Author Topic: Are You a Squid Now? - Splatoon Thread  (Read 98543 times)

Tamashii Kanjou

• If you didn't quite already know...
  • I am the leader of TCF <3
    • TCF's Gaming Channel
Re: Are You a Squid Now? - Splatoon Thread
« Reply #690 on: October 10, 2015, 11:31:22 AM »
Yep, I saw it. The EU gets the first repeated Splatfest. It's Cats vs Dogs!

On one hand, I'm sad seeing this because I like things staying fresh; new contests are greater than repeats of other areas. On the other hand, TEAM CATS FOR THE WIN! <3

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #691 on: October 10, 2015, 11:52:03 AM »
I can't believe Europe is running such an incompetent division for Splatoon.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #692 on: October 10, 2015, 12:47:28 PM »
Custom Ranged Blaster is great. Ranged blaster is like my tertiary weapon right now, and I think it's the coolest-looking weapon in the game. Kraken is obviously great for it, because one of its major weaknesses is poor up-close handling. Not sold on Splat Bombs because they seem kind of redundant, but then again I've never really heavily used them so I think I underestimate them. Would have picked mines or seekers if I got to choose, but Splat Bombs are certainly on the viable side of subweapons.

EU Splatfest: That's awful. I hope whoever's in charge gets their act together, or at least has a great reason for the poor showing.

Played a decent amount of NA Splatfest last night with a nice long winstreak, but the team fell apart when we lost to the most shameless lagroller I've ever seen. I couldn't seem to settle with another good group in the next few matches so I went to bed. The maps seemed well-balanced though, and there were minimal to no matchmaking problems at that point.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #693 on: October 10, 2015, 01:25:54 PM »
I'm not sure why, but I can't seem to get used to the blaster-type weapons. They seem cool and intimidating and all but they demand fairly careful aim and I haven't gotten that good yet.

Also, in the JP Splatfest, I am an Eternal Taco Boy.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #694 on: October 10, 2015, 01:28:05 PM »
What's going on with the EU splatfest that's incompetent? Cats v Dogs isn't a bad theme and it's light years ahead of "messy vs tidy"

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #695 on: October 10, 2015, 01:56:08 PM »
Not announcing a theme until the very last second and then repeating an existing one smacks of laziness. Part of the fun of Splatfest is seeing the wacky new themes. And since that specific one was fairly imbalanced, popularity-wise, I expect there to be a huge dog bandwagon because nobody wants to back the handicapped team.

I admit that's a little bit of an interesting experiment, but it's certainly not creative and I think it has a lot if potential to create matchmaking havok and make the event less fun.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 02:54:39 PM by commandercool »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #696 on: October 10, 2015, 02:35:51 PM »
What commander said. Usually SplatFest is well announced days before. This is just shit. Cats vs Dogs might be "legit" fest. But at least announce it beforehand. Now it looks like (and is) some last-minute decision.

Forza, regarding Blasters, it is basically like the Instagib from Unreal Tournament series :V

N-Forza

« Reply #697 on: October 10, 2015, 02:44:10 PM »
I'd like to see the USA get the bread/rice for breakfast one. :V

And at least in Unreal, you have a mouse & keyboard for better aiming.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #698 on: October 10, 2015, 02:53:59 PM »
Do you use motion controls? I've had a few people tell me that the Splatoon motion controls are the closest a console has ever come to mouse/keyboard. I don't use motion controls or play shooters usually, so I can't confirm or deny that, but it's a claim people make sometimes.

I prefer Ranged Blaster partly because it requires a little bit less precise aiming, as weird as that sounds. Because you can use it from farther away it's safer if you miss and you can take people by surprise more easily, making two-hit splash kills easier. And with Splat Bombs on top of that you really just need to get in the general right area to kill people with it.

N-Forza

« Reply #699 on: October 10, 2015, 03:29:20 PM »
I do use motion controls and they are definitely the next best thing, but I'm still not completely used to them, although I never got super-good at any other FPS though I play them in moderation.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #700 on: October 10, 2015, 03:44:38 PM »
I've been playing Motion controls + stick combination from the start. Once you're used to, it gives you that precise aim. I combine the stick when I need camera jerking / quick orientation. The base remains Motion Control.

@ Forza,
:V Well I did take a look at the Maxfire converter thing or something which seems to emulate gamepad into mouse and keyboard. Unfortunately it cannot emulate the WiiU Game Pad. It only works for Splatoon on-screen 1v1 mode because the 2nd player utilizes the Wii Game Pad.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #701 on: October 10, 2015, 07:03:10 PM »
I didn't know that the EU one was last minute, I thought it was being announced for next week. lol.

I use motion controls and have the camera sensitivity turned way up to twitchy high and it's great and I like it a lot.

« Reply #702 on: October 10, 2015, 07:48:16 PM »
I didn't know that the EU one was last minute, I thought it was being announced for next week. lol.

It is actually scheduled for next week. You guys gotta do your research man. :V

Source: https://twitter.com/NintendoUK/status/652785816356454400

You can accuse the EU Splatfest team of being uncreative but they're not pulling any last minute bullcrap. It's kinda unfortunate that it got delayed though since the Japan and US Splatfests are happening this weekend. Would have been cool if the Splatfest schedule would have been more or less globally synchronized.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 07:51:59 PM by CrystalCreation »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #703 on: October 10, 2015, 09:00:33 PM »
Can I say then the following? "Wow, so they delayed it because they couldn't come up with a theme and decided to recycle an old one?"   :V

Would have been cool if the Splatfest would have been globally.
Fixed.

