Author Topic: What do you want to never happen in Touhou?  (Read 67987 times)

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
Re: What do you want to never happen in Touhou?
« Reply #120 on: May 28, 2012, 06:53:47 PM »
I'd hate to see some kind of "all star" game; all the most popular characters brought together in one game, just to celebrate their popularity. That's like the equivalent of a "best of" album from a musician. You know it's over when they try to sell a compilation of old stuff as a new body of work.
By that train of thought, I do would want to see the metaphorical equivalent of a live-album!
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

DeltaSierra4

• Behind each smile
  • is ten thousand sorrows
« Reply #121 on: May 28, 2012, 07:25:24 PM »
I'd hate to see some kind of "all star" game; all the most popular characters brought together in one game, just to celebrate their popularity. That's like the equivalent of a "best of" album from a musician. You know it's over when they try to sell a compilation of old stuff as a new body of work.

I'd second that - it would make some of us feel that their favorite characters that did not make it into the "popular characters" list are being ignored :(
"Times will bring that up over and over again. It's like I'm dying from my mental hemophilia... Forgetting the past is easier said than done. You know it dies hard, and when it dies, it dies with you."

« Reply #122 on: May 28, 2012, 08:00:34 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85bE4NlzrLE
Things you hate come true, things you like will never come true.

I don't think that's about the popular characters. It's more like every character they could fit in
EDIT: Is that playable in any form?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 08:18:09 PM by Hinacle »

« Reply #123 on: May 28, 2012, 08:44:36 PM »
Now, back to topic: I'd like to avoid seeing second loops in Touhou, even if they're just for Lunatic and maybe Hard. While that would be a good way to distinguish Easy/Normal and Hard/Lunatic, it wouldn't fit too well with how Touhou works IMO.

I agree. I find loops to be pretty stupid myself because of how skilled players trying to clear said loop will be forced to play through the first round every time which becomes tedious as you start building some competence at the loop. Touhou have always stuck with it's difficulty settings and that's how it should always be.

Zil

« Reply #124 on: May 28, 2012, 09:20:34 PM »
I'd hate to see some kind of "all star" game; all the most popular characters brought together in one game, just to celebrate their popularity.
I have to say, the fighting games always came across this way to me.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #125 on: May 29, 2012, 01:30:41 AM »

Fortunately this appears to be a fan work, so I haven't thrown a chair through a closed window.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

SuccinctAndPunchy

• Fear The Melon!
  • I would murder all of you for a cup of tea.
« Reply #126 on: May 29, 2012, 06:45:37 AM »

EDIT: Is that playable in any form?

I second this, because I think that looks awesome.

And what?

TAKE IT CACODEMON!!

• OKAY THEN I'M A LEGAL AIDE
  • AND ERIN BROCKOVICH IS MY NAAAME
« Reply #127 on: May 29, 2012, 07:49:04 PM »
A Hollywood Touhou made to please western audiences.  The amount of facepalm I can't even imagine if there's ever a trailer or announcement of it somewhere.   :ohdear:

Late-ass reply, but honestly, with the amount of stupid gag doujin and idiotic "oh my god this touhoe is SO EVIL!!", Hollywood would make a better adaptation than those. :V
Sonata of Scarlet Sunflowers, a Flandre x Yuuka story. | Laziness of Daemonic Wastrels, wherein The Dude, Frylock, HW Guy, and David Wong get their asses kicked in Gensokyo.  | T.O.U.H.O.U.: Land of Shadows, a S.T.A.L.K.E.R./Touhou crossover. | Abomination, a monster story.

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
« Reply #128 on: May 31, 2012, 12:24:47 AM »
I have to say, the fighting games always came across this way to me.
So true.  Hell, SWR only added 5 characters (Reisen, Komachi, Aya, Iku, & Tenshi) and didn't include Hong Meiling.

Though I'll add one to this list...  Another fighting game using IaMP/SWR's engine.  It's 2012, time to move on past low-res sprites and static backgrounds.

« Reply #129 on: May 31, 2012, 02:17:27 AM »
Let's take a look at the roster.
IaMP had, IIRC:
Reimu, Marisa, Alice, Patchouli, Sakuya, Youmu, Remilia, Suika, Yuyuko, and Yukari. Plus Meiling, though she didn't have a story mode.
Reimu and Marisa can be crossed off because they're the main protagonists of the series.
At the time the game was released (following IN, I believe), Sakuya had been in the previous three games, twice as a playable character, so we can cross her off.
Suika was new, so cross her off.
Meiling belongs in a fighting game, 'nuff said.
Now we have Alice, Patchouli, Youmu, Remilia, Yuyuko, and Yukari. Here things get a bit less clear cut.
I'd say Youmu belongs in a fighting game too, and the rest are there because, having links to characters already in the roster, they have more of a reason to be there than, say, Rumia or Letty.
Patchouli, Remilia, and Yukari also have reasons to be in the game because they're related to Suika in one way or another.
You could also argue they just included all the previously playable characters first, (Reimu, Marisa, Sakuya, Yukari, Alice, Remilia, Youmu and Yuyuko), added Suika as a new boss, and threw in Meiling for fightyness and Patchouli to finish the SDM crew (sans Flandre, who I believe is fairly popular, and thus should've been included if IaMP was meant to be an all-star roster).

