Author Topic: Touhou Doumeiju ~ Mystical Power Plant Translation Project  (Read 72479 times)

TheTeff007

• Best Touhou 2015!
  • So much cuteness...!
    • Youtube Channel
Touhou Doumeiju ~ Mystical Power Plant Translation Project
« on: September 17, 2013, 11:13:15 PM »
Upd: MPP translation patch 0.90 - check this post: http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,15589.msg1039652.html#msg1039652

Hello Everyone.

I guess some of you know (and maybe already played) about Mystical Power Plant which is a quite good fan-made script for Danmakufu ph3 created this summer by ido. Personally I liked this game a lot and consider (in my humble opinion) to be almost on pair with some oficial touhou games.
Like most of Danmakufu scripts, this game is done in Japanese. While the knowledge of the language isn't critical to enjoy touhou-like games, it's still good if you can understand the story and other things.
So I think this game deserves to be played in English. Teff007 (me) and Necrotek decided to do our best to make this wish real. But there is an issue - none of us knows Japanese, and wiki still lacks translation of some essential parts of the game (extra stages and remaining endings, to be precise). We're grateful to those people who did their best to translate the game (even if it wasn't intended to be used for actual game translation patch) but we'd like to make a pretty much complete English translation patch.
So this is it. We're asking for your help to make it real! If you have some free time and skills in Japanese, especially if you're interested in this game, please lend us your skills to translate remaining parts of the game. We, and I think other people, would appreciate your help to finish translation patch.

Here some old pictrures of the translation. I hope you liked them.

Let's do it!  :3
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 09:56:27 PM by Teff007 »
Small Teaser of my upcoming project~

No need to call me Teff007. Teff will do just as well~

Re: Touhou Doumeiju ~ Mystical Power Plant Translation Project
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 03:01:17 AM »
Glad to see somebody working on this! It may help to put the actual text that you want translated up in some way, shape or form so that whoever volunteers doesn't have to go sifting through the game files. I haven't poked around the innards of this one yet, but if the files are organized anything like The Last Comer's then what you need shouldn't be hard to find. This looks great so far, so I hope you're able to find some help to get it finished! Good luck!

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
  • Git ready, git set, PUUSH!
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 03:11:01 AM »
I'm pretty good at finding where files are located, but I lack graphical and language skills, so I don't think I'll be much help.

TheTeff007

• Best Touhou 2015!
  • So much cuteness...!
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 06:40:27 AM »
Well, Necroteck has located all the files and stuff, we mostly need translating of the wiki, since Google doesn't help as much. Translating the other characters routes will help as well so this thing get's done faster. I believe MariByaku and SanaKana Normal Routes are already translated, so we could begin with that. ReiOkuu route is completely translated.

Image editing would be also nice. Thankfully, Necroteck figured out how the Balloon Text funcion works and he managed to do the In-game text, as you cansee with Tenmu.

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 08:35:47 AM »
Originally, I wanted to include those links and other useful information in the first post but it was already quite long (I wish this forum had proper spoiler tag so I could hide some parts of the text). Anyway, take a look at these pages:

Extra:
http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Mystical_Power_Plant/Story/Reimu_and_Utsuho's_Extra (translated and reviewed)
http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Mystical_Power_Plant/Story/Marisa_and_Byakuren's_Extra (translated and reviewed)
http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Mystical_Power_Plant/Story/Sanae_and_Kanako's_Extra (translated and reviewed)

Endings:
http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Mystical_Power_Plant/Story/Marisa_and_Byakuren's_Bad_Ending (not translated)
http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Mystical_Power_Plant/Story/Marisa_and_Byakuren's_Good_Ending (not translated)
http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Mystical_Power_Plant/Story/Sanae_and_Kanako's_Bad_Ending (not translated)
http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Mystical_Power_Plant/Story/Sanae_and_Kanako's_Good_Ending (not translated)

These you can find pretty much the whole text which is left at this moment (if we ignore comments which I don't really expect to be translated :)).
Talking of Balloon Text function, I made my own version of this function which has some benefits which original one didn't have.
Just now I noticed that it's better to write "only #51 is a must at this moment" so no one would think that "51" is amount of spellcards :) We need to make a shorter version of Cherry Sign "Gleaming Array of Double-Flowered Reverse Umeboshi Crests" which is too long to use.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 02:33:32 PM by Vectorfish »
Would be glad to get help with Touhou Doumeiju ~ Mystical Power Plant Translation Project spellcard comments' translation.

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 07:27:11 PM »
Image editing would be also nice. Thankfully, Necroteck figured out how the Balloon Text funcion works and he managed to do the In-game text, as you cansee with Tenmu.

What sort of image editing? If it's just text images I might be able to help out there, but your first post makes it look like you guys have got the majority of that down pretty well.
For the spell cards... yeah that really is longer than anything I had to deal with in TLC. And here I thought Winter Flurry Sign "Saw Hidden Among Tree Leaves" was bad. Maybe try a more narrow font?

