Author Topic: Touhou YOU FAILED THINGS Thread 14  (Read 226631 times)

Lepetit89

• Deranged Collector
Re: Touhou YOU FAILED THINGS Thread 14
« Reply #420 on: August 20, 2012, 06:00:31 AM »
It's not that I don't enjoy them. In fact, I think I enjoy them more than I ever did, primarily because of the challenges and stuff. For example, that 120fps Mountain of Faith thing. I saw Naut's video, and that inspired me to try it. I had no idea if I'd be able to do it (tbh it looked humanly impossible in the video) and of course it ate me alive at first. But I crept up on it from lower speeds, and "eased my way into it" if you will. I figured it out, got used to the speed, and got the perfect timeout at 110fps, in fact was planning to go beyond 120fps and see just how far I could take it.
Anyway, getting to the point - to call it "fun" would be an understatement. It was unreal. Partly, perhaps, because the realization that I could actually do it put me in a good mood, but mostly it was the sheer exhilaration of it. I played it repeatedly until I started getting worse at it, at which point I quit, and realized (as is usually the case) that I had spent hours on it. Hours doing that one thing. And it bugged me, as it always did, to think about that. I really had to think about it though, and that's what I did. Deciding to quit wasn't just a sudden whim, but the result of serious thinking. I used to play guitar, and piano, but sometime I just stopped playing them. Then there's schoolwork and god knows what else. Things are behind where they should be, and I have to catch them up. My music playing could have been great by now, or so I believe. And it's not that I "sacrificed" those other skills to get good at Touhou. I could have multitasked, and not abandoned everything. I could be on the gravy train, kicking ass on all fronts, but I'm not. (And that's mildly infuriating.)
So yes, I will play Touhou again; it would be a crime against myself if I didn't, but I have to free myself from it first. I have to gain some self control, and repair the damage I've done, however long it takes. A year, maybe more, maybe less, I don't know. But I'll stop this blithering now. I've said more than I had too anyway. This isn't the place for it.

And thanks, you guys, for saying what you did. I wasn't expecting that, and it was nice to read. And sorry for turning this place into my diary. There was no reason for it. No need to make a big deal here.

In any event, yes, I think I'll still hang around here and plague you all with my presence. It's not like I'm dying or anything.

e: And I realize I worded that first post to make it sound like I was just bored. I'm not really that ridiculous.

I wasn't under the impression that you were bored, no worries. Good to hear that you didn't feel bothered by your urge to keep challenging yourself, though I guess concerns about the related time investment weren't too far off.
Anyway, take your time getting your priorities straight, catch up on what you wanted to do, I'm sure you'll like it even more than before if you stick with your plan and do that.

On that note, if there's anything you need help with, you can ask anytime.

Byaaakuren

• Youkai Jesus, Queen of the Monks
    • Animu List
« Reply #421 on: August 20, 2012, 09:53:20 PM »
Haha I don't know how to UFO Hard

I thank my friend for the sig <3
My noob replays :V
Tumblr (I post NSFW stuff there)

fondue

• excuse me
« Reply #422 on: August 20, 2012, 11:37:08 PM »
>Now to beat Aya on the last scene so I can unlock Hatate completely!
>...
>

crystalgreatsword

• Spin, Aya, spin!
« Reply #423 on: August 20, 2012, 11:42:27 PM »
I tried to do a UFO normal runs again.
Three guesses who made me game over, and the first two don't count.
 :V
Touhou Normal 1cc's: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, SA, UFO, TD
Touhou Hard Progress - EoSD: Stage 6, PCB: Stage 4, IN: Stage 4, MoF: Stage 4, SA: Stage 3, UFO: Stage 2, TD: Stage 4
Touhou Lunatic Progress - Haha, funny.

