Author Topic: The Elements of Gensokyo  (Read 31731 times)

Re: The Elements of Gensokyo
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2011, 09:58:32 AM »
You know what. What the hell. Might be new, but everybody gotta start somewhere. I expect to cock up a time or two at first, of course, but I'm willing to learn.
It'll take me a couple days to work up an OC, between work and brushing up on my Irish history, so can I ask for a reservation? Take me that long to decide between Shinki and Reisen, as well. First choice would've been Byakuren (massive fanboy here) but it ain't like there's no other good choices. Just take some thinking.

Or will you be accepting folks after this starts, as I see it will be 'in a few hours', as you say? If so, so be it. Still have me own game and Skyseas, once Draco comes back.

[Y]oukai [J]esus

• "MotK's 1%" (?)
  • Idiot Deity 2013 - 2014 RIP
    • Muh Writings
« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2011, 11:34:14 AM »
NO YOU SHALL NOT PASS

I mean, yeah. You can join even after the RP starts. Swee~.

<Nietz> Anyway, sex toys alone won't come up to 11k.
[18:48] <Warma> There must have been a new depth, where you've sunk as a person. Then you dug through that.

Aya Squawkermaru

• "You furnish the pictures and I'll furnish the war." - William Hearst
  • Relevant quote is relevant.
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2011, 04:41:24 PM »
Before you enter, you must answer me these questions three.

Man, that's a lot more people than I was expecting at first. This is good.

[Y]oukai [J]esus

• "MotK's 1%" (?)
    • Muh Writings
« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2011, 07:27:56 AM »
With seven people and Sourfang coming in soon, It's gonna be awesome~.

[18:48] <Warma> There must have been a new depth, where you've sunk as a person. Then you dug through that.

« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2011, 02:12:23 AM »
Just Sour'll do fine. Now, I haven't done any chargen like this since I played on old transformers MUSHes, so let's see how badly I do.

Name: Francis (Frank) O'Donnell

Touhou: Reisen Udonge

Personality: Very rough around the edges, he fits the stereotype of a crotchety old man rather well. He has no time for fools. He's adapted to the changing of the world around him rather well, but he still complains about it at every opportunity, the irrascable old grump. His favourite phrase is 'back in the day', which the crowds at his favourite watering hole usually sing out when he stops in on the weekends. Once you get down past the bristly bits, however, he's not all that bad a guy. He's fiercely proud of his country, and his family, and he has a pronounced sense of humor, even if it comes across as quite snarky, even to the ones that know him. Even at his age, he's not afraid of a fight, and while it isn't as easy to provoke him as it used to be, he can still hang with most younguns in a scrap. He keeps himself in good shape, and he's proud of it. Still has a sense of fancy, despite his harsh life, he loves to tuck into fantasy books and folklorish tales. He was the kid who went searching for fairy circles in the woods, and went with his girl to go find unicorns on warm spring days.

History: Born in Dublin, 1947, he was the eldest son of an painter and a musician. He had limited schooling in his younger days, though a bit more than his two younger brothers, thanks to his familiy being a bit on the low end of the money ladder of Irish society. Having the father he did didn't help matters much, either socially or educationally, for his father, Francis senior, was a militant member of the IRA. He put down his guns when he settled down and married, but his three sons grew up with the vehement hatred of the English of their father. Despite this, Frank led what might be considered a good life. He learned how to sing, to dance, to play the fiddle, even dabbled in art under his mother's hand. He found whatever work around Dublin he could find, and even found a girl when he was 20; a young transplant from Cork, Maggie Ross. The two were married late in 1969, when Frank was 23, and everything was going quite well for the young man. Up until the Bloody Sunday massacre in Derry.
All four men of the O'Donnell clan went north at that point, to join the fight against the English, and free their home country from oppression. Frank specialized in explosives rather than firearms, and for five long years they fought the good fight against the british. Well, apart from his youngest brother John, who was killed by a loylist after only a month. Frank was wounded badly twice in shootouts with the british, and to this day, he walks with a cane and a limp, due to damage in his right leg. It was this injury that convinced him that his fight was done. Maggie had given birth to their son, Michael, not long after Frank went north, and the thought of dying before he ever saw his son finally overcame his patriotism. And so, once he could walk again, he smuggled himself out of the north and back to his family, who had moved to Cork in the interevening years.
The next few years were not easy on Frank, as his young son was alienated from him, and Maggie's family hated him for leaving their daughter. Maggie herself, however, was different. She understood why he'd gone, and welcomed Frank back with no resentment. Eventually this love won over their son, and the two were reconciled, although the same could not be said of the inlaws. Frank became an artist, albeit not an enormously successful one, so Maggie became the primary bread-winner while Frank looked after their son and twin daughters, Aria and Sara. This changed, however, in 1981, when Frank's surviving brother Myles and his friend arrived, asking to stay for a few days. Which was all well and good, up until Irish police broke in and arrested Myles and his friend for their known terrorist activities, and arrested Frank as well for harboring a felon. All three were shipped off to england for trial.
The british couldn't prove that Frank was involved with the IRA, but he was convicted of two counts of harboring a felon, and sentanced to ten years in a Liverpool jail. He served them all, unlike his brother who served 6 months of a life sentanced before getting shivved, and for ten long years, got to experience the life of an Irish terrorist in a British jail. He acquired more scars in that time than he did as a member of the IRA. But although his body was damaged, his spirit remained unbroken, for he knew his children deserved a good man, not the kind of man he could have become in there.
His son Michael had a surprise waiting for him when he got out in 1990. Not only had the boy found a girl, he'd gone and gotten her pregnant. He would have married her in short order, but he wanted to wait until his father could be there. Frank had already missed so much of his children's lives, Michael didn't want him to miss his son's wedding.
Becoming a grandfather mellowed Frank quite a bit. The harshness that his life had beaten into him softened considerably when little Nora was born, and led him to rediscover his love of the arts. He and Maggie were blessed with child once more, in '91, with the birth of Rachel. Free of the conflict and the law, he finally had a chance to have a life with his family. He found family life suits him very well. The past twenty years have been very peaceful for him; he's made peace with his past, his children have grown and his three eldest have families of their own now, with Rachel the youngest in college. His beloved Maggie was taken in 2006 by cancer, but his family came together around him, which made things easier on the aging man.