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 07:53:01 PM »
Images... For example, the way I did boss titles (take a look at screenshot with Tenmu) is quite bad. The same for music. Or difficulty images (the font I used is too small and difficult to read because I had to fit all necessary text).
Using more narrow font... there is a issue about available fonts. The problem is that Applocale (which is used by a lot of people) doesn't like a lot of fonts (it means that if I try to use "wrong" font, the game will replace it with some other one) and I don't know exactly which ones are fine for Applocale and which are not (majority of fonts I tried are "wrong"). And Danmakufu ph3 doesn't work without Applocale (unlike 0.12) if the game contains Japanese text (at least I was said that in related topic on this forum); of course, it will work fine if you run it under Japanese locale but I'm not sure how many people use Japanese locale instead their native one. So, until I find a way to run the game in non-Japanese locale, I have quite a narrow variety of possible fonts.
Would be glad to get help with Touhou Doumeiju ~ Mystical Power Plant Translation Project spellcard comments' translation.

TheTeff007

• Best Touhou 2015!
  • So much cuteness...!
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 09:09:58 PM »
shortening the names of some spellcards will help too. For Example, we managed to reduce the name of one of Mitama's spells from (Self Performance "Impossible to Dispatch Tang Dinatsy Reinforcements due to Thunderstorm")  to (Self Performance "Thunderstorm Blockade of Tang Dinasty Support")

...the spellcard names in this game are quite a mouthful...

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 09:12:44 PM »
Ah, I was assuming that the spell card names were all images.  That certainly complicates things.
For the images, were you just looking for something a bit fancier? I'll see if I can mock up something and post it in a bit.

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 09:16:52 PM »
For Example, we managed to reduce the name of one of Mitama's spells from (Self Performance "Impossible to Dispatch Tang Dinatsy Reinforcements due to Thunderstorm")  to (Self Performance "Thunderstorm Blockade of Tang Dinasty Support")
To be precise, Self Performance "Thunderstorm Blockade of Tang Dynasty Assist"  :3 But yeah, it's still nice to shorten other long spellcards too.

I think it's good to make images in such a way that it uses stylistically similar font (if it's possible) and layout and is easy to read (unlike boss titles I did).
I uploaded images which deserve to be redone most of all and included cleaned images for team descriptions and staff roll images (not for editing, at least for now because we don't have translation but to identify what is the font which was used there; I definitely want to use the same one to keep same style with original English text). You can find those images here.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 10:12:29 PM by Vectorfish »

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2013, 10:27:34 PM »
Hmmm... Looking at these images it appears I don't have the most recent version of MPP... I'll have to fix that.
Anyhow, I'll start with the boss cards. How's this look for a start? I tried to make it look more like the surrounding text, though perhaps you'd prefer it to look more like her English name? Let me know.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 10:30:23 PM by WanderingShadow »

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2013, 10:34:28 PM »
Actually it looks significantly better than mine, the style is nice. Personally I like it. Though I'm not sure about putting new line between Japanese ones. Teff007, what do you think?

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2013, 10:36:26 PM »
Can I edit the wiki and put the translation there? My english isn't so good, neither my japanese but I think that I can help with TL or reviews when I have some free time.
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2013, 10:37:59 PM »
Of course, go ahead! It's still better than nothing and maybe your translation will be quite good.

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2013, 10:40:41 PM »
It's just as easy (actually easier) for me to put it above everything like you did originally, or I can put the title directly above the English name. You guys are doing the hard part, so whatever you think looks best is fine.

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2013, 10:44:46 PM »
I think it's trivial to change position later so feel free to put it wherever you want. If it's possible, use *.psd, *.xcf.gz or other similar layer-oriented image formats so it was easier to adapt it.

TheTeff007

• Best Touhou 2015!
  • So much cuteness...!
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2013, 11:55:35 PM »
I don't think is necessary for the Boss Cards to have the original japanese title above. I mean,not even the original games do that, but looks cool nonetheless.

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2013, 04:41:58 AM »
Just about done with the boss titles, but one more question: I noticed a lot of the Japanese names (like Riko Toone) are done in the last first format (Toone Riko) while the English names are done in the first, last format (Michel Saint'Angelo). Is this a normal thing or should I change them all to first, last?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 05:43:35 AM by WanderingShadow »

TheTeff007

• Best Touhou 2015!
  • So much cuteness...!
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2013, 05:24:00 AM »
Yes, that's a normal thing. In Riko's case, since she is heavely based on the RPG series AR Tonelico (Her last spell has the same name, actually), leaving her name as it is now kind of references said game. Just use the Last First for Japanese and First Last for English.

