Author Topic: Miscellaneous Questions 7 - To Misc or not to Misc  (Read 137214 times)

Re: Miscellaneous Questions 7 - To Misc or not to Misc
« Reply #120 on: October 14, 2017, 12:09:15 AM »
In fandom its fairly common for Mokou to be shown as using kicks primarily for physical attacks, usually using her fire powers to enhance the kick. This is now canon as of ULIL, but i'm wondering what started it in the first place? Was it just to show off those cool ass pants, or was it a reference to a fighting game character im unaware of, or something else entirely? Or was it just because it looked cool.
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi

Drake

« Reply #121 on: October 14, 2017, 12:49:09 AM »
It's probably some combination of the fire, the pants, and her having her hands in her pockets that just lends well to it. Nicopedia doesn't seem to have anything on it for explicit references.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Fulisha of Light

• Also known as Felis-Licht
  • Light and Day Aeon ~C☆
« Reply #122 on: October 27, 2017, 06:39:29 AM »
This is an unusual question that I'm not sure is exactly Touhou-related, but I was looking into Japanese names today for research stuff (mainly with how English names are written with the little dot in the middle) and I've noticed this:

So characters such as Patchouli and Letty have that dot in the middle of their Japanese names because their names are English and it shows where the next word begins and fairies such as Sunny Milk and Star Sapphire have English names as well, but I've noticed they don't have that dot in the middle of their Japanese names despite it being English. Why is that exactly?

Drake

« Reply #123 on: October 27, 2017, 07:41:02 AM »
Fairy names are one word even when they're two English words put together. They have no last names. It just so happens that they're inconsistently written in English and just kind of depend on what looks good I guess. See Clownpiece of course, but also "Sunnymilk", "Lunarchild", "Starsaphire" written in PMiSS (yet written differently in other sources). And then despite them having just one name, they still all shorten to nicknames anyways (Sunny, Luna, Star, Piece).

« Reply #124 on: October 27, 2017, 08:22:17 AM »
This applies to Lilywhite and Eternitylarva too, by the way. It's consistent across all fairies.

Drake

« Reply #125 on: October 27, 2017, 08:42:09 AM »
Yes, I just didn't use those as examples because I can't recall if they've been written that way in any official capacity yet.

« Reply #126 on: October 30, 2017, 04:51:07 PM »
When Reisen said that Reimu's "Match with no one, and clash with no one", what does it mean?

« Reply #127 on: October 31, 2017, 02:46:40 AM »
I don't recall the context of that, but it means she can get along with anyone, but not especially well. Neutral.

PK

• Border of Whatever
« Reply #128 on: October 31, 2017, 07:50:44 PM »
I wanted to do some changes to Yorihime's wiki page. Can someone tell me who are lord Gion (Yorihime's sword being Gion's) and lord Enma (the wiki says Yory uses his power)? Also what's with "she doesn't summon shinto gods because lunarians don't follow them"? The gods she summons are clearly shinto, and the lunarians are themselves the shinto gods.

Drake

« Reply #129 on: November 01, 2017, 02:49:01 AM »
Saying "she draws from Enma instead of Shinto gods" is like two mistakes. She calls upon the gods on the Moon "rather than" the Earth's, meaning she channels the Amatsukami rather than the Kunitsukami that Reimu calls. Saying "Lunarians do not follow the Earth's gods" is technically correct I guess but it's more like they probably just avoid them. It isn't like they don't believe in them or something, Yorihime might even be able to call them if she wanted to. Meanwhile I can sort of recall them mentioning "the power of Enma-sama" somewhere but I really can't remember where to clarify.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 02:58:44 AM by Drake »

« Reply #130 on: November 01, 2017, 03:09:29 AM »
This is secondhand knowledge so you should do your own research, but I recall someone telling me that she uses weird obscure names for otherwise famous gods.