(A dream, perhaps one day it will be true)

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #704 on: October 16, 2015, 10:46:52 AM »

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #705 on: October 16, 2015, 11:04:42 AM »
Good.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #706 on: October 16, 2015, 12:50:13 PM »
Wow, all of that is pretty interesting, although I'd have to see a lot of it in a match before I can realky make practical sense of it. But on paper it looks like maybe blasters got the worst nerf, and chargers now have to be fully charged to kill?

The only changes to any of the weapons I play are from the super nerfs. They make a lot of sense, Inkzooka was too brainlessly spammable and Kraken was too risky to try to lock down with weapon fire before. I don't mind either change. They still totally do what they're supposed to, but they're less hands-down better than other supers now.

Although now I'm thinking Bubbler is probably secured into definitely being the best super, since the other two options that even had a chance to unseat it are now significantly nerfed.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 02:41:15 PM by commandercool »

« Reply #707 on: October 16, 2015, 02:35:02 PM »
So they nerfed a good bunch of weapons but not the f***ing Bubbler? >:( Aaaaaarg!

Picochilla

• Just a random Chinchilla
« Reply #708 on: October 16, 2015, 07:40:48 PM »
To the Roller nerf

does that mean i can hit them with the roller part only now to get one shot and the rest does less damage huh?

It's kinda hard to say because it's a bit wierd written for me.

Tamashii Kanjou

• TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #709 on: October 18, 2015, 12:56:08 AM »
After one of the most infuriating sessions of Splatfest I've had for some time (the majority of my matches involved one player on my team dropping, or my team just being utter crap) Kamiko finally emerges as the Queen of all cats!

Seriously, though, I had so many connection issues tonight. Just based on most of my matches, I will not be surprised to see Dogs take this on wins. We had a cat-fight once early on, but I think the votes will be pretty balanced; I hope it is anyway. If cats lose this one as well, then fleh, Dogs win by default if Japan end up having the theme at some point. Would be nice to see Cats take the victory this time; Judd deserves the spotlight! :3

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #710 on: October 18, 2015, 05:21:52 PM »
I guess we're all salty in our own way. I am particular because personally, a hard to use weapon in general gets no longer insta-kill ability? There goes my entire effort in play style for Blasters.

Edit: Hold on a second. They are mentioning Blast Wave damage and not its base damage. I know that many people stacked full Damage Up gear to make the splash damage 1-shot people. If that is the actual nerf, I am perfectly fine with that? Argh this is confusing.

In between edit 3 I think it is after all the 1-shot ability since in weapon test mode the direct hit does 125~128 damage for me. So I guess bye bye blaster play.

Edit2:
The ELitre nerf makes it almost sound like wearing armour+ is going to make a difference in between getting 1-shotted or not. This is quite interesting lol.

Edit4
European SplatFest Recycle Results are in:
46 vs 54
56 vs 44
270 vs 230.

I was dogs, because Hotaru-san. And I only played 1 rank. +3 snails.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 06:02:15 PM by Helepolis »

Tamashii Kanjou

• TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #711 on: October 18, 2015, 07:05:08 PM »
Remember when America got dunked on with dogs winning all those Splatfests ago? I say got dunked on, Cats only just got a higher win percentage than dogs did for America, despite the dogs scoring 63% on the votes...

Well, us Europeans show them how it's done! Yes, we also lost on the votes, but not only was that percentage closer than America's one, our win rate was also higher! <3

Quick! Someone draw Marie/Hotaru sprawled out on the floor with Judd either victory posing on top of her, or just plain sleeping on her back~ XD
Still, well done to everyone. I'm now 5-1 in Splatfests; while I'm 6-0 with hitting the maximum titles. As much as I like Hotaru more, the themes just keep swinging against her. (She's only won one European Splatfest so far, right?)

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #712 on: October 18, 2015, 08:25:28 PM »
Japanese website has patchnotes with video samples for before and after.

Guess what, it is the splash damage afterall on the Blasters (unless I've seen the video wrong :V)

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/agmj/update/index_220.html

I am so happy.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #713 on: October 18, 2015, 09:27:43 PM »
In between edit 3 I think it is after all the 1-shot ability since in weapon test mode the direct hit does 125~128 damage for me. So I guess bye bye blaster play.

Really? Wow. That was the way I read it initially and that seemed extremely harsh, but people convinced me that the patch must just have been talking about splash damage. So what are the implications of that? Which weapons no longer one-shot that did before? All of them? Were blasters really so incredibly good that they needed to be nerfed that hard?

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #714 on: October 19, 2015, 05:45:46 AM »
Nono, read my previous post with link to JP patch notes please. The blasters are only nerfed to avoid the 1-shot splash damage kill with gear upgrades. The direct hit still splats for 160+ damage.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #715 on: October 19, 2015, 10:23:15 AM »
Nono, read my previous post with link to JP patch notes please. The blasters are only nerfed to avoid the 1-shot splash damage kill with gear upgrades. The direct hit still splats for 160+ damage.

Yeah, okay, I don't know how I missed that post the first time. Good.

« Reply #716 on: October 19, 2015, 11:55:51 AM »
They nerfed my Dynamo, I am crying ;_;

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #717 on: October 20, 2015, 01:12:55 AM »
They nerfed my Dynamo
And there was much rejoicing.

My E-Squiffer 3K also took a hit, but it'll still be an awesome gun.  I never stacked as much damage as some others who mained it so the biggest drawback is that I really like Ink Recovery and the 3K Custom won't get much out of the Damage Ups I use while the vanilla 3K's Burst Bombs love it.  Sadly the the changes came when I'm low on snails and money to reroll some new gear for when I'm using the Custom.
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #718 on: October 20, 2015, 02:07:49 AM »
My Splattershot Jr remains untouched. Default weapon superiority :smug:

« Reply #719 on: October 20, 2015, 08:49:44 AM »
I was maining the Jr, Dynamo and the custom blaster.

Now only the Jr is left standing.