Author Topic: When you are tempted by a game you're horrible at....?  (Read 8830 times)

chum

Re: When you are tempted by a game you're horrible at....?
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2013, 07:00:07 PM »
Most people play fighting games against each other. If you are bad at Soku, It's probably a good idea to play it against someone who won't rip you apart. I am terrible at Soku and I've enjoyed playing it against people are just as bad as I am, I also have no aspirations of getting better.

It really is possible to enjoy games without improving at them.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2013, 07:02:14 PM »
the get out part was a joke. sarcasm over the internet doesn't work, I have been reminded. I already said I like fandom stuff as much ever the next guy. the only thing I really can't stand are people that call themselves touhoufans and all the do is spout some IOSYS memes. that's all.
Big of you to clear the air here. Just for future reference: saying what you actually mean, rather than telling people what you meant after the fact, is a lot more effective for communication, and looks a lot more honest. Thanks.

yes. if someone wants to improve, I am willing to help them as best as I can. I want the players to get better and do some cool survival stuff or start scoring. I believe to have given useful tips to other players many times - I have gotten thanks for my tips occasionally.
I can second this here, that players around here can be really helpful. I remember once complaining about having difficulty fighting Marisa in IN, and some person - I'm sorry for forgetting who you were, if you're reading this - actually took a bunch of screenshots from one of their replays, zipped it up, and sent it on over. I think that was about the nicest thing.

It really is possible to enjoy games without improving at them.
Sure, but if you enjoy them, you'll probably keep playing them, and end up improving at them almost by default!

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2013, 08:07:30 PM »
Alright so I finally brought myself to actually install the game

To be brutally honest:

Touhou games had me scared sh*tless, I was expecting something obscenely brutal in terms of difficulty and....well lets just say that because of the art direction the game took I didn't want to try playing thoses just to end hating the game's guts  due to the difficulty driving me up the walls

At the same time It was sold to be so difficult that I kinda respected it too at the same time, kinda like something you know you shouldn't f*ck around with if you wanna walk it off with your two legs still where they should be...

But I am getting side-tracked.

Anywho, Could someone please tell me if I can access a sort of "moves list" in the practice mode ?

I d*cked around a little bit in practice mode to see how it handles but I'd like to try and see just how hard moves can become to pull off

And if this topic seems inappropriate for such questions, could you perhaps point me in the direction of a topic more suited to it ?

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2013, 08:28:59 PM »
Heya. No in-game movelist that I ever remember seeing, but go here: http://hisouten.koumakan.jp/wiki/Main_Page
Click the character's name over on the left, and you'll see everything you could want to know about them.

You may also want to know how you set up your deck. As for how to do that (I'm sure you'll notice after playing for a bit, the deck system in your characters lower corner of the screen) I took some screenshots for you in case you don't have the English patch or something:
First, you click Profile. If you don't have the English patch, it's the 2nd one from the bottom, as shown here.
Next, the top option will be "Deck Construction" then you can click the profile you want to edit. "Create New" is two slots under it, if you need it.
The next part is a little self-explanatory (select the character whose deck you will edit) but for the sake of completeness this is what the Deck Construction screen should look like anyways.

You can scroll the lists left, right, up, and down to see all the various cards available to you. A deck consists of exactly 20 cards, with a limit of 4 per card. To remove a card, select it then press confirm, then press left to remove one of it from your deck. Adding cards is just the same, by pressing right instead to add one of it to the deck.

Edit: Oh, and just for reference, when describing moves, the numbers refer to directions. Not sure how familiar you are with that part. So I drew this up for you.

5 is "no direction", "neutral", or whatever you prefer. 6 and 4 are always forward and back, not left and right, so remember that.
"j." means to jump, [Brackets] means to hold the button rather than just pressing it.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 09:31:20 PM by SirBlueberry »

Sahgren

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2013, 09:06:58 PM »
Edit: Oh, and just for reference, when describing moves, the numbers refer to directions. Not sure how familiar you are with that part. So I drew this up for you.

5 is "no direction", "neutral", or whatever you prefer. 6 and 4 are always forward and back, not left and right, so remember that.
"j." means to jump, [Brackets] means to hold the button rather than just pressing it.

Continuing to assume that you don't know what this is (sorry if you do know already!), this is sometimes referred to as numpad notation. You can look at the numpad on a keyboard and imagine that you're in the 1st player position if you're having trouble remembering what the numbers mean.

