Author Topic: Touhou YOU FAILED THINGS Thread 14  (Read 226632 times)

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
Re: Touhou YOU FAILED THINGS Thread 14
« Reply #930 on: October 22, 2012, 09:46:56 PM »
i wont lie if i mess up aya's final MoF card in normal i will scream

It's MoF. It's Normal. You have bombs out the ass. Please use them. I'm not trying to sound condescending at all when I say this: You are able to bomb every spell in the game and clear.

If it's the "I'm trying to capture this specific card", then please disregard what I just said.
My profile picture is whimsy until I feel like adding something else.

Enjoy.

Goldom

• Whee
« Reply #931 on: October 22, 2012, 11:20:44 PM »
I don't know if you noticed while playing but cranberry trap is actually super easy if you know.

the pink bullets always go to the middle of the screen, so you can dodge them the same every time. the blue bullets go to your current position, so just...move up. http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=23884 download and watch for demonstration of how to never fail it again. also watch for demonstration of what I mean when I say microtap maze of love :v here it's without the bomb, but you can bomb is after the 2nd ring.

Watching this replay, I was reminded of that "how to draw an owl" picture. It inspired me to have another run of it myself, thinking "Wow, that looked so easy, I surely will have no trouble now!" But just barely made it by, ending at 0/0 like every other time I've cleared it.

« Reply #932 on: October 22, 2012, 11:55:48 PM »
Well crap. I think I've figured out what my problem is for Virtue of Wind God.

It's endurance.

I just had a run where I lasted half of the card before my first death. Number of misses at the end? Five.

This is not an anomaly among my runs.

People who have timed out this thing, how do you keep your focus for the full length of the card? I could do it within the week, if I could continually dodge as good as I typically do during the first minute or so.

« Reply #933 on: October 23, 2012, 01:48:59 AM »
People who have timed out this thing, how do you keep your focus for the full length of the card? I could do it within the week, if I could continually dodge as good as I typically do during the first minute or so.

I usually don't manage to maintain my focus either. It's intense dodging for 2 and a half minute so losing many attempts simply to the length of the attack is not abnormal.

VoWG is a card that get's considerably more manageable the more you play against it as patterns start to repeat themselves and you simply just recognize them and act accordingly. It wasn't as much raw skill as it was familiarity with the pattern that got me my timeout.

As you keep dodging the attack, it becomes harder to concentrate on the dodging and you'll be more likely to mistakes. The solution to this is simply being good enough at the card to handle what it can do despite your lowered ability to concentrate or nervousity.

Zil

« Reply #934 on: October 23, 2012, 02:54:37 AM »
My experience was that falling into a kind of trance helped a lot. I didn't want my mentality to change as the attack progressed, and I didn't want to dwell on the previous waves to any extent whatsoever. In other words, I tried to "think" as little as possible. Forget there was a timer, forget I had some kind of goal, and just sort of space out, dodging one wave at a time. I didn't think about how long I'd been doing it, or how much longer it was going to last. I just did it.

That was my way of avoiding nervousness or whatever, at least. You'd maybe have your own method, I guess. It's ultimately like Zengeku said really. It lasts a really long time, and you've just got to resist it. Every bit of familiarity helps.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #935 on: October 23, 2012, 03:12:58 AM »
The way I do it is just focus focus focus focus focus.  It got me almost 2 minutes into the card.  I just blocked out everything but the game, thought about nothing but the game and just dodged.  I ended up dying really stupidly, but getting that far was a huge confidence booster (especially when my most common fail point is the wave exactly 1 minute in)

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #936 on: October 23, 2012, 03:17:43 AM »
I'm similar to Zengeku in this regard. My main approach was to become familiar with all the different combinations of walls I'm likely to face, and how to deal with them. Quite like learning static attacks in a way, though VoWG is obviously not. But even when I was routinely getting farther into the attack without dying, I could never completely curtail my nervousness. In the run where I did pull it off, I let some of that nervousness get to me, leading to an ill-advised dodge way to the left of where I should have gone. I survived, trusting that I could keep at least some focus, but I certainly didn't feel calm the rest of the way. It was all that other training that helped me deal with that, as even nervousness wouldn't make me forget the ways I handled certain wall combinations.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #937 on: October 23, 2012, 03:53:53 PM »
Tried MoF lunatic no bombs again.
Decided not to restart.
Died to Hina's first spell because ninja bullet.
Died to midboss Nitori because the RNG was trolling (worst I'd seen, ever, and I almost captured anyway)
Died to Kappa's Illusory Waterfall because...again, worst RNG I'd seen.
Died to Cephalic Plate for the same reason.
Died to Momiji because she moved in the worst possible direction every wave forcing unfocused dodges away from the spirals.
Died to the 3 fairies near the end of the stage because I didn't kill the one on the right (nearly survived)
Game Over to the crows at the end because they had the worst RNG I'd ever seen on them.

