Author Topic: Numbers Mafia - Scum Win, Q.E.D.  (Read 39037 times)

Serp

• It's all about overwhelming force and irresistible style
  • And in a pinch, style can slide
Re: Numbers Mafia - Scum Win, Q.E.D.
« Reply #240 on: November 03, 2009, 08:45:51 PM »
That was...  painful to watch.  I hate it when people bitch and moan in the postgame, but I've got to admit that I really sympathize with how Kilga felt after Invasion.  Scum played a solid game, I suppose, but this was more a case of the town losing than of the scum winning.  The odds were stacked against the town in the first place, with two newbies and an inactive on their side, while scum had a solid pair to work with.  I don't see anyone that I can name Town MVP aside from myself, but good strategy and correct alignment predictions are only half of playing well as town.  You also have to be able to convince the town that your pick of scum is actually scum.

Quote from: Roukanken
He was the deciding vote between the Zak/Serp wagons, and he was scum pulling it away from his buddy. The most obvious setup possible, and Town managed to miss it.

This is a completely valid observation,

...See, this is why I don't play anymore.

But this is utter bullshit.  You stopped playing out of exasperation at your own failures more than at the failures of others, as I remember it.  You didn't join as a player, and there's no reason to think that you would've done any better in a townie's shoes, so you don't have a leg to stand on.  Put up or shut up.

Anyway, the game's setup was fine.  The shorter days were a little hectic, but I'm starting to think that we should be playing some shorter games just to remind everyone of the basics of how to find scum, rather than longer games that just produce ten pages of text in a day and don't have any easily discernable lessons.
[15:13] <Sana> >:<

Nietz

• NEETz
  • Normal Person
Re: Numbers Mafia - Int Day = 3;
« Reply #241 on: November 03, 2009, 09:02:20 PM »
Why the heck did no-one look at Nietz after D2?

He was the deciding vote between the Zak/Serp wagons, and he was scum pulling it away from his buddy. The most obvious setup possible, and Town managed to miss it.
Because they didn't previously know we were the scumpair?
I mean, I actually expected to get more flak for that than I actually did, but after quite some time weighting the pros and cons of bussing Zak or not, I just decided to vote like a townie.
It couldn't be helped was hard not to see Serp as scummier and more legitimate vote at that point. I knew he was right about Zakeri, but his reasoning was unconvincing even to me. I actually regretted voting him soon after that because I also became convinced he had a cop result.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 09:04:10 PM by Nietz »

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
« Reply #242 on: November 03, 2009, 09:15:23 PM »
Hai hai, I'm sorry for hammering you master.

Honestly, when I reread I was like "WHAT THE FUCK? WHY WAS SERPY LYNCHED!?"

that should have been a hint to me.

Ramus

• The Knightly Wizard
  • Trying to be an engineer
« Reply #243 on: November 03, 2009, 09:52:38 PM »
Hey ho Serp, guess what, you can't make someone play a game if they don't enjoy it.

So final thoughts:  I suck at surviving.  Analysis is far easier to do post-posthumously.  Anyway, Zakeri I had flagged from the first day and I really should have gone after him instead of arguing with Pesco... -___-.  Still, I just got Zakeri because it left the argument to everyone else and in essence, lurked.  Nietz, though I didn't see him race any flags until the "I hate lylo when I'm a little suspicious of everyone."  I'm not sure why, but that just set something off in my head.

Pesco, after my death and I stopped being pissed off at him, looked townie because he took initiative to look for scum, something that I need to relearn to do.  Finally guys, WHY DID YOU WANT FROM ME THE FIRST DAY?!

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #244 on: November 03, 2009, 09:54:36 PM »
Finally guys, WHY DID YOU WANT FROM ME THE FIRST DAY?!

You to calm down and assess the reactions against you. Might not have worked but it would have been better.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #245 on: November 03, 2009, 09:56:38 PM »
But this is utter bullshit.  You stopped playing out of exasperation at your own failures more than at the failures of others, as I remember it.  You didn't join as a player, and there's no reason to think that you would've done any better in a townie's shoes, so you don't have a leg to stand on.  Put up or shut up.
It's more a matter of feeling bad for being part of something like this. If I'm Town, and Town gets wrecked, I naturally feel devastated for screwing up so badly. Not playing means I avoid situations like that. >_>

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #246 on: November 03, 2009, 09:59:51 PM »
It's more a matter of feeling bad for being part of something like this. If I'm Town, and Town gets wrecked, I naturally feel devastated for screwing up so badly. Not playing means I avoid situations like that. >_>

I know that I can understand that myself. That's the exact reason I'm going to be sitting out from the next few games...

