Author Topic: Advance Wars By Web!  (Read 26839 times)

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
Advance Wars By Web!
« on: May 02, 2012, 04:36:08 PM »
What is Advance Wars By Web?
Simple! It's a browser-based flash program(i think?) that allows you to play Advance Wars over the internet!
There's all sorts of ways to play, from AW1, all the way to AWDS! No DoR units and COs though, like Caulder and the Anti-Tank.

One of the main draws though, is the vast amount of different maps you can play on, such as the classic Spann Island, and various user-made, joke-based derivatives.
(Such as Swann Island. Spann Island, but with a more swanlike appearance.)
You can also create maps yourself! That is one of the main strong points of this game, being able to create your own maps.

-Player List-
Hanzo K. - Ryoshima
Yugian - Yugian
Garlyle - Garlyle
Affinity - Affinity
Mr.Bob - Mr.Bob
PX - ? ? ?
Ghaleon - ? ? ?(Maybe?)
Zent - zentillion
Zil - ZillionBrain
Stuffman - Stuffman
Arcorann - Arcorann
Sophilia - MiareNoKo
EdibleGhost - EdibleGhost
(More will be added as posts come in.)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 02:48:06 PM by Hanzo K. »
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

Yugian

• Humble Blacksmith
  • If the soul preserves, Then Limits dont Exist.
Re: Advance Wars By Web!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 06:46:22 PM »
Ah, found our game fun enough to throw at the maidens eh?  :3

Yeah, the game is up to Dual strike, with Advance wars 2 balancing where they can.

Anyway, you forgot one on that list there hanzo!  :V

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 07:09:53 PM »
Well, I sparked a little talk of it, and just recently made the thread for it.
But right you are! I'll fix that.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Yugian

• Humble Blacksmith
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 07:58:43 PM »
Ahhh... Well, Hopefully people will get interested. XD

On a different note; Started a private game for you hanzo. same password (041094) as per usual XD

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 08:21:49 AM »
Yup. Participating under username: Mr. Bob

Looking through the all the custom maps is pretty neat.

Affinity

• hoho
  • ... but I have promises to keep.
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 10:24:40 AM »
Will be happy to play this again.  Username: Affinity

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 01:47:40 PM »
I believe my username there is Garlyle, and yes I will play!

Yugian

• Humble Blacksmith
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 02:07:28 PM »
http://awbw.amarriner.com/game.php?games_id=169569
DAMN YOU RYOSHIMA. XD

Sweet, so we actually have some people willing to play too. XD
If anyone's got a map they like, throw it up. I'll host or join or whatever.  :V

-Useful stuff-
http://awbw.amarriner.com/charts.php -Details about their balance and whatnot.
http://awbw.amarriner.com/co.php -Details about CO's and their current balances. some details are missing though.
http://awbw.amarriner.com/calculator.php -Damage calculator. because they haven't put in 'take back movement' yet and you want to try and guess the damage of that mech before you try going up to a medtank.  :derp:
-Useful stuff over-

Oh, i personally don't mind "The broken five" (Kanbei, Colin, Sensei, Grit, Hachi) unless it becomes appallingly obvious that the odds are stacked because of their abilities (Small map when you can snipe production AND choke point by turn 3 as grit for example.). But whats your guy's opinions?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 02:25:39 PM by Yugian »

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 02:58:07 PM »
I do mind the more broken COs, personally.  I don't mind Kanbei or Grit as much as the others, though.

I DO kind of want to say something about possibly denying a couple other COs from being picked by more than one person (Drake, Olaf, Hawke, and Kindle being the ones), but that is more dependant on the number of total players than anything - nothing like suffering repeated CO powers and coming to your turn to find your entire army basically devestated even though you were never in combat, etc etc ; that, and arguably due to the nature of their CO powers, they really do simply become more and more powerful the more opponents they are, as they're simply doing more overall.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 03:20:57 PM »
Ive never really got to play multiplayer before, but i never knew that kanbei and sensei were considered op, i thought it was just colin, grit, and hachi.

Also what about sturm? Was he nerfed? Or is he just a blatant obvious no-pick =p.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 03:47:37 PM »
Dunno, but I'm giving him a shot right now. (Ian linked said match earlier, feel free to spectate!)
At any rate, we've almost got enough for that WWII Map I've wanted to play! Awesome.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

The ⑨th Zentillion

• The impeaches were delicious...
  • Now hungry for conviction!
    • Zentillion's Tumblr
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 04:11:49 PM »
Holy shit, my old account still works! :getdown:

...It's (surprise, surprise) "zentillion".
Did you bring a light?
...No...

Smash the Fash; The far right belongs in the TRASH.

Yugian

• Humble Blacksmith
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 04:56:47 PM »
@Garlyle- Oh god, i had a game with Ryoshima with Kenbei playing as my main (Sami). It SUCKED.  :ohdear:
But i still won. 6 stealth bombers does a lot when he cant hit them.  :V

But Yeah. we can do bans on certain maps. The community on that site actually bans certain CO's on a map to map bias, plus the 5, on league play. AKA, sturm being banned on a mountain heavy map, but not on another.

