Author Topic: Entry 23 - Still More Staffers To Go Through - Esifex  (Read 53469 times)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Re: Entry 23 - Still More Staffers To Go Through
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2011, 08:50:45 PM »
Paranormality question: How does one distinguish sensitive from deluded? There has been a history of people utter convinced of things that have been proven to be, on analysis, suffering from mental issues instead.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2011, 01:44:05 AM »
The song that made me want to learn violin

A. Sorry, must have missed the music one. I am reading this, but I'm only human.
Happens to the best of us. But not me. I'm a cyborg. *_?

B. To be honest, I don't really consider it science if it can't be replicated by anyone, anywhere (with the right environmental adjustments, of course) but eh, to each his own. I guess that's why I didn't take that one into account.
It's like math, too. Sometimes you need to be unable to prove its false. That's why it's such a gray area - no one can definitively prove it's real or not. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Reddyne has done an excellent job of saying it much more clearly than I.

Have you ever read a fanfic that turned one of your least favorite characters into one of your most favorite characters, or at least made you like them a whole lot more? Not characters you were neutral about, mind you, but characters you actively disliked.
Sound of the City by our own Tengukami. I really honestly did - and most of the time, still do - perceive Aya as just a big nuisance, who got pleasure out of harassing and giving people a bunch of shit. Sound of the City turned that trollish aura into one of determination and a powerful sense of curiosity.
If being neutral about a character - or set of them - Rising Star would've done it for the Palanquin Ship-Temple crew. Beyond that, there really aren't that many Touhous that I actively dislike. I'm incredibly bored whenever the Eientei crew is brought up, and only mildly disinterested by Mokou and Keine, though I do appreciate the last two because 1)The phoenix is my favorite mythological creature, and 2) Keine. Just Keine.

:objection!:

Explanation time from a resident science guy. The reason why paranormal phenomena are not (yet) taken seriously by the scientific community is that one of the very principles of the scientific method is reproducibility. Coincidentally, these concepts of paranormal phenomena are unexplored and nebulous enough that they lack falsifiability, so they, by law of scientific method, cannot be dismissed. Also, even a slight variation in the wording of a hypothesis provides a new hypothesis which can be tested, so even if one concept is out-and-out proven false, a very similar or specific concept could be proven true. Still, the key is the ability for these concepts to be tested in a manner that creates a reliable and predictable result. Paranormal phenomena typically lack definition and could benefit from a distinct value that defines it. Properly state the concept or element of what you are testing, test it in a controlled manner, then REproduce the result within definable limits, and it will gain a lot of credibility. It's how science has done so many of the things it has for the world. Any bit of reproducibility will help push it from pseudoscience and into the proper scientific realm. Until then, apples will fall down and not up, ducks will go "quack" and not "I'm the ghost of your uncle Luke! Couldja spare us a fiver?" and 1+1 will equal 2 and not cheesecake even if that would make math a lot tastier.
That would make math a lot tastier. Also, I HAVE BEEN DEFEATED BY LOGIC! I suppose deep down I always did understand that there's a very good and valid reason paranormality is considered a quack field.
That being said, my friends and I have done a good series of meditation, followed by a very informal test; sitting across the room, backs to each other, calling out numbers that the other was looking at on an index card. I managed to score 14 out of 20 on one of them, and never below 7 of 20 on the other three 'turns' I took. But, again, one of my friends who was participating with us never managed to get more than 4, so that whole reproducibility thing rears its ugly head.

Anyway,

What's one thing that you would like to change about yourself and what one thing would you never want to change?
I'd rather change my voice back to how it should be. I deliberately tore the crap out of my vocal chords by screaming along to some metal songs way back when, because I didn't like how a 6' 4", 220lb fella still had a soprano voice. Now I can't actually sing anything without my voice breaking, and my voice deepened on its own accord and now I sound like George Takei. Who's voice breaks on occasion.
I wouldn't change my personality. I particularly like my large, powerful calves- I mean... being a Libra, and having an almost-to-the-T match-up with the standard Libra personality.

