Author Topic: Advance Wars By Web!  (Read 26837 times)

Yugian

• Humble Blacksmith
  • If the soul preserves, Then Limits dont Exist.
Re: Advance Wars By Web!
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2012, 01:49:50 AM »
@Stuffman- Sure, i'll play you again. You want to start the game this time? I'll play by your rules.

@Zil- You ninja. XD
Uh, have you ever played advance wars?
Edit: herp dederp. im stupid upon a reread.
It works fairly close to a touch screen sort of feel. no take backs on moves sadly.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 01:54:22 AM by Yugian »

Zil

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2012, 01:54:00 AM »
Oh yes, I've played the hell out of AW, just never "by web."

Sorry about being a ninja. :derp: If you want a rematch against Stuffman go ahead.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2012, 01:54:06 AM »
It's all played in-browser.

Click on Waiting games in the sidebar (Private is for games with passwords) to pick a game to join, you'll pick your country and CO when you do. Once all the player slots are filled, the host can begin the game at any time.

Click Your Games to view the games you're in, including ones that haven't started yet. If the game hasn't started yet, you can change your CO or your country's color. The player whose turn it is is shown in bold.

You play it with the mouse, works pretty much how you would expect. Click on bases to build units. Click on units to move them, and then again after they've moved to choose Fire, which will bring up a list of available targets. Note: There's no "B Button" on AWBW so think carefully before you move a unit. You need to do some math in your head to estimate how much damage an attack will do before you move next to the enemy unit.

When your powers get filled up you can click the icons for them in the player list.

Any specific questions?

Yugian:
Stuffman vs Yugian, Pass: kerfluffle. This map. Pretty straightforward. Note the OS ghost infantry: they make it so that while you can capture the airports they're on, you can't build from them. Think of them as Temporary Airports from DoR.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 02:06:52 AM by Stuffman »

Yugian

• Humble Blacksmith
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2012, 01:56:20 AM »
@Zil - I'll have that game and your game if you want. Stuffman explained it better then me too for how the interface works... so... yeah.  :derp:

@Stuffman- Alright. Edit in the game name and password if it has a name when its up.

Zil

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2012, 02:07:31 AM »
@Zil - I'll have that game and your game if you want. Stuffman explained it better then me too for how the interface works... so... yeah.  :derp:
If you mean you can set up a seperate game from the one with Stuffman, then sure.

Yugian

• Humble Blacksmith
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2012, 02:10:22 AM »
If you mean you can set up a seperate game from the one with Stuffman, then sure.
No, we must roll for anal circumference together!  :3

Kidding, kidding. Yeah, i can get a game set up. i had some earlier posting of maps... let me go grab them... any of these tickle your fancy?
Map 1
http://awbw.amarriner.com/prevmaps.php?maps_id=57586

Map 2
http://awbw.amarriner.com/prevmaps.php?maps_id=57939

Map 3
http://awbw.amarriner.com/prevmaps.php?maps_id=49969

@Stuffman - Huh. never did play DoR, but this looks like a pretty cool map. The OS ghosts make me lol though.
Alright. GLHF, heres to hoping to more then 12 days. XD
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 02:15:55 AM by Yugian »

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2012, 02:16:08 AM »
Zil: I'll make a game for us too. Stuffman vs Zil, pass kerfluffle. A pretty basic map for a first game.

Zil

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2012, 02:22:12 AM »
@Yugian: The second one looks cool. Do the labs do anything or is it just a fancy looking city?

@Stuffman: Okay, I joined as Lash. It's been over a year since I played, so you'll probably crush me. :V

Yugian

• Humble Blacksmith
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2012, 02:24:37 AM »
@Zil- Uh... look cool i guess. i never got what "Lab" meant. *Still shows some green. and not by being europe Green earth.*

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2012, 02:27:53 AM »
Labs are a custom feature in AWBW, inspired by the labs in AW2.

When you create a game, you can choose certain units to be "lab units", and then you can only build those units if you own a lab.

Labs are also an alternate HQ. If you have multiple HQs, then if one gets captured you instantly lose, but labs are different in that you only lose if all of them are captured.

Yugian

• Humble Blacksmith
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2012, 02:30:27 AM »
OH.  :derp:

oh.  :ohdear:

oh.  :o

Zil

« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2012, 02:47:09 AM »
If you want to start a game there Yugian, I'll play it.

And sorry if I took forever Stuffman. I couldn't find how to end my turn.

Yugian

• Humble Blacksmith
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2012, 02:51:02 AM »
Its been made after an epic crash. Its MoTK- Game 3, 041094 is the password... rules are;
ALL CO's okay. the broken 5 are frowned upon though.
10k Starting funds, 1k per city.
No fog of war.
No tags, CO powers stay.
Random weather. Because its pro.  :derp:

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2012, 02:53:51 AM »
ALL CO's okay. the broken 5 are frowned upon though.

It's smarter to just ban them so you don't have to worry about your opponent picking one, so you can play a low-tier CO if you want.

Yugian

• Humble Blacksmith
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2012, 02:57:42 AM »
It's smarter to just ban them so you don't have to worry about your opponent picking one, so you can play a low-tier CO if you want.
...Yeah, probably should start doing that. ^^;

Edit: @Zil- LOLWUT DUAL SAMI WHAT IS THIS MADNESSSSSS.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK. *Mouse pad registered a click on artillery.*
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 03:13:18 AM by Yugian »

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2012, 05:21:33 AM »
gg Zil. I was far too reckless. Shouldn't have gone all-in when I did.

