Author Topic: MotK Psycho Plot Mafia ~ Game Over, Town Win  (Read 48963 times)

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
Re: MotK Psycho Plot Mafia ~ Game Over, Town Win
« Reply #540 on: October 26, 2010, 01:56:47 AM »
Nobu: I tried to point them out as I went along. The "Purvis is scummy because he's never been suspected!" to open the day (complete with quickvote) made me щ(゚Д゚щ)  so hard I sprained both wrists. And then there were several instances where it looked like you were just slinging mud at people and things in an attempt to bully suspicion on them instead of actually trying to hunt for what was scummy.

Calling me scummy for avoiding claiming while you had spent so long avoiding claiming wasn't cool either. :<

Haha, sorry. I really was paranoid that I'd be batted or shot as soon as the day started, and I had thoroughly convinced myself that you were the last scum. I figured that even if I got killed right away, throwing a vote on you would at least get people to give you a better look and come to the same conclusion I did. It wasn't so much the "You're scummy for never being suspected!" as it was "Does Purvis really have a good reason for never having been suspected?"

In the middle of my big explanatory post to explain why I thought you were scum, I hit a major incongruency when I was explaining why Mode was likely town. That's when I needed the roleclaims to get my information straight. :< By the time I was asking you specifically for roleclaim, I didn't feel very good about my scumread on you at that point.
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #541 on: October 26, 2010, 01:59:50 AM »
Also these comics in the graveyard qt are the best thing ever oh god Bard I love you

Polly and Baity did. But you told them, apparently :P

I never told either of them. :< ONCE I slipped up and posted on my real account, but I deleted it immediately afterwards. But for anyone keeping notifications on this topic, they still get the "A new reply has been posted by Nobu" bit.

I was pretty sure that !Kilga was Bard by the end of D1, but I didn't guess !Purvis's identity until the last day. I had no clue about the rest of you guys though. And like everyone else, I thought !Alice was actually Alice too.

Bardiche

• Mafia: Worst Game Ever
« Reply #542 on: October 26, 2010, 02:00:45 AM »
How was it so obvious? I tried my hardest to post less as myself and more as a badass scumcatching martyr of the second night!

Kiro

• Drinks: Everything
  • Sleeps: Anywhere
« Reply #543 on: October 26, 2010, 02:11:18 AM »
Rage time: In a 13 player game, along with the standard 3 scum, you had three 3rd parties (Eve, Slaves, and a hidden 14th player in the mod), and a pseudo 4th one in Sana's role. And you also had me with the Magical Tree Stump that would also remove a Townie from a game if used. Couple that along with me knowing something was odd with Drake in Day 2 (I just "knew" he was lurking considering his Day 1 activity, but never suspected he was possessed) and is there any wonder I was raging mad at the end of Day 2 flip. I'm sure you didn't run through enough experimental playthroughs of the modified setup and as we can now see, Town literally had to be perfect to win. And we got lucky as I said in the QT with the deadline switch to possessed Drake being pushed by scumTrance instead of him just jumping on to the Donut wagon after scumMode.

Not an overall happy feeling for me being wrong on Sana and then being wrong on Donut in Day 2. I was very confident in the Donut case, but I wanted to see more reactions/votes for or against it and when only Purvis went along with me, it boggled my mind. I knew there was a chance I could be wrong, but with nobody else committing to anything other than lynch the lurkers instead, it felt like I tunneled myself onto the Donut case until it was too late to change to someone else since I was the initiator of the case. I think I'm going to have to balance that in future games between less tunneling on a person with the cost of looking less Townie by stepping away from a case I started so heartily.

As for all my wacky posts, I was just going by the Maniacal Princess persona. It was admittedly real fun; I should do it again.  :D I was going to sing a COPS theme song on Day 3 with my night action clearing Donut, and I was sad when it turned out I died and also didn't kill anybody with my bomb.

I felt Drake/Nobu did great for the calm explanation of his being possessed in Day 3 and using his Night actions to definitively finger Scum. And his activity on Day 4 to try to secure the Mode lynch and going back and forth with Donut was good. The early part of Day 4 as Kilgamayan just mentioned was a little shocking, but you managed to not tunnel too long on that. He's my MVP.

