Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 10)  (Read 46271 times)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 10)
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2012, 09:44:23 PM »
>Have we any idea how long we have left until we get to Val's Halal Ruaza?

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2012, 09:50:39 PM »
>Have we any idea how long we have left until we get to Val's Halal Ruaza?

>From the estimate you were given before departure, probably another couple days - assuming the aftereffects of the pirate raid don't slow you down too much, of course.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2012, 10:00:47 PM »
Anything else to do, peoples? I don't have much. Aside from maybe snooping around for other hidden goodies when it seems like we could get away with it.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2012, 11:04:20 PM »
Well, we could go find the Cap'n after dinner and ask how she liked it.
...If ghosts even do eat. There is precedence though(Yuyuko), but we don't know her in this quest yet.
(And might never.)
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2012, 12:51:09 AM »
There's at least one thing I'd like to do, and that's ask Neu about that drowning trick Murasa pulled. We still offered to find Ishi's tool, but that can probably be taken care of in a 'summary' post.
I can't help but think I'm forgetting something, though. I'll think about more after I recharge from work.

EDIT: There is one other thing, actually. Murasa and Ishi were hiding that dingus in some kind of hidey-hole down in the engine room. If we can, I wouldn't mind having a look at it. There's a reason our treasure sense didn't detect that thing when we were dousing earlier. Maybe it was shielded, maybe by that hiding space.

>Could we go for seconds, or dessert, or both?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 01:40:39 AM by Sourfang, the Falling Star »

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2012, 03:00:44 AM »
>Could we go for seconds, or dessert, or both?

>The serving you just had was pretty sizable, so you might be more inclined towards desert than a second helping, tasty though it was.

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2012, 03:10:48 AM »
Schizophrenic avatars are schizophrenic.

>Then let us acquire desert. Peyote juice, ho!

« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2012, 03:31:50 AM »
>Then let us acquire desert. Peyote juice, ho!

>You finish off the last of your pie, then go and acquire a slice of tart. Miyuki, it seems, has taken to working at her supper from behind the counter - at least if that half-eaten plateful is any indication. For all the quantity you two cooked, there's a pretty sizable dent in it already and far from everyone on board has been fed yet.
>Tart in hand, you return to your seat and set to work at the sweeter half of supper.

« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2012, 03:44:35 AM »
>Ponder if we'll be called upon to provide baking services again. And if we should try to tell Miyuki to rest in the meantime.
>Have Neu or the captain been in yet?
>Consume fruity tart.

« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2012, 04:22:17 AM »
>Ponder if we'll be called upon to provide baking services again. And if we should try to tell Miyuki to rest in the meantime.
>Have Neu or the captain been in yet?
>Consume fruity tart.

>You're not certain on the former, though presumably Miyuki has an instinct for how much food is required by this point, and she was the one who specified the portion size. As for the latter, she seems to be managing okay; it doesn't look like demanding work, compared to earlier, even if it does keep her on her feet.
>They have not.
>You cut off a section of tart with your fork and pop it into your mouth. Though the flavors are relatively unembellished and it's only mildly sweet, the overall effect is actually quite pleasant; you'll certainly have no trouble getting this down.

>Partway through your tart, you notice Neu step quietly into the galley. She has the look of someone whose mind has started to fall asleep before their body, but you think the hole in her wing is a little smaller than when you last saw her.

« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2012, 04:31:08 AM »
>Wave her over. Well, try to, given the crowd.
>Check that.
>Wave her over if we have a seat free next to us, after she gets her grub.

« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2012, 04:54:43 AM »
>Wave her over. Well, try to, given the crowd.
>Check that.
>Wave her over if we have a seat free next to us, after she gets her grub.

>You do have a free seat next to you, but elect to wait on waving Neu over until she finishes being served.

>"You look like you could use a rest," Miyuki says with a frown as Neu approaches the counter.
>The moth's voice all but confirms this without even needing to hear her words. "I expect that's true."
>"Well, we have shepherd's pie and a fruit tart tonight. I'll even give you a double-helping of desert, if you'd like."
>Neu shakes her head. "I'm afraid I'll have to pass - just a small portion for me, please. To go. It does smell very nice, though."
>"It's not bad, is it?" Miyuki replies cheerfully, leaning down to scoop up a modest slice of pie. "The cheese was Nazrin's idea."
>"Oh, was it now?" Neu glances back in your direction. You give her a small nod, for want of a better response.
>"Yup!" Miyuki smiles brightly, then hands the moth a pair of plates, one bearing the main course, and the other desert. "Anyway, enjoy!"
>Neu inclines her head graciously. "I'm sure I will. Thank you."
>With that, she turns and heads towards the galley exit, but you wave her over towards you before she can get too far. She glances towards you as she catches the gesture, the tips of her antenna fluttering slightly. She approaches your table, plates in hand.

>"Is there something I can do for you?"

« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2012, 05:18:07 AM »
>"Actually, I was gonna offer you a chair. You look like getting off your feet for a minute would do you some good."

« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2012, 05:29:48 AM »
>"Actually, I was gonna offer you a chair. You look like getting off your feet for a minute would do you some good."

