Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 12)  (Read 43808 times)

(Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 12)
« on: February 01, 2013, 10:43:02 PM »
>You are Nazrin, a newly inducted member of the Seeker's Guild, and you are dying. And while you finally hold one element of a cure in your hands, your hope that it is enough may be fading.

>Your career got off to an interesting and busy start last week, between stolen cats, missing cattle, and sword-wielding fairies, but things took a much darker turn when an encounter with a wild spider youkai left you infected with a mysterious and deadly illness. Thanks to Minoriko's creative thinking and the power of an ancient sword found buried in the spider's lair, the Blight has been kept at bay. For now. But you were told you had no more than a couple weeks to live unless a cure could be found, and one of them has already passed.

>Your search for this cure has been a long and frustrating road. You could find little useful information about your affliction or its treatment in Braston, so you sought passage to Val Razua in the hope that its Grand Academy might house the information you desperately require. While the journey was marred by a bloody and near-disastrous struggle with tengu pirates that resulted in the Blue Maiden's defeat and the capture of a curious relic it had been transporting in secret, you still arrived in Val Razua more or less on schedule and in one piece.

>Fortunately, some of your hopes were realized when you discovered a passage, buried in the rare books collection of the Voile Magisterial Library, describing a medicinal mixture which can cure 'the ragged blackening of the veins'. Unfortunately, after consulting with a knowledgeable but somewhat incoherent professor of herbalism, you have learned that bittercress blossoms, a critical ingredient of this mixture, occur only once every seven years and are not due for another three. Hoping that the blessed soil Minoriko gave you might hold the key to obtaining these rare blooms, you acquired some bittercress seeds from a nursery in Val Razua and planted them within it. The effects were dramatic and only a couple hours later you were holding a full and bushy plant where just before had been only seeds and empty soil. Worrisome, though several more hours have passed now, the plant has shown no sign whatsoever of flowering.

>While waiting for your bittercress to bloom, you decided to search further into your sword's origins and powers at small Shinto shrine you passed while canvassing the nurseries. There you unexpectedly bumped into Kyouko, the helpful youkai who assisted you in the Grand Academy's Divinations department earlier that day. You found yourself surprisingly taken by the cheerful yamabiko, and small talk led to storytelling and then to dinner and drinks, and now the two of you are walking back to her place, where you plan to spend the night.

>Presently, the somewhat inebriated youkai is crouched at your side, examining Kumokirimaru's sheath from almost comically close range.

>"I had to catch the first ferry out of town. Didn't think that'd end up being the Maiden at the time, but I didn't have days to wait for a nicer sheathe to be made."

>"Somethin' to do with that plant you need to delivery?" she asks, poking the bottom of the pot with her finger.

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 12)
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 07:32:11 AM »
>"Partly. More like.... The sooner I left, the sooner I could get back."

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 07:52:23 AM »
>"Partly. More like.... The sooner I left, the sooner I could get back."

>"Get back to what?" she asks.

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 08:01:19 AM »
>"Get back home, to see how things turned out with the spiders."
>"And to the woman who wanted the potion, of course."

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 08:06:32 AM »
>"Get back home, to see how things turned out with the spiders."
>"And to the woman who wanted the potion, of course."

>"Oh, the spiders. Right."
>Kyouko nods, then gives the bottom of your pot another poke and giggles.

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 08:26:20 AM »
>"It's a professional pride to get a job done as fast as possible. The personal stake doesn't hurt, either."
>If she looks about to poke it again, wince. "Please. I kinda need that pot as un-poked as possible."

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 08:34:14 AM »
>"It's a professional pride to get a job done as fast as possible. The personal stake doesn't hurt, either."
>If she looks about to poke it again, wince. "Please. I kinda need that pot as un-poked as possible."

>Kyouko nods again. "Uh huh."
>Fearing that she may be about to poke your planter for a third time, you wince and warn her off. She looks up at you with an apologetic frown. "Oh. Sorry." Then she leans around and pokes the back of your knee instead, scrambling back to her feet amid another fit of giggling.

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 09:02:10 AM »
>Of course you realize THIS. Means war.
>Employ our tail to brush the back of her leg.

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 09:29:07 AM »
>Of course you realize THIS. Means war.
>Employ our tail to brush the back of her leg.

>You decide that turnabout is fair play and bring your tail quickly around as Kyouko tries to right herself. Her ears perk straight up and she lets out a squeak the moment you brush the tip against the back of her leg then stumbles backwards again. Her arms flail about in a dubious attempt to keep from toppling over, though she is still giggling as she starts to tumble.

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 10:06:05 AM »
>Well, that'll teach her not to poke a mouse's legs, or her flowerpot.
>On the other hand, faceplants onto city streets aren't necessarily all that pleasant. So reach out and snag her hand.

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 10:18:34 AM »
>Well, that'll teach her not to poke a mouse's legs, or her flowerpot.
>On the other hand, faceplants onto city streets aren't necessarily all that pleasant. So reach out and snag her hand.