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2013, 05:44:25 AM »
Gotcha. One of these days I'll stop modding the games and actually get around to playing a few.
Anyhow...
Here's the new enemy title images: http://www.mediafire.com/?kk47zb1ssymid4p
I included multiple variants in both .png and .pdn (layered paint.net) format, as well as stand-alone versions of the titles so you can play with them on your own if you like.
I'll look at the rest a bit later. Gotta get back to the TLC dialog.

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2013, 07:46:49 AM »
I don't think is necessary for the Boss Cards to have the original japanese title above. I mean,not even the original games do that, but looks cool nonetheless.
Yep, I think it's looks kind of cool that way so why not if it's possible, right?

Reimu and Utsuho's extra story finished, requesting someone to review it.
Nice! I'll give it a try to check with my non-native English skills :) But without Japanese skills I can't do it well. Can anyone check it too?
Upd: oh, Flan27 already did a review. I think it looks good at this moment so I'll add current revision to the game.
Upd2: done, Reimu Team Extra is added.

Gotcha. One of these days I'll stop modding the games and actually get around to playing a few.
Anyhow...
Here's the new enemy title images: http://www.mediafire.com/?kk47zb1ssymid4p
I included multiple variants in both .png and .pdn (layered paint.net) format, as well as stand-alone versions of the titles so you can play with them on your own if you like.
I'll look at the rest a bit later. Gotta get back to the TLC dialog.
Good job, really! Can't decide which version is better, with original Japanese line included or not. For now I prefer to include Japanese line because I prefer to preserve original, we still have one Japanese one already (so why not two in that case) and in my opinion it looks more impressive with both English and Japanese versions.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 12:40:59 PM by Vectorfish »

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2013, 09:31:15 PM »
Nice, Flan27 translated remaining music comments (well, almost now it's really done) :)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 06:08:27 AM by Vectorfish »

Lukesky180

• Knight of the Hungry Ghost
  • Yuyuko-sama!
    • HSE-Endeavor's Robotics Team
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2013, 09:36:58 PM »
So does anyone know when we can expect a release?  :D
>This is the little mistress.
>Oh, hello little one!
Is this my dream, the destiny to behold?
~Sister of Scarlet~

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2013, 09:44:38 PM »
It depends on how fast we can collect remaining translated parts (take a look at bold lines of the list in the first post). Because not me nor Teff007 have skills in Japanese, it solely depends on you guys :)
Technically, I can post intermediate revisions but personally I'd like not to do it. The reason is that I'd like the release version to be tested by as many people as it's possible. If someone plays an unfinished version, the chance that he will try next version is quite low. But if someone feels that he can test the game many times and would like to do it - send me a message.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 09:47:16 PM by Vectorfish »

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2013, 06:06:40 AM »
Just a quick note. Even though most of the work left to be done is text translation (and partially images), there is still something that can be done to make this translation better. While I believe that translated text on wiki (stages and endings, check them here) is quite good, I have a feeling that there could be issues with mistypes or proper punctuation, or maybe some things could be phrased better. So it'd be nice if someone could make a review of existing translation (how much - it depends on your free time and will to help :)). It's better to fix them before than after release.

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2013, 08:23:22 AM »
So you have your staff role included in the image files you wanted me to touch up. Do you have the translations for these? I'm pretty sure that most of the same folks that worked on this worked on TLC, so I'm going to try and make both of their text art at once.

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2013, 08:35:54 AM »
Actually, not yet. But yeah, I guess it's possible to guess the translation on most of them, partially using TLC, partially using GT or something like this. I'll try to check it too. But, like I said, I included Staff Roll only in case someone wants to try to find out the name of the font (I think, it's preferable to use the same one in this case). I know where I can ask and likely to get an answer but I prefer not to overuse this method if it's possible :)

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2013, 11:26:33 AM »
Ok, I added a page for Staff Roll translation (not sure if I captured the text properly) and I'll try to make some kind of translation of it using GT though it's a bad idea. Well, let's see what I'll get.

Upd: ok, attempt of raw translation is done. I think it's fine for now but there are 2-3 lines which I'm not sure about.
WanderingShadow, could you take a look at Difficulty and Team images? These ones are the most complicated at this moment because of small size.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 12:40:20 PM by Vectorfish »

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2013, 01:35:34 PM »
Today I am planning to translate the Marisa and Byakuren's Extra, wait warmly.

Also I think that there is a little TL error on Reimu's extra scenario. What makes more sense, "Diva Who Sends a Far-Off Sound" or "Diva Who Reaches a Far-Off Sound". In my native language it is common to say that you can reach high-pitches when singing. According to Wiki, Riko's title is "遠き音を届ける歌姫"

届く(todoku) means "to reach" and its potential form is 届ける (todokeru) that means "it can reach", but according to the dictionary 届ける also means "to send", so I am confused :x
( ゆっくりしていってね)>