Author Topic: [ROGUE] Okay let's play some NetHack (and DCSS!) (and Angband!) (and Slash'em!)  (Read 170950 times)

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Nethack
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2010, 08:41:07 PM »
Ah, good to know!

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Matsuri

Re: Okay let's play some NetHack
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2010, 09:08:03 PM »

Arashi watched me die that round :P

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2010, 09:11:12 PM »

Arashi watched me die that round :P

Go team a! o/

Matsuri

« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2010, 09:12:21 PM »
Who would have thought an ant could be so vicious :<

Tengukami

« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2010, 09:12:55 PM »
I seem to die most often to sewer rats.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Myschi

• cawcawcawcaw
    • The Grass Feels Like Pants
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2010, 10:03:47 PM »
First character: Escaped at level one because I thought stairs didn't lead out. >>

Second: Caught in own magical blast.

Third: Dwarf digging pick'd to death.

Also, how d'ya use the altars/etc? Is there any general 'do an action with this thing' key?

Tengukami

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2010, 10:05:32 PM »
You can Offer at the altars, if you have something to sacrifice. I haven't done that yet.

Matsuri

« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2010, 10:07:15 PM »
Altars are generally used for offering corpses for sacrifices to your god. To do that, make sure you have a corpse (the fresher the better), stand on the altar, and type #offer, then the corpse's letter. Of course, it's better to make sure the altar has the same alignment as you, or else bad things could happen. (Use / to identify stuff.)

Of course, the wiki can provide a lot more info than I can.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 11:59:07 PM by Edible »

« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2010, 10:10:21 PM »
Also you can use altars to identify if stuff if blessed or cursed (or neither), regardless of its alignment. Just drop stuff on it and it'll flash... I wanna say it's amber for blessed, black for cursed (and I know it's no flash for just plain old uncursed)? Either way, it'll add the BUC status to the item's listing for sure, whether I got the colors right or not. :V

Matsuri

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2010, 10:11:40 PM »
!!

wtf I didn't know that

Thanks, Arashi <3

Tengukami

« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2010, 10:14:42 PM »
Yeah, knowing both of those factoids should help me tremendously.

« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2010, 12:55:22 AM »
If you offer on an altar that isn't your alignment, there is a slight chance that it'll be converted to your alignment (but also a chance that bad stuff will happen).

Also, don't offer the corpse of your pet or corpses of your species unless you're an orc/Cave(wo)man, because that pisses the gods off. A lot.

« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2010, 01:05:28 AM »
I think I'm inclined to call this one of my more amusing deaths.

"Killed by a monkey while frozen by a potion."

Even more so because it was my own damn fault. :colonveeplusalpha:

Tengukami

« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2010, 04:30:14 AM »
I went from finally breaking through dungeon level 5 in one game before touching poison needles in one game, to dying in my very first move in another - slipping off the saddle while trying to get on the pony. Oddly addictive little game in its unpredictability, so the basic keyboard commands are second nature to me after a day of trying this.

« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2010, 07:00:32 AM »
Well, at least I went out with a bang. I'll just make sure to pointlessly waste a blessed scroll of genocide on those rats when I get the chance

Myschi

• cawcawcawcaw
    • The Grass Feels Like Pants
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2010, 05:00:50 PM »
dying in my very first move in another - slipping off the saddle while trying to get on the pony.

... Wow. Remind me to stay away from horses. :ohdear:

« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2010, 07:12:20 PM »
Praying seems to be a double-edged sword in this game. I had poisoned myself from eating an iguana corpse, since I had no other food at the time, so I had to pray in the hopes that it would cure the poison. It got cured, but Thoth apparently thought it would be funny to surround me with killer bees at the same time.

Yeesh.

« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2010, 08:11:44 PM »
So, I found this unidentified amulet on the first few floors and put it on, then whacked a Acid blob to death with it. Afterwords, I get attacked by a bee, die, and then come back to life minus one amulet. Turns out it was a amulet of life saving. I died again less than 5 turns later.

