Author Topic: Thoughts on Gensokyo  (Read 25875 times)

Vael

• Weaver of Illusions, Shaman of Dreams
Re: Thoughts on Gensokyo
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2012, 07:11:59 PM »
Oh no cuc! I was actually enjoying myself as I read that debate, it was illuminating to say the least.

Okay, I know of the Radio Tower, OSP is like one of my favorite slice-of-life manga after all, the tower itself is in the Forest of Magic, so what I said about the forest still holds true...though that means I'm going need to deal with the Three Mischievous Fairies (hoh boy). The Genbu Ravine, wasn't that Xuanwu's Ravine in SaBND? Need to reread that chapter in that case.

The last bit about the Hermit's Home...hmm, that might be an interesting starting point, yeah...that would be interesting since some Dingaka could be seen as Hermits who could communicate with all of nature as well.

And those maps are pretty awesome, I also posted a video of a minecraft version of Gensokyo as well in the intro page if you haven't checked it out, how accurate do you think it is?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 07:23:36 PM by Vael »

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2012, 08:28:14 PM »
The Minecraft Gensokyo is pretty famous at my place. I have no idea about its accuracy. I think being totally accurate isn't their goal?

As of Three Fairies of Light, they have moved to the Hakurei shrine tree struck by lightning since the end of SaBND (2009). Of course they can still play pranks in the Magic Forest.

Remilia's leaves open the possibility that those humans aren't killed, but Flandre's does not
Flandre? More mistranslations from the wiki (and probably the English patch?)
Perhaps she doesn't even know whether there's any difference between what she eats and living humans.
ZUN has been throwing us ambiguities since 2002. The profile actually says perhaps Flandre can't tell if there's any difference between her human blood food and living humans, (because the food tastes just like human, or because she has never tasted living human?) i.e. her mind is undeveloped, and she doesn't know anything about life.

Now I can imagine Yukari putting blood bags into SDM's kitchen every day, and Sakuya taking them to make cookies and red tea.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 09:02:42 PM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Error

• No escape.
  • ˙ǝdɐɔsǝ oN
« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2012, 11:23:07 PM »
'tis a shame that the crazy theories thread is locked, I had quite a few of them.
Anyways...
Remilia is a light eater, and her victims rarely die from blood loss.
Flandre, on the other hand...

Yukari probably just drops people into Gensokyo as a form of entertainment.
I don't think their fate would concern her that much.

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
  • Spring Time is Healing Time~
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2012, 09:44:42 PM »
Flandre? More mistranslations from the wiki (and probably the English patch?)ZUN has been throwing us ambiguities since 2002. The profile actually says perhaps Flandre can't tell if there's any difference between her human blood food and living humans, (because the food tastes just like human, or because she has never tasted living human?) i.e. her mind is undeveloped, and she doesn't know anything about life.
I remember hearing once that she would freak out when she tried to drink a human's blood and winds up blowing the living crap out, or atleast the fact of not knowing how to attack humans properly (whatever that is) could prevent her from being able to really tqste unprepared blood.

Vael

« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2012, 12:43:44 AM »
Final poke, so far it looks like I have a choice between the Radio Tower, Genbu's Ravine, and the Giant Toad's Pond to survive to get to the nearest safe haven. Any thoughts before I figure out the next leg?

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2012, 07:45:44 AM »
If I remember correctly, in Oriental Sacred Place, Yukari mentioned that for something to crossover to Gensokyo it needs to be forgotten by the Outside World...it's kinda hard to be completely forgotten when you're a human being.
That rule tends to get broken, a lot.

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2012, 01:11:45 AM »
I almost want to say raidio tower because I'd think that be cool, but considering all the nasties that live in the forest, might not be a good thing in the end...

OtakuGray

• It's time to D-D-D-DANMAKU!
  • When you lose your way, you can blame the fairies
    • BecauselmGray - AMVs, Replays, Etc...
« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2012, 07:04:43 AM »
If you were to die in Gensokyo, would your soul instantly be transported to Yuyoko?