SWR had the same roster plus a few additions. We can cross off all the above because they were already in the previous game, and replacing them would be more jarring than leaving them in.
Iku and Tenshi are new, and Aya lives on the mountain half the characters have to climb up, obvious choice. Momiji would've almost certainly been there too if she'd been a boss instead of a midboss.
I can't think of a reason Reisen or Komachi would be there off the top of my head (other than to put in a character from IN and PoFV, and the whole shinigami-celestial thing), but then, I've never seen any indication that they're particularly popular either.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 08:51:18 AM by haoreos2 »

« Reply #130 on: May 31, 2012, 07:45:16 PM »
Plus, Alice, Yukari, Yuyuko and Remilia were all playable in Imperishable Night, which, while taking place after IaMP in continuity was released a few months earlier.  So they might fall under "previously playable characters" like Sakuya.  Youmu too.

Teewee

• In the forest, lazing around...
  • ...building nothing but clay castles.
« Reply #131 on: May 31, 2012, 08:59:22 PM »
I'd hate it if any of the characters would start hating on negroes. Especially my favorites :(

Tengukami

« Reply #132 on: May 31, 2012, 09:02:53 PM »
I'd hate it if any of the characters would start hating on negroes. Especially my favorites :(

*boggles*

How would this even ... why ... what?

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Drake

« Reply #133 on: May 31, 2012, 09:08:36 PM »
where the bloody fuck did that come from

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

fondue

• excuse me
« Reply #134 on: May 31, 2012, 09:10:25 PM »
lolwut

Teewee

« Reply #135 on: May 31, 2012, 09:14:01 PM »
I just wanted to throw something relevant to this topic...never expected people to react that way o_o also to clarify, when i said "especially my favorites", i meant my favorite touhous. I don't..have...yeah  :ohdear:

Uh, nvm *still feels awkward*
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 10:03:11 PM by TEspeon »

Tengukami

« Reply #136 on: May 31, 2012, 09:15:31 PM »
I mean, uh, yeah, I'd hate it, too, if ZUN sat down and designed a Touhou character who was a hardcore racist against Africans. But I think Mima will come back before that happens.

My favorite part was "especially my favorites". Like if it was a lesser-liked character you could be, "Eh, well, sucks that Chen turned out to be a racist, but at least it wasn't Yukari!"

Teewee

« Reply #137 on: May 31, 2012, 09:18:13 PM »
Oh, that. I meant to express that it'd hurt me a lot even if it wasn't one of my fave touhous being racist (I do have a negro fancy...don't ask), but it'd just hurt even more if it was one of my faves, like Merlin, Tenshi, or Kasen.

Tengukami

« Reply #138 on: May 31, 2012, 09:22:05 PM »
Don't worry, I understood. Just thought it was funny that it'd be slightly less terrible if it was a character you hated who was racist.

What a weird conversation this is turning into.

Teewee

« Reply #139 on: May 31, 2012, 09:33:43 PM »
Yup, and thanks for understanding ^^; I do admit the reactions I got (not blaming you guys) amused me in a way it shouldn't have... I'll add something else, hehe...

I'd hate it if there was an ending in canon that was extremely dark. Like some Avatar of Gensokyo singing a song like this in the context of some Gensokyo Armageddon. It'd be so unlike the series  :ohdear:
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 09:48:25 PM by TEspeon »

draganuv15

« Reply #140 on: June 03, 2012, 09:51:16 PM »
Now here is something more of a rant about something that has already sort of happened, a sort of carbon copy of an already beloved character (Reimu -> Sanae)

Now, I really don't HATE Sanae, but I find her to be my least favourite character for about 2 or more reasons.
First of is pretty obvious, She is a Shrine Maiden, who exposes her armpits and pretty much does little work from what I've seen (I think Kanako handles everything or something) and is trying to increase Faith in her shrine by any means possible and exposes her armpits. I not a big fan of cloned characters... And seeing as Reimu is one of my favourite characters, that makes me like it even less.

Second is her ability, Thaumaturgy? That's a pretty powerful ability, but we don't really see it put to it's biggest extent (Except for her attacks in DS, which look nigh impossible to complete. But that's a spin off so...) Unlike Reimu who uses hers to float BETWEEN THE BOUNDARIES OF WORLDS AND STILL BE ABLE TO KICK YOUR ASS (But it's Reimu so what can you expect?)

