Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 4)  (Read 49495 times)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 4)
« Reply #870 on: September 14, 2011, 06:52:39 AM »
>"Free from what? Who was holding you down?"

« Reply #871 on: September 14, 2011, 06:54:20 AM »
>Did the entrance to this place show any signs of recent geological disturbance? Anything that might indicate it had been closed for years, but opened recently?
>"Or what?"

« Reply #872 on: September 14, 2011, 07:13:42 AM »
>"Free from what? Who was holding you down?"
>"Or what?"

>She holds your gaze as the smile drops from her face. "You."

>Did the entrance to this place show any signs of recent geological disturbance? Anything that might indicate it had been closed for years, but opened recently?

>You didn't note anything large-scale enough to suggest entire passageways that could have been blocked. There were signs of rockfalls and geological events here and there (and a very pronounced one in this very chamber), but nothing of this type near the place you entered.

« Reply #873 on: September 14, 2011, 07:18:04 AM »
>Fold our arms across our chest and spit.
>"Oh, so I'm responsible, huh? How'd you work that out?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #874 on: September 14, 2011, 07:20:23 AM »
>Don't say or do that, instead say:
>"Don't know what you're talking about. See, we've only been here for a couple centuries, tops, and there's been no kind of mention of spiders. And, given there's people who've been here since things began, it's not exactly like it'd be lost history, either. So, whatever you're talking about it, it wasn't us."

« Reply #875 on: September 14, 2011, 07:28:26 AM »
>How old did that torii gate look?

« Reply #876 on: September 14, 2011, 07:38:07 AM »
>"Don't know what you're talking about. See, we've only been here for a couple centuries, tops, and there's been no kind of mention of spiders. And, given there's people who've been here since things began, it's not exactly like it'd be lost history, either. So, whatever you're talking about it, it wasn't us."

>"Don't think you're changing anything by saying that," she says. "You can't deny what you did here."

>How old did that torii gate look?

>It did look like it may have been quite old, though you didn't get a close look. It was partially collapsed, at any rate.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #877 on: September 14, 2011, 08:01:18 AM »
>Restrain a verbal barrage, how much patience does she think we have?
>"Well, except that it does change things. Whatever you're talking about, neither we or our ancestors had anything to do with. And I bet you weren't even around for it either."

« Reply #878 on: September 14, 2011, 08:10:36 AM »
>Restrain a verbal barrage, how much patience does she think we have?
>"Well, except that it does change things. Whatever you're talking about, neither we or our ancestors had anything to do with. And I bet you weren't even around for it either."

>By this point, you're pretty sure she doesn't care about your patience. Or your everything else, for that matter...
>She doesn't reply, though her expression seems to draw tighter.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #879 on: September 14, 2011, 08:46:38 AM »
>"Yeah, that's what I thought. So let's focus on here and now rather than ancient history. So you're up there, that's fine. No one really has any problem with that by default. What we do have a problem with is you taking advantage of your neighbors. Like I said, you wouldn't like it if we came into your house and stole your stuff, would you? And as I said, it's not hard for you to get what you want and live in peace with your neighbors. Better than peace, actually."

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #880 on: September 14, 2011, 04:36:51 PM »
So we've pointed out her that she's  taking a course of action detrimental to her overall goal just to spite us...and we've done it by taking a course of action detrimental to our overall goal just to spite her.

Am I the only one incapable of wrapping their head around this approach?
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

« Reply #881 on: September 14, 2011, 07:10:07 PM »
>"Yeah, that's what I thought. So let's focus on here and now rather than ancient history. So you're up there, that's fine. No one really has any problem with that by default. What we do have a problem with is you taking advantage of your neighbors. Like I said, you wouldn't like it if we came into your house and stole your stuff, would you? And as I said, it's not hard for you to get what you want and live in peace with your neighbors. Better than peace, actually."

>A confused mix of emotions plays across the youkai's face as you speak. Anger and defiance still dominates her expression, but you think you also see flashes of confusion, uncertainty and... perhaps even sadness. She stares hatefully at the sword in your hands for another moment, then turns her gaze back to you.
>"No," she says, stifling a groan. Her leg quivers beneath her and she bites down hard on her lip. "Not... with you. Not with anyone... like you. I won't-"
>Her words are cut off by a pained cry as her leg crumples entirely and she falls to the ground again.
>"I won't... forgive you..." she breathes.

« Reply #882 on: September 14, 2011, 07:41:09 PM »
>No. Didn't think you would. Would have made everything easier, though. Better, even, for everyone. Maybe it's too late for that. Maybe it was too late before we even got here.
>"Then the spiders will keep attacking the villagers' food stores? And what about the people? Will they become food, too, one day?"

« Reply #883 on: September 14, 2011, 08:00:27 PM »
>No. Didn't think you would. Would have made everything easier, though. Better, even, for everyone. Maybe it's too late for that. Maybe it was too late before we even got here.
>"Then the spiders will keep attacking the villagers' food stores? And what about the people? Will they become food, too, one day?"

>"Hunters... hunt," she groans. "Everyone's... gotta eat. ...nothing wrong with that."