Edit:
Stringing the numbers together is used to describe motions. For instance, "236A" equates to "press down, down and towards the opponent, then towards the opponent and press the A button in quick succession", a quarter-circle from the bottom to towards the opponent.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2013, 09:35:41 PM »
I've found that the key to enjoying pretty much any fighting game is to find at least one person, but preferably two or three, who are roughly your skill level and just play with them a lot. It doesn't matter if you're terrible if your opponents are terrible, you can still play without getting stomped every time, and it gives you a way to get better at the fundamentals, which can be hard to do just dicking around in practice mode and fighting the computer over and over.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2013, 09:40:40 PM »
Unrelated question to Archin: you say you're a terrible player...how terrible exactly? Do you mind specifying?

I recently just completed PCB on Lunatic for the first time with 1 continue left. I have 1ccd up to IN on hard but I can't anymore. Took to long of a break, I might not actually be bad but I know I can do better, so I feel like I'm terrible. Sorry for the late reply, I haven't been on much.

I'm not an elitist in the slightest when it comes to playing games. Although I would prefer if you would actually play the games, if you take them seriously or not. With the fandom creating so much stuff, its great and can be tons of fun, but all in all. Do play or at least try the games, even if it is on Easy (Although many may give you aot of crap about it), at least your playing or have played.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 09:50:19 PM by Archin »

« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2013, 10:00:43 AM »
Speaking of being bad

Got in Sanae's story mode and couldn't for the life of me get past Reimu's third (?) spellcard when she starts sending out thoses expanding laser squares of graze abuse

I understand that I'm supposed to just graze through the square and hit her all the while but I'm so damn panicky that I can't seem to hit the right buttons when I KNOW what I SHOULD be doing, and sometimes I just use moves I didn't even know I could pull off

(like that Suwako assist, thats actually screwed me over a couple of times by freezing me in the air)

Also why can't I use spellcards myself in this fight ?

Also I seem to be overly trigger happy as in I'll abuse the hell out of danmaku from the other end of the map

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2013, 12:36:28 PM »
I recently just completed PCB on Lunatic for the first time with 1 continue left. I have 1ccd up to IN on hard but I can't anymore. Took to long of a break, I might not actually be bad but I know I can do better, so I feel like I'm terrible. Sorry for the late reply, I haven't been on much.
You call yourself a terrible player yet you are capable of doing something that, by definition, you would need to be a good player to do. I guarantee that you would be able to fly circles around me if we ever competed, and I fancy myself as fairly competent at the games.
The ultimate joke would be making Wriggle an EX Boss, but there being a game-breaking bug in her final spellcard that made it impossible to catch.

Think about it for a second...

Hey all you people who think you're terrible Touhou players
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2013, 12:49:12 PM »
Stop saying that you are terrible at Touhou.

I have been on these forums for almost a month now and the one thing that I keep seeing are people saying that they're terrible at the Touhou STGs.

People who are capable of consistently 1ccing the games on Normal+ difficulty. People who are trying to time out cards that are fiendishly difficult. People who don't start having trouble with Normal difficulty until 90 FPS playspeed. People attempting to No Miss No Bomb clear Lunatic. People who are trying for the world record and are upset because they cleared Lunatic with only five hundred million points.

In short, REALLY GOOD PLAYERS.

Right now, I am terrible at Touhou. I take that back, I just pulled this out of nowhere and while it's still not very good it's a lot better than I usually do when I try that sort of thing. I have difficulty reaching the endgame of all of the STGs on Normal. I can't get past Murasa on any difficulty, even with Credit Feeding. I've only met Remilia once and Flandre never, and the only reason I've gotten to Ran Yakumo at all is because Malkyrian was kind enough to lend me a score file some years back. Granted I am able to consistently reach Mokou with Yuyuko Solo, so I'm not completely terrible but for this community I'm basically that little kid who will never catch up.

This community as a whole is leaps and bounds ahead of your average Touhou player because the average Touhou player is the casual. Hell, I fly circles around casuals because I'm willing to analyze my mistakes and spend time getting better at the games.

tl;dr: YOU ARE NOT A TERRIBLE PLAYER. YOU ARE BETTER THAN MOST OF THE PEOPLE WHO PLAY TOUHOU.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 01:29:49 PM by Raekuul »
The ultimate joke would be making Wriggle an EX Boss, but there being a game-breaking bug in her final spellcard that made it impossible to catch.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2013, 12:55:59 PM »
It's all about the standards.
Before I go any further into explaining exactly what I mean, if you think it's a good run then it's a good run.

