Author Topic: Din's Curse, the delightfully crazy Diablo-clone on drugs.  (Read 2207 times)

Paul Debrion

• Highroller
  • Back again for more!
Din's Curse, the delightfully crazy Diablo-clone on drugs.
« on: August 23, 2012, 04:37:13 PM »
I started getting a sinking feeling when I realized that named mob I didn't bother killing on level 4 of the dungeon had moved up to become the boss of level 9, and was sending scouts up to the town and planning to sent an attack to the surface.
This was the last thing I needed as much of town was suffering from the plague, and more townsfolk were getting it one by one. The water and food supplies was poisoned by some random jackass from town who must have hated everything. Merchant prices were high due to terrible supply situation.
The town Warmaster in charge of town defense was very angry with life, and was picking fights with random citizens and causing trouble. Right before the attack came, the Warmaster left town.
The attack resulted in further worsening of the town's food situation. When I finally acquired the ingredients to cleanse the food supply from the lower dungeons, I realized that the town Apothecary had been killed in the attack, and there was nobody who could use the materials.

Just another day in Din's Curse, the action RPG where NPCs sometimes get depressed and become menaces to society, that one weird mob got promoted to boss status, that guy you were supposed to save on floor 6 turned out to be a dirty traitor, and your local weapon smith just got struck by lightning!  :V

Game info and demo:
http://www.soldak.com/Dins-Curse/Overview.html

It also showed up on Steam yesterday, which is how I got reminded this game exists.   :D

I'll come up with an evil scheme later. First, it's time to build a giant robot!

You can't have a good evil scheme without a giant robot!

AnonymousPondScum

Re: Din's Curse, the delightfully crazy Diablo-clone on drugs.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 02:55:10 PM »
Sounds like the Dorf Fortress of Rogue/Diablo-likes.

This sounds pertinent to my interests.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 03:06:57 PM »
The description sounded nice but then I saw the screenshots and decided otherwise.

Paul Debrion

• Highroller
  • Back again for more!
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 06:00:34 PM »
The description sounded nice but then I saw the screenshots and decided otherwise.

You can always try the demo for free. Who knows, you might end up liking it.  :V
I'll come up with an evil scheme later. First, it's time to build a giant robot!

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 09:34:27 PM »
Diablo + Dwarf Fortress is a pretty good summary.

I gave it a whirl and quickly realized how much I hated being pressed for time. For me, half the fun of Diablo is wasting half an hour at your stash comparing two pieces of equipment to try to squeeze out a 2 DPS difference :V
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 09:43:38 PM by Stuffman »

Paul Debrion

• Highroller
  • Back again for more!
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 10:21:11 PM »
My last town got attacked by the undead, and sadly I had to kill half the townspeople because they got turned into zombies.  :(

On a more humorous note, I just started a new town and the town Warmaster has shrunk! Yea really, He's half normal size right now and his sword is longer than he is tall!
I actually have a quest to help fix his unfortunate condition.  :V

Diablo + Dwarf Fortress is a pretty good summary.

I gave it a whirl and quickly realized how much I hated being pressed for time. For me, half the fun of Diablo is wasting half an hour at your stash comparing two pieces of equipment to try to squeeze out a 2 DPS difference :V

In single player, bringing up the character window stops time, so having the character window up while the inventory is open will allow you to see stats and such while time is stopped.

It is worth noting the time sensitive nature of a lot of things in Din's Curse might be jarring to some people. Personally I like it a lot because of the effect it has on what quests you take, especially since a lot of quests affect each other and may lead to certain events depending on if they are completed, failed, or ignored.

Starting out you can definitely take the usual "grab everything and run down the bullet points" approach to taking quests, but on higher paces/difficulties this become a less viable approach and you have to start weighing priorities.
At some point you start having to make decisions like whether or not going down to take out that recon outpost that is guiding attacks towards your town is more or less important than rescuing your Weaponsmith who just got kidnapped, as you might not have enough time for both.

I've actually successfully saved towns having failed more quests than I've solved because the quests I chose to focus on did more for the town's well being than the damage done by those I failed or had to ignore. I've also lost at least one despite having succeeded at a lot of quests because the ones I did fail ended up being big losses.

Thankfully, even though a lot of quests and events are time sensitive there is enough cause and effect that you can generally do quite a bit of predicting once you know what leads to what. A lot of important events come from earlier events so there a lot of important ones have "early symptoms" of sorts that you can catch on to and sometimes stop catastrophes before they happen. For example, a lot of elite mobs and bosses collecting on a certain level often indicate a potential threat that you may be able to extinguish before things start blowing up, you get some warning before a baddie constructs a recon totem, darkness machine, or weather machine and sometimes you can stop them before they do, general unhappiness among townspeople tends to lead to things like food/water poisoning, and so on.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 10:34:07 PM by Professor Paul1290 »