Or maybe, you could get judged by Yamaxanadu and get re-incarnated in the human village...

I'm not too sure how death works in Gensokyo, especially cuz I haven't read up on much... :(

Drake

« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2012, 07:50:07 AM »
You die, you cross the Road of Liminality, you get sent to the Sanzu River, where Komachi ferries you to Higan. You must pay her, and the more money you have the shorter the trip (it's based on Komachi's mood, basically). The money you use comes from your goodly deeds and how many people care about you and that sort of thing. The longer the trip, the more possible it is that Komachi drops you and you're destroyed (not very likely, though). You get to Higan and the Yama judges you based on your entire life and send you to Heaven, Hell, or somewhere else (the Netherworld, reincarnation, etc).

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

OtakuGray

• It's time to D-D-D-DANMAKU!
  • When you lose your way, you can blame the fairies
    • BecauselmGray - AMVs, Replays, Etc...
« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2012, 08:19:39 AM »
You die, you cross the Road of Liminality, you get sent to the Sanzu River, where Komachi ferries you to Higan. You must pay her, and the more money you have the shorter the trip (it's based on Komachi's mood, basically). The money you use comes from your goodly deeds and how many people care about you and that sort of thing. The longer the trip, the more possible it is that Komachi drops you and you're destroyed (not very likely, though). You get to Higan and the Yama judges you based on your entire life and send you to Heaven, Hell, or somewhere else (the Netherworld, reincarnation, etc).

So if you are a godly nice person, everyone loves you, you are good at sweet-talking your way out of bad situations, and could get all the way to the yama, is it possible that's a legit way to get to Gensokyo?

Drake

« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2012, 08:25:33 AM »
No, that only goes for deaths in Gensokyo. Shikieiki is only the Yama of Gensokyo, there would be a different set of circumstances for the outside world. I suppose it could be a possibility, but asking or wanting to go to Gensokyo doesn't affect a Yama's decision. The Yama can see through all intentions, in any case.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Vael

« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2012, 09:12:36 AM »
If you were to die in Gensokyo, would your soul instantly be transported to Yuyoko?

Or maybe, you could get judged by Yamaxanadu and get re-incarnated in the human village...

I'm not too sure how death works in Gensokyo, especially cuz I haven't read up on much... :(
If I remember correctly, Lady Yuyuko's realm is where souls who could not be judged for some reason are sent.

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2012, 11:25:06 AM »
If I remember correctly, Lady Yuyuko's realm is where souls who could not be judged for some reason are sent.
As far as I remember, it's kinda like a waiting area for those souls to go their fate for some reason.

Error

• No escape.
  • ˙ǝdɐɔsǝ oN
« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2012, 07:25:14 PM »
If anything, it seems that outsiders are more likely to enter Gensokyo on their own via Muenzuka or the Road of Reconsideration.
Granted, both aren't strictly part of Gensokyo, but you'd stand a good chance of finding it if you didn't become a yo(u)kai's meal first.

OkashiiKisei

• Still working on the Grimoire
  • It's all about devotion
« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2012, 02:39:40 PM »
The Netherworld is basically the 'neutral' area of the afterlife. If you're a horrible sinner, you go to Hell. If you're enlightened, you go to Heaven. But if you are neither, you end up in the Netherworld, to await your next reincarnation. Some souls like the Netherworld so much though that they eternally stay there.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2012, 03:07:06 PM »
And sometimes Yuyuko takes a shine to you, and steals you for herself.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

Vael

« Reply #76 on: June 16, 2012, 02:06:29 PM »
Sorry I've been taking so long on this next bit, but I have some proper free time now and I should be able to scope out how to survive the next bit.

Now as far as I understand, there is a three way tie between the Radio Tower, Giant Toad Pond, and Genbu's Ravine for my next step, Survival and getting to a safe place. Gonna roll a d6 for the next step.

« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2012, 07:02:27 AM »
Radio Tower is in the Forest of Magic, so it is isn't too bad. Just hope that you meet up with Marisa or Alice and they will get you to safety.