Third is she seems a little... bland personality wise I mean her design doesn't look TOO much like Reimu, but she seems a little too boring for me... She seems like one of those average brainy people (with added sadism) and I never really got into those kind of characters (I mean look how fast it takes her to deduce the shadow from UNL is a robot.)

I know some of you ARE going to disagree on this but I just wanted to give a personal opinion and this seems like the thread to do it (Talking about things we don't want to happen) so yeah, personal opinion and you can correct me as much as you want, it's just my overall opinion on her and carbon-copies.

Kami-sama!

• All hail the great Kami-sama!
« Reply #141 on: June 03, 2012, 10:16:11 PM »
Now here is something more of a rant about something that has already sort of happened, a sort of carbon copy of an already beloved character (Reimu -> Sanae)

Now, I really don't HATE Sanae, but I find her to be my least favourite character for about 2 or more reasons.
First of is pretty obvious, She is a Shrine Maiden, who exposes her armpits and pretty much does little work from what I've seen (I think Kanako handles everything or something) and is trying to increase Faith in her shrine by any means possible and exposes her armpits. I not a big fan of cloned characters... And seeing as Reimu is one of my favourite characters, that makes me like it even less.

Second is her ability, Thaumaturgy? That's a pretty powerful ability, but we don't really see it put to it's biggest extent (Except for her attacks in DS, which look nigh impossible to complete. But that's a spin off so...) Unlike Reimu who uses hers to float BETWEEN THE BOUNDARIES OF WORLDS AND STILL BE ABLE TO KICK YOUR ASS (But it's Reimu so what can you expect?)

Third is she seems a little... bland personality wise I mean her design doesn't look TOO much like Reimu, but she seems a little too boring for me... She seems like one of those average brainy people (with added sadism) and I never really got into those kind of characters (I mean look how fast it takes her to deduce the shadow from UNL is a robot.)

I know some of you ARE going to disagree on this but I just wanted to give a personal opinion and this seems like the thread to do it (Talking about things we don't want to happen) so yeah, personal opinion and you can correct me as much as you want, it's just my overall opinion on her and carbon-copies.

Ya know, I kinda think Sanae of kind of a crossover between Mima and Reimu. With Mima's physical traits and Reimu's...well...job.

Teewee

« Reply #142 on: June 03, 2012, 10:43:20 PM »
Huh, I see. I get what you mean; most touhou characters have little depth. But, considering that Sanae'll probably appear in more canon, you may end up liking her, I think.

draganuv15

« Reply #143 on: June 03, 2012, 10:51:24 PM »
Huh, I see. I get what you mean; most touhou characters have little depth. But, considering that Sanae'll probably appear in more canon, you may end up liking her, I think.
Seeing as I really don't like her now (and the fact she replaced Sakuya, my third favourite Touhou character) I'm not going to WANT to see her become more canon... We already have on OP shrine maiden who has amazing pits.

Drake

« Reply #144 on: June 03, 2012, 11:37:37 PM »
i'll bite

Personally I think the reasons you have for disliking Sanae are silly (bet you didn't see that coming!!). I can appeal to the dislike of character copies, but it's your claim that she is a carbon copy that I have a problem with. If you look at basically any source after MoF you can easily see that Sanae is well indeed her own character. You can probably find many characters in Touhou that act pretty much the same simply because they don't have a good background, but Sanae (especially in WaHH) is pretty clearly unique, and the more works she's in, the more clearly you'll see differences between her and Reimu.

Exposing armpits? Seriously? That to begin with is just a fandom thing, and applying it to yet another character and then claiming it's copying is pretty much "wat".

Sanae's work as a shrine maiden is gathering faith at the human village. Not sure what you mean by "any means possible" considering she doesn't even perform miracles very often (which you even noted?). Naturally, as Kanako and Suwako can manifest in Gensokyo and do matters on their own, actually gathering faith isn't their prime objective anyways. Developing Gensokyo (particularly Youkai Mountain) is Kanako's current objective. Sanae doesn't really need to perform many duties. Also note that when Reimu is kidnapped in WaHH, Sanae even takes over her shrine duties.

Not using her ability as a living god very often is a point to be made, but it should be no reason to dislike a character. Most characters are never seen actually using their abilities to begin with. Your mention of Reimu's ability is a actually a pretty crummy one considering it's the godhax one that she only shows in danmaku, once. Some of Reimu's other abilities are far more interesting, in my opinion.

How do you complain about Sanae being boring when she's one of the most eccentric characters in the series, and then you compare her to Reimu, of all people. Moreover, why are you pointing out that unlike Reimu she isn't shown using her powers, and that she's a brainy ditz, and boring, but she's somehow also a carbon copy of Reimu. You're pointing out things that contradict your earlier claims.

