Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 2)  (Read 54844 times)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 2)
« Reply #480 on: June 08, 2011, 12:00:35 AM »
The guildhall would be perfect.

Edit: We could literally drop her off there; not like she knows Braston enough to know we took the long way.

« Reply #481 on: June 08, 2011, 12:06:20 AM »
Thing is, though, was she too receptive on the idea of joining the seekers? I remember Kips tried to sell her on the idea, but I can't remember if she went for it. Although dropping her off at the guildhall, letting her soak up the atmosphere there, might help in that direction.
And besides, she's heading to town expecting to take the credit and soak up the glory for 'bringing badly needed food to starving strangers', and all that jazz. Might take some fast talking to get her to go off in another direction without seeing her adoring public.

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #482 on: June 08, 2011, 12:09:22 AM »
I'm all for dropping her off at the seeker hall. She can stay there, And any trouble that's caused will most likely end with some guildee's taking her down.

>Is there any way to get to the guild without passing the melon bowl?

If she doesnt know where the shop is, She cant find us, right?

« Reply #483 on: June 08, 2011, 12:16:33 AM »
This is sounding even better. And if Marissa happens to be there and Cirno starts acting up, well... I can't see that ending too well for Cirno. Or the guildhall walls, for that matter.

« Reply #484 on: June 08, 2011, 01:22:10 AM »
>Note to self: Consult with Marissa or Minoriko on the prospect of creating pies with long-lasting freshness for Seekers everywhere.

>You make a note to investigate the possibility of merging the best qualities of both traveling rations and pie. Of course, you're not sure you'd trust any pie Marisa baked not to accidentally explode. Check that: intentionally explode. And while Minoriko is both an accomplished cook and a harvest goddess, you're not sure if her powers extend to imbuing food with unnatural freshness after it's harvested. Certainly the meals served at the Harvest's Bounty are normal fare, albeit well-prepared.

>Is there any way to get to the guild without passing the melon bowl?

>Being a sizable town, there are paths to get to most places while avoiding specific other places. However in this case, the guildhall is nearly along the main route from the town entrance to The Melon Bowl, so it would be no trouble at all to go there first.

>Journey on.

>You journey onward, slowly and haltingly making your way back towards Braston. Noon comes and then goes, though the day remains misty and with just a hint of chill among the late Summer warmth. Honey soon enough gets tired of driving - perhaps the novelty wore off - and you take the reins back. Not that the horse requires much of you on this trip. Your detour to the fairy village was during the time window that a lot of the regular shipments from Easthaven would have passed the bridge, so you have the road to yourself for much of the trip - perhaps for the best, given the strange looks Cirno would undoubtedly draw. Honey handles the uneventful trip rather less quietly than you, fidgeting and then nattering on and periodically asking questions like "Are we there yet?" or "Is being a sidekick always this boring?". Despite yourself, you do find it wearing on you after a while.
>Every now and again, Cirno stops for a break, plucking things from the back of the cart and chomping down on them with a loud declaration of "Even heroes can't work on an empty stomach!". Being a fairy, you're not certain that's especially true, but you decide it would be too much hassle to debate the point. Honey tentatively asks if she could have some too, and Cirno magnanimously tosses her a couple kiwis and a melon which nearly bowls the smaller fairy over as she tries to catch it. After a few moments of struggling comically with the unwieldy fruit, you offer to simply cut it for her and she splits it with you in return. While the fruit is technically stolen property at this point, you figure you can just write it off as part of your delivery fee and dig in.
>More time passes, and you start to pass some carts traveling away from Braston. A couple are probably headed towards a few of the outer mining camps - oni traveling among them are a dead giveaway - but a few are unmistakeably farmers returning from market. To say that Cirno draws strange looks might be an understatement, particularly given her flamboyant pronouncements by way of greeting. The other travelers gazes fall uncomfortably even on you as you pass; you greet them nonchalantly, but there's only so much you can do to compensate for Cirno, and whispers trail behind you as the farmers carry onward. You can imagine more than a handful of things they could be saying which bring a frown to your face. Still, whispers and glances are about all the interaction amounts to as you close in on Braston. At least until a large cart driven by an older man draws near to Cirno.

>At first, the furtive glances and whispering between him and the two younger farmers flanking him seemed like nothing more than what you've come to expect from everyone you pass. With a sigh, you'd simply wished that this trip could be over with. However, as Cirno approaches, he swerves his cart in the way of her path, forcing her to ineptly bring her own cart to a stop. Frankly, the fact that she didn't simply crash was more her horses' doing than her own.
>"What's the big idea!" Cirno cries, rising in her seat.
>The old man locks gazes with her. "Step away from there," he says sternly. His face is grim and severe, and quite hale-looking despite his age. You think he's also a little familiar looking. You note the other farmers gripping a pitchfork and spade, respectively. Their expressions lack his sternness, but the tension writ on them is unmistakable.

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #485 on: June 08, 2011, 01:29:51 AM »
>The hell is his problem? Do people still hate Youkai around here?
Now I'm thinking between saying 'hey bub you got a problem with youkai? COME AT ME BRO' to just moving on, But i'm not sure if Cirno would take "moving on" as an answer.

« Reply #486 on: June 08, 2011, 01:39:11 AM »
>I think his problem is with Cirno, not us.
>Bring Steady to a halt, but say nothing to them for now. Let's see how Cirno handles this.
>Quietly, to Honeysuckle, "This might be trouble."
>Try to place his face.

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #487 on: June 08, 2011, 01:39:14 AM »
Actually, my first thought was bandits, but my second guess would be getting caught with Cirno's stolen goods by other farmers in the area.
There was something here once. Wonder what...

« Reply #488 on: June 08, 2011, 01:44:04 AM »
Actually, my first thought was bandits, but my second guess would be getting caught with Cirno's stolen goods by other farmers in the area.

The latter was on my mind as well. But I figure a bit of confirmation would be good.

« Reply #489 on: June 08, 2011, 01:55:40 AM »
>The hell is his problem? Do people still hate Youkai around here?

>There's no major widespread prejudice that you've ever encountered around here. Of course, that doesn't mean that individual people mightn't have their own private ones.

>I think his problem is with Cirno, not us.
>Bring Steady to a halt, but say nothing to them for now. Let's see how Cirno handles this.
>Quietly, to Honeysuckle, "This might be trouble."
>Try to place his face.

>At the very least, that's who he's looking at