Author Topic: Perfect/Butler Quest, Part II: What it Means to Protect  (Read 118785 times)

Re: Perfect/Butler Quest, Part II: What it Means to Protect
« Reply #360 on: January 22, 2012, 12:36:46 AM »
"hmm, is villages getting 'eaten' normal around here?"
I have...a terrible need...shall I say the word?...of religion. Then I go out at night and paint the stars.

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #361 on: January 26, 2012, 04:03:01 AM »
"hmm, is villages getting 'eaten' normal around here?"

>She shrugs. "'s like any other place. You get bandits and big nasties around who roam around and get rid of small towns like that...'s a hazard living in those kinda places. Usually more of a mess though."
>You nod in response. That was something that stuck out to you as well. "And humans...," you start, hoping to get some idea of what their race thinks of yours.
>"Are the main culrit!" she states proudly. You grimace. "According to most, anyways. You don't seem like you ate the whole town." The hunter blinks as some sort of blue...construct...pops up next to her ear. "Hmm? Oh, alright. I'll meet you later. Gotta go, human! Nice meeting you."
>And before you can even respond, she runs off. You commit her appearance to memory as her silhouette grows smaller.

>That was...magic? Or some sort of high tech. Huh. The thought never really fully occurred to you that magic would exist...not a surprise though. Just...weird.
>You continue your travel. No point lingering around.
>You resolve to have less random encounters. It's kind of annoying already.

>...

>Tch. They're examining everyone going in and out of the city. You're in a line, with hood up, waiting your turn to enter the metropolis in front of you...but they're examining everyone before they go in. What with the odd features everyone seems to have, you'd definitely stand out.
>There's...the obvious option...
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #362 on: January 26, 2012, 12:21:59 PM »
> It's not like we have a choice what with the bad rap humans seem to have around here.
> Do it subtly so that they don't notice.

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
Where Time Stopping makes things easier again
« Reply #363 on: January 30, 2012, 05:02:18 PM »
> It's not like we have a choice what with the bad rap humans seem to have around here.
> Do it subtly so that they don't notice.

>Right.
>You slip past the barricade while the door opens for another and round a corner, hood still up and out of sight.
>You let out a breath you didn't realize you were holding in. You're in. The big city stretches around you.
>It's like some mixture of medieval architecture, steampunk, and magic. People flying around on wings, crawling on the walls, floating buildings and stairs that lead to each other, a sewer grating that people are entering (some kind of underwater district?), and a multitude of other oddities.
>To you, anyways. Everyone else treats it as though it was normal.
>You wonder offhandedly about how racial stereotypes work here...

>...

>After about an hour of wandering, you've finally come to terms with one pretty significant fact.
>You have no clue what to do.
>No home, no money, no possessions beyond what you wear, and...well...no idea where anything is. You figure sitting in a tavern waiting for something to happen is as good a plan as any.
>An attractive tavern girl with a pair of horns and a long, serpentine tail walks up to you. "Anything for you, sir?"
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 08:05:53 PM by Amra »
Sugoiiii~

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #364 on: January 30, 2012, 06:09:17 PM »
> "Ah, no thanks.  Just collecting my thoughts."
> Well, since we're here keep an ear out for interesting gossip.

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
If this was an RPG, she'd have a cut in
« Reply #365 on: January 30, 2012, 07:57:09 PM »
> "Ah, no thanks.  Just collecting my thoughts."
> Well, since we're here keep an ear out for interesting gossip.

>She nods and gives you a smile before walking off to serve someone else.
>At least cute waitresses are a constant across worlds.

>Three bits of gossip stand out to you, after putting those ears of yours to work.
>The nearby mercenary guild is hiring some muscle to help deal with the influx of 'incidents' out in the countryside. You theorize that the town you stumbled upon might have been one.
>The merchant's guild is also hiring directly to help protect caravans; apparently they're dissatisfied with the work of the mercenary guild.
>Finally, you hear what might be a rumor of some 'phantasm' haunting the hills, and how some people are offering good money to get rid of it.

