Author Topic: [Music] Porygon Productions Game Music! (Touhou and Original)  (Read 5413 times)

ExPorygon

• Veteran Danmakufu Scripter
  • Currently working on a full Touhou fangame!
    • Ephemeral Entertainment
[Music] Porygon Productions Game Music! (Touhou and Original)
« on: January 23, 2014, 07:11:23 AM »
Hell, I am ExPorygon. I'm developing a Touhou fangame known as Ephemeral Unnatural Balance. After much effort, I have (mostly) succeeded in making an original soundtrack for the game consisting of mostly arranges of Touhou music. It's not quite finished yet but I thought I'd start showing off some of the completed tracks:

Title Theme: Ephemeral Spring ~ Tipping Scales
Stage 1 Theme: Dream Sunrise
Stage 1 Boss Theme: Unfired Jar of Awakened Vengeance

In addition to Touhou arrangements, I'm slowly producing my own original works in a similar style to Touhou music, but still very much with my own sound:

Bastion of Misguided Flesh
I decided to make it a theme for my Touhou OC, Mizuki Kurogawa. She was created for the Walfas Station Wagon event, Twilight of the Hakurei, but I will probably find some other use for her later.

Upon the Throne of an Illusionary Castle ~ Ancient Nagafu
A final boss theme for a game I'm planning on making in the future. It's also for another OC that I currently cannot talk much about.

I use FL Studio 11 for composing/remixing and primarily use its Sytrus plugin, the EastWest Symphony Orchestra (Silver Edition), and the Touhou Soundfont (usually only for the trumpets) for instruments.
Constructive criticism is welcomed.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 08:41:56 AM by ExPorygon »

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
Re: [Music] Porygon Productions Game Music! (Touhou and Original)
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 07:15:37 PM »
For me both songs are pretty good but I think that you repeat the melodic themes too much. While this works well for a title theme I feel that the Mizuki's theme could be more interesting if you used more different themes. For example in +-1:40 instead of repeating the melody from 0:13  you could try to create a piano solo like ZUN's Gensokyo Millenium one before recapitulating that part. Also in +-3:15 instead of repeating the same melody some tones up you could tried to create a solo like ZUN's Septette. With this maybe your song could have a stronger climax.

BTW where did you find that Touhou SoundFont? I tried to find the link to it but I only found a lot of songs made using that SoundFont :o
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

ExPorygon

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 11:34:53 PM »
For me both songs are pretty good but I think that you repeat the melodic themes too much. While this works well for a title theme I feel that the Mizuki's theme could be more interesting if you used more different themes. For example in +-1:40 instead of repeating the melody from 0:13  you could try to create a piano solo like ZUN's Gensokyo Millenium one before recapitulating that part. Also in +-3:15 instead of repeating the same melody some tones up you could tried to create a solo like ZUN's Septette. With this maybe your song could have a stronger climax.
Thanks for the input! Varying the main melody is something I had given thought to and accomplishing something like a ZUN piano solo was on my mind. I however have no idea how to make something like that that actually sounds decent. However, I've also never really TRIED either. I'll probably try that now that you suggested it.

BTW where did you find that Touhou SoundFont? I tried to find the link to it but I only found a lot of songs made using that SoundFont :o
The existing links for the soundfont are nearly all dead at this point. I found it a while ago and made a point to not lose it. I do have a download link on mega that I set up though: https://mega.co.nz/#!tNkkRaIR!C7syMDfk5pfXjcO7cI6t5BmG8ulJidiJvl6v4W3FsFw
This one doesn't contain the drums though.

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 01:18:27 AM »
Well... if you're going for a really Touhou Project sound in the music, the composition is in the right direction, but I think the drums could use some work. You don't often hear those sorts of drums in Touhou. ^^;

Your new song Bastion didn't sound much like a Touhou song in my opinion, as it had an extremely definitive start and end, and mostly played through the main tune the whole time except for a few transitions where the main stopped playing.

Of course if Touhou sound isn't what you're going for then all I would say is try to mix up the main tune a little bit. Maybe throw a key-change in there, and maybe an extra tune or two.

Don't get me wrong though, I really liked the main theme of it. Especially closer to the end of it, there was some really good and dramatic progression.

Now your second song...~

If this song is for a Touhou game, it sounds pretty good. Maybe it's the violin but it reminded me of Hopeless Masquerade.

Are you using any sort of limiter? Or Maximus maybe? Because that may have effected some of the sounds and adjusted some stuff when it didn't really need it. I also think the bass could use a bit of a reduction, or the treble could use a bit of a boost. Touhou music doesn't usually have a ton of bass. (My main concern is the drums again and the bass-y choirs. ^_^; )

If you're trying to keep your music a little more unique for your game by all means feel free to experiment. (ZUN himself has been doing a lot of that in the newer games. :P ) Those are just some thoughts of mine, from someone who really likes the First Windows Era Touhou music mostly. :D

ExPorygon

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 09:40:54 AM »
Well... if you're going for a really Touhou Project sound in the music, the composition is in the right direction, but I think the drums could use some work. You don't often hear those sorts of drums in Touhou. ^^;
I'm not going for Touhou style necessarily, I guess you could say that I take what I like from ZUN's work and combine it with my own stuff. I like to think that what I make takes elements from ZUN with my own touch to it. I'll put some more thought into the drums though, they do sound a little too technoish.

Your new song Bastion didn't sound much like a Touhou song in my opinion, as it had an extremely definitive start and end, and mostly played through the main tune the whole time except for a few transitions where the main stopped playing.
Yeah, it's not necessarily meant for a loopable battle theme (though it probably could work as one), it's just meant to be a character theme at the moment. I'm also not that great at varying the main melody of my songs. It's easily one of my biggest faults in original music.

Of course if Touhou sound isn't what you're going for then all I would say is try to mix up the main tune a little bit. Maybe throw a key-change in there, and maybe an extra tune or two.
I actually went ahead and did just that (or tried to): http://puu.sh/74qIi.mp3
Getting a MIDI keyboard has worked wonders for composing. It's a prototype and I'm not sure if the new melody helps or hinders it overall. I'm also hesitant to change the arrangement.

Don't get me wrong though, I really liked the main theme of it. Especially closer to the end of it, there was some really good and dramatic progression.
Thanks, I'll try to keep your advice in mind!

Now your second song...~

If this song is for a Touhou game, it sounds pretty good. Maybe it's the violin but it reminded me of Hopeless Masquerade.
Thanks! I've taking a huge liking to that violin.

Are you using any sort of limiter? Or Maximus maybe? Because that may have effected some of the sounds and adjusted some stuff when it didn't really need it. I also think the bass could use a bit of a reduction, or the treble could use a bit of a boost. Touhou music doesn't usually have a ton of bass. (My main concern is the drums again and the bass-y choirs. ^_^; )
You hit the nail right on the head. I AM using Maximus, though I'll admit that I'm not entirely sure the best way to use it. All I know for sure is that everything tends to sound better with one of its presets on. I should probably learn more about how to properly use it. Can you offer any advice?

If you're trying to keep your music a little more unique for your game by all means feel free to experiment. (ZUN himself has been doing a lot of that in the newer games. :P ) Those are just some thoughts of mine, from someone who really likes the First Windows Era Touhou music mostly. :D
That is my plan, I like to think I have a style all my own that's just influenced by ZUN. Thanks for the feedback, I'll try to take it all into account!

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 05:55:38 PM »
Getting a MIDI keyboard has worked wonders for composing. It's a prototype and I'm not sure if the new melody helps or hinders it overall. I'm also hesitant to change the arrangement.
Midi Keyboards are fantastic! I have one myself, and it's great for finding inspiration and improv-ing some tunes. Also great for recording sequences, as I'm pretty sure ZUN does that for most of his work.

Thanks! I've taking a huge liking to that violin.
I heard the violin in HM and I nearly had a fangasm. I love the violin, and they did an excellent job mixing it into the HM themes and music. :3 As a violinist myself, when I hear a violin that's just an immediate soft spot for me and other compositions.

You hit the nail right on the head. I AM using Maximus, though I'll admit that I'm not entirely sure the best way to use it. All I know for sure is that everything tends to sound better with one of its presets on. I should probably learn more about how to properly use it. Can you offer any advice?
Maximus is a real tough program to 'master' (IfYaNoWhatIMean)
I started out just messing around with presets and getting to know what each knob does. I don't use Maximus anymore in my own music, but whenever I start out I'd use the Clearmaster preset and just modify it from there. I use Maximus mainly for varying kinds of drums, usually ones with a more electronic sound.

You can see a few different tabs on the side of it for different generic equalization spectrum's, being low, medium and high. Mess around with those until you find a sound you like. I wouldn't advise putting Maximus on the master track, because that can cause some serious inconsistencies. D:

I'm no pro, but I mostly just mess with EQUO nowadays as that helps me get the sounds and balances I want. That, and in my ZUN-style music, Stereo Enhancer and Panomatic + Flanger on certain instruments.

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 10:01:36 PM »
:)
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

ExPorygon

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 05:15:47 PM »
So just chiming back in to show off a new WIP theme I've been writing: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ndabh45f80auwhv/kyuukai_1.mp3

And I guess I'll post some more of EUB's soundtrack:
Dream Sunrise (Stage 1)
Unfired Jar of Awakened Vengeance (Stage 1 Boss)]Unfired Jar of Awakened Vengeance (Stage 1 Boss)

You'll notice quickly that the stage 1 boss theme is not originally from Touhou... can anyone figure out where it's from?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 05:17:25 PM by ExPorygon »

ExPorygon

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 08:40:26 AM »
I've nearly finished that WIP theme from before: https://soundcloud.com/exporygon/upon-the-throne-of-an-illusionary-castle-ancient-nagafu

It's meant to be a final boss theme for an original character and to be featured in a new game that I'm planning to make down the line.

I'm really proud of this one and I put a lot of time into making it as good as I could.