Author Topic: This is the 9th thread dedicated to the recording of failures at playing Touhou.  (Read 149426 times)

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Re: Touhou Whining Thread, Cirno Edition
« Reply #90 on: October 21, 2010, 04:12:03 PM »
Guys. Don't you think you take things just a tad too seriously? Not to question your judgment or anything. Just curious.
We only take it serious when there is complaints/reports about people acting jerkish and unfunny. Bash/discuss/whine about Touhou or Cave or w/e the hell you want. As long as you don't act like a jerk or unfunny person.

Action > Reaction. Common sense. (Yes even on the internet!)

@ Roukan,

Actually the point of hating / disliking Touhou isn't the issue here. Subjective opinions remain subjective opinions. But Treasurance spouts bullshit words like "This is a fact" and continuing with the same actions. I'd say it is a perfect example of a bad troll/joke attempt on a Touhou forum board. Saying "Cave > Touhou"  would probably give a few giggles and laughter but that is about it.

Srs internet discussions ze.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 04:16:26 PM by Helepolis »

« Reply #91 on: October 21, 2010, 04:19:19 PM »
Eh, I dunno. I think if you're obvious "mission" is to disrupt discussion and annoy people, whether you succeed or not, you're trolling.

I dunno what Banana and Treasurance's "mission" is. I just know that i laughed out loud reading their posts even being a fan of Touhou.

The question that comes to mind is 'if you think CAVE games are better than the Touhou games, isn't that a comment that should go on a CAVE forum and not a Touhou forum?'

Over in PSL we've been nagging at people for posting in stories just to say it's not to their personal tastes. Same should apply here. If you have an opinion about how game X is shit, you probably shouldn't say as much on a forum which revolves around game X. It serves to do nothing beyond troll the people who actually DO like game X, which is why people here are getting so irritated by it.

Good point but usually when i post anyway its not a general critization of the Touhou games. Its usually just directed towards a certain game in the series that i don't like. This is a Touhou board and being a fan of the series in general means that this place would also be ideal for expressing ones opinions about how game X is shit but game Y, G, and H are awesome as they are all Touhou games.

The Cave thing though... it probably don't belong here. Still, people saying that Cave is superior inspired me to try out Cave stuff which in the end only served me well. That might happen to other people.

And. What i have been doing in this thread is express irriation about boring stage portions and used Cave as a frame of reference as to how it could've been done better.

We only take it serious when there is complaints/reports about people acting jerkish and unfunny. Bash/discuss/whine about Touhou or Cave or w/e the hell you want. As long as you don't act like a jerk or unfunny person.

Action > Reaction. Common sense. (Yes even on the internet!)

Has there been such complaints really? Treasurance called his statement fact yes but I just laughed at that. I don't agree with his statement at all. In real life when people spout bullshit i just pay them no attention.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #92 on: October 21, 2010, 04:25:12 PM »
Has there been such complaints really? Treasurance called his statement fact yes but I just laughed at that. I don't agree with his statement at all. In real life when people spout bullshit i just pay them no attention.
You think the moderators appeared out of the blue? Afaik , you also have been probated once, if you remember that. That is like enough explanation now isn't it? I understand your point but Matsuri doesn't warn people out of the blue. Obviously something occurred.

Not going to derail this thread further, my apologies to the rest. Carry on.  . . . or wait, I 'll add something my self:

First pyramid on IN Lunatic, I cannot do this no matter how hard I try to figure out the static pattern movement.  Basically, Keine is making me sad in IN =(  My Reimu solo runs are going bad.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 04:30:45 PM by Helepolis »

Infy♫

• Demonic★Moe
« Reply #93 on: October 21, 2010, 04:30:45 PM »
i was playing a a soku match. the opponent was sitting in the corner spamming bullets. there was nothing i could do. firing suwako's 5C would mean getting hit, moving towards the enemy would mean him using another goddamn unblockable sword attack. ragetiem.

« Reply #94 on: October 21, 2010, 04:49:52 PM »
You think the moderators appeared out of the blue? Afaik , you also have been probated once, if you remember that. That is like enough explanation now isn't it? I understand your point but Matsuri doesn't warn people out of the blue. Obviously something occurred.

I remember that yes. I understand. Mods just do what they have to do. I still don't understand why people would make anything out of something like this but whatever. Without rules things will just turn to chaos.

Well i guess i have no more questions then. Back to raging!  :D

Oh, not sure if you know, but kill one of the familiars on First Pyramid and the card will become easier.

Treasurance

• Now with 100% more Ban'd!
« Reply #95 on: October 21, 2010, 04:56:42 PM »
man, there should be more Cave hentai, those characters have potential. Wait what's this...oh goddammit Reco

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #96 on: October 21, 2010, 05:16:49 PM »
Jesus fucking Christ, I like CAVE as much as the next guy, but you guys don't have to act like twats about it. The shtick really is getting old at this point, and you're making the rest of us look bad. :/
Let's fight.