>You reach out to grab the stumbling yamabiko's hand - a task greatly complicated by the spastic movement of her arms. But you thrust out determinedly and seize fast the moment your fingers find a hint of purchase. And almost get her other hand upside your head for your troubles. Your heroic act doesn't entirely save her from contact with the ground, as the side of her body which you're not supporting falls limp, but it is a lighter impact than it might have been.
>Kyouko looks up at you with lazy eyes and a contented smile. "Thanks, Nazrin!" Then, as if she is finding something on your face extremely amusing, stifles a renewed round of giggling.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 03:48:22 PM »
>Sheesh, kid's a handful when drunk. Let's pull her back upright.
>"Up you go."
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 03:04:32 AM »
>Sheesh, kid's a handful when drunk. Let's pull her back upright.
>"Up you go."

>You shift your grip on Kyouko's arm and help her upright again.
>"Up I go!" she says, doing little to assist your efforts to pull her back to her feet, though she finds purchase well enough once vertical, wobbling only a little. "You're pretty nimble!"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 03:26:05 AM »
>"Well, you have to be in this line of work."
>Make sure she's steady before letting her go.

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, 03:37:19 AM »
>"Well, you have to be in this line of work."
>Make sure she's steady before letting her go.

>"Do you catch a lot of falling people, then?" she asks.
>You wait a moment to make sure she's got her footing, then let go of her. She takes a wide stretch, rising up a little on her toes then back again, but manages to remain stable.

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2013, 03:52:29 AM »
>"Only when the need arises. I'm a fetcher by trade, after all, not a catcher."

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2013, 04:00:44 AM »
>"Only when the need arises. I'm a fetcher by trade, after all, not a catcher."

>"A fetcher, not a catcher," she says, then fixes you with a sterner look. Or at least tries - the effect on her visibly amused face is hard to take seriously. "But if you make me fall over again, you better catch me again, too!"

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2013, 04:18:21 AM »
>Figured you'd like the sound of that one.
>Crack a grin. "Deal."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2013, 05:10:02 AM »
>"Does this mean you want me to knock you over some more?"
>Swish tail a bit for emphasis.

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2013, 05:58:54 AM »
>Figured you'd like the sound of that one.
>Crack a grin. "Deal."

>Kyouko's smile mirrors your own. "Deal!"

>"Does this mean you want me to knock you over some more?"
>Swish tail a bit for emphasis.

>Then you decide to tease her a little, swishing your trail through the air for emphasis.
>The yamabiko's grin narrows impishly. "You can try!"
>Then without further delay, she lunges and playfully jabs the sides of your ribs with both index fingers at once, then starts to twist and dash away from you.

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2013, 06:41:05 AM »
>Smirk. Oh you're in for it now.
>Take a half-dash forward- Skid to a halt.
>"Maybe later, Kyouko-chan. I'd hate to drop my plant, after all."

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2013, 07:18:19 AM »
>Smirk. Oh you're in for it now.
>Take a half-dash forward- Skid to a halt.
>"Maybe later, Kyouko-chan. I'd hate to drop my plant, after all."

>You smirk and start to chase after the mirthful girl, fully intent on delivering twice as good as you get, but then the weight of the precious cargo in your hand pulls you back. You stop.
>Kyouko is already several feet away by the time you call out to her, dashing with surprising balance given the flush in her cheeks. There is a slight lag before your comment seems to register, but then she comes to a halt as well.
>"Oh." She turns back to you with a dispirited look on her face. "Right. Sorry."

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2013, 10:24:10 AM »
>Killjoy? Maybe. But there'll be plenty of time for fun later.
>Place a hand on her shoulder and grin. "But don't think there won't be a next time."

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2013, 10:29:34 AM »
>Killjoy? Maybe. But there'll be plenty of time for fun later.
>Place a hand on her shoulder and grin. "But don't think there won't be a next time."

>You walk up to the saddened-looking girl and put a hand on her shoulder, then grin. She seems to brighten a little at your words.
>"I'd like that."

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2013, 10:43:22 AM »
>"That's better."
>... crap, we said that out loud.

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2013, 10:48:41 AM »
>"That's better."
>... crap, we said that out loud.

>"What's better?" she asks with an innocent smile, leaving you feeling more than a little self-conscious at your expressing the sentiment aloud.

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2013, 11:18:55 AM »
>Mutter, "...Never mind."

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2013, 11:21:18 AM »
>Mutter, "...Never mind."

>Kyouko looks at you blankly with those wide green eyes of hers, then her head droops to the side slightly. "Huh?"

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2013, 11:46:49 AM »
>Continue on the way we were going.
>And say quietly (damn her eyes) "You look better when you smile."

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2013, 11:55:14 AM »
>Continue on the way we were going.
>And say quietly (damn her eyes) "You look better when you smile."

>You continue onward, not wanting to be looking Kyouko in the face when you - begrudgingly - admit that you enjoy her smile.
>"Awww... Thank you!" she replies immediately (damn her hearing, too). "I like it when you smile too, Nazrin!"