>You find it a little hard to pay attention to anything else; you need something to stand on. A foundation. Right now you need money or home or anything, and that's affecting your perception a bit.
>You blink when the barmaiden from before sets down a warm piece of bread, a bowl of some kind of soup, and a tankard of cold water in front of you.
>"I can tell when someone's a little tight on cash," she teases, winking. "It's on the house. Just call me if you need anything."
>Still blinking, you smile back a little confusedly. Huh. Real nice of her...
>You could definitely use her as an information source, if you wanted. You do have enough to work on though, from the gossip earlier.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 08:05:21 PM by Amra »
Sugoiiii~

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #366 on: January 30, 2012, 08:12:53 PM »
> Best not to take advantage of the girl.  We've got enough to keep us going for now.
> That phantasm bit sounds interesting.  Lets look into that after we eat.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #367 on: January 30, 2012, 08:37:10 PM »
>We should look into the Merchant Caravans and Mercenary Guild too, best to have plenty of options available.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #368 on: January 30, 2012, 08:43:00 PM »
>We should look into the Merchant Caravans and Mercenary Guild too, best to have plenty of options available.
> Ah, good point.  Never know if they're time-sensitive or not after-all.

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #369 on: February 01, 2012, 07:07:49 PM »
> Best not to take advantage of the girl.  We've got enough to keep us going for now.
> That phantasm bit sounds interesting.  Lets look into that after we eat.

>"Thanks," you reply, grateful for the act of kindness. If it comes down to it, you have a nice place to come back to.
>The food is really good. The bread is warm, soft and has a hint of cheese, the water is clear and refreshing, and the soup is really hearty and filling. You can't place the meat, but that's to be expected.

>...

>After gathering your stuff (the waitress packing another loaf of bread into your bag, despite your protests), you exit the tavern. Now, where to? The Caravans are pretty close, but the Guild is too.
Sugoiiii~

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #370 on: February 01, 2012, 07:12:40 PM »
> Might as well look into the caravans first.  We can always check the guild later.

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #371 on: February 01, 2012, 10:16:43 PM »
> Might as well look into the caravans first.  We can always check the guild later.

>After a bit of deliberation, you nod, take a left, and set out.
>...
>You gawk at the size of the caravan. It's a good twenty some carriages long, led by an animal that makes elephants look like hamsters. It's like...that massive elephant thing from the Lord of the Rings. Jesus...
>The carriages themselves are pretty big too, and two storied at that: the top floor seems to be for passengers, and the bottom for actual cargo transport. It's ridiculous how much stuff is on this thing, and you're not surprised that they're getting attacked by bandits.
>A portly guy in some brightly colored robes beckons you over. "You there! Are you interested in guarding our caravan, good sir? You seem to be very strong, and the pay is very good!"
Sugoiiii~

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #372 on: February 01, 2012, 10:34:23 PM »
> "Yeah, I'm interested."
> Better stay a little incognito.  Don't want to raise anything by being found to be human.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #373 on: February 01, 2012, 10:42:47 PM »
>"But I gotta wonder though, just how good are we talking?"
>Maybe by getting on with the mercs, we could have gotten payment from them, and this guy.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #374 on: February 06, 2012, 03:50:06 AM »
> "Yeah, I'm interested."
> Better stay a little incognito.  Don't want to raise anything by being found to be human.
>"But I gotta wonder though, just how good are we talking?"
>Maybe by getting on with the mercs, we could have gotten payment from them, and this guy.

>People seem to have a preference for headgear around here, and fully human looking people aren't totally unseen. You'll be fine. You think.
>The man grins heartily and gives you a big pat on the back. You're reminded of the major. "Oh, enough my friend! Enough! You'll be eating like a king for months!"
>He names an arbitrary number you can't really associate a value to and drags you off to see the rest of the caravan. You could feasibly protect one side of half the caravan, maybe, if you were stationed at the middle. It would just take too much time to get to the other side...unless you just jumped or climbed it. The big guy seems like he wants to put you at the end, though, which means you could probably protect the front or back quarter of the caravan. Unless something huge attacked it; your skills aren't really suited for anything bigger than around human size.

>There's something wrong though.
>He's trying to get you to join. Trying to entice you with lots of cash, as if there was something that would dissuade you otherwise.
>This isn't the action of someone just getting protection for valuable goods.
>This is the action of someone in fear of their life.
>At this point it's only a suspicion, but...really suspicious.

