Author Topic: Touhou YOU FAILED THINGS Thread 14  (Read 226871 times)

Karisa

• Extend!
  • High scores are meant to be broken.
Re: Touhou YOU FAILED THINGS Thread 14
« Reply #510 on: September 02, 2012, 06:50:18 AM »
Have you tried Neko? Seriously, it has better performance than T98-Next and better emulation than Anex86 (perfect for TH02-05), yet not enough people use it.
I didn't know there were any other PC-98 emulators, actually. I guess I could try it.

What codec are you using? What background processes do you have open?
The codec is an old version of ffdshow that for some reason works best out of what I've tried (newer versions seem to have removed features, I tried upgrading once then reverted to a version from mid-2010). As for background processes, whatever runs by default on Windows XP Service Pack 3, I guess.

« Reply #511 on: September 02, 2012, 08:24:12 AM »
Sigh.

Even though I've reached the point where Touhou is just no longer capable of producing the AAAAAAAHHHHHHH kind of rage from me (barring the very rare extreme piece of bullshit), it's just been plain wearing out my patience. It's reaching the point where I'm only playing it maybe half an hour a day, all games total, and not batting an eye over not getting any achievements at all on a given day. And between what feels like a mountain of requests (it's only four, really, but they're all very very hard by my standards, and working on them gets annoying fast), and the goals I've already set for myself (holy shit FUCK YOU "A Fantasy's Transience"), playing Touhou feels like unpaid labor. And with the prospect of starting classes in a couple days, well.

I really need a vacation from Touhou, I think. Problem is, I'm scared that I'll come back to it to find myself sucking too badly to even clear an easier Lunatic. not like that's already the case or anything

« Reply #512 on: September 02, 2012, 08:53:20 AM »
Got 3-4 in DS with ultra patch down to 66 seconds remaining in a timeout attempt (no photo). Then I died miserably :P
"you never know, you may have the best strats in the world" - Zil

Immortal Momiji!

Lepetit89

• Deranged Collector
« Reply #513 on: September 02, 2012, 09:16:04 AM »
Sigh.

Even though I've reached the point where Touhou is just no longer capable of producing the AAAAAAAHHHHHHH kind of rage from me (barring the very rare extreme piece of bullshit), it's just been plain wearing out my patience. It's reaching the point where I'm only playing it maybe half an hour a day, all games total, and not batting an eye over not getting any achievements at all on a given day. And between what feels like a mountain of requests (it's only four, really, but they're all very very hard by my standards, and working on them gets annoying fast), and the goals I've already set for myself (holy shit FUCK YOU "A Fantasy's Transience"), playing Touhou feels like unpaid labor. And with the prospect of starting classes in a couple days, well.

I really need a vacation from Touhou, I think. Problem is, I'm scared that I'll come back to it to find myself sucking too badly to even clear an easier Lunatic. not like that's already the case or anything

Aren't you getting a little too hung up over requests? Just pick challenges for yourself, taking requests actually sounds like a surefire way to wind up in exactly the position you find yourself in. Play what you want when you want - sometimes, taking a break helps more than forcing yourself through whatever it is you're doing.

« Reply #514 on: September 02, 2012, 01:34:11 PM »
I was fighting Ichirin and Unzan when I was dodging the bullets around me instead of watching out for Unzan'a giant fists of doom, and I got owned :/

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #515 on: September 02, 2012, 03:31:39 PM »
Yet another day of guess what: UFO LUNATIC. :V
My profile picture is whimsy until I feel like adding something else.

Enjoy.

« Reply #516 on: September 02, 2012, 03:52:29 PM »
MoF hard :
Entering Kanako fight with 2 lives.
Entering VoWG with 1 life left.

:colonveeplusalpha:

That spell...

« Reply #517 on: September 02, 2012, 11:49:16 PM »
-_- UFO Normal, I need to play this more. I don't even know whats coming up when I play. Not exactly sure which shot type I want to use either, could just do my usual, Marisa B

crystalgreatsword

• Spin, Aya, spin!
« Reply #518 on: September 03, 2012, 12:02:19 AM »
-_- UFO Normal, I need to play this more. I don't even know whats coming up when I play. Not exactly sure which shot type I want to use either, could just do my usual, Marisa B

Practice makes perfect. UFO Normal gave me a hard time too, but I 1cc'd it eventually. Used SanaeB.

Anyway... I just went through the derpiest run of SA Normal ever. I died twice at Yuugi and clipped Flying Insects Nest. What is this I don't even.
Touhou Normal 1cc's: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, SA, UFO, TD
Touhou Hard Progress - EoSD: Stage 6, PCB: Stage 4, IN: Stage 4, MoF: Stage 4, SA: Stage 3, UFO: Stage 2, TD: Stage 4
Touhou Lunatic Progress - Haha, funny.