Ever locked yourself in a place deemed to be "haunted?"
Not locked in, no, but I have been around places. My massage school, as a matter of fact, is 'haunted' by Mrs. McGillicuddy, the school owner-proprietor's wife, who was murdered when she came home early one day to a burglar in their house. She was shot and killed. I've felt a vague presence while organizing the store-room that we kept all the massage tables in.
I've also gotten some really nasty vibes from nursing homes and rehabilitation centers, and, I hope for an unrelated reason, the dungeons in St. Augustine's fort.
I'd love to get out to the St. Augustine Lighthouse, though. I had no clue it was such a hot-spot until Ghosthunters went out there.

What do you think about Touhou ghosts?
Youmu is a pretty cool guy. Eh sweeps gardens and dosent afrade of nething.
The Prismriver Sisters are actually pretty cool, in my book, despite the rather depressing backstory. Ghosts, who can telekinetically play their instruments, get to play music for however long an eternity they want? That would be the best kind of eternity for me.

Is Youmu's ghost half a marshmallow? That tastes like a cheese steak?
* Esifex sobs in the corner, unable to ever think of marshmallows again

If you could change any historical event to have the outcome of your choice, what would you change and why?
I wouldn't. Temporal paradoxes terrify me. But, assuming I could without any direct repercussions to myself... the outrageous trolling against Nikola Tesla by Edison. If they'd gotten along, instead of competed so vehemently, who knows what sort of scientific advances Tesla could've given us? Instead, he was harassed, prosecuted, and more or less just utterly fucked with without relent. Not cool.

How good are you at the Touhou games?
AAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH BAAAAHAAHAHAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAHAHAHAAHAHAA
I'm not :fail:
With the slight exception of a few of the characters in SWR/UNL. I'm kind of good with Alice, Komachi, and Meiling. Not nearly good enough to warrant trying to fight anyone else who knows what they're doing, though.

Paranormality question: How does one distinguish sensitive from deluded? There has been a history of people utter convinced of things that have been proven to be, on analysis, suffering from mental issues instead.
By testing it in a controlled environment. Just because I swear up and down that the trees are talking to me but no one was around to verify it doesn't mean anything to anyone else. Especially once I tell them that the trees only talk to me when I'm in my underwear and screaming at squirrels.
There are methods for testing someone, or someones. My friend does all the gung-ho research on how to test it; I just go with the flow and deal with what I can sense or feel when it comes to me.

Aya Squawkermaru

• "You furnish the pictures and I'll furnish the war." - William Hearst
  • Relevant quote is relevant.
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2011, 02:13:54 AM »
Oh yeah, and before you get the wrong idea, I'm not saying I deny the paranormal. I tend to be skeptical about most things, especially as a man of science (to be), but I have my own reasons for being open-minded about the paranormal. I'd tell you about it now, but this is your "talk about yourself" thread, not mine. :P

Anyway, if you could go back in time (or just move through space in the present with ease) and meet any one historical figure, who would you choose? (unless this has already been asked, in which case I really feel like an idiot. :derp:)

Obligatory nonsense question: How much Rou could a Rou Kan Ken if a Rou Kan so Can You?

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2011, 03:32:50 AM »
Not locked in, no, but I have been around places. My massage school, as a matter of fact, is 'haunted' by Mrs. McGillicuddy, the school owner-proprietor's wife, who was murdered when she came home early one day to a burglar in their house. She was shot and killed. I've felt a vague presence while organizing the store-room that we kept all the massage tables in.
I've also gotten some really nasty vibes from nursing homes and rehabilitation centers, and, I hope for an unrelated reason, the dungeons in St. Augustine's fort.
I'd love to get out to the St. Augustine Lighthouse, though. I had no clue it was such a hot-spot until Ghosthunters went out there.

Have you had the ventilation checked recently?

By testing it in a controlled environment. Just because I swear up and down that the trees are talking to me but no one was around to verify it doesn't mean anything to anyone else. Especially once I tell them that the trees only talk to me when I'm in my underwear and screaming at squirrels.
There are methods for testing someone, or someones. My friend does all the gung-ho research on how to test it; I just go with the flow and deal with what I can sense or feel when it comes to me.

I remember watching a video in school that covered some Russian things about people with psychic power and magic water that could do special things. But every time challenges to the belief came up, they'd add new conditionals to explain away the failure, like the involvement of attempts to study it making it not work. Would you accept this?
There was something here once. Wonder what...