>You work out the details with the man over about half an hour. Satisfied that you're not getting duped, you nibble on some kind of jerky. The payment was quite generous (you think), and you managed to coerce half of it up front. The caravan proper sets out tomorrow morning; enough time to do whatever.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 06:10:29 AM by Amra »
Sugoiiii~

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #375 on: February 06, 2012, 12:23:08 PM »
> Hmm...  Well if he has to do with anything shady, we can always decide later whether to cut our losses or not if hell is raised somehow.

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #376 on: February 06, 2012, 06:11:43 PM »
> Hmm...  Well if he has to do with anything shady, we can always decide later whether to cut our losses or not if hell is raised somehow.

>You nod at the thought.
>From the sun, there's about...three hours left until night? Maybe two. As far as you can tell, the days here are slightly longer, perhaps two hours so. It's kind of screwing up your clock.
>You still have time to check up with the Mercenary's Guild.
Sugoiiii~

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #377 on: February 06, 2012, 08:47:13 PM »
> Head over to the guild then to check whats what.  If we have to tell our employer where we're going, do so.

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #378 on: February 10, 2012, 05:20:07 PM »
> Head over to the guild then to check whats what.  If we have to tell our employer where we're going, do so.

>No need to tell anyone where you're going. You're free to go wherever.
>You ask for some directions and head off.

>...

>Dear lord.
>The guild absolutely filled with big, brawny warrior types. Compounding upon that are the various bits that humans don't usually have...you look like a absolute twig in comparison. Thankfully, they're not giving you any looks; in fact, you're getting a bit of a whisper cloud going.
>"Rogue type, huh?"
>"Not a whole lot these days..."
>"Course! Sticks like that die out 'fore they even come of age."
>"'s a shame. Them rogue types are useful."

>You raise an eyebrow at that. Makes things a bit more useful than you then.
>There's a line to what must be the job desk. Not too long yet, but it might grow so.
Sugoiiii~

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #379 on: February 10, 2012, 05:32:46 PM »
>Rogue huh? Wonder if they're the stabby sort too?
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #380 on: February 10, 2012, 08:45:51 PM »
> Huh.  Almost like an RPG or something.
> Well we don't really need a job yet, but if there're no bulletin boards with postings or anything get in line.

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #381 on: February 10, 2012, 10:34:50 PM »
>Rogue huh? Wonder if they're the stabby sort too?
> Huh.  Almost like an RPG or something.
> Well we don't really need a job yet, but if there're no bulletin boards with postings or anything get in line.

>You look around at the guild. There are a few bulletin boards with posters on them with job descriptions and some kind of tag...you spot the lady behind the desk scan the tag with something before giving a more detailed piece of paper to the potential job-taker.
>Huh. Some kind of inquiry system then.
>...you can't read any of this for crap.

>Someone taps you on the shoulder.
>"Eh?"
>"Noticed you looking at that poster there, stranger. Interested?"
>You blink at him. He's taller than you by about two feet, quite a bit burlier, and seems to be carrying...two spears? Okay. Something about him seems very...wolfish.
>Then you look back at the poster he gestured at. You can see the large reward amount there (not that you can read it specifically) and then look back, nodding.
>He smiles. "We've been waiting for help on that one for ages. Damned haunted caverns always have some sorta traps and such the most of us can't deal with. You seem like a rogue type; 'm already signed up for that one. Care to join?"
>"Are rogue types in high demand?"
>Your new 'friend' chuckles a bit. "The highest. Quiet, most of us ain't. Controlling your energy output like that is absurdly rare, ya know? 's a hell of a gift. It ain't hard to sense anyone approaching you...unless they're like you. Didn't ya know that?"