Other: As noted, Frank gets around with a solid oak cane, because of his leg. Unlike others, however, he's taken self-defence classes on how to use that cane as a weapon. He may be disabled, but he refuses to be defenceless. Of course, the old Webley six-shooter revolver he carries helps as well, a holdover from his old IRA days. He also carries a simple flask of whiskey at all times. His livers' in great shape for his age, and he has the nickname 'Doubles' around town, as he only ever orders double shots at bars when he's drinking. His family is everything to him, and though he no longer considers himself a soldier, he'll do anything to protect them.

[Y]oukai [J]esus

• "MotK's 1%" (?)
    • Muh Writings
« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2011, 05:47:32 AM »
Wahahaha. Reisen for you? Was hoping you would choose Shinki. The Elements have Accepted your proposal. Go on posting in Act One. Oh, and by the way to all, Nanaya is my own character whose Sign-up I has posted.

WAIT A MINUTE. HES 64? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 09:40:44 AM by Youkai Jesus »

« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2011, 01:18:45 PM »
YJ, we are allowed to save our rewards for later, right?

Crow's Dumping Ground of Art

"So I never have to worry what tomorrow will bring, because my faith is on solid rock; I am counting on God."

[Y]oukai [J]esus

• "MotK's 1%" (?)
    • Muh Writings
« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2011, 01:59:27 AM »
Yes, you're allowed to keep them. Also, Sourfang could join in a bit, caz he's remaking his char. Sign ups are Open to all, but will close soon...

« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2011, 12:55:34 AM »
Oh my Oh my! It seems i might be too late if i don't think fast );

Hello, I just recently started visitng this forum. Years ago i was on a forum called AnimeRequiem, though now it is long dead, I still cherish my good memories of that place, along with the rememberance of my love for roleplaying.

So if it's not too late, I would like to join this roleplay. Of course i'll need a bit of time to think things over (since the plot is quite quite deep compared to all my previous experiences) of my character, but I'll try to quickly throw something together.

If it is too late then I'll just be sad since I missed out )=

Aya Squawkermaru

« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2011, 01:04:42 AM »
I just checked, and the actual RP started on the 5th in my timezone. It's currently the 11th for me. YJ said she's leave sign-ups open for a week after the RP starts. So, I'm fairly certain she'll let you join. I'm not her, so I can't say for certain, but at the moment I can't see any reason for her to refuse your joining.

« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2011, 01:08:22 AM »
Yes, I do hope I'll be able to roleplay with you all, seeing as I love to roleplay and has endless supplies of time on my hands.

My my, deciding on a Touhou is hard. Do you have to roleplay both yourself and your touhou?

Aya Squawkermaru

« Reply #71 on: August 12, 2011, 01:10:05 AM »
Your first post is in the Outside World, then YJ god-mods you into Gensokyo. You control only your character until you make the connection with your Touhou character, at which point you start controlling them.

« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2011, 01:17:32 AM »
Okay thank you for informing me ^^

Now i just need to pick one....uh.....I remember reading Alice, Nazrin, Rin, Byakuren, Mystia are all taken, who else?

GuyYouMetOnline

• Surprisingy not smart for lynch dodging
« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2011, 01:21:35 AM »
Kanako's mine.

Aya Squawkermaru

« Reply #74 on: August 12, 2011, 01:22:04 AM »
Byakuren, Youmu, Nazrin, Alice, Kanako, Mystia, Rin, and Reisen(? Not sure on this one, Sour hasn't posted in the actual RP yet) are all taken, to my knowledge nobody else is. It wouldn't hurt to have a back-up choice, though.

« Reply #75 on: August 12, 2011, 01:25:36 AM »
Ah, yes, I wasn't sure if YJ had informed the rest of you. I won't be participating. YJ felt my OC was too old, which is understandable, and I didn't want to make another one. So Reisen's still up for grabs.