Anyway: when I was starting out I didn't think I'd be able to 1cc normal.  So when I eventually did, i thought "wow, that was hard, I don't know how I'm going to top this and do better".  Well, I did, repeatedly.  Looking back at one of my old normal runs (UFO first 1cc comes to mind), it looks really bad by my current standards (I died and bombed a lot and did bad with UFOs, I've done a 2DNBNUFO normal with the same shot since).  So if I were to better my first clear, but still "play badly" and die 5 times or something, I'd be unhappy with the run while someone who hadn't cleared, getting the same run, would be ecstatic.

Just keep at it and you'll be getting hard 1ccs too :)

« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2013, 01:17:39 PM »
That's just it, though. Newbies measure themselves against other peoples' standards because they don't know what to expect, so when they see someone who has been playing for years and is 1cc Lunatic capable calling themself terrible they think that they're just wasting everybody's time by saying "Hey I finally got past Chen without dying", and their standards never develop. It's one thing to say "This run was terrible for me", it's another thing entirely to say "I am a terrible player because this run was terrible"

And believe me when I say I'll be ecstatic when I can get to Yuyuko with a decent stock and not having continued yet on Normal.

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2013, 01:38:59 PM »
This is strange.... Arguments  like "Which are more important ? Primaries or secondaries? " are seen everywhere.
Why do people hurt each other :ohdear:?

« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2013, 01:41:13 PM »
So uh...

When you peoples say  1cc when refferring to Hisoutensoku...

Do you mean:

Go through it all without being KO'd once ?

or do you mean

You don't use a continue (as in get KO'd 3/4 times) ?

Because huh...
I restarted afresh on Sanae's story and...
well kinda got past suwako, that is before I got TKO'd in that sky fight sorta bit

Then again I couldn't even see my Health bar anymore when that started...

But what would that classify as ?

I mean I didn't get a Game over screen

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2013, 01:45:13 PM »
1cc=1 credit clear, so going through without using any continues.
Failing a last spell in IN doesn't invalidate a 1cc, and this is that kind of thing.

Cheez8

• Derp Imminent
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2013, 03:48:37 PM »
Yeah, a 1cc lets you get KO'd a couple times as long as you don't actually get a Game Over screen. I'm pretty sure Suwako's sky phase thing is a bonus, so... from the sound of things, you just barely got through Sanae's story without a continue! Good going. That took you a lot less time than I remember it took me.
Someday, I'll have a clue what I'm doing.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2013, 03:56:17 PM »
Indeed, failing the last spell in Hisoutensoku doesn't lose you the 1cc. I think it used to, but it doesn't now. The same however cannot be said for IaMP or SWR, so watch out.

By the way, if you're aiming to just beat story mode, my tip is not to learn the mechanics of competitive play; story mode requires a different mindset than normal play, and the most optimal way to win is to find a couple move that are both easy to pull off (especially if you're like me and screw up button inputs), and do a lot of damage. The AI is not terribly smart or reactive, especially during spell cards, so learning the best attack for the individual situation is more important than being skilled in general. For example, I beat Sanae's story mode just by spamming her 236 star spam and 22C star attack, with a single spell card thrown in to take out a particularly nasty Utsuho spell card, and beat Meiling's story mode by mostly relying on a similar skill set.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2013, 05:00:33 PM »
Similarly, if your goal is to play against people, story mode isn't going to teach you too much. The skillsets don't cross over that much. I guess if you're really terrible at fighting games you can get basic "how to move and do inputs" practice out of story mode, but beyond that they're pretty different. No reason you can't learn both (or just one if you want), but being good at one won't directly translate to knowing what to do in the other.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2013, 08:22:31 PM »
Okay so

It seems I just 1cc Cirno's story
It seems the whole trick with this one is "Don't charge, just shoot"

« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2013, 10:01:02 PM »
You call yourself a terrible player yet you are capable of doing something that, by definition, you would need to be a good player to do. I guarantee that you would be able to fly circles around me if we ever competed, and I fancy myself as fairly competent at the games.
I call myself a terrible player because I rate myself with high standards. It encourages me to do better, since I know I can do better and I know that I can improve. I may be considered a good player in the eyes of newer players, but to me I can do alot better. I don't consider myself terrible with 1 or 2 runs but as a whole. If I get a terrible run, yes I know it is terrible but even my good or very good runs to me are still terrible with silly mistakes or whatever.

