Author Topic: Decompiling Main Touhou .dats Help  (Read 4509 times)

Hikarin

• 別に意味はない。
  • 本当にメイドですね。。。
Decompiling Main Touhou .dats Help
« on: February 07, 2016, 06:27:58 PM »
So I couldn't seem to find a thread on digging through the character dialogue in the main Touhou games, so could someone here give me a quick rundown? Just planning on doing a fun little translation someone gave me the idea for  :D

Quick Synopsis of how far (or not) I've managed to get:
So, using the Touhou Toolkit, I've extracted the game files into a separate folder, from IN. This folder contains all of the images, soundtracks, and text for the game, but it's all compiled into *.rpy for the game demos, or *.dat for the "msg" files, which I assume are the actual dialogues. The *.rpy files are encoded with who-knows-what, and trial and error with jEdit hasn't gotten me anywhere for those. The *.dat files are just plain weird, and don't want to be opened by anything. Either I'm just being stupid and overlooked something, or more likely I just don't know.

If such a guide or just a summary already exists, I couldn't find it with the Search bar for MotK, so a link would be nice.

I should add that I'm not completely a noob to this kind of thing, I've done decompiles and mods/hacks of other games, but Touhou has different encoding and file structure.

PADherder <3 Updated 8/13/2017!

Drake

Re: Decompiling Main Touhou .dats Help
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 03:03:22 AM »
You use thmsg to decompile the dialogue files, and they're just dumped into plaintext to edit.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Lollipop

• stay woke
  • literally and figuratively dying
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 03:22:38 AM »
You use thmsg to decompile the dialogue files, and they're just dumped into plaintext to edit.

so you can edit, change every other word to 'Moon', recompile the files, play the game, and have every other word be 'Moon'?
Touhou 1CCS:
Hard: LLS, EoSD(NB), PCB(NB), IN, MoF, TD, DDC(NB), LoLK
Lunatic: EoSD, PCB, DDC, LoLK
Extra: LLS, EoSD, PCB(Extra&Phantasm), IN, MoF, SA, DDC, LoLK
Current Focus: 1cc SA Hard, or an Extra

Hikarin

• 別に意味はない。
  • 本当にメイドですね。。。
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 04:32:38 AM »

Thank you! This certainly helped  :)

PADherder <3 Updated 8/13/2017!