Drake

« Reply #97 on: October 21, 2010, 05:42:57 PM »
Thank mod, he's gone for now. Really, how big a dumbass does one person have to be.
oh wait i forgot hating touhou and fapping over cave makes you cool now imma go play doj

Last night UFO buttrammed me. Then it buttrammed me again because I obviously didn't have enough the first time.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #98 on: October 21, 2010, 06:09:24 PM »
Currently raging over the description below Treasurance's probation box. Doesn't it pretty much say Cave fan = troll?

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #99 on: October 21, 2010, 06:13:48 PM »
Currently raging over the description below Treasurance's probation box. Doesn't it pretty much say Cave fan = troll?
Given how you guys present yourselves around here it's no goddamn wonder people think that. This is what I mean by giving people a bad name. :/
Let's fight.

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #100 on: October 21, 2010, 06:40:31 PM »
Yes.  Which is pretty accurate if you're going by the posters ITT who are a) Cave fans, b) actually mentioning Cave either here or in the accomplishments thread, and c) your name isn't Sapz or Jaimers.

I think I hit the right bases there.
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

ebarrett

« Reply #101 on: October 21, 2010, 07:00:03 PM »

Currently wondering about the general obnoxiousness some people have been displaying for a few months now. Doesn't it pretty much say "troll"?

« Reply #102 on: October 21, 2010, 07:06:31 PM »
b) actually mentioning Cave either here or in the accomplishments thread

What? You are a troll because you mention Cave?

Currently wondering about the general obnoxiousness some people have been displaying for a few months now. Doesn't it pretty much say "troll"?

i don't know what you're talking about.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #103 on: October 21, 2010, 07:41:48 PM »
Treasurance only has himself and this post to thank for that fun little title.

If you have issue with it, take it up with him.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #104 on: October 21, 2010, 08:24:30 PM »
I dunno what Banana and Treasurance's "mission" is. I just know that i laughed out loud reading their posts even being a fan of Touhou.

I'm only responding to this because I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that you're not a complete idiot.

In a nutshell, if your post in a thread is there to pretty much blow a loud fart at the party, you're trolling. Their posts are quite transparently made to create disruption and incite annoyance or hostility. That's trolling.

I'm frankly a little suspicious of your wide-eyed "gee golly guys what's the problem" feigning of innocence. I don't really know you or your posting history, but I think you ought to drop the act. You and everyone else on this forum is fully aware of what "trolling" entails. Don't do it or encourage it.

And for the record, there are Rules and Guidelines (right there on the front page, go read them some time) and moderators do not appear at a whim - you see that link on the post that says "Report to moderator"? Yeah. At least one person clicked that and filed a report about posts in this thread. That's a reflection of community response.

PS: The "Cirno Edition" here is especially fitting, seeing how I can't seem to advance past the 3-on-1 fairy sandwich of love in GFW.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #105 on: October 21, 2010, 08:36:00 PM »
Treasurance only has himself and this post to thank for that fun little title.

If you have issue with it, take it up with him.
I thought that post of his was sarcasm.

What? You are a troll because you mention Cave?
Any members fitting the criteria I mentioned frequently engage in what I consider to be trolling.  That is primarily you and Bananamatic because the two of you do it enough that when I see Cave mentioned anywhere on MoTK I immediately think of you two instead of something like Hibachi :3

And even though this thread has "Touhou Whining" in its title, I'm pretty sure the intent of this thread is to serve as a place for members to post their failings in Touhou.  Game overs, sudden bouts of epic fail, and :derps: that ruined what would have been a pretty amazing run (Baity getting a miss on Sunny's last spellcard on his GFW B2 1cc left a mark on what I thought was a beautiful B2-1 clear) should go here.

And even when Cave isn't being mentioned, I still see excessive bitching in the Accomplishments thread.  "Did I do terrible at something?  Blame it on the game design!  Claim it requires memorization even if you don't have to memorize it!"

And this evidently counts as clip-death to some people:

Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #106 on: October 21, 2010, 09:43:17 PM »
I thought that post of his was sarcasm.

You're one of the very few. The overwhelming majority of people I've talked to, staff and non-staff alike (so basically everyone except you, Zengeku, Banana and Treasure himself), thought he was trolling.

The "right" to have fun here in a dick-around fashion only extends as far as the rest of the userbase is willing to tolerate it, and no one thought this was funny.

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Drake

« Reply #107 on: October 21, 2010, 10:08:29 PM »
Okay I'm sorry don't hurt me ;_;
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 10:41:05 PM by Drake »

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #108 on: October 21, 2010, 10:18:13 PM »
Don't push it.