At least I got the crappy RNG out of the way on a likely failed run, but I would have liked to have reached Aya.  Or, you know, Stage 6 even.

RNG

• Lord of all that Bullshits
« Reply #938 on: October 23, 2012, 11:19:10 PM »
My first credit as Sanae B made it to Byakuren with 1 spare life and 2 bombs despite dumb errors in stage 4. That's enough if I do everything perfectly (perhaps, considering the Sanae Shotgun, I could even capture LFO!) So what do I do? Why, of course, I die to the opener. Yes, the one with the bubbles that translates to move left and right.

I don't know how.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 11:32:44 PM by RNG »

Sungho

• Custom Title
  • Personal Text
« Reply #939 on: October 24, 2012, 04:08:11 AM »
What does LFO supposed to mean?

By the way, I died with 4.00 power on Kanako's first card, and game over'd on less than 15% of Virtue of Wind God.
Those clipdeaths.
Signature

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #940 on: October 24, 2012, 04:12:16 AM »
What does LFO supposed to mean?
LFO stands for Legendary Flying Object (it's Saucer in-game IIRC), which is Byakuren's final card on hard and lunatic.

Byaaakuren

• Youkai Jesus, Queen of the Monks
    • Animu List
« Reply #941 on: October 24, 2012, 08:49:16 AM »
I have no idea how to use Reimu in UFO

I thank my friend for the sig <3
My noob replays :V
Tumblr (I post NSFW stuff there)

« Reply #942 on: October 24, 2012, 11:22:46 AM »
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 11:44:10 AM by Bang Jan »
Getting clipped since Feb. 2012.

Youtube

Tumblr

Sakurei

• Banned
  • Frequently repeated unapologetic hostility
    • My Blog
« Reply #943 on: October 24, 2012, 02:53:04 PM »
Watching this replay, I was reminded of that "how to draw an owl" picture. It inspired me to have another run of it myself, thinking "Wow, that looked so easy, I surely will have no trouble now!" But just barely made it by, ending at 0/0 like every other time I've cleared it.

does it feel like that? sorry! but most of what you're seeing in that replay is extreme practice! I have cleared Flandre over 50 times by now and played the stage well above 200 times. so it's not something that came out of nowhere =)

also have something to contribute...

I had a 1DNB stage 4 in UFO.

> I died to dipper creeping close. WELL YEAH. I captured everything hard and die to the survival. GENIUS. But yeah, I can do that =)

Seppo Hovi

« Reply #944 on: October 24, 2012, 04:31:16 PM »
Somewhat good ReimuA score and Cherry on entering Yuyuko

After which I died to third non, timed the same non out and broke a border to reflowering.

Gah.

-

I'm too shit to calculate any optimal scores, but I'll take from the two lost borders ~~15M, Spell bonus ~~10M and bombs 20M, leading into 45M. Maybe it wouldn't have been enough to push me beyond 1,5b anyway. Whatever, I'm still really depressed about this. But, let's not give up but add another 10 hours a day into it. Done for today.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 04:53:27 PM by Vee »

« Reply #945 on: October 24, 2012, 07:14:34 PM »
MoF Hard, random stage 6 practice.
Target : VoWG

Carelessly bombed my way to the last card as usual (spell practice please).
Dodged nearly all of the spellcard, then got one stupid death at the very end (less than 5 seconds remaining). Not even a wall or a misread, just bad dexterity, like ~80% of my deaths...

« Reply #946 on: October 24, 2012, 07:22:52 PM »
Another UFO LNBNUFO run.
Deaths: Ichirin's last card, Nazrin midboss spell, Shou's 1st spell, Shou's last spell, Byakuren's 1st spell and her 3rd non.

Ichirin's last card death was me misreading the lasers, Nazrin midboss spell was a bit meh, ran straight into a bullet for some reason, thinking I would make it through. Shou's 1st spell was a bit tough, so no biggie there. Shou's last card... I tried going through two glowy bullets and ran into one of them... I hesitated. Byakuren's first was just shitty luck and barely surviving a wave and then dying to bad controls, last death on Byakuren's 3rd non was kinda silly, I just didn't move and I got hit.