I guessed Alice as Alice and guessed Kilga as Zakeri. Was off there. Only got Purvis right.

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #544 on: October 26, 2010, 02:18:49 AM »
How was it so obvious? I tried my hardest to post less as myself and more as a badass scumcatching martyr of the second night!

I've only ever played in two other games, and in both of those games you played a prominent role as a Good Townie (especially the first one). I guess you can say you made an impression on me. :V If there were some kind of Mafia grammies, I'd credit you as my biggest influence. 

« Reply #545 on: October 26, 2010, 02:22:42 AM »
I never told either of them. :<

Quote from: #ijiyatsu
<Baitums>   hay nobu
<Nobu>   Baaaaitums
<Baitums>   you sure you want to be implying that you're in the next game?  :3
<Nobu>   Huh? o_o
<Baitums>   this channel is so lonely  ;_;
<Nobu>   Next game of Mafia, or what?
<Baitums>   ya
<Nobu>   Eh, I don't think it's that big of a deal. :v
<Baitums>   :A
<Nobu>   Besides, would you really have to think very hard about who would have picked Drake? :P
<Baitums>   :V
<Nobu>   Honestly, half tempted to switch to Slaves so I could randomly draw stuff to post in threads, hehe
<Baitums>   oh man

(I was lurking)

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #546 on: October 26, 2010, 02:23:53 AM »
OH YEAH I forgot about that. :o

Bardiche

« Reply #547 on: October 26, 2010, 02:36:10 AM »
I've only ever played in two other games, and in both of those games you played a prominent role as a Good Townie (especially the first one). I guess you can say you made an impression on me. :V If there were some kind of Mafia grammies, I'd credit you as my biggest influence.

:ohdear: Performance anxiety incoming.

Uh, I guess I'm flattered. I don't do well with compliments I'll admit, I tend to get embarassed. Maybe I don't have confidence appropriate for receiving them?

This does mean the next Anongame means I should relegate myself to a background position to elude the eyes of people...!

It's actually funny. The other place I play at I usually end up playing Roukanken-level, in that no one quite understands how I draw my conclusions and no one quite seems to see my way. I'll admit I feel my play's better when I play Anonymous anyway. I get too caught up in trying to be Not Like Me that I tend to do all the things I normally do wrong well... not wrong.

I think I only sent in two or three guesses and ended up being wrong on all of them, though. Need to familiarise myself with the MotK nicknames.

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #548 on: October 26, 2010, 02:51:54 AM »
I also like AnonyMafia setups. I don't have to worry about people judging me for being new, and I can look at people more objectively without being intimidated or influenced by who they are.

« Reply #549 on: October 26, 2010, 02:55:58 AM »
I like Anonymafia setups because roleplaying during the earlygame is fun. Hooray for me having shallow tastes!

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #550 on: October 26, 2010, 03:01:53 AM »
I'm really sad that I didn't think about posting in Danmakufu code until the last day.

...then again, missing deadlines is also a Drake characteristic too :3

Kick Hopper

• Kick Hopper
« Reply #551 on: October 26, 2010, 03:38:10 AM »
I am ready for another game. Guess I should make an account here, huh?

« Reply #552 on: October 26, 2010, 03:38:56 AM »
I am ready for another game. Guess I should make an account here, huh?
Don't you need 10 posts before you can view RPG? Idr :s

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #553 on: October 26, 2010, 03:39:27 AM »
You do.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Affinity

• hoho
  • ... but I have promises to keep.
« Reply #554 on: October 26, 2010, 04:27:57 AM »
Ungratz to Affinityslabes for getting everyone other then himself wrong! But we still love you anyway.

Awesome.  Really, I felt that everyone was so new.  I didn't even know that u-mu or Kiro came back.

Generally, I planned to win by ModeSlaves combination from the start due to me never ever having played the role before.  Thus, I deliberately didn't post that much during the early days and sought to play as a survivor would; scummy enough for scum not to NK me and townie enough so that I won't get lynched (e.g thin numbers by lynching Val, which I wouldn't do as town).  Nailing scum wasn't my priority, but I guess that I nailed Trance, somehow.  Of course, this was all because I believed that Mode was town until the very end.