"I NEED MORE PRACTICE!!!" - Me at 2 in the morning

« Reply #519 on: September 03, 2012, 12:25:18 AM »
Practice makes perfect. UFO Normal gave me a hard time too, but I 1cc'd it eventually. Used SanaeB.

Anyway... I just went through the derpiest run of SA Normal ever. I died twice at Yuugi and clipped Flying Insects Nest. What is this I don't even.

I know, I always over look UFO. SanaeB seems to be really good. I'll probably stick with her.

« Reply #520 on: September 03, 2012, 04:49:42 AM »
Oh wow I had 2 extra lives going into VoWG for my second Lunatic 1cc, and I couldn't clear it. I can clearly see the power differential between basically all Marisa shot types + Reimu B and ReimuA/ReimuC. Not to mention that VoWG has absolutely no empty space cleared when you bomb unlike LFS, and this card might really be one of the harder final cards to clear... Although I guess the proper comparison would be trying ReimuB against LFS, and I haven't done that so...

Anyway, I highly doubt that I'm going to get my 1cc with ReimuA unless I can actually get better at VoWG, because right now, I'm just getting murdered by it, and it alone. Like really. The only death I had on Kanako was at Source of Rains, and that was just me being stupid. I could probably get to VoWG with more lives by bombing basically everything that could possibly be a threat, but I think actually doing well on VoWG would feel more rewarding.

crystalgreatsword

• Spin, Aya, spin!
« Reply #521 on: September 03, 2012, 06:02:32 PM »
>Finishes DS 6-6
>Total scene count 52/108
>"Yay, that means I've unlocked the Extra Stage!"
>Starts EX-1
>"ZOMG GIANT REIMU AMULET AAAAAH!"
>Pichuu~n
Touhou Hard Progress - EoSD: Stage 6, PCB: Stage 4, IN: Stage 4, MoF: Stage 4, SA: Stage 3, UFO: Stage 2, TD: Stage 4

« Reply #522 on: September 03, 2012, 07:03:31 PM »
Obviously when I'm at 0 power with no bombs to lose is when I capture Terikuni. I hate that card so much.

And of course the time that I enter Kanako with 6 extra lives is the time that I game over before reaching Source of Rains. Oh joy.

DgBarca

• Umineko fuck yeah
  • Spoilers ?
« Reply #523 on: September 03, 2012, 07:34:11 PM »
Well I stopped playing touhou for a while. Before I could clear any game before SA in hard mode but it seems that I completly lost the way I used to focus !
I can't play without doing horribly stupid mistakes in stages 1/2 even in normal.

I miss my skills please come back.
[21:16] <redacted> dgbarca makes great work
[21:16] <redacted> i hope he'll make a full game once

Oh

« Reply #524 on: September 03, 2012, 08:04:56 PM »
Playing PCB Extra:
Missing the 800 point item extend by 4.
996M, Fuck I just want 1b, what the hell, Ran.

Chuckolator

• ex-perfecter, good times
« Reply #525 on: September 03, 2012, 09:17:42 PM »
20 minutes of MoF Stage 4 practice made it past Momiji three times!

>dies to popcorn fairies
>dies to popcorn fairies
>dies to pre-Aya crows

The hell.
Aiming to perfect every stage in Touhou. loljk don't care anymore You can find my perfects here or here.
Best perfects so far include UFO 6, MoF 4 and IN 6A.

formerly known as Seiga Kaku

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #526 on: September 03, 2012, 09:19:20 PM »
MoF Stage 4 is EZ
you just dodge bullets
(translation: random dodging is what I'm good at, this stage is mostly random dodging)

Shame I missed a second perfect of the stage by dying to the last spell  :V

Chuckolator

• ex-perfecter, good times
« Reply #527 on: September 03, 2012, 09:20:26 PM »
MoF Stage 4 is EZ
you just dodge bullets
Yeah, I can do that as long as I die to Momiji beforehand. <_<
Aiming to perfect every stage in Touhou. loljk don't care anymore You can find my perfects here or here.
Best perfects so far include UFO 6, MoF 4 and IN 6A.

formerly known as Seiga Kaku

« Reply #528 on: September 03, 2012, 09:27:00 PM »
Ah yes. Stage 4. Please stop dying to PWG all the time Zengeku. You used to be better at this.  :(

44/190 rate. Pretty damn shitty.

crystalgreatsword

• Spin, Aya, spin!
« Reply #529 on: September 03, 2012, 09:40:08 PM »
I am sad. Very very sad. Mega Flare... why?
[attach=1]

