Author Topic: Alien Swarm. Free game on Steam.  (Read 30957 times)

Observer

• Light Bearer
  • Arcanum Infinitum
    • Primum Mobile ~ Doujin Circle
Re: Alien Swarm. Free game on Steam.
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2010, 03:45:50 PM »
CUSTOM MUZZAK
Fuck yes, free PC gaming you rock!!! :V

Even in your Alien Swarm, Touhoulized! But, wait, that music, will everyone need to download the file or it's just my custom music no one else will complain about?

This is a blast to the past, to those days where I would set up entire playlists on UT2k4 and fire away until midnight (early days of Univ). Now, as a working man I'm lucky I get 1 hour or 2 per day to play something...

Tried the first two missions and liked it. It also looks like the game is open for mods and free stuff, which is even more amazing. Pew pew all over.

So, I can't seem to enter the official Valve servers, probably 'cause they are crashing and burning in lag so I made my own. Will make a new one later (today is one of my few remaining day's off) but I'm a bit worried about lag, I'll see if I can disable my router (a crappy router really...) to play safely.

RE-BORN INDISCRIMINATE INSTINCT

Bananamatic

« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2010, 04:05:13 PM »
touhou? come on :V

Observer

• Light Bearer
  • Arcanum Infinitum
    • Primum Mobile ~ Doujin Circle
« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2010, 05:18:32 PM »
So, how about we put that MoTK steam group in good use and organise an Alien Swarm event or something? For the greater good!  :derp:

RE-BORN INDISCRIMINATE INSTINCT

« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2010, 05:22:00 PM »
TF2's mat_picmip range: 2 to -1
Alien Swarm's mat_picmip range: 4 to -10

Valve I hate you so much right now.

Gc

• youtu.be/pRZpjlrKM8A
« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2010, 09:31:16 PM »
I made a low graphics config in an attempt to get a better fps. It worked, but had an... unintended side effect. I get fullbright. :V :V :V

Also, great game, "Border of Life" attack theme, and so far I only got up to Residential SynTek on Hard with a few friends. Normal fully cleared.

« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2010, 09:41:19 PM »
Also, great game, "Border of Life" attack theme
Great minds think alike. :V

Other themes include varied boss themes from Touhou Labyrinth.  Final boss theme is <3

Bananamatic

« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2010, 09:44:20 PM »
Nuke escape.
1 person goes on the phone, another lags out
me and another one try to make it

I get that stupid freeze and get swarmed in 3 seconds, the other dude gets a parasite
 :V

« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2010, 10:56:33 PM »
Nuke escape.
1 person goes on the phone, another lags out
me and another one try to make it

I get that stupid freeze and get swarmed in 3 seconds, the other dude gets a parasite
 :V
Blink pack or assault boots.  Solo it.   :V :V :V

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2010, 11:13:47 PM »
I can't play this game, it seems that I keep running out of ammo too quickly, do you guys play offline mode, I tried that so when I go online I don't embarrass  myself.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

Bananamatic

« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2010, 11:29:31 PM »
I can't play this game, it seems that I keep running out of ammo too quickly, do you guys play offline mode, I tried that so when I go online I don't embarrass  myself.
Don't reload too soon(you lose the previous clip)
Don't shoot everything yourself(real life teammates will shoot more than AI I guess)

yeah, ammo is important unlike most other shooters

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2010, 11:34:10 PM »
I really hate it when people think the fire extinguisher is a weapon, especially when I'm using the flamethrower

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2010, 11:44:55 PM »
After playing offline practice two times, once as commander and once as HWG, and getting a loose grasp one the game, I played one online game. As the team didn't have a medic, I chose that for my class.

People kept senselessly pushing forward even though teammates were injured. When I dropped health packs, people often simply ignored it. Two people decided that going solo was the way to go and got killed. Then people started to become "infected". Not having faced this situation before, much less as medic, the game showing me a "left click" notification over the respective team mate told me that I should left click on him, which did nothing, even after changing weapons back and forth (don't shoot squad members lol!), then told to me press "Q", which did likewise did nothing, until eventually I just thought "screw it" and threw a kit on the ground, which did the trick. After he recovered, he stormed forward and was killed, promptly followed by me getting killed.

Game over.

Bottom line after the first online game:
Very limited resources and tolerance for mistakes plus a strong reliance on teamwork is bad for pub gaming, especially if you have little experience.

Maybe in coop with steam colleagues of whom you know they aren't Leeroy Jenkins...
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2010, 11:46:03 PM »
Blink pack or assault boots.  Solo it.   :V :V :V
What does the blink pack do, anyway?  Done that mission so many times and nobody's ever bothered grabbing it.

On the other hand, I'm always the only one to grab the boots and everyone's like "oh god where the hell did you get those" BV

« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2010, 11:47:18 PM »
After playing offline practice two times, once as commander and once as HWG, and getting a loose grasp one the game, I played one online game. As the team didn't have a medic, I chose that for my class.

People kept senselessly pushing forward even though teammates were injured. When I dropped health packs, people often simply ignored it. Two people decided that going solo was the way to go and got killed. Then people started to become "infected". Not having faced this situation before, much less as medic, the game showing me a "left click" notification over the respective team mate told me that I should left click on him, which did nothing, even after changing weapons back and forth (don't shoot squad members Ha ha, old chap!!), then told to me press "Q", which did likewise did nothing, until eventually I just thought "screw it" and threw a kit on the ground, which did the trick. After he recovered, he stormed forward and was killed, promptly followed by me getting killed.