An interesting tidbit is that if Mode was around when Valentia L-2'ed Purvis, we would have won.

The thing I did not like about this game is that its end was more like a Rubik's Cube than Mafia; was inclined to play the setup instead of the game because i wanted to win via ModeSlaves.  I'm quite riddled as to why Mode didn't try helping out with my Valentia  case, which I think made a little sense, but oh well, what's done is done.  I would have voted Mode if I was a vanilla townie though, and people like Drake and Purvis were definitely on the right track at the end of the day.  Was pretty much resigned to losing two days ago.  Donut gave me a hope spot, however; u-mu's play tends to gravitate between two extremes.

All the townies in this game except Valentia played  very very well and sensibly, and I suppose scum had a chance of winning only because of the setup, which was unbalanced with around 4-5 alignments (two of them mod-aligned), overly reliant on role speculation, and more of a very interesting logic puzzle than anything else (props to Captain Planet and the general effort behind it though).  You should have removed the lovers role at the very least, as well as Eve.  But yay, interesting. 

« Reply #555 on: October 26, 2010, 04:31:07 AM »
An interesting tidbit is that if Mode was around when Valentia L-2'ed Purvis, we would have won.
Drake had sketch'd Purvis' gov shot, so quicklynching wouldn't have worked.

« Reply #556 on: October 26, 2010, 04:33:51 AM »
All the townies in this game except Valentia played  very very well and sensibly,

Hahaha no, I was terrible. Mostly because I was convinced Pesco was town for some reason and that changed my judgement or something.

But I think I'll keep playing Mafia though, in the hopes that I'll eventually improve... right? :V

Furienify

• Yeehaw!
  • Equestrian Fansubber
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #557 on: October 26, 2010, 05:37:00 AM »
Welp. That was fun, too bad it ended while I was asleep.

Honestly, my only option by D4 was to go all-out and lie my ass off to implicate someone else as hard as possible. If I had thought it out more and made a follow-up post of similar magnitude to Valentia (pointing out she could have investigated earlier, etc) there might have been a chance, but as soon as I saw people on the fence and staring at me it was pretty much over. I found it funny that only two days prior I was considering letting Slaves get pressured to claim as Mason, with my backing him up, and then killing him so he can be flip-confirmed- and, by proxy, myself. Assuming nobody brought up the Scum/Town possibility. Sorry bro. >_>

Also, ugh, I hate playing scum. So much tension. I invariably implicate myself on Day 1, too, without fail. At least this time I didn't have to go through with NoobTown as my label like I did in that last disaster mafia. Anonymafia format helped with the comfort, really; nobody knows who I am until the very end, and the game stayed free of angst and rage through and through. It was clean and it was definitely fun. I felt like throwing myself on a sword and getting the game over with during day 2/3 because of how much the scum team was stumbling. I had to soldier on while there was at least a chance, though.

It would have been a damn glorious win if it was ModeSlaves victory, but it just wasn't meant to be. :<

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #558 on: October 26, 2010, 06:27:56 AM »
I thought umu was UK because of the quoting style :V

I think most of the haterage with Neo has been mentioned already. As I had said in the signups, this theme was going to be a wreck. On my flip, it was already possible to guess that flavour and alignments were tied somehow. You definitely didn't think through how the actions and roles would interact. Personally, I'm glad I didn't have the time to play in this one because of how much inconsistency there was. End of the stroy, organize your shit completely and don't do it on the fly.

Serp

• It's all about overwhelming force and irresistible style
  • And in a pinch, style can slide
« Reply #559 on: October 26, 2010, 07:00:26 AM »
Ah, that was an entertaining read.  Definitely one for the MotK history books.  I lol'd too many times to count, reading through the thread and the quicktopics.  Still...  I'm really glad I didn't sign up. :P  You've got the creativity, Neo, so I can only wish you good luck in making a setup that's fair as well next time.
[15:13] <Sana> >:<

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #560 on: October 26, 2010, 08:13:50 AM »
Is it just me or does role madness tend to favor town a bit? There's more actual facts to examine through claims and whatnot, making town less reliant on speculation about player behavior.