@Ghaleon- Sensei's considered OP with the fact he can just consta-drop and feed his CO bar. His first level is only two bars, and 15 cities will feed it again. Also, he has an infantry specialization so his drops are also ALWAYS stronger then average and can give him 15-30K in troops BEFORE he purchases.
Kenbei is actually only "just" in the 5. he's considered a borderline case; its his 20% cost for 30% flat buff for all of his troops and that samurai spirit practically makes him invincible for a turn, short of something ridiculous, like a max blast'd megatank or such, is what they decided to. i can link the post WHY the five are... well, the five.

And sturms another one of those borderline cases, but he falls short. He's EXTREMELY high tier, and banned on certain maps (Like the one im playing with Ryoshima. i just didnt enforce the ban.  :derp: ) but legit on others where he cant just walk though some high movement cost terrain and get his navy game going on turn 3-5.

Edit: I... Read that completely wrong! Sorry! :derp:
He's based off his AW2 Stats. Everyone is, save the DS exclusives, same with units and all.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 09:18:33 PM by Yugian »

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 05:02:32 PM »
Haha, yeah. That one was hella long wasn't it?
Took 37 ingame days, and 3 RL days to clear!
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Yugian

• Humble Blacksmith
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 05:20:23 PM »
Hella long, but fuuuuuun~
Well, I pushed forever, but it was slow. HOW many SCO's did you get out in that fight? Four?  :V

(Replays ftw)
http://awbw.amarriner.com/replay.php?games_id=169357

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 05:27:13 PM »
I actually lost count, but I think it was around 5 or something.
Still, that was crazy long. We both nearly had each other several times!
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Yugian

• Humble Blacksmith
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2012, 01:51:13 AM »
Bah. off by one. but still, VERY true.  :V

Bah, im posting too often and artificially keeping this alive. sorry.  :ohdear:

Oh, if anyone wants to, im starting a game. a 1 VS 1 and then one for however many people want to join it.
Passwords for these (And any game i make  :derp: ) are 041094

Oh. Rules are as follows:
ALL CO's okay. the broken 5 are frowned upon though.
10k Starting funds, 1k per city.
No fog of war.
No tags, CO powers stay.
Map's are one of the following for the 1 VS 1;
Map 1
http://awbw.amarriner.com/prevmaps.php?maps_id=57586

Map 2
http://awbw.amarriner.com/prevmaps.php?maps_id=57939

Map 3
http://awbw.amarriner.com/prevmaps.php?maps_id=49969

Zil

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2012, 05:21:15 AM »
I'm ZillionBrain at the site. I should be at least. Hopefully I can get around to trying it this weekend.

Now I'm wondering, and some have been mentioned, but just who are the "broken 5?"

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2012, 05:38:08 AM »
I'm ZillionBrain at the site. I should be at least. Hopefully I can get around to trying it this weekend.

Now I'm wondering, and some have been mentioned, but just who are the "broken 5?"

Actually, I'll give a full tier list.

GOD TIER:
- Grit: It's impossible for most COs to beat his artillery+infantry wall for cost.
- Colin: Strong D2D, snowballs his COP until he has infinite money.
- Hachi: The day before you use your COP, build nothing but infantry to save money. The next, neotanks everywhere! When the neotanks get destroyed your meter will be full again.
- Javier (3+ towers) Becomes a golden god with this many towers.
BORDERLINE GOD TIER:
- Kanbei: He literally does twice as much damage to you as you do to him. (There are a handful of maps he is bad on, like if his expansion is delayed by a day due to increased cost transports)
- Sensei: Endless sea of infantry makes it difficult to attack anything of value.
- Javier (2 towers) Defense bonus and powers start to get out of hand.
HIGH TIER:
- Eagle: Best SCOP in the game.
- Sami: Mech flood is extremely efficient, very hard to beat on small/terrain-heavy maps.
- Rachel: SCOP is death on small maps.
- Nell: Not as broken as she sounds, because it's not that easy to keep full HP infantry on the front lines, still good all-around though.
- Kindle: That city attack bonus is gigantic and her COP is excellent. Varies a bit with city placement on the map.
- Von Bolt: 110/110 is bigger than it sounds. Wins wars of attrition due to his stats.
MID-HIGH TIER:
- Javier (1 tower): Javier's sweet spot for balance.
- Lash: Great attack power. Powers are kinda meh, though.
- Hawke: A generalist that's good on all maps. Considered by many to be the most balanced CO.
MID TIER:
- Andy: Godlike SCOP, trash otherwise.
- Drake: Decent powers, nothing going on D2D since sea isn't that useful. (On maps where expansion by sea is forced, though, he's a beast)
- Olaf: Sort of like Andy but SCOP is less impressive.
- Grimm: Hard to play. Oddities in the damage formula make his stats worse than they look. Powers don't offer any new options. Still okay overall.
- Sasha: Ideal for team games. Okay by herself since her D2D is good, but both her powers are pretty bad one-on-one.
- Jake: Unimpressive across the board, but no real weaknesses.
LOW TIER:
- Javier (0 towers): Actually playable since his indirect defense is pretty nice. His powers don't do much though.
- Adder: No real weaknesses, but requires creativity. Better on maps where he can send mechs charging over mountains and such.
- Koal: Worse than Adder IMO, since he doesn't have the advantage of the 2-star COP, but maybe playable on some maps.
- Jess: Worst infantry in the game means her vehicles get bogged down and can't do their jobs.
- Max: His artillery basically do nothing, which really really hurts his ability to hold ground. Better on maps where he can safely abuse BCopters.
- Sonja: A mixed bag, very annoying to fight, but in the long run her bad luck puts her at a bit of a disadvantage.
TRASH TIER:
- Jugger/Flak: Nell is strictly better. Nobody else has powers that increase their disadvantages.
STURM TIER???:
- Sturm: He's very weird and completely map dependant, but probably above average overall.