Game over.

Very limited resources and tolerance for mistakes plus a strong reliance on teamwork is bad for pub gaming, especially if you have little experience.

Maybe in coop with steam colleagues of whom you know they aren't Leeroy Jenkins...
Quoted for truth.  Right now, I am playing with just myself and a close friend.  I would take a single experienced player over three ignorant ones any day.

What does the blink pack do, anyway?  Done that mission so many times and nobody's ever bothered grabbing it.

On the other hand, I'm always the only one to grab the boots and everyone's like "oh god where the hell did you get those" BV
Unlimited teleportation with a slightly long cooldown.

Bananamatic

« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2010, 11:50:16 PM »
It's a wonderful game for griefing though.
One dude decided to deathmatch halfway through the mission and the entire game went to hell.

also nuke mission=final?

« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2010, 11:52:21 PM »
It's a wonderful game for griefing though.
One dude decided to deathmatch and the entire game went to hell.
I lol'd so hard when you PM'd me about that on Steam.

Unlimited teleportation with a slightly long cooldown.
I think I'll be grabbing that next time then.  Shame it's not an unlockable.

People kept senselessly pushing forward even though teammates were injured. When I dropped health packs, people often simply ignored it. Two people decided that going solo was the way to go and got killed. Then people started to become "infected". Not having faced this situation before, much less as medic, the game showing me a "left click" notification over the respective team mate told me that I should left click on him, which did nothing, even after changing weapons back and forth (don't shoot squad members Ha ha, old chap!!), then told to me press "Q", which did likewise did nothing, until eventually I just thought "screw it" and threw a kit on the ground, which did the trick. After he recovered, he stormed forward and was killed, promptly followed by me getting killed.

Game over.

Playing Medic is way easier with the medigun than with health packs imo.  Medigun's unlocked at level 9, I highly recommend trying it out.

Bananamatic

« Reply #76 on: July 20, 2010, 11:54:38 PM »
The dark rooms are an ass though...and the occassional freeze which gets you easily killed.

« Reply #77 on: July 20, 2010, 11:58:52 PM »
Trying to learn how the hell to use this tile-gen map making thingy ATM.  I is confuzzled.

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2010, 11:59:38 PM »
Playing Medic is way easier with the medigun than with health packs imo.  Medigun's unlocked at level 9, I highly recommend trying it out.
Well, as of now I am level ~1.5  :derp:

Mh, I gather levels are just good for unlocking new weapons and equipment, and not for actual customizeable skill trees?  :/
Dang, I looked forward to something like that.

I'l play a little more tomorrow and see if it is less of a disaster. Possibly.
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2010, 12:03:28 AM »
Well, as of now I am level ~1.5  :derp:

Mh, I gather levels are just good for unlocking new weapons and equipment, and not for actual customizeable skill trees?  :/
Dang, I looked forward to something like that.

I'l play a little more tomorrow and see if it is less of a disaster. Possibly.
Levels just unlock weapons as far as I'm noticing.  Might add bonus stats to weapons too, but don't quote me on that.

« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2010, 12:04:29 AM »
Got the smart bomb at level 25.  Hope I don't kill myself with it.  :3

« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2010, 12:08:04 AM »
Got the smart bomb at level 25.  Hope I don't kill myself with it.  :3
I thought level 25 gave you a souped-up sentry.

« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2010, 12:09:27 AM »
I thought level 25 gave you a souped-up sentry.
Make that 26.  Also that sentry has 25 ammo.  What.

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #83 on: July 21, 2010, 12:09:46 AM »
Then people started to become "infected". Not having faced this situation before, much less as medic, the game showing me a "left click" notification over the respective team mate told me that I should left click on him, which did nothing, even after changing weapons back and forth (don't shoot squad members lol!), then told to me press "Q", which did likewise did nothing, until eventually I just thought "screw it" and threw a kit on the ground, which did the trick.
It was trying to tell you to heal him.  If you're using the Medi Gun it seems that firing individual shots instead of holding down M1 will cure an infestation with less ammo consumed.

If you have one (or a teammate who "gets" you), weld the door shut after he charges in :V
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

« Reply #84 on: July 21, 2010, 12:29:49 AM »
If you have one (or a teammate who "gets" you), weld the door shut after he charges in :V
This shouldn't be as fun as it is.

Make that 26.  Also that sentry has 25 ammo.  What.
Still better than the flashlight.

« Reply #85 on: July 21, 2010, 12:33:42 AM »
Still better than the nightvision.
Fixed.

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #86 on: July 21, 2010, 01:09:59 AM »
Apparently, someone said that replaying a demo and skipping to the end nets you XP points

« Reply #87 on: July 21, 2010, 01:26:18 AM »
Apparently, someone said that replaying a demo and skipping to the end nets you XP points
So THAT'S what people were talking about when they mentioned free EXP.

By the way, levels are also client-sided.  While that means your level is different depending on the computer, it also means you can manually edit it if you know where to look (which I don't).

Fixed.
Wasn't even aware that existed.

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #88 on: July 21, 2010, 01:39:34 AM »
asw_horde_override 1  to activate L4D AI director. Though I think only the host can use it

« Reply #89 on: July 21, 2010, 01:56:05 AM »
Leveling up is really easy in this game, replays or not.  Seriously, you net pretty much 1300 experience for every level you complete.  The levels are incredibly short too.  I hit level 10 within less than an hour of playing.

I kinda wish they would fix some of the descriptions for the items.