>"I was actually headed back to my room," she says, "but if there's something you wish to discuss, I could delay a few minutes."

« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2012, 05:41:34 AM »
>"Oh. Well, no, nothing special. Nothing that can't wait."

« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2012, 06:09:40 AM »
>"Oh. Well, no, nothing special. Nothing that can't wait."

>Neu pauses and looks at you a moment, then nods. "Very well. Enjoy the rest of your tart."
>She turns and walks slowly out of the galley.

« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2012, 06:39:31 AM »
Time enough to ask her about the captain's trick later.

>Polish off our desert, then police our dishes.
>If there's any pieces of fruit available, grab one for the road.

« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2012, 06:44:04 AM »
>Polish off our desert, then police our dishes.
>If there's any pieces of fruit available, grab one for the road.

>You finish off the rest of your tart, then gather your dishes up and return to the kitchen, where Miyuki accepts them with a grateful nod.
>Then you round up a fresh apple to take with you.

>"Thanks again for all the help, Nazrin," Miyuki says as you exit the pantry, a tired but contented look on her face.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2012, 06:45:47 AM »
>Pause for a bit. "Not a problem, s'the least I can do right now. Well, see you around."
>Let's head for the deck to look at how things are up there.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2012, 03:49:40 PM »
>Pause for a bit. "Not a problem, s'the least I can do right now. Well, see you around."
>Let's head for the deck to look at how things are up there.

>Miyuki nods and smiles. "Have a good evening, now."

>You leave the galley and head back up onto the deck. It's less populated now than earlier - you suppose those sailors dining downstairs had to come from somewhere - though there's still a modest crew presence here. Murasa looks to be in the wheelhouse still, but Ishi is nowhere to be seen. The gash in the rotor housing also appears to be gone; in its place is a large patch of some sort of lumpy material whose color does not match the surrounding metal.

« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2012, 07:53:47 PM »
>The rotor housing was the most obvious source of damage, was it not?
>With that taken care of, at least seemingly to Ishi's satisfaction, does there seem to be anything else up here obviously out of place we could put away, any ongoing repairs within our capacity to assist with?

« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2012, 07:56:47 PM »
>The rotor housing was the most obvious source of damage, was it not?
>With that taken care of, at least seemingly to Ishi's satisfaction, does there seem to be anything else up here obviously out of place we could put away, any ongoing repairs within our capacity to assist with?

>It was. The repair looks like a bit of a hatchet job, to your eye, you also certainly have no idea how to do better.
>Unless you're planning to perform spontaneous carpentry on the deck surface, they seem to have things pretty well in hand.

« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2012, 08:06:09 PM »
>Well, if Ishi's not here, then she's probably down in her engine room now.
>Unless her foul mood abated enough to make her hungry. Did we see her down in the galley?

« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2012, 08:18:01 PM »
>Well, if Ishi's not here, then she's probably down in her engine room now.
>Unless her foul mood abated enough to make her hungry. Did we see her down in the galley?

>It seems reasonable, given what you know of her.
>You did not.

« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2012, 01:04:53 AM »
>Still, assuming she's not, we might get a look at that hidey hole.
>Head down towards the engine room, but keep our ear open for sounds of one messy-headed Kappa. If it sounds like she's at 'home', we'll leave her be. Chances are, she won't want us nosing around her engine room while she's working.

« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2012, 02:44:29 AM »
>Still, assuming she's not, we might get a look at that hidey hole.
>Head down towards the engine room, but keep our ear open for sounds of one messy-headed Kappa. If it sounds like she's at 'home', we'll leave her be. Chances are, she won't want us nosing around her engine room while she's working.

>You head back downstairs and carry all the way into the hold. Some cleanup also seems to have been done here - the mess of squashed kiwis is gone, at least - but it's relatively deserted at the moment. However, as you make your way towards the rear of the cargo space, towards the door Murasa previously indicated as leading to the engine room, you start to catch what appears to be the sound of hammering coming from that direction. A closer inspection confirms that it's definitely coming from inside, along with the intermittent noise of... something mechanical, at any rate - you can't identify what it is, but it doesn't seem to be part of the general engine background noise.

« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2012, 03:08:42 AM »
>We'll leave her alone for now, then.
>Have a quick look around, just to see how much Aya charged the Maiden for daring to defend itself.
>After that, since the crew seems to have things well in hand, and we've made our contribution, go kick back for the rest of the evening.
>Time enough to talk to Neu, as well as maybe having a little look at Ishi's hole, tomorrow.

« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2012, 07:16:51 AM »
>We'll leave her alone for now, then.
>Have a quick look around, just to see how much Aya charged the Maiden for daring to defend itself.
>After that, since the crew seems to have things well in hand, and we've made our contribution, go kick back for the rest of the evening.
>Time enough to talk to Neu, as well as maybe having a little look at Ishi's hole, tomorrow.

