.

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
IIRC recording is a pain with T98 or something.

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
That and I believe it just plain lags on some computers.

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

Critz

• Heartwarming ★ Miracle
http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=11583

About two seconds and I would...*sniff* *sob*

Also:

In Anex, its not intuitive at all. To Save a state, the game must be running. Then you can press ALT+F1 to save one state. ALT+F1 is one possible save state, but there are 7 more, by replacing "F1" with F2,F3,...F8,F9, with the exception of F4. ALT+F4 is left out because it is a shortcut that closes the current window.
To Load a state in Anex you have the floppies/hdi already in the emulator that you had when you saved the state, but the window NOT RUNNING. The only thing you should see is the first window you see when running the Anex emulator. Then you can press ALT+F1 to load state number one. ALT+F1 is one possible state, but there are 7 more, by replacing "F1" with F2,F3,...F8,F9, with the exception of F4. ALT+F4 is left out because it is a shortcut that closes the current window., and Anex will start up your game from where you save stated it.

*dies*
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 01:19:30 PM by Critz »

nintendonut888

You know

That one emulator where sound emulation is somewhat accurate and save states aren't a hidden feature.

That and I believe it just plain lags on some computers.

I'd rather have smooth gameplay with no slowdown over an overly loud percussion overtaking the main melody. Now that I know savestates are on Anex86, there is no reason to ever use T-98 again...well, other than to play PoDD since Anex86 causes some freaky glitch when it plays it on this computer.

ebarrett

Spoiler:
:o :o :o :o :o

You know

Because it's a laggy piece of crap which needs a NASA computer to run properly?