"I NEED MORE PRACTICE!!!" - Me at 2 in the morning

« Reply #424 on: August 22, 2012, 08:47:39 AM »
I just failed another 1cc of MB Normal................................and I have 9 lives in at the beginning of Stage 5....
Also, why I keep failing Megumi's super easy spell, even though I figure it out :(

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #425 on: August 22, 2012, 02:32:15 PM »
VoWG timeout attempt progress log:
First attempt in over a month, going very well.  However...at 69 seconds left my little siblings decided it was a good idea to be noisy, distracting me.  I died.  40 seconds left, they come over and start asking me questions/being noisy even closer, despite me asking them to leave me alone right now.  I die 3 times in 30 seconds.  No point finishing that attempt.

Basically some crap happens every time I have a good attempt going, my best ended up ended because I got called for lunch at 41 seconds left.

Wow, failed 35 seconds in...due to the game lagging for a second (literally, a second)

LadyScarlet

• Too lazy to make this a gif right now
  • Still scumming for a good pull
« Reply #426 on: August 22, 2012, 07:02:38 PM »
God, I can't beat IN Normal with Ghost Team even WITH 1 continue! Fuck you Marisa! Fuck you Reisen! Fuck this shitty ass Last Word I wanna unlock! <insert cluster F bomb>!!! DX
My Youtube Channel. I mostly upload Hisoutensoku videos.

crystalgreatsword

• Spin, Aya, spin!
« Reply #427 on: August 22, 2012, 11:00:19 PM »
Today's been a particularly derpy day.

When I was trying out MoF Hard, I was surprised again by Nitori's midboss card.

During my (many) attempts of 1cc'ing UFO Normal, I...
...was fairy rammed at the beginning of Stage 3
...needed to itch my nose during Murasa's third card and died in the process
...flew into a curvy laser
...flew right into Byakuren after her first card

So... no 1cc there. Bah.
Touhou Hard Progress - EoSD: Stage 6, PCB: Stage 4, IN: Stage 4, MoF: Stage 4, SA: Stage 3, UFO: Stage 2, TD: Stage 4

fondue

• excuse me
« Reply #428 on: August 22, 2012, 11:44:41 PM »
fairy wars suck

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #429 on: August 23, 2012, 12:33:22 AM »
My profile picture is whimsy until I feel like adding something else.

Enjoy.

Oh

« Reply #430 on: August 23, 2012, 02:23:03 AM »
Trying to perfect no focus PCB Extra.
First run, only died once on Charming Siege because I chose the wrong damn lane.
When I try again, I died to the survival because nerves.
I swear, Ran's trolling me  :V

« Reply #431 on: August 23, 2012, 02:20:30 PM »
I hate getting obsessed.

I've been trying to go after a single achievement for the past 3 days, only taking a break to do something by request.

I don't even know how many times I've failed at this, it's UFO and I'm using a cleared score.dat that I found somewhere so I can't measure it by the history, but I would estimate 80 times or so.

And of course, here I go again.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #432 on: August 23, 2012, 02:35:16 PM »
I decided to try a credit-feed run of UFO lunatic.
I stopped at Stage 3 because it wasn't fun.

I will be perfectly content with never clearing this game (for now) because it's so stupid on so many levels.
Memorize stages to have any hope of having enough resources to clear the bosses? check
Stupid spellcards/nonspells/stage parts? check (look at the post Ichirin section.  Tell me that isn't all memotrash.)

There is nothing remotely fun about UFO lunatic outside of...Nazrin Rod?  Maybe?  Even then it's pretty freaking stupid.  I don't know how ANYONE could enjoy this.  Now if you'll excuse me, back to trying to figure out how to get the last parts of MoF lunatic consistent so I can get that NB lunatic clear.

MTSranger

• =.=
« Reply #433 on: August 23, 2012, 04:43:51 PM »
I quite like stage 4 and 5 of UFO lunatic. Stage 3 wasn't so bad once I got around, say, 100 practice runs.
Then again, I play SanaeB, who has a bigger room for error when fairies are all over the place (ReimuA is better for stage 3 though).

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #434 on: August 23, 2012, 04:48:06 PM »
The difficulty in actually managing your resources and surviving the bosses is part of the fun. It's kind of rough at first but you love to hate it after a bit. Start by bombing everything. If you don't like that then, uh, I guess coming back to it when you're leagues better is always an option.