My best run since getting to LFS.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 07:27:44 PM by cactu »

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #947 on: October 24, 2012, 09:15:28 PM »
EDIT: I WAS SO FREAKING CLOSE! :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

>Is able to capture LFS with one power as Needle Reimu
>Can't clear TD Extra

Given, I can't do either too efficiently but still, that"s pretty odd. Is it the issue of Resource Management rather than Dodging Ability?
Also please, not so many frowning faces in a row, it looks really bad imo

Enjoy.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #948 on: October 24, 2012, 09:20:30 PM »
I'd say it's probably consistency.  LFS at 1 power is what, 60-70 seconds?  TD extra is 10-11 minutes.  So even though you get more mistakes, they're over a longer period (besides, they can both be grinded out, but an LFS attempt takes less time)

Goldom

• Whee
« Reply #949 on: October 24, 2012, 09:29:59 PM »
does it feel like that? sorry! but most of what you're seeing in that replay is extreme practice! I have cleared Flandre over 50 times by now and played the stage well above 200 times. so it's not something that came out of nowhere =)

Not your fault for being awesome, I'm sure my level of ability would look the same way to some other people - it's just a bit daunting how far I have left to go in skill.

Seppo Hovi

« Reply #950 on: October 24, 2012, 09:45:00 PM »
The better one gets, the more does one have to learn. Such is the world of optimisation, beautiful, but relentless.

Gifted and wise are those who can admit how little do they know.

-

And this, you must view as a matter of improvement. It is hardly any use comparing yourself to someone who has played stg's much more than you have yourself - I learned this just recently myself - As time passes, you'll get better, or faster, or more knowledged on shmups. You'll hardly ever be done, however, since new challenges will arise as you improve.

And the journey on becoming better and learning new stuff, now that is something great and worth the trouble! So it's like a good run - you might get a good and desireable outcome, but in the end, what you experienced during the run was more important and meaningful.

A long road to go can either be a good road or a bad road. That is up to you to decide which will it be.

RNG

• Lord of all that Bullshits
« Reply #951 on: October 25, 2012, 12:18:55 AM »
Wow, I am really bad at Gold Detector. Yeah, I know it's static. I just tend to ram into Nazrin while unfocused :V

And the one time I made it to Murasa today, one of the anchors from her first card retracted right into me. I pretty much quit in disgust after that.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 12:21:05 AM by RNG »

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #952 on: October 25, 2012, 12:45:27 AM »
Holy crap that's like the third time in a row I died to boss-Mystia's first card. What gives.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Cor

« Reply #953 on: October 25, 2012, 02:52:44 AM »
Opening of 4th stage, Nueball, Murasa's first and last spells, Nazrin's nonspell. That's enough for this month.

Thornytowers

« Reply #954 on: October 25, 2012, 03:57:01 AM »
So I made it to Patchouli's stage in EOSD and my nose was itching something fierce. So, I scratched it. Immediately enemies started coming onto the screen, so i placed my hand back on the keyboard without looking, however, I didn't realize that my bullet finger was on the bomb key. I accidentally set off my second to last bomb. After a few seconds I calmed down from the rage, then I DID IT AGAIN! With no bombs left I died when Patchouli released "Agni Shine High Level".  :fail:

« Reply #955 on: October 25, 2012, 10:28:48 PM »
Let's be weird here.

I just timed out Sanae's opener. Now I'm annoyed that it didn't look cool enough and feel obligated to go do another timeout where I make sure to wall myself on purpose. Maybe I can accomplish this by restricting myself to the bottom of the screen.

« Reply #956 on: October 26, 2012, 09:19:42 AM »
ATTN: Eirin Yagokoro

Youtube

Tumblr

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #957 on: October 26, 2012, 08:20:49 PM »
Video showing situation

Fuck Flandre. I hate her. She teases me with my first capture of AtWTBN and then Double KOs me with a failed QED capture attempt by two or three frames. Bull fucking shit.

Enjoy.

Yatakarasu

• Always failing, sometimes winning!
  • Fail mode activate!
« Reply #958 on: October 27, 2012, 03:49:33 AM »
I can not for the life of me do well in stage 4 of UFO on normal. There is just waaaaaay too much shit on the screen. I'll go in with 4-5 lives and be lucky if I come out with one. The 40 second survival card at the very end doesn't help matters.

Also lasers.  :colonveeplusalpha:

Normal Clears: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC
Hard Clears: PoFV, SA, TD, DDC
Extra Clears: PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC
Current touhou goal: Improve! ...1cc more Hard Modes

« Reply #959 on: October 27, 2012, 10:44:47 AM »
>Times out Apollo 13

> Forgets to save the replay

Youtube

Tumblr