I was a huge AWBW player back in the day. I actually made the graphics for Red Fire and Grey Sky :V
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 06:07:30 AM by Stuffman »

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2012, 08:15:44 AM »
Tier lists in advance wars (and especially AWBW) are weird as fuck because so many COs have a wide span of places they could be placed on a tier list depending on the situation of the map, player count, etc. ; though there are definitely certain champions that sit in a spot of "Hahaha I don't give a fuck what map it is I'M BROKEN BABY"

But yes, that sounds about right overall.

Zil

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2012, 08:58:36 AM »
Which version of Sturm do they use? You say he's situational, but if it were AW2 Sturm I'd expect he'd be considered pretty kick-ass even without exploiting the terrain.
e: Reread the earlier posts. Apparantly he is AW2 version.

Anyway, it's good to see the list's pretty much in line with my own impressions of them from when I was addicted to the games.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 09:05:02 AM by Zil »

Yugian

• Humble Blacksmith
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2012, 05:03:09 PM »
Thank you kindly for that tier list stuffman! Still, that's awesome you made ANIMATED sprites. XD
Props to you. XD
You up for a game? i already posted up a challenge and the rules earlier and the map selection is up to whomever.  :derp:

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2012, 05:09:06 PM »
Sturm is a weird combination of AW1 Versus Mode Sturm and AW2 Sturm, sort of a custom creation.

D2D: 80/120 stats, movement cost of 1 on all terrain.
Meter: xxxxxxXXXX
COP: Meteor that does 4 damage.
SCOP: Meteor that does 8 damage.

Amarriner didn't want to put regular AW2 Sturm in because he'd be banned 100% of the time anyway. I'm pretty sure AW2 Sturm can take on Grit :V

(Flak is also using his AWDS stats, not his AW2 stats.)

Basically, how good Sturm is depends on how well he can abuse his free movement. If it's a forest-heavy map or there's a big mountain range his infantry can skip right across, he might be good enough to warrant a ban. In normal situations I'd say he's probably mid-tier.

You up for a game?
I haven't played in forever, but sure. Let's go with the third map.

Yugian

• Humble Blacksmith
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2012, 05:16:09 PM »
I haven't played in forever, but sure. Let's go with the third map.

Alright, games up. MoTK- Game 2 is the name, 041094 is the password.
...Oh, forgot to say the weather is set at random.  :derp:

Still,, sturms a mix? didn't know that. i only heard that everyone was balanced to AW2 with supplemental AWDS balancing as needed.
Eh, live and learn.

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2012, 07:33:52 PM »
I remember playing this and Sturm was mostly based on his AW1 vs mode incarnation with some AW2 stuff. Never realized he had a CO power added though

I might play this again but don't remember my account

Yugian

• Humble Blacksmith
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2012, 12:06:40 AM »
Fuuuuuuck Stuffman, your a nasty General! I need to take tips from you!

*Getting his ass kicked hard*

Edit: Good game. i lose.
...Good F-in christ though. you built nothing bigger then a tank/Bcopter and you kicked my ASS. how the hell?  :derp:
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 01:40:03 AM by Yugian »

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2012, 01:40:23 AM »
I have a lot of experience. I came in second place in one of AWBW's tournaments quite a while back.

Yugian

• Humble Blacksmith
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2012, 01:42:39 AM »
Really? well, hope it was a half way amusing match. Sorry i couldnt give you a proper challenge.
This would be my... 9th game online? first loss too, its kinda refreshing getting owned so hard.  :derp:

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2012, 01:45:36 AM »
I'll be happy to play another one (either against you or anybody else).

Zil

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2012, 01:47:54 AM »
I'd be willing to play a game, though I'm not really sure how this works. I you're willing to explain it a bit then then I'll play.