Cor

« Reply #435 on: August 23, 2012, 05:14:08 PM »
Heh, funny. I never liked Nazrin's first spell at all. But then again, I'm an advocate for memotrash. Don't you have to learn the stages in other Touhous too? The end part of stage 3 is pretty easy, because again, memotrash. When you learn it, you'll perfect it 90% of the time. Even managing resources isn't so bad. The UFO system adds great variety to resource collection too. You can easily afford 2 deaths on every stage to have enough resources for the last boss.

Lepetit89

• Deranged Collector
« Reply #436 on: August 23, 2012, 07:44:03 PM »
Memotrash sounds awfully negative considering that the actual execution isn't always easy.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #437 on: August 23, 2012, 07:51:10 PM »
I decided to try a credit-feed run of UFO lunatic.
I stopped at Stage 3 because it wasn't fun.

I will be perfectly content with never clearing this game (for now) because it's so stupid on so many levels.
Memorize stages to have any hope of having enough resources to clear the bosses? check
Stupid spellcards/nonspells/stage parts? check (look at the post Ichirin section.  Tell me that isn't all memotrash.)

There is nothing remotely fun about UFO lunatic outside of...Nazrin Rod?  Maybe?  Even then it's pretty freaking stupid.  I don't know how ANYONE could enjoy this.  Now if you'll excuse me, back to trying to figure out how to get the last parts of MoF lunatic consistent so I can get that NB lunatic clear.

Well, some people like that level of difficulty. From my perspective, UFO is a fun romp because once you do memorize what comes where (and I promise it's a lot less painful than most people say), it becomes a game of balancing resources. That, and the boss patterns are legit tough, and never stop being tough. That's what I like - after all, nothing's quite as much fun as overcoming a tough attack (or blasting it in the face with exorcism dance >.>).

But, even if you're saying that out of frustration, I won't let you get away with saying the game is unfair. Some parts are unreasonable, but most everything has rhyme and reason, and can be learned. And by "learn," I mean figure out how to approach it - there's a lot that you'll never get 100% of the time. But the game gives you enough resources that you can pull through if you know what you're doing.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

crystalgreatsword

• Spin, Aya, spin!
« Reply #438 on: August 23, 2012, 09:55:36 PM »
You guys are going on about UFO lunatic while I've never even seen Byakuren's final card on Normal. Heh, that's how bad I am at UFO  :V

I think school is messing with my Touhou skills.

I messed up Hand Strike "Fist Smash" which is a card I usually capture, as well as Kogasa's Night Train card, and Capsize "Dragging Anchor". My UFO collection is also subpar. Usually I'll have full lives by Nue midboss in Stage four but today I had four.

Oh well, gotta go try again.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #439 on: August 23, 2012, 10:13:07 PM »
Memotrash sounds awfully negative considering that the actual execution isn't always easy.
As far as I can tell it's memorize or die/bomb in a bunch of places in Stage 3.

I quite like stage 4 and 5 of UFO lunatic. Stage 3 wasn't so bad once I got around, say, 100 practice runs.
Then again, I play SanaeB, who has a bigger room for error when fairies are all over the place (ReimuA is better for stage 3 though).
Never played those stages.  I detest Stage 3 though.

Don't you have to learn the stages in other Touhous too? ... The UFO system adds great variety to resource collection too. You can easily afford 2 deaths on every stage to have enough resources for the last boss.
Yes, but to a much lesser extent.  I feel that to get those resources, I need to memorize the stages and then still not screw up.

Start by bombing everything. If you don't like that then, uh, I guess coming back to it when you're leagues better is always an option.
That's what I did.  Failed to Ichirin's opener because Stage 3 is awful.  I probably will come back to it later (like a half a year or so when my random dodging is better) because I hate memorizing stages beyond Stage 1 (because that happens pretty naturally)

Well, some people like that level of difficulty.
But, even if you're saying that out of frustration, I won't let you get away with saying the game is unfair.
I never want another UFO.  Never.  I don't think I said it was unfair, I do however think that Stage 3 is very badly designed.

edit: all of the above pretty much only applies to lunatic.  Hard mode was fine when I went through that and got destroyed, you didn't need to memorize although it helped a lot.

fondue

• excuse me
« Reply #440 on: August 23, 2012, 10:19:56 PM »
Freeze to win.
I tried
SO MUCH DELAY FFFFFFFFFFFFF-

Lepetit89

• Deranged Collector
« Reply #441 on: August 23, 2012, 10:38:54 PM »
As far as I can tell it's memorize or die/bomb in a bunch of places in Stage 3.