>You decide to leave Ishi to her work.
>Instead, you take another look around the hold. It's not hard to spot the empty spaces where crates and pallets of goods used to sit, though it's done relatively little to diminish the overall effect of the space being laden with cargo. It would be hard for you to gauge exactly how much has been taken, given that several areas seem to have been rearranged since you were last here, either by the pirates or the crew doing cleanup; it's certainly a sizable amount, though there's an even more sizable amount left.

>Then you decide to kick back for the rest of the evening. The ship seems to be in mostly working order, the crew are in reasonably good health and surprisingly good spirits, you're satiated and in less pain than earlier, and there generally doesn't seem to be a whole lot for you to be doing right now. So you wander around the ship a bit, for want of anything else to do, and eventually find yourself back on deck again. The bright light of day has given way to a smoldery dusk and the wind is cool and steady. Time passes as you watch the sun grow dimmer and then burn out beneath the clouds; the subtle shimmer of the aether flows around you cannot match the spectacle of last night, but still set a strange excitement stirring in you. These are the truly open skies, further from civilization than you've ever been before. It almost seems a little silly when you stop to think on it - being here, right now, adrift in this tiny wooden tub upon an endless sea of sky. And yet, there it is. Pirates or no pirates, you're still glad to have been able to make this trip at least once. Even if it turns out to only be the once.
>You're not sure how much time you spend up there, but when the duty shift rotates again, you decide to call it a night. The nap you grabbed earlier helped a lot, but the day has still been tiring in the extreme and you probably ought to get some more rest. You return to your room, spending a few minutes idly going through your belongings before taking your nightly dose of Minoriko's medicine; the taste has not improved any since the last time you did this. Then you curl up beneath the sheets as comfortably as you can, doing your best to favor your multiple injuries; this somehow does seem easier than the last time. You'll take that as a positive thing. All in all, it's a surprisingly okay end to a very unpleasant day. You do seem to be having an awful lot of those lately, though; perhaps you ought to file a complaint with the universe, or something....

>Morning comes almost before you are aware you'd fallen asleep. Judging by the light glaring in through the small window beside your bed, the day has decided to be cheerful once again. Not that the weather seems to be in the habit of conforming itself to your mood lately. You rise lethargically from the bed and stretch, discovering that this is a much less uncomfortable maneuver than it was yesterday. You're reasonably well-rested as well, if not exactly energetic; given the circumstances, you'll take it. You take a glance over your injuries. Most of the smaller ones have all but vanished now and even your leg is largely healed; you'll probably want to favor it slightly today, but you wouldn't go as far as to say it honestly hurts. In fact, you decide it's good enough to strip the bandage off it altogether and let some fresh air onto your clammy and constricted skin.
>Unfortunately, the other half of your battle scars has not fared so well. If anything, they have grown by a more pronounced degree than on any previous day. The one on the side of your torso in particular seems to have enlarged by more than a whole inch compared to yesterday, and you can notice small changes in nearly every other Blighted marking upon your body, with faint traces that suggest several more yet forming. The sunlight grows sour and mocking for a moment. You push it aside; it's pointless to waste time and energy on feeling sorry for yourself, and there's probably breakfast to be had. And frankly, you could probably use something to wash down that dose of medicine staring chasteningly at you from the nightstand.

>Fortunately, breakfast is both warm and pleasant. Today's is free of kappa-related injuries, but ample in portion size; a cheese omelet and fried ham may be suspiciously similar to yesterday's fare, though you're hardly about to complain, and there's a pleasant sense of activity around you that serves as a buffer from darker thoughts. Miyuki is also looking fairly lively once more, though her injury clearly hasn't recovered as well as your own - one of the problems that comes with being human. You inquire after Neu, once you've made it to the end of your omelet, and are told that her quarters are one of the best places to try at this time of day; apparently she often uses this part of the morning to attend to paperwork.

>And indeed, you find her there. Neu's quarters are somewhat larger than yours or Chisato's, though to a lesser degree than you might have expected. They are, however, quite a bit better-appointed than either. This is less because of fineries reserved for senior officers, and more because genuine care seems to have been taken in their arrangement. The bed is appreciably larger, you note, and its sheets do not match the utilitarian designs you've seen stocking their linen closet, but most of the remaining furnishings are otherwise similar to those around the rest of the ship. The most prominent feature of the room is a large writing desk, stylish in a sort of conservative way.  Its surface is laden with papers and files, scrupulously arranged in tidy stacks, and accented by a flamboyant white quill pen resting neatly in a stolid black inkwell. One document in the center of the desk looks as though it were in the process of being written as you entered.

>Neu greets you at the door with a calm and collected expression; a subtle glance confirms that the hole in her wing is mostly gone now, though the surface there seems less opaque than the rest of the wing, almost as if it were thinner. She inclines her head respectfully towards yours and her antennae gently fan out.
>"I'm glad to see you look better this morning. Is there something I can do for you?"

« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2012, 09:57:46 AM »
>"Got a minute or two to spare? There's a question I was hoping you could answer for me."

« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2012, 06:50:42 PM »
>"Got a minute or two to spare? There's a question I was hoping you could answer for me."

"Yes, of course," she says, stepping aside and gesturing towards the interior. "Come in and have a seat, if you'd like."