The whole sadism thing in UFO was just an extension of her eccentricity that was fueled by fans (although I do think she was oddly written in UFO). Obviously it's all danmaku, and once she figured out (in SA) that part of the liveliness in Gensokyo is just having fun picking fights with people, she adapted it. People don't seem to realize that there is some actual character development going on in Touhou. It's like people criticize the series for being one-dimensional but then just choose to cling to the actual one-dimensional fan interpretations and ignore all the actual meat that is indeed present in the series. Derp.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 11:41:12 PM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

draganuv15

« Reply #145 on: June 04, 2012, 11:17:16 AM »
i'll bite

Personally I think the reasons you have for disliking Sanae are silly (bet you didn't see that coming!!). I can appeal to the dislike of character copies, but it's your claim that she is a carbon copy that I have a problem with. If you look at basically any source after MoF you can easily see that Sanae is well indeed her own character. You can probably find many characters in Touhou that act pretty much the same simply because they don't have a good background, but Sanae (especially in WaHH) is pretty clearly unique, and the more works she's in, the more clearly you'll see differences between her and Reimu.

Exposing armpits? Seriously? That to begin with is just a fandom thing, and applying it to yet another character and then claiming it's copying is pretty much "wat".

Sanae's work as a shrine maiden is gathering faith at the human village. Not sure what you mean by "any means possible" considering she doesn't even perform miracles very often (which you even noted?). Naturally, as Kanako and Suwako can manifest in Gensokyo and do matters on their own, actually gathering faith isn't their prime objective anyways. Developing Gensokyo (particularly Youkai Mountain) is Kanako's current objective. Sanae doesn't really need to perform many duties. Also note that when Reimu is kidnapped in WaHH, Sanae even takes over her shrine duties.

Not using her ability as a living god very often is a point to be made, but it should be no reason to dislike a character. Most characters are never seen actually using their abilities to begin with. Your mention of Reimu's ability is a actually a pretty crummy one considering it's the godhax one that she only shows in danmaku, once. Some of Reimu's other abilities are far more interesting, in my opinion.

How do you complain about Sanae being boring when she's one of the most eccentric characters in the series, and then you compare her to Reimu, of all people. Moreover, why are you pointing out that unlike Reimu she isn't shown using her powers, and that she's a brainy ditz, and boring, but she's somehow also a carbon copy of Reimu. You're pointing out things that contradict your earlier claims.

The whole sadism thing in UFO was just an extension of her eccentricity that was fueled by fans (although I do think she was oddly written in UFO). Obviously it's all danmaku, and once she figured out (in SA) that part of the liveliness in Gensokyo is just having fun picking fights with people, she adapted it. People don't seem to realize that there is some actual character development going on in Touhou. It's like people criticize the series for being one-dimensional but then just choose to cling to the actual one-dimensional fan interpretations and ignore all the actual meat that is indeed present in the series. Derp.

I see, I guess most of my reasons are pretty silly and I never really read any of the novels because I usually can't get my hands on them. And I GUESS comparing her to Reimu and not even showing anything in common in them makes me look really stupid... Thanks for clearing things up Drake, Next time I'll try to put a little more thought into what I say. Thank you.

« Reply #146 on: June 04, 2012, 01:08:26 PM »
That Buront and his stupid meme crossover. I swear if that thing becomes canon, I would leave Touhou and never touch or bring it up ever again!
Anything else is fine...

SuccinctAndPunchy

• Fear The Melon!
  • I would murder all of you for a cup of tea.
« Reply #147 on: June 04, 2012, 03:31:14 PM »

where the bloody fuck did that come from

Oh my god I haven't laughed at a forum thread for quite a long time.  :getdown:

iK

• Triple Teasing Charicature
« Reply #148 on: June 04, 2012, 05:43:10 PM »

I always thought UFO!Sanae was just a little genki and nerding out over her chance to play real-life space invaders. She seemed to take it literally as a game the whole way through, probably because it was something she never got to experience before. She was more immersed in the happenings than in the feelings of the Youkai, not due to sadistic reasons at all.
[☰] [☴] [☵] [☶] [☷] [☳] [☲] [☱]

Araceli Caralyz

• A mus~! oxo
  • Touhou Fan, US Army NG Veteran & NICET Certified,
    • What I am up to~
« Reply #149 on: June 04, 2012, 06:52:40 PM »
I think I would dislike it if Gensokyo suddenly was overtaken by the technology of the outside world. I mean yeah, they use this stuff now, but if a "Modern" Gensokyo was to come about, that would just make me nostalgic of the former Gensokyo (think of Pc-98 to windows games)