I still don't get what the trash is aimed at it. Implies "trash" that it's easy or that you just don't like memorizing it? From the sound of it, you don't seem to like it. Look at the bright side, the fact that it can, or rather has, to be memorized is what makes it playable in the first place. Planning UFO routes would be nigh impossible if everything were random.

Still, if you think memorizing things is stupid, you should just try developing a working UFO route while considering each stage's layout and then tell me that it's trash or "stupid" - it's absolutely beautiful when executed correctly and takes a lot of planning sometimes, but it's a lot of fun.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #442 on: August 23, 2012, 11:02:13 PM »
Mountain of Faith normal 120 FPS attempt...failed to the final spellcard...with 149993530 points.
I can do this, but...I feel that should have been the run.

crystalgreatsword

• Spin, Aya, spin!
« Reply #443 on: August 23, 2012, 11:34:08 PM »
I got decimated by Maze of Love.
It was the second time I made it to that spell.

I have a strangely hard time with Laevatein. I think that Four of a Kind is easier, even though Laevatein is static.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #444 on: August 24, 2012, 01:15:21 AM »
You guys are going on about UFO lunatic while I've never even seen Byakuren's final card on Normal. Heh, that's how bad I am at UFO  :V

To be perfectly fair, I don't think you've been playing that long, yeah? It takes quite a long time to build up to something like UFO lunatic. :p

I never want another UFO.  Never.  I don't think I said it was unfair, I do however think that Stage 3 is very badly designed.

I'll give you that one. UFO stage 3 is kind of the bottleneck of the game. In any run of mine, those that do badly will end around stage 3, while if I can get past Ichirin I will almost always at least reach Shou. Still, there are ways around its icky design.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

crystalgreatsword

• Spin, Aya, spin!
« Reply #445 on: August 24, 2012, 01:28:18 AM »
To be perfectly fair, I don't think you've been playing that long, yeah? It takes quite a long time to build up to something like UFO lunatic. :p

I guess you're right. I've started playing around late May this year. Not very long at all. But I'm not really looking forward to my Lunatic runs of the future :V

Anyway, my little brother was watching me practice Stage 6 TD Normal. I wasn't really taking it seriously and we were both goofing off. It resulted in the derpiest gameplay ever with me dying at the end of my bombs because I forgot to move down from on top of the boss and my brother purposely coughing in my ear and making me run into amulets. Basically, whenever my brother's around, my gameplay performance drops severely. :P
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 01:39:04 AM by crystalgreatsword »

Seppo Hovi

« Reply #446 on: August 24, 2012, 12:55:16 PM »
I now have two 997M PCB extra scores.

This time it's by timing out Ultimate Buddhist on ReimuA.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #447 on: August 24, 2012, 04:53:48 PM »
So! Upgraded my OS, and therewith accidentally deleted my replays for Double Spoiler. No biggie - just decided to go back and have a do-over. It's fun enough where I don't mind playing multiple times.

Check out the following replay. Actually had to pause from playing until my laughter stopped.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

fondue

• excuse me
« Reply #448 on: August 24, 2012, 05:18:43 PM »
So! Upgraded my OS, and therewith accidentally deleted my replays for Double Spoiler. No biggie - just decided to go back and have a do-over. It's fun enough where I don't mind playing multiple times.

Check out the following replay. Actually had to pause from playing until my laughter stopped.
Oh great job :V

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #449 on: August 24, 2012, 05:24:00 PM »
Oh great job :V

* Tengukami bows

Thank you, I was pretty proud of this failure myself.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."