>Before anything else, you resist the urge to facepalm at the 'as you know' type exposition. Because you don't. And this just feels all sorts of weird.
>Hmm. Interesting. You can definitely feel the powers radiating from people with your Hunter's Sense; you weren't aware they could too. Or couldn't, as it seems to be. Rogue types...people who can deal with traps and hide their power signature? Fits your description unless you break out the Buriallusions.
>You're thankful for motor mouths, like your companion here seems to be.
>You offhandedly wonder what other 'types' there are.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 10:37:35 PM by Amra »
Sugoiiii~

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #382 on: February 10, 2012, 10:45:33 PM »
>"Traps huh? There a time you need this done in? Because I could probably lend a hand on this once I've got this other job  I have done."
>Slight grin. "The family motto always did say to never leave a job unfinished."
>Oh yeah, we should probably introduce ourselves to this guy, it'd be a good idea if we're gonna help him out later.

I'm thinking that if there's no time limit on this one, we can finish our job with the merchant dude, and travel back here to lend a hand with the cave.
I figure, we may as well make the best of it as we figure out a way home.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 10:52:31 PM by Hanzo K. »
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #383 on: February 10, 2012, 11:01:33 PM »
I'm thinking that if there's no time limit on this one, we can finish our job with the merchant dude, and travel back here to lend a hand with the cave.
Sounds good.  He did say they'd been waiting for help for ages, so I'd assume that there isn't a time limit.

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #384 on: February 13, 2012, 07:11:54 AM »
>"Traps huh? There a time you need this done in? Because I could probably lend a hand on this once I've got this other job  I have done."
>Slight grin. "The family motto always did say to never leave a job unfinished."
>Oh yeah, we should probably introduce ourselves to this guy, it'd be a good idea if we're gonna help him out later.

>He grins. "Yeah, sounds alright. Guy who put the job up there didn't put up a time limit for it. See ya later then?"
>You smile back and nod. Definitely a nice guy.

>...

>Night. Your third in this world. And as before, no moon hangs in the sky above you. Just the stars and the dimmed lights of the city. It's a little hard to sleep, as usual.
>You watch the streets from a tavern window, the same one you ate at earlier today. With the advance payment, you managed to rent out a room. You'd like a more permanent option, but you're not quite sure if there's anything like social security around here...your lack of papers is probably going to make things awkward.
>It's a little hard to see, normally, but...yeah. With your senses activated, the whole city glows. It's kind of disconcerting.
>"Hey, comeon...just a little bit of time, alright? We won't hurt you..."
>"No, wait, p-please stop...!"
>...Seriously.

>An alleyway within view. Barely within audible range. Four figures, one huddled against a wall while three others stand menacingly above her.
Sugoiiii~

« Reply #385 on: February 13, 2012, 07:29:29 AM »
Do we beat up the thugs or just take the girl..
Lets scare them a little, might give us an idea of what might attack the caravan.
I have...a terrible need...shall I say the word?...of religion. Then I go out at night and paint the stars.

« Reply #386 on: February 13, 2012, 07:32:06 AM »
Get the girl out of there first though, even if it means losing initiative against the thugs. Priorities.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #387 on: February 13, 2012, 12:34:18 PM »
Get the girl out of there first though, even if it means losing initiative against the thugs. Priorities.
Lets scare them a little, might give us an idea of what might attack the caravan.

> Do this, but try not to give them a chance to see our face.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #388 on: February 13, 2012, 03:04:11 PM »
Easy solution folks.

>Why not just use our time power to save her? And maybe stack the goons on top of each other in the process, just to see how they'd react to suddenly being a tower.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #389 on: February 14, 2012, 10:22:44 PM »
>Hero mode is go.
>You dive out of the window, land in a roll, and get other things rolling.

>A running drop kick to one, a clothesline and an axe kick to the next, and then a good ol' haymaker to the last one.
>Jesus christ, it's like hitting a brick wall repeatedly. These guys are durable.

>You grab the girl, throw her into a bridal carry, and
get back to your room with a quick burst of speed and a good leap.

>Damn, your new time limit is a lot better than the old one. The girl struggles a bit in your arms, but you quickly shush her. "Don't worry, you're safe. Look outside."
>She does so and lets out a quiet gasp of shock. "How...?" she starts, but you hold up your index finger to your mouth.
>"Shhhh."

>You find a bit of amusement in watching the thugs flail around confusedly. As usual, time manipulation is a very useful ability.
>Finally, they leave. You turn back to the girl and smile. "You alright?"
>She slowly nods, still a little wary. "How did you...?"
Sugoiiii~