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #561 on: October 26, 2010, 10:45:19 AM »
I thought u? was UK because of the quoting style :V
I thought I was old-style you for being psychotic as Town, lynchbait, and overall right :V
But I hate the quotes here, 4srs.

The next time I play here I should join the ?nesco hydra :P

@Stuffman:  Town usually doesn't win role madness unless all the scum roles kill each other or the Town has a few broken roles up its sleeve, I think.

Anonymafia format helped with the comfort, really; nobody knows who I am until the very end, and the game stayed free of angst and rage through and through. It was clean and it was definitely fun.
Well, at least nothing personal anyway.  But there was angst and rage. :P

I don't know if anonyformat helped me or not.  Only a few people remember when I played here before.

« Reply #562 on: October 26, 2010, 01:31:55 PM »
I thought I was old-style you for being psychotic as Town, lynchbait, and overall right :V
But I hate the quotes here, 4srs.

Nope. That's UK's thing now. Pesco's thing now is that he insults everyone whenever he thinks they're wrong, but doesn't explain why they are wrong.

...Wait, that still sounds like UK. :V

Something about town benefiting from rolemadness
It depends on the game. Role Madness games are almost impossible to balance properly from a mod-standpoint. Unless the mod has had a lot of experience, you tend to get things like a townie with the power to skip the nightphase (I'm still surprized town lost that game.) or games where you can have a perfect town victory, and still have it end in Pseudo-Lylo (I'm surprized town won this game.)

It that respect, I turn a sympathetic eye towards the NeoSerela was thinking behind this game. What I strongly suggest to him, is to take a look back at everything that's happened this game, and comparing it to what running a normal, C9 or roleless game of mafia would feel like. Keep in mind, balance isn't just about having enough townies to give town a decent amount of mislynches. Once you get the hang of what a balanced game feels like versus what a game you want to have all sorts of crazy fun with feels like, then you should rewrite all of the roles in your next MOTK psycho plot game, and even remove a few if you think some won't work out.

Serp

• It's all about overwhelming force and irresistible style
  • And in a pinch, style can slide
« Reply #563 on: October 26, 2010, 06:04:25 PM »
Is it just me or does role madness tend to favor town a bit? There's more actual facts to examine through claims and whatnot, making town less reliant on speculation about player behavior.

This is why I think it's important in such games for the mod to either give scum solid fakeclaims that they can be planning for from the start, or else just give scum powers that are indistinguishable from townie ones.
[15:13] <Sana> >:<

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #564 on: October 26, 2010, 06:41:28 PM »
Which was the goal of MSR (or at least the Scum Playercop role, and the Swiss Army Knife to a lesser degree).

I think it's more that Anonymous here tends to favor town, because suddenly people aren't getting passes that they otherwise would, or people are being listened to more when they otherwise wouldn't be.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 06:56:07 PM by Kilgamaya[N] »
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #565 on: October 26, 2010, 06:54:06 PM »
Also, where else but an Anonymous game will you find Kilga living past the first day? :V

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #566 on: October 26, 2010, 07:01:11 PM »
Also, where else but an Anonymous game will you find Kilga living past the first day? :V
Yet, Zakeri still died night 1 :V
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Bardiche

« Reply #567 on: October 26, 2010, 07:06:54 PM »
"Kilga" still died during D2, so he never made it to N2. :(

FFMaster

• worst mafia player ever
    • FFH
« Reply #568 on: October 27, 2010, 04:44:46 AM »
Finally, I can post.

I AM THE WORST PLAYER EVER!

Kiro

• Drinks: Everything
  • Sleeps: Anywhere
« Reply #569 on: October 27, 2010, 04:48:26 AM »
Finally, I can post.

I AM THE WORST PLAYER EVER!

Are you declaring yourself /in for the upcoming Vanilla game?

EDIT: Oops, I thought this was the general signup thread. Well, if you want to /in for the new game, post there. :P