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2011, 05:34:41 AM »
Six degrees are all that separate these guys from me
Or something

Anyway, if you could go back in time (or just move through space in the present with ease) and meet any one historical figure, who would you choose? (unless this has already been asked, in which case I really feel like an idiot. :derp:)
You're in luck, because at this hour, I don't really remember if I answered a question like that yet. Yay sleep dep! In that case, this would be the number two answer. If not, then number one. Nikola Tesla! I'd tell him to get a safety deposit box in another name and make copies of his notes. Entrust it to his assistant. Keep his stuff from getting vandalized.
Number two would be Bill Nye. Just 'cause. He's a cool dude.

Obligatory nonsense question: How much Rou could a Rou Kan Ken if a Rou Kan so Can You?
More Rou than you, that's for sure :derp:

Have you had the ventilation checked recently?
Low-frequency sounds also induce sleepiness, though these are sounds that are in the audible range of human hearing. I refer specifically to the sound fluorescent light bulb-tubes make.

I remember watching a video in school that covered some Russian things about people with psychic power and magic water that could do special things. But every time challenges to the belief came up, they'd add new conditionals to explain away the failure, like the involvement of attempts to study it making it not work. Would you accept this?
As cliche-Zen as this would sound, I'm pretty convinced that trying to force it tends to make it not happen. You can't just grab water by brute force and make it still enough to see a reflection - you have to be chill and not fuck it up. Bad analogy, I guess, but hey, :sleepdep:

I'm starting to answer them as they come because more drama is being whipped up at home thanks to Dad and his Ludite tendencies, so I have no way of knowing if I'll have internet access all the way up to Wednesday, when this thread ends.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 05:36:41 AM by Esifex »

« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2011, 08:36:59 AM »
Favorite class on TF2 and why?
On the topic of TF2: what irritates you the most now that F2P noobs are coming to town?
I'm bored. What would you suggest to me that I can do in order for this boredom to pass?

Thanks to GreenVirus for the Siggy.
My TF2 Backpack of DOOM

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
  • Making being an evil spirit look good
    • Tondemonai
« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2011, 11:03:09 AM »
If you could change on physical part of your body, how would you change it and why?

If you could pilot a mech from any mecha series, which would it be and why?

Steak marshmallow vs. cheese marshmallow: who wins?

"I don't have anything against you, but I hope you're ready to die a dog's death!
Oh, don't worry, that cat will carry off your body, so you'll be able to live in our place!"

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2011, 03:01:59 PM »
Holy Marasy!

Favorite class on TF2 and why?
Pyro, because of the sheer excellence that you could be once you're proficient with it. Everything else is pretty straightforward, with the exception of the Spy; but enemy in front of you, push button to kill.

On the topic of TF2: what irritates you the most now that F2P noobs are coming to town?
Medics that heal Heavies only. For example, when I'm running around, and fail to reflect a rocket, and suddenly, ouchies! I'm down to about 30 health. Then, the Heavy/Medic team runs by, and I call for out for the Medic, but he ignores me and continues healing the already-overhealed Heavy, who isn't even taking fire at that point because I've withdrawn from the front lines.

I'm bored. What would you suggest to me that I can do in order for this boredom to pass?
Learn an instrument! You didn't say if money was an issue :3

If you could change on physical part of your body, how would you change it and why?
I'm assuming you mean one. And with the question phrased like that, it really narrows down my options. I would change my mass, by way of using cardio workouts, because cardio is the easiest way to slim down without gaining muscle bulk, and because I'm not very fond of being a fluffy guy. Now that we've relocated the Treadclimber to the living room, so it's 1)no longer out-of-sight, out-of-mind, but 2)in front of the TV, I could potentially burn loads and loads of calories while watching FMA: Brotherhood. Never did get around to watching it, and it's on the instant-queue now.

If you could pilot a mech from any mecha series, which would it be and why?
Hmm. It's a toss-up, really. An Elemental, from BattleTech, because it's small and manageable, but still has the ability to JumpJet around and be totally awesome? Or a Cauldron-Born, from the same series, because it's a five-story-tall mech (or so) and looks totally bad-ass? Or perhaps even the Big O, just because I like the giant ramrod-pistons that it uses to amplify its punches, or maybe one of the mechs from Code Geass? Man. Or maybe even a custom-designed mech from Armored Core. Choices.