« Reply #76 on: August 12, 2011, 01:28:21 AM »
Hm..Okay! Thank you for your help :o

It'd probably be too much to ask for help with deciding on a touhou for my partner.

The only things I've figured out is it's not a midboss only, not a fairy, not a pc-98, and not a certain bug or -shivers- spider...

Added;; Too old? Aww you wont be joining ): that's too bad then...

Currently favoring my chara to be a meal for partners with Remi, but still thinking if I'd be good playing Remi or not...

Aya Squawkermaru

« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2011, 01:29:47 AM »
Ah, I see. Well, it's too bad you won't be joining us. Maybe I can convince YJ that old people should be allowed into Gensokyo, too? :3

...Wait, how did you know we were talking about you, anyway?

Fakeedit: Oy, what you got against Wriggle? She mah homedawg.

« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2011, 01:31:28 AM »
Mainly I'm arachnophobic, but i don't like any kind of creepy crawlies... -shivers-

Off-topic Edit;; Nothing worse than waking up feeling itchy only to see you've got over 100 ants in bed with you QQ

« Reply #79 on: August 12, 2011, 01:34:05 AM »
Just because I couldn't participate doesn't mean I can't follow along. It's still an interesting world/story idea, and I love a good read.
Besides, I've never actually seen a traditional RP before. I'm curious.

« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2011, 01:36:14 AM »
Hmm.. Idk what exactly defines traditional, would you please enlighten me?

Chara;; Eientei crew, Medicine, and a few lower charas are out of the draw

Edit;; Okay brought the list of possible charas down to Reimu, Remilia, Mokou, Satori, Nitori, and Kogasa....though Kogasa might be too lower tier...plus she lives in a graveyard.....

Another Edit;; After reading through most profiles to make sure my character wasn't more or less a copy of someone else's character, I think I'm ready to begin writing my profile. Also already have the beginning thought up for her
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 02:54:55 AM by Sonae »

Aya Squawkermaru

« Reply #81 on: August 12, 2011, 03:11:56 AM »
Traditional basically means what we're doing, as opposed to Text Adventures, which is what I've usually seen Sour in (just as he reads this RP for enjoyment, I read text adventures for enjoyment.)

While I urge you to pick who you want, I think that Remilia would be an interesting pick, as we don't have anyone from the SDM.

I have a phobia of bugs, but Wriggle is still awesome.

« Reply #82 on: August 12, 2011, 03:16:15 AM »
Ah so it's just what i'm used to. Seeing as i know no other way rather than text rps.

Yeah, I think so too but I'm starting to rethink it. Are the partner's supposed to fight together as a team or what?

Oh my...writing the back story, and one part describes how my chara is really tired and eyes barely staying open.

Ironically, this is how i am atm... x_x

Aya Squawkermaru

« Reply #83 on: August 12, 2011, 03:19:49 AM »
Yeah, you may want to check out the various text adventures sometimes (they're the ones called "So-and-so Quest"), if nothing else they're interesting to read.

We haven't had any conflict that involved the Players or their Touhou characters yet, but I'm pretty sure they fight as a team, yeah.

« Reply #84 on: August 12, 2011, 03:32:21 AM »
Okay. Hoping they the typical ones that im used to.

Yeah, but im taking that into consideration. Remi isn't really the type that would fight together with someone. x:

Aya Squawkermaru

« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2011, 03:34:48 AM »
Imperishable Night called. It wanted me to tell you about Visionary Scarlet Team.

Edit: Besides, I think even Remilia would be willing to swallow her pride and work with someone if refusing to do so means the destruction of Gensokyo.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 03:38:58 AM by Squawkermaru Aya »

« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2011, 03:48:45 AM »
Yes I've played IN (btw Remi is great) but at certain parts it seems more or less she's just teasing Sakuya and avoiding a more honest partner relationship.

Hm Mokou might be fun. Flaming arrows of doom~

Only problem is I don't really know how to portray Mokou. (Despite reading the entire dialogues of three extras x_x')

Aya Squawkermaru

« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2011, 03:53:32 AM »
Only problem is I don't really know how to portray Mokou. (Despite reading the entire dialogues of three extras x_x')

Try reading Aya's interview with Mokou in Bohemian Archive in Japanese Red here.

« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2011, 04:03:07 AM »
Eh she seems kinda dangerous......and maybe like me a bit...

Edit;; Oh my...this backstory is turning out to be a lot longer than i expected  :ohdear:

I really do hope I don't get rejected for being overly detailed  :ohdear:

Eh... It's starting to get late, the sun will rise soon x:

So I think I'll take a break and continue tomorrow. Hopefully long descriptions are a good thing  :ohdear:

4th Edit? I finished the backstory! I hope it's good  :ohdear:

Now I'm off to sleep. nightnight.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 05:23:31 AM by Sonae »

[Y]oukai [J]esus

• "MotK's 1%" (?)
    • Muh Writings
« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2011, 06:40:53 AM »
My oh my. A newcomer? Yes, it shall be. You are now on Reserve. Get your sign-up asap. Feel free to choose anyone who isn't chosen as a Touhou. Oh, and sign-ups will be closed in two days time.