« Reply #884 on: September 14, 2011, 08:13:17 PM »
>"I'm guessing that's the only source of food around for those spiders, too."

« Reply #885 on: September 14, 2011, 08:29:06 PM »
>"I'm guessing that's the only source of food around for those spiders, too."

>"Why?" she breathes. "Want another way to starve us?"

« Reply #886 on: September 14, 2011, 08:35:22 PM »
>Just keep pushing it, you little...
>"I want a way for the spiders to leave the people alone, and for them to BE left alone."

« Reply #887 on: September 14, 2011, 08:40:35 PM »
>Just keep pushing it, you little...
>"I want a way for the spiders to leave the people alone, and for them to BE left alone."

>"Then you shouldn't have come here and killed them!" she cries. "You could have just left us alone from the start!"

« Reply #888 on: September 14, 2011, 09:32:52 PM »
So at this point, I'm not harboring much hope that we can resolve this diplomatically. She won't forgive us for killing the spiders we did, she won't trust people (least of all us), and I doubt we can convince her that another war between the spiders and surfacers will go well for her side.
Kilga, if you wanna take a stab at it, by all means, go for it. If a diplomatic solution to this is even possible, it's beyond me. The only thing I can see we can accomplish is to get her to have us left alone on our way back to the surface. Pretty sure none of us want to fight anymore spiders, especially as banged up as we are, and she has to know we'd kill them if they tried. And as much as I'd like to get more answers out of her about the history of her people, and this sword, I suspect we've reached the limit of what we can wring out of her.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #889 on: September 14, 2011, 10:58:57 PM »
Actually, we got her on the ropes.

>"You can hate me just as much as you please. But what's more important, spiders being able to hunt, or spiders being able to eat and live without worry? Pick one."

« Reply #890 on: September 14, 2011, 11:33:45 PM »
>"You can hate me just as much as you please. But what's more important, spiders being able to hunt, or spiders being able to eat and live without worry? Pick one."

>Her eyes narrow. "What are you... trying to say?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #891 on: September 14, 2011, 11:48:35 PM »
>"The same thing I've been saying since the beginning. You can have peace and have food. Or you can hunt and be a nuisance; then you'll get to have your prophecy of being the last ones come true when you rouse up the military. It doesn't matter whether you forgive me or not. What matters, or at least what should matter, is your spiders. Do you want them to have a future or not?"

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #892 on: September 15, 2011, 01:09:44 AM »
Sour: I will be glad to step in as needed/requested/whatever, but as much as I dislike Purvis' approach, I do respect the fact that he has a strategy, so I'm not going to try my hand unless he decides he's had enough. I know I prefer the same respect in tense dialogue situations.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

« Reply #893 on: September 15, 2011, 02:00:15 AM »
>"The same thing I've been saying since the beginning. You can have peace and have food. Or you can hunt and be a nuisance; then you'll get to have your prophecy of being the last ones come true when you rouse up the military. It doesn't matter whether you forgive me or not. What matters, or at least what should matter, is your spiders. Do you want them to have a future or not?"

>"They have a future," she says. "I can... still keep them safe." She groans again.
>"The only reason you're... still standing is that. And I won't let anyone find it again."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #894 on: September 15, 2011, 02:28:16 AM »
>"You probably thought that the first time. And no, you won't secure them a future if you're going to keep on like this. You're outnumbered and outarmed. Look at what I was able to do, and I was only defending myself when I got attacked, I wasn't even trying to create more havoc than necessary. If you want to secure them a future, a future where they can live and be happy, it's only going to happen one way."

« Reply #895 on: September 15, 2011, 02:30:00 AM »
Kilga: I can respect that. Good man.

>"And besides, you're in no shape to try and take it away from me."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #896 on: September 15, 2011, 02:30:57 AM »
>"And besides, you're in no shape to try and take it away from me."

>Let's not say this just yet. Maybe if she gets belligerent against us again.

« Reply #897 on: September 15, 2011, 02:40:25 AM »
>"You probably thought that the first time. And no, you won't secure them a future if you're going to keep on like this. You're outnumbered and outarmed. Look at what I was able to do, and I was only defending myself when I got attacked, I wasn't even trying to create more havoc than necessary. If you want to secure them a future, a future where they can live and be happy, it's only going to happen one way."

>"And what's that?" she says, almost accusingly.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #898 on: September 15, 2011, 02:56:02 AM »
>"You talk with your damn neighbors instead of just taking whatever you want, that's what. If you want our food, you trade something for it. And you know what, we'd welcome it. Because it'd make both of our lives better. We live in peace and help each other out."

« Reply #899 on: September 15, 2011, 03:08:33 AM »
>"You talk with your damn neighbors instead of just taking whatever you want, that's what. If you want our food, you trade something for it. And you know what, we'd welcome it. Because it'd make both of our lives better. We live in peace and help each other out."

>"Trade?!" She lets out an incredulous sound, somewhere between a laugh and a sneer. "And how the hell are they supposed to do that? Do you just kill everything that can't follow your rules?"