It's all about the standards.
Before I go any further into explaining exactly what I mean, if you think it's a good run then it's a good run.
Exactly, I rate myself with players who have been playing for years and have put in way more time into the games then I have. This helps encourage me because if they can do it, so can I.

That's just it, though. Newbies measure themselves against other peoples' standards because they don't know what to expect, so when they see someone who has been playing for years and is 1cc Lunatic capable calling themselves terrible they think that they're just wasting everybody's time by saying "Hey I finally got past Chen without dying", and their standards never develop. It's one thing to say "This run was terrible for me", it's another thing entirely to say "I am a terrible player because this run was terrible"
I did this when I started playing, when I was a newer player I rated myself against players not only 1ccing Lunatic but getting extremely high scores. Heartbeam was one of my favorite runners and I admired his work, and after just about every run he would claim how terrible he or his run was. It didn't discourage me though, I wanted to compete or become as good as he was, despite him saying how terrible he was. With newer players, they need to come forward with their achievements despite what the pros say, I know it is discourage and think that your wasting peoples time just by saying. "I FINALLY REACHED YUYUKO ON NORMAL!!" when you have players who are yelling that they perfected whatever stage on lunatic. Just because someone claims they are terrible, they are looking at it within their own standards.

I was even discourage when I started out, I didn't want to post my achievements because I would barely clear a game on normal while the other players would be cheering how they 1cc'd games on Lunatic. I felt my achievements were nothing compared what some were achieving. It is one reason why I don't even go on the achievement thread, though I want to encourage players to post their achievements no matter how minor it may be. It is still special to you.

Drake

Re: Hey all you people who think you're terrible Touhou players
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2013, 11:46:10 PM »
Stop saying that you are terrible at Touhou.

I have been on these forums for almost a month now and the one thing that I keep seeing are people saying that they're terrible at the Touhou STGs.

People who are capable of consistently 1ccing the games on Normal+ difficulty. People who are trying to time out cards that are fiendishly difficult. People who don't start having trouble with Normal difficulty until 90 FPS playspeed. People attempting to No Miss No Bomb clear Lunatic. People who are trying for the world record and are upset because they cleared Lunatic with only five hundred million points.

In short, REALLY GOOD PLAYERS.

Right now, I am terrible at Touhou. I take that back, I just pulled this out of nowhere and while it's still not very good it's a lot better than I usually do when I try that sort of thing. I have difficulty reaching the endgame of all of the STGs on Normal. I can't get past Murasa on any difficulty, even with Credit Feeding. I've only met Remilia once and Flandre never, and the only reason I've gotten to Ran Yakumo at all is because Malkyrian was kind enough to lend me a score file some years back. Granted I am able to consistently reach Mokou with Yuyuko Solo, so I'm not completely terrible but for this community I'm basically that little kid who will never catch up.

This community as a whole is leaps and bounds ahead of your average Touhou player because the average Touhou player is the casual. Hell, I fly circles around casuals because I'm willing to analyze my mistakes and spend time getting better at the games.

tl;dr: YOU ARE NOT A TERRIBLE PLAYER. YOU ARE BETTER THAN MOST OF THE PEOPLE WHO PLAY TOUHOU.
It's funny, you have the same issue another guy on shmups forum was talking about just yesterday. I guess I'll copypaste my answer.

Whenever a player says they suck, it is never from an absolute reference frame. It's from the frame where they're comparing themselves to whatever is above them and what they personally think they should be able to accomplish. When you don't achieve that usually-lofty standard (which is often), you get "wow I suck" because the player expects themselves to be able to not die on certain patterns, or be able to keep a chain going, or achieve some certain score, or whatever. It doesn't matter whether or not you're new or you're at WR tier; half of the issue here is that the better you are the more critical you will be of your more minute failures, whereas newer players are more concentrated on their overall ability to do anything at all. There is a clash between what they mean by "I suck" and what you think "I suck" means that needs to be understood when you're in the midst of a community of players who are mostly better than you.

The fact of the matter is nobody intends to make newer players feel bad, and more importantly it has nothing to do with any other players at all. It's easily understandable why you would think that better players casually saying they suck is somewhat esteem-dropping when you compare their play to yours, and it isn't immediately obvious to new players that they're only talking about some completely relative standard that they're comparing themselves to. There aren't any signs anywhere saying "RELATIVE TO WHAT I THINK I SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO". Hopefully after it's pointed out what they actually mean when they say "I'm so bad at this game", you'll stop perceiving the personal over-standards of other people as something for you to compare yourself to.