You are startlingly competent for a new player. Have you played against other people outside of AWBW somehow?

Zil

« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2012, 05:25:39 AM »
I'm not really a new player.
Spoiler:
I have over 3000 hours of gameplay in DS alone.
I'm just new AWBW.

And yes, I used to play against a few friends on occasion, and I even got my dad to play against me a few times.

Oh wait, did you surrender?

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2012, 05:28:39 AM »
Yeah, I could've held on for longer but I didn't see myself turning it around. Didn't have enough of a force left to muster a wall to stop the MdTank without terrible losses.

And yes, I used to play against a few friends on occasion, and I even got my dad to play against me a few times.
That's what I was expecting. Most players don't learn a practical playstyle by playing against the AI, so I figured you had probably gotten some experience somewhere,
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 05:35:37 AM by Stuffman »

Zil

« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2012, 05:36:28 AM »
Okay. Good game then! I thought I was sunk just after you used your Super CO Power. I agree, if you held back a bit longer after that I wouldn't have been able to stop you.

Now I have some stupid questions. :V How do use send a broadcast, and just what is "press" supposed to be?
e: It seems like press is just messages.
ee: Never mind, figured it out. :derp:
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 05:39:26 AM by Zil »

Yugian

• Humble Blacksmith
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2012, 05:40:24 AM »
 :wat:

...Well. Jesus.  :derp:
Im sort of scared to see how my game ends with Zil. if my computer stops crashing.  :ohdear:

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2012, 03:06:45 PM »
Personally, I don't care for the idea of banning COs. (Hate all you want, not changing my mind.)
Why? IT'S A GAME. Bringing in all this competitive(Yes, I know there are tournaments and it's PvP, big deal) stuff kinda ruins it IMO.
You don't play to WIN, you play to have fun.
So what if some of the COs are strong? Who cares but the folks that cling desperately to tier lists?

Yes, yes, I know it's mostly competitive, but I for one play for fun, not to become 'OMG TEH BEST EVUR!!1!1!'
After all, it's only a game.

EDIT: And another thing. The only reason why the big 5 are in the 'Broken Tier' is due to the playerbase itself, which incessantly makes maps that favor those guys. Intentionally or no.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 03:14:06 PM by Hanzo K. »
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2012, 05:21:52 PM »
Personally, I don't care for the idea of banning COs. (Hate all you want, not changing my mind.)
Why? IT'S A GAME. Bringing in all this competitive(Yes, I know there are tournaments and it's PvP, big deal) stuff kinda ruins it IMO.
You don't play to WIN, you play to have fun.
So what if some of the COs are strong? Who cares but the folks that cling desperately to tier lists?

It is not fun to play a literally unwinnable battle.

EDIT: And another thing. The only reason why the big 5 are in the 'Broken Tier' is due to the playerbase itself, which incessantly makes maps that favor those guys. Intentionally or no.

This is exactly right. If only people would make maps that didn't have any bases or cities, Grit, Colin, and Hachi would be totally balanced.  :getdown:

Seriously though, are you familiar with the term "skill ceiling"? There's a limit to how much you can do with a certain amount of money and a certain number of units, and the advantages certain COs provide can well outweigh those limits. It is not mathematically possible for Adder to beat Colin unless the Colin player is derping hard. Sorry.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2012, 05:33:38 PM »
Whatever, you have your beliefs, and I have mine.
They just happen to be on complete opposite ends of the spectrum.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Yugian

• Humble Blacksmith
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2012, 06:36:56 PM »
...You know what? Give it a shot. you two should play a game. cut the head of the serpent right here and now.

Plus, i know you've been wanting to play someone else ryoshima, why not prove yourself right via a 'might = right' deal, ya'know?

@stuffman- I think i might be on the losing end of this. Afterwards, after this match, mind if i poke you for tips?

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2012, 06:40:10 PM »
Nah, he's just gonna use a banlist, and why bother? That's just restricting one's freedom of choice.
And you know how I feel about that.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Yugian

• Humble Blacksmith
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2012, 07:49:47 PM »
Well, the entire point BEING that you guys use the broken CO's or whatever.

And if you REALLY think that he would, make your own game. your map and rules, right?  :derp:

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2012, 07:51:56 PM »
Eh, don't really feel like bothering anyhow.
I mostly made this to watch others go head-to-head anyhow, and possibly compare strategies.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Yugian

• Humble Blacksmith
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2012, 08:35:41 PM »
GG stuffman, massacred me again. Lasted a few days longer though thankfully.
Thanks for the game!

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2012, 08:39:20 PM »
Yugian: My main bit of advice for you is not to bother with recons.

Recons are only good for two things:
- Sighting in fog
- Abusing first-turn-advantage by rushing an enemy's neutral properties before they can capture them on badly-designed maps

Otherwise they attack one infantry and then get destroyed by a tank. Not worth it.

Yugian

• Humble Blacksmith
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2012, 08:48:38 PM »
Ah, really? Learned from a friend that they where designed for also hitting infantry for that second purpose, but not BECAUSE of that second purpose. Also took infantry down well enough. guess that was a bad habit i shouldn't of picked up. :derp:

Oh, and for mechs. Im not really good at using them. Anyway to make them move fast besides transports? or is it worth it to tough out that 2 movement a turn?
Also, would it of been worth that double time earlier when i had 3-4 mechs ready to do something? or would of that been the wrong call and was screwed anyway?