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #247 on: November 03, 2009, 10:03:02 PM »

Affinity

• hoho
  • ... but I have promises to keep.
« Reply #248 on: November 03, 2009, 10:44:45 PM »
Just saying, I investigated Serp on N1, giving a townie result, and Zak on N2, giving a guilty.

I don't think scum played solidly at all, sadly.  Notice that Zakeri did absolutely nothing during D2 and D3 except defending himself; he did not go after pesco as he claimed to, and merely voted Serp at the drop of the hat.  That was the main thing here.  Nietz also waffled majorly on Zakeri and voted Serp for rather sudden and unconvincing reasons.  Serp and pesco were all the active people and voting who they thought they were scummy.  Thus, I think this game could and should have been won by traditional principles; I was a little shocked when Serp got the lynch on D2.

And ShiningDrake, I think this is the most newbie-friendly game we've had in a long time, so I think yeah... you do need to look around more.  Maybe go on mafiascum or something.  I like the simplicity and the short days, there was little of the rhetoric that plagued all the other games.

I think I agree with Kilga's way of playing D1 and D2 too.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #249 on: November 03, 2009, 10:49:21 PM »
I hope you agree with my way of playing D2!

I hope everyone agrees with my way of playing D2! That's how you're SUPPOSED to play the game! >_>
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #250 on: November 03, 2009, 11:00:03 PM »
I hope you agree with my way of playing D2!

I hope everyone agrees with my way of playing D2! That's how you're SUPPOSED to play the game! >_>

That's the 'Lynch Pesco -> Find scum -> Vote' formula right?

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #251 on: November 03, 2009, 11:04:23 PM »
I was a little shocked when Serp got the lynch on D2.

Had I not been in a rush he wouldn't have been. I still am kicking myself on that.

Nietz

• NEETz
  • Normal Person
« Reply #252 on: November 03, 2009, 11:09:16 PM »
Had I not been in a rush he wouldn't have been. I still am kicking myself on that.
Technically he was already dead when you voted. Your post was 8 minutes past deadline, and according to rule 3 would have been lynched regardless of it.

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #253 on: November 03, 2009, 11:16:29 PM »
Technically he was already dead when you voted. Your post was 8 minutes past deadline, and according to rule 3 would have been lynched regardless of it.

Thanks ^-^.

I feel a lot better now. It means it wasn't my fault now :P.

EDIT: Wait, if I had voted Zak, and on time (unlikely), what would resolve the tie?

Serp

• It's all about overwhelming force and irresistible style
  • And in a pinch, style can slide
« Reply #254 on: November 03, 2009, 11:17:43 PM »
Hey ho Serp, guess what, you can't make someone play a game if they don't enjoy it.

But I'm well within my rights to call them out for hypocrisy.

Wait, so was it obvious to you that we should have lynched Zakeri (in which case if you had been playing, you'd have pointed it out and been our savior), or was it just a horrible clusterfuck that you'd prefer to keep at arm's length?

Quote from: Affinity
I don't think scum played solidly at all, sadly.

Part of being scum is knowing what you can get away with.  Good scum play isn't necessarily very pro-town.  If you can contribute to confusion and lack of communication without getting yourself lynched, then in some cases, that's your best play.
[15:13] <Sana> >:<

« Reply #255 on: November 04, 2009, 05:26:47 PM »
Part of being scum is knowing what you can get away with.  Good scum play isn't necessarily very pro-town.  If you can contribute to confusion and lack of communication without getting yourself lynched, then in some cases, that's your best play.

I agree with this. When I made my vote on day two, I had two options. I could vote Pesco and hope people stop looking towards me. If I had done that, Affinity's point of me not voting until I was called out likely would have been noticed, and I would have been lynched, and Pesco would have been semiclear. Instead, I choose to OMGUS Serp's case on me. If that happened, Neitz would be given a great opportunity to Bus me and look even more town.

And then Serp got lynched. It really was a "have cake and eat it." situation there.