Drake

« Reply #131 on: November 01, 2017, 04:31:40 AM »
I do indeed remember that exact discussion! But, it was quite a while ago and I have no records of it to refer back to. Gion-sama for example could actually refer to the Gion faith (祇園信仰) in which Susanoo is commonly worshiped, but I don't know enough to make informed statements. Shinto is already fuzzy and chaotic enough as it is. I would say a reasonable gimmick would be to namedrop Earthly gods worshiped at shrines that also or used to house the intended Heavenly gods, but many of the gods called by Yorihime are already in that class.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 11:02:02 AM by Drake »

« Reply #132 on: November 01, 2017, 09:38:58 AM »
What is the chapter where Reimu temporary work as a Divinator, who give shockingly accurate wild guess? I remember it somewhere in WaHH or FS, but can't find the chapter.

« Reply #133 on: November 01, 2017, 09:52:09 AM »
I think it's WaHH chapter 23.

« Reply #134 on: November 01, 2017, 02:21:40 PM »
Now that we on the subject though...how does her Intuition work anyway? I have a hunch that it's more akin to her "reading" the nature, by flowing with it + her massive luck in the first place, and it's getting stronger (from not be able to guess the incident in PoFV, to fortune telling), with the same amount of focus (when disturbed, she can't guess thing right). It's also depend on her interpreptation, as in the case of Humaned Away, she get to the one person that knew it the best, but mistake it for the cause.

game2011

• mineiptXD
    • Supreme ??asual Dating Verified Women
« Reply #135 on: November 03, 2017, 01:49:50 AM »
Why are some people calling Narumi Chinese?  Aren't jizou statues Japanese?

Drake

« Reply #136 on: November 03, 2017, 05:12:22 AM »
She isn't, but her dress and hair have a Chinese design so yeah.

game2011

• mineiptXD
« Reply #137 on: November 04, 2017, 03:46:57 AM »
She isn't, but her dress and hair have a Chinese design so yeah.
How does her design look Chinese?

Drake

« Reply #138 on: November 04, 2017, 05:13:12 AM »
I don't know. The stereotype seems to be that long curve-fitting one-piece dress looks like a cheongsam or something, even though it totally isn't.

The red bib thing is also a traditionally Japanese thing, as far as I'm aware.

Lt Colonel Summers

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Do not mess with a soldier
« Reply #139 on: November 04, 2017, 09:41:12 AM »
Most westerners just can't tell the difference between Chinese, Japanese and Korean cultural elements, despite the very obvious differences between the three.
There's nothing inscribed on the dog tag...

game2011

• mineiptXD
« Reply #140 on: November 04, 2017, 11:39:46 AM »
Most westerners just can't tell the difference between Chinese, Japanese and Korean cultural elements, despite the very obvious differences between the three.
Even worse, I've encountered one who couldn't tell the difference between Thai and Japanese people...

« Reply #141 on: November 05, 2017, 12:18:54 PM »
In Moon War 2, Yukari is "trapped" by the nest that have been planted a thousand years ago, as the waxing and waning of the full moon let to that very specific moment, when the time is shorten enough that the Lunarian could capture the mastermind, who somehow chose to go to this specific moment and somehow unaware of the phasing of the moon despite planning the following millenia invading it.

...Sound stupid, isn't it? It's as if Yukari herself wanted to get capture herself, playing alone with the plan that somehow only work in that very specific full moon a thousand years later. That shown how ridiculously arrogant the Lunarian (and Eirin) is, thinking that the mastermind behind this would willingly get capture in this specific moment instead of, you know, just do it the following full moon (in fact, that's precisely what she done, infiltrating the Lunar Capital and get her spy out)

The question is: Does that mean Yukari actually take into account of Lunarian's arrogant, and planned the whole Moon War 1 so that she could successfully win in also this very specific moment? Is Yukari, perhap, using the very failure of the Great Lunar War, to plant arrogant into the very heart of the Lunarian, so that she could successfully exploited it?

