Author Topic: Keeps Crashing  (Read 2329 times)

Keeps Crashing
« on: March 12, 2012, 05:36:31 PM »
My touhou games keep crashing at some random point during the game (all of them 6-12). It has me slightly irked. Let me explain my situation. The games are currently being played through virtual box on windows 7 as they don't run very well on my mac (no text), but at least they don't crash. The games don't crash the mac side they just quit virtual box and crash windows 7. Is there any way to fix this? Thanks for the help!
-Elfy

EDIT: If it helps any, I identified that 11 crashes at the end of the first stage consistently, and when it crashes the log on the virtual box says OpenGL Warning: Cleared gl error 0x501 on context creation which I have no idea what it means. The others when they crash seem to have the same problem.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 08:30:32 PM by Elfy »

Momiji

• Cya
Re: Keeps Crashing
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 02:33:51 AM »
What version of OS X are you running?  And do you have 'Enable 3D Acceleration' checked in your VM's settings?

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 06:39:13 AM »
I am currently running mac os x 10.7.3 lion, and yes I have enabled 3d acceleration along with 2d video acceleration. Before that I had not none of the games worked at all, I just got a bunch of gibberish for an error message (I checked off both boxes when I realized they weren't checked maybe one is interfering with the other?). After looking through it a little more, apparently the games are not quite crashing randomly. I mentioned 11's issue.

-Embodiment of the Scarlet Devil lags on wav music setting, but not midi. That might be the result of the sound emulator, but I didn't have a problem with the other ones?
-Imperishable Night crashes (more like just quits and VM with it) after, uh... well hitting don't save replay which is kinda silly.
-Phantasmagoria of Flower View plain doesn't work on the windows side, but does on the mac side. However, I don't understand its deal gameplay-wise so I might let that one go.
-Mountain of Faith crashes after the second level without fail.
-Undefined Fantastic Object crashes sometimes after hitting continue (I think Mountain of Faith exhibited a similar problem as well). Also I think it crashes after the first level, but I think it could just be that I never got past the first level which is a good sign that it will keep me entertained. >.>

Well thank you for answering!

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 04:40:34 PM »
I can't promise anything, but you might want to try just installing Wine in OS X and using that instead.

The 3D acceleration in VirtualBox is just a passthrough to the same thing on the host OS, so in order to accelerate DirectX you need a host that also provides DirectX, and vice versa with OpenGL.  Since OS X doesn't do DirectX your games are probably running off of Windows' software rasterizer.  On the other hand, Wine actually converts DirectX to OpenGL.