:fail:

Matsuri

« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2010, 08:29:52 PM »
Praying seems to be a double-edged sword in this game. I had poisoned myself from eating an iguana corpse, since I had no other food at the time, so I had to pray in the hopes that it would cure the poison. It got cured, but Thoth apparently thought it would be funny to surround me with killer bees at the same time.

Yeesh.

Gods do have a sense of humor, I suppose. :P

So, I found this unidentified amulet on the first few floors and put it on, then whacked a Acid blob to death with it. Afterwords, I get attacked by a bee, die, and then come back to life minus one amulet. Turns out it was a amulet of life saving. I died again less than 5 turns later.

:fail:

At least it wasn't a cursed amulet of strangulation o/

Tengukami

« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2010, 09:36:20 PM »
Playing as a monk pretty much as a joke - which of course starts you out with no weapons, poor armor, and basic magic - I stumble upon an amulet. I put it on. I find a scroll, and genocide all sewer rats. Later, this smart-ass shopkeeper decides to throw a sleep ray at me, but it was no effect, thanks to the amulet. So I killed him, and now have a trove of magic gear and about 2000 gold. And this is just dlvl 2.

« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2010, 09:37:09 PM »
Playing as a monk pretty much as a joke - which of course starts you out with no weapons, poor armor, and basic magic - I stumble upon an amulet. I put it on. I find a scroll, and genocide all sewer rats. Later, this smart-ass shopkeeper decides to throw a sleep ray at me, but it was no effect, thanks to the amulet. So I killed him, and now have a trove of magic gear and about 2000 gold. And this is just dlvl 2.

Lucky~

Tengukami

« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2010, 09:39:33 PM »
Oh, I'm sure I'll end up in a bear trap and get killed by newts or something.

« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2010, 09:40:36 PM »
Yeah, probably. But in the meantime, lucky~

Tengukami

« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2010, 10:04:25 PM »
Welp.

First time using an exclusively magical arsenal, too. A short but happy life.

« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2010, 04:58:14 PM »
Oh cool, I haven't played Nethack for a while. I actually could play this somewhat successfully some years ago. I think I made it to the hell-levels (Gehenna?) a couple of times but I was never well enough equipped to survive there for long.

*Random run*

Ok, I forgot to check what altar I was sacrificing on and it wasn't my god's. He got angry and sent some goddamn demon to kill me. I need to try this again.

There are tons of little useful things to learn in this game to improve your chances a bit. For example, dipping a long sword into a fountain will sometimes give you the Excalibur (or more often the sword will just rust).
"First of all, for those who've cleared the game, please try playing for more points." - ZUN

Matsuri

« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2010, 02:29:30 PM »
For your amusement: I'm demonstrating how NAO works to a friend, and I spend a quick round goofing off, stealing from stores, and escaping the dungeon before the Keystone Cops get me. :3

Also, if you all aren't playing on nethack.alt.org already, you should be. It saves all of your game information, including replays that can be watched anytime, and you can watch people as they play. :P

« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2010, 02:38:58 PM »
Also, if you all aren't playing on nethack.alt.org already, you should be. It saves all of your game information, including replays that can be watched anytime, and you can watch people as they play. :P
Fact: the most common cause of deaths on Nethack online is the soldier ant. GO TEAM ANT

« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2010, 03:45:19 PM »
Yeah, the ants are way more evil than they appear. Never underestimate them.

Also, I just played another round and remembered another common cause of death: melee attacking Floating Eyes. And I was doing so well too, got to the bottom of Gnomish Mines.
"First of all, for those who've cleared the game, please try playing for more points." - ZUN

Matsuri

« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2010, 03:55:12 PM »
Yeah, zap those or throw stuff at them. Then eat their corpses for telepathy. :3

« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2010, 07:50:20 PM »
For your amusement: I'm demonstrating how NAO works to a friend, and I spend a quick round goofing off, stealing from stores, and escaping the dungeon before the Keystone Cops get me. :3

This was hilarious. Though I ended up downloading termrec and saving the replay to watch locally because it turns out the web player is slow as fuck.

I know I've said that one of us should make a quick guide to using NAO. But I also know we're both super-lazy. :V