Approximately how many extra lives will be a good amount to tackle Utsuho?
Cause I know I can't just go waltzing into Stage 6 with 1 extra life that I lost at the beginning and expect to beat her.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 09:43:13 PM by crystalgreatsword »

Heian_Alien

• Act normal...
  • Act normal!
« Reply #530 on: September 03, 2012, 09:46:38 PM »
Tried PCB Hard at new PC...
It seems like my deathbomb reflex is non-existent when I play at a bigger screen, I don't really know why exactly.
Entered Stage 3 0/2 after horribly murdering Stage 2.
Reached Yuyuko 3/1, and 50% Reflowering 1/3, while pending an Extend. I didn't clear.
I feel like my skill really dropped. I can read the bullets fine, but I can't move accurately at all. Maybe I'll get used to it.
It could be that the 1-month absence also took it's toll. Damn this.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #531 on: September 03, 2012, 10:40:38 PM »
I am sad. Very very sad. Mega Flare... why?
[attach=1]

Approximately how many extra lives will be a good amount to tackle Utsuho?
Cause I know I can't just go waltzing into Stage 6 with 1 extra life that I lost at the beginning and expect to beat her.

I would say three would be a good bet for your first clear, but thinking with that mindset won't do you any good - always go in with the thought of victory on your mind. Remember that Utsuho gets a good deal easier after Mega Flare, so you do stand a chance if you get past that.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #532 on: September 03, 2012, 10:52:11 PM »
One other thing: if you have a bomb as her last spell explodes, use it.  You do not want to double KO right at the end, and Utsuho is very good at hitting you when you don't expect it right at the end.  One of my friends almost did, but they managed to deathbomb instead of die.

Nindella

• That cat!
  • Nyaaa...
    • Youtube Page!
Youtube Channel!
Please check it out for Touhou commentaries, LPs, piano transcriptions and more!
My Touhou replays!

« Reply #534 on: September 04, 2012, 10:43:45 PM »
Hey uhh 9-4 and 9-7 (DS)? Please stop killing me so much.

I played through 7, 8 and 9 today and it took over an hour. Seriously. Thank you stage 9 for completely messing up my time. Or rather, those two spells in it that were annoying. I dunno about this speedrunning thing. I've already completely fucking lost it by taking far too long. Besides, i don't know about speedrunning things were two scenes of level 9 are a matter of luck to me.

It's also making playing the game less fun. Doing this as a race is hurting my experience i think so i'm just gonna stop. If I could clear the rest of the game while under 3 hours would be nice though.

crystalgreatsword

• Spin, Aya, spin!
« Reply #535 on: September 04, 2012, 10:49:46 PM »
*deep breath*
OOOOOORIIIIIIIN!!!!!!!
:getdown:

I'm okay now.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #536 on: September 05, 2012, 12:41:07 AM »
Hey uhh 9-4 and 9-7 (DS)? Please stop killing me so much.

I played through 7, 8 and 9 today and it took over an hour. Seriously. Thank you stage 9 for completely messing up my time. Or rather, those two spells in it that were annoying. I dunno about this speedrunning thing. I've already completely fucking lost it by taking far too long. Besides, i don't know about speedrunning things were two scenes of level 9 are a matter of luck to me.

It's also making playing the game less fun. Doing this as a race is hurting my experience i think so i'm just gonna stop. If I could clear the rest of the game while under 3 hours would be nice though.
1. Unlocking Hatate allows you to do the scenes you like to do.
2. Race?  With what, exactly?
3. 9-6 was my scene that took way too long (and I kind of lucked out on 9-7).  I think you'll still get under 3 hours total though, I majorly failed stages 11 and 12.
4. I went with a survival over speed mindset, knowing it'd be faster in the end.

« Reply #537 on: September 05, 2012, 01:17:31 AM »
Tried streaming some LLS, went badly.  First round I crashed into Kurumi, second round I died because the rank was too low, decided to practice stages, messed up practically everything... So inconsistent right now and it hurts.

« Reply #538 on: September 05, 2012, 05:46:21 AM »
Wow god freaking damnit. I died to PWG at 0 seconds left. And it was an easy pattern too.

Shimatora

• I'm not clumsy...
  • Really...!
« Reply #539 on: September 05, 2012, 06:05:12 AM »
Alice's Lunatic opener.  :ohdear:

Actually, all her openers. The midbosses AND the main boss. Fuuuuu-

Visit #sokumaidens on irc.ppirc.net for discussion and matchmaking for a wide variety of fighting games!
Feel free to message me if you need anything!