...Yeah, sound improbable. Yukari probably just planted that so that she could go into the Lunar Capital whenever she pleased, and thousands year later, she just see Eirin being arrogant and decided to used this really stupid plan (relatively, still smart enough to know that the opponent would play along with the trap (sarcasm)) against her.

Still, that's some fking mind game Yukari does. Anyway, just wanted to point that out.

game2011

• mineiptXD
« Reply #142 on: November 09, 2017, 10:52:00 AM »
Is it completely incorrect to say that the series is inspired by Japanese animation?  I've seen people going crazy and getting mad every time the word "anime" is used to describe the series in any way...

Personally, I think they're exaggerating...

Shadowlupus

• Crimson Blade Hidden Amidst the Darkness
« Reply #143 on: November 09, 2017, 12:22:27 PM »
I think it's because ppl (usually trolls) often associate "Anime" with ideas like weeb shit, ecchi or Japan is being weird again, instead of the artstyle itself. It does not help that most modern Anime I've watched so far have at least one scene of fanservice per episode. That's why Touhou fans are immediately triggered whenever outsiders say that forbidden word.

To be fair, I don't know why instead of asking "what series/work is this?", people have to replace it with "Anime" when the former is clear by itself even when the work isn't an animation.

On the other hand, I don't think there is anything so embarassing associated with western animations that ppl would get triggered when Japanese ppl says "What Disney is this?" when asking about anything western-made.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 12:28:16 PM by Shadowlupus »

Lt Colonel Summers

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Do not mess with a soldier
« Reply #144 on: November 09, 2017, 02:18:54 PM »
I think it's because ppl (usually trolls) often associate "Anime" with ideas like weeb shit, ecchi or Japan is being weird again, instead of the artstyle itself. It does not help that most modern Anime I've watched so far have at least one scene of fanservice per episode. That's why Touhou fans are immediately triggered whenever outsiders say that forbidden word.

To be fair, I don't know why instead of asking "what series/work is this?", people have to replace it with "Anime" when the former is clear by itself even when the work isn't an animation.

This, I believed, can be chalked down to most westerners believing that all Japanese media (that isn't a pictureless novel or live-action film/series) are anime.
On the other hand, I don't think there is anything so embarassing associated with western animations that ppl would get triggered when Japanese ppl says "What Disney is this?" when asking about anything western-made.

This might be just the fact that westerners are more prone to hypocrisy than Asians (hence this trope)
Also, there are galaxy-sized differences between Disney/Pixar animations and any other western animations. We Asians know whether we're looking at a Disney/Pixar animation or not, even if we've never seen an animation before.
Also, some non-Disney/Pixar western animations would do anything to give their audience a good laugh, including blatant violation of logic and common sense (looking at you here, Simpsons).
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 02:24:36 PM by Lt Colonel Summers »
There's nothing inscribed on the dog tag...

PK

• Border of Whatever
« Reply #145 on: November 09, 2017, 04:38:59 PM »
Does anyone know what is this about?
http://tohonetwork.doorblog.jp/archives/73102208.html
Is ZUN releasing something else, or is Google betraying me?

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #146 on: November 10, 2017, 12:47:57 AM »
The article is just making note that ZUN is attending an indie/doujin game exhibition this Sunday and there might be an announcement of some sort, like when he showed off the exclusive ISC stage a few years ago. That part's just speculation, but he'll probably mention that himself today or tomorrow.

PK

• Border of Whatever
« Reply #147 on: November 10, 2017, 08:17:54 AM »
Thanks!

game2011

• mineiptXD
« Reply #148 on: November 10, 2017, 12:23:00 PM »
So about my question from before...  Are those people overreacting?  I mean when they hear Touhou and anime put together and going bats**** insane.

« Reply #149 on: November 10, 2017, 01:02:44 PM »
So about my question from before...  Are those people overreacting?  I mean when they hear Touhou and anime put together and going bats**** insane.

" huuh touhou is ours it's not this mainstream anime huuh we're hipsters " kind of thing i guess. Going insane and getting angry at someone asking if it's an anime is just plain stupid imo.