Formless God

« Reply #109 on: October 22, 2010, 12:33:51 AM »
If you play UFO or GFW then you flail around randomly hoping not to get hit. And memorize a ton of crap.
ufo is impossible to clear without memorization hurr durr
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 03:56:27 AM by Formless Fluffy Wingz »

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #110 on: October 22, 2010, 02:51:54 AM »
Definitely a whole lotta late on this, but Ran's spellcards are either ho-hum or MADE OF HATRED.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Paper Conan

• Productivity, all day 'erry day
  • NOPE, just kidding~
« Reply #111 on: October 22, 2010, 04:06:11 AM »
Definitely a whole lotta late on this, but Ran's spellcards are either ho-hum or MADE OF HATRED.

I find Yukari's cards to be easier.  :3

Drake

« Reply #112 on: October 22, 2010, 04:29:39 AM »
Ran:
  • Charming Siege
  • Unilateral Contact

Yukari:
  • Curse of Dreams and Reality
  • Mesh of Light and Darkness

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #113 on: October 22, 2010, 09:15:16 AM »
Why can't I have nice things? ;_;

Y'know why I can't 1CC PCB Normal? It's because of Yuyuko, and her alone.

I tried 1CCing Easy.

4 deaths on the stage portion before her.
Start the boss battle with 2 lives.

Game over on Repository Blah BLAH FREAKING BLAH

On the bright side I now have 55 spells captured.  :toot:

« Reply #114 on: October 22, 2010, 09:17:47 AM »
ufo is impossible to clear without memorization hurr durr

Yeah so? You can resource spam yourself through PCB and MoF too. But when i play UFO, the ufos only arrange themselves in manners that gives rainbow UFO's where everyone else collects Red ufos'. I hate losing lives to a Stage 3 boss who's tougher than any boss in MoF (not in a fun way naturally). And a Stage 2 boss whose first spellcard is utter bullshit. Or how about a Stage 5 boss that uses lasers? And that's my favorite boss in that game? Ouch. And then a final boss that i cannot do well at unless i get lucky. And she isn't fun to me. Just annoying because of all deaths feeling cheap.

If i'm to get good at this game it will take much more memorization and dedication than i've given it.

Tengukami

« Reply #115 on: October 22, 2010, 10:13:00 AM »
I'm frankly baffled by the entire "waaaah UFO makes me memorize boohoo" deal. I've tried a number of different routes in UFO. Some routes are more successful than others. Some routes, while different from each other, produce equal amounts of success. Sometimes other mitigating circumstances (mood, background noise, caffeine levels, etc.) contribute to my playing ability. Just like any other shmup. I honestly believe the bitching about memorization and UFO is just a meaningless meme at this point.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #116 on: October 22, 2010, 10:26:23 AM »
It's pretty much just an excuse so people don't have to say 'holy shit this game is really hard, I have to practice it a lot to be good at it'. It is damn hard, but it's one of the least memo-heavy games in the series for sure, maybe tied with EoSD. In exchange for the UFO chasing you have a huge amount of fuck-up room, so even if your route isn't optimal you can still clear it if you're putting in the effort.
Let's fight.

« Reply #117 on: October 22, 2010, 12:18:50 PM »
An excuse? Maybe so. But i still think there is some sense of memorization. How can one go from semi-consistent capture rate on PWG to getting destroyed by King Kraken Strike?

Maybe because one hasn't put in a crapload of time to understand the spellcard. Yes, it is indeed harder than the rest of the series. There is other things that are hard too. UFO just manages to be hard in a bad way while a lot of stuff, Cave for example, manages to be hard in a good way.

I would love to practice the UFO bosses and get better at them but unfortunatly the stages are, except stage 4, turbo boring. The process of practicing UFO goes like this:

Go through boring stage that takes three minutes. FIght a boss. Get destroyed. Repeat until the boss doesn't destroy you any longer. About the fourth time i pass through that stage i begin to tear out hairs.

I rarely play against Orin either because the stage is too long and too dragged out because of that amount of padding material its stuffed with outside of the actual dodging segments.

Its not just UFO. Its Touhou stages in general. The only reason i bitch about UFO is because its only UFO that's even slightly difficult to beat.

Tengukami

« Reply #118 on: October 22, 2010, 12:38:03 PM »
Go through boring stage that takes three minutes. FIght a boss. Get destroyed. Repeat until the boss doesn't destroy you any longer. About the fourth time i pass through that stage i begin to tear out hairs.

Have you tried - I don't know - saving replays of failures and studying them? Replays aren't just for bragging rights, you know. All your complaints about UFO seem to boil down to "I'm too lazy to examine what I might have done wrong, therefore the game is flawed." Also:

UFO just manages to be hard in a bad way while a lot of stuff, Cave for example, manages to be hard in a good way.

Lawl.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #119 on: October 22, 2010, 12:43:34 PM »
You know what, I'm fucking sick of it.  No more of this touhou vs cave vs whatever bullshit.  They are both STBs, they are both very different games.  They both have their strengths and weaknesses.  Noone gives a shit which one you think is better.

Next person to try to argue which is better gets BANNED.  It's just like retarded console fanboyism.  Noone cares if you think the xbawks is better than the pee ess troi.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 12:45:29 PM by ♪ Baneling-chan ♫ »

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."