Steak marshmallow vs. cheese marshmallow: who wins?
Me. Because I have an opposable thumb. And fire.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2011, 03:10:20 PM »
Reals or Supers?

Esi, if I were to theoretically prod you, would you squeal funny?

If I were to prod you to help inspire me with a thing, would you be willing?

Brittanian Virtues, Gargish Virtues, or Ophidian Virtues? THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!

« Reply #69 on: July 27, 2011, 03:57:54 PM »
Besides TF2, what other games have you been playing lately?

Any board games you like to play?

What do you think of cats?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #70 on: July 27, 2011, 06:02:40 PM »
Rrrroguelikes?
Pyromania?

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #71 on: July 27, 2011, 07:36:37 PM »
I think of Utsuho when I listen to this for some reason
Possibly because of the association of 'Morning Star' and being slowly subverted, a la Kanako convincing her to consume the Yatagarasu

Reals or Supers?
wat

Esi, if I were to theoretically prod you, would you squeal funny?
More like a grunt than a squeal

If I were to prod you to help inspire me with a thing, would you be willing?
Depends on the thing. Does it involve making steam-punk airships? Then yes. Otherwise we will have to discuss.

Brittanian Virtues, Gargish Virtues, or Ophidian Virtues? THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!
wat

Besides TF2, what other games have you been playing lately?
Killing Floor, the occasional match in League of Legends, and that's about it. I let my WoW subscription die because I wanted to focus more on job-hunting, and I wasn't doing anything in WoW but sitting and town and trolling the Global Trade chat.

Any board games you like to play?
I love me some Battleship! Also, Clue, because when played properly, it's a lot of fun. Unless someone decides to troll and doesn't fess up to questioning, though, in which case it drags out to a big 'process of elimination' mess.

What do you think of cats?
They're fine, too. But I will always take a Siberian Husky or an Alaskan Malamute over a cat any day, though I'd love to have a cat with either of those two dogs. Preferably two of those two dogs, because they're social and love company, and even if you raised the cat and dog together so they weren't always at each others throats, cats aren't social enough for a Husky.

Rrrroguelikes?
Pyromania?
No. Yes. I keep reading your signature, making you fail repeatedly. How does this make you feel?

Seriously if you glazed over the Battleship link you should really go click it. It's not a CollegeHumor gag or anything - it's legit.
Also, I think it's about time to start winding down and making room for the next thread. It's officially Wednesday everywhere, now!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 07:40:17 PM by Esifex »

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2011, 02:15:34 AM »
Seriously if you glazed over the Battleship link you should really go click it. It's not a CollegeHumor gag or anything - it's legit.

This video contains content from NBC Universal, who has blocked it on copyright grounds.
Sorry about that.

\(^o^)/
There was something here once. Wonder what...

Aya Squawkermaru

• "You furnish the pictures and I'll furnish the war." - William Hearst
  • Relevant quote is relevant.
« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2011, 03:52:59 AM »
Hmm... That went by much faster than expected.

Darn NBC Universal...

Well, I can't really think of any other questions anyway since we've never really talked much before, but you do seem like an interesting person~

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2011, 06:40:49 AM »
\(^o^)/
That was incredibly fast.

Try this link, then?

Well, I can't really think of any other questions anyway since we've never really talked much before, but you do seem like an interesting person~

It's the mind-games. You love having someone else in your head.

« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2011, 10:51:17 AM »
Learn an instrument! You didn't say if money was an issue :3

I'm getting an EWI next year, and I'm going to learn it to the fullest!

Thanks to GreenVirus for the Siggy.
My TF2 Backpack of DOOM

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2011, 03:22:46 PM »
Okay, I wasn't informed as to who the next Staffer to be interrogated was, but we're officially on Thursday now, meaning I've had my full week's worth of attention.

If you have any further questions or curiosity about the Librarians and what we do, swing by PSL, or #scarlet-library on PPIRC.net. There is even a handy webchat you could use if you don't have an IRC client! Don't worry, it's not a boring place. We try not to talk about conjugation and the differences between verbs and adverbs too much.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #77 on: July 28, 2011, 03:28:07 PM »
How much Rou could a Rou Kan Ken if a Rou Kan so Can You?
As the local expert on this subject, I can say with confidence that the answer is seven.