Author Topic: Weird-ass crashes  (Read 1730 times)

RNG

• Lord of all that Bullshits
Weird-ass crashes
« on: April 05, 2013, 03:35:23 AM »
Background: I recently got a new graphics card. Prior to that I'd been running Touhou off motherboard graphics, mostly, and it's mostly run at full FPS with a few drops on the miko fight in 10d and ichirin's midboss non in ufo. The card is a shitty off-brand (an XFX ONE with ATI Radeon 5450 chip to be precise) but it was a substantial improvement over my previous setup benchmark-wise. We installed the drivers and all seemed to be well.

Problems:

With this new card there's been lots of frame-drop especially at the very start of stage 1 in any of the games (I've checked EoSD through SA) but the fps counter still reads 60. The stutter pretty much renders the game unplayable.

The frame-drop is fixed if I start in windowed and maximise it, but in that case there's another odd bug. In SA, the spell results screen will tell me that my "actual time" to complete the card was 0.01 seconds. This of course makes my replays look really non-legitimate.

At times the games will crash randomly if I run them with VSync. When they crash (this generally occurs within the first 2 stages) there's no error message or "thxx.exe has stopped working" window. To make things even stranger, after these crashes the vsync.exe totally disappears.

Nobody I've talked to, on IRC or in real life, knows what the hell is causing this. I've tried disabling and removing the graphics card but that doesn't seem to help. Any tips?

redlakitu

Re: Weird-ass crashes
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 10:26:55 AM »
I've tried disabling and removing the graphics card but that doesn't seem to help. Any tips?
Do you mean in the Device Manager? Or by uninstalling the drivers? Or physically removing the card from the motherboard?

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 01:20:10 PM »
Random thoughts:

1. Did you install the card yourself? Might you have not inserted it all the way properly, or accidently mucked something up inside?

2. Could it be that ATI cards aren't compatible with Touhou games? (Unlikely)

3. Could it be that this particular XFX card is a faulty one? Try exchanging it or get a refund.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 01:23:52 PM by akj »

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 04:45:00 PM »
Definitely not to do with ATI cards. I've got a (horrible) Radeon x600 in my system and it plays through the games just fine with no problems. I'm betting something's wrong with your card or the drivers.
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>