You don't have the proper context. If you were totally aware that people saying "derp I suck" is generally about their own play relative to more of their own play, then saying you feel super conscious about your not-as-good play is like, "well stop that". You're inserting yourself into others' frame of reference and it would be only your own fault for feeling bad about it.

To make a very apt comparison, this happens notably in the speedrunning community as well. But, not by the people who speedrun; the people who are watching the speedruns and have no experience with it themselves. You come in to watch a game you've probably played before, maybe a long time ago, and see all these incredible skills and control and amazing glitches being taken advantage of to create this astoundingly great performance. Then, as you watch with wide eyes and wonder, the runner resets the game and says he's bad at the game. You're simultaneously awestruck and frustrated because clearly, this person is not bad at the game. Them saying they're bad at the game tugs at your own self-esteem because you were nowhere near as good when you played. But really, this has nothing to do with you at all, this has to do with the standards of not only the speedrunner, but the level of competition that they're at. If they mess up a trick that costs them time, that is usually relatively easy to them, then of course they're going to think poorly of that, because what matters is their perspective and the perspective of their peers, not yours. Without the context of speedrunning and the level of play they're at, you're bound to feel bad. But if you watch for a while and learn what tricks are what and how things are done throughout the run, which spots are considered easy and which are hard, that gives you context, and you stop comparing your own play to theirs. You even start pointing out where they messed up, even though you wouldn't ever get anywhere close yourself. This is exactly that.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 12:14:10 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
Re: Hey all you people who think you're terrible Touhou players
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2013, 08:58:27 AM »
To make a very apt comparison, this happens notably in the speedrunning community as well.
This is 100% true, though it can be mitigated somewhat for people watching if you have splits on the side-losing time means you've done better, people can wonder HOW you've done better because it looked amazing just there, but there's proof right there that there were errors in that stretch.  With accomplishment posts...there's never any frame of reference, unless one is given.

Drake

« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2013, 09:53:15 AM »
An "accomplishment" post is pretty much required to be a personal improvement, so it's completely implied. The same goes for failure posts. The only question is how large the improvement or failure was from that person's expectations. The whole context is generally in the posts themselves; that's why people can make sense of the threads in the first place.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2013, 10:03:01 PM »
An "accomplishment" post is pretty much required to be a personal improvement, so it's completely implied. The same goes for failure posts. The only question is how large the improvement or failure was from that person's expectations. The whole context is generally in the posts themselves; that's why people can make sense of the threads in the first place.
It's true that most accomplishments posts are based on personal improvement, though accomplishment threads are created to allow players to share their success and have fellow members cheer them on as they improve, as well failure threads to have lots of lawls and get advice. Yet I'm not one who likes to share my accomplishments, since they are mostly for personal gain. Though it wouldn't hurt to cheer on others who are improving their own play.

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2013, 11:26:03 PM »
I am tempted every single day to play rougelikes, which is suck at because I hoard items and never use them effectively, and I tend to rely on my natural skills (with weapons or spells or whatever), and because those are rougelikes, it's never quite enough for me to succeed. Also I don't really know "how to run when things go south" fast enough, which usually leads me to scramble for an escape item at 10% HP.

I've been getting slightly better by playing Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, but out of about 1000 games played, I've only won once.

I like playing needlessly complex games I don't understand too, like Civ and Dwarf Fortress.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 11:32:54 PM by NekoNekoRex »
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2013, 11:31:04 PM »
Nethack is a great example of this. I've been playing on alt.org a lot, and find myself going back to Tourist, again and again, although somewhere around 7 or so things start going haywire. I don't know why. But I'm trying different approaches to make it more fun and actually watching games (when people move, that is).

Dwarf Fortress I just recently got back into. Even leaving the wiki open it's still quite a challenge. I guess part of the encouragement is round a corner and being able to advance, do something right after much practice, think of a new approach and so on.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2013, 11:46:38 PM »
IMO Dwarf Fortress isn't really hard to play once you get the hang of the GUI, it's more about deciding what to do with your dwarves once you have more of them then you can bother to manage, and trying to figure out "what the hell do I do now?"

I'm playing a pretty average fort and most of my time goes into thinking about the layout and figuring out how much stuff to make and trade for.
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2013, 02:38:52 PM »
If you are horrible it means you can only get better, I am horrible at Touhou (new and can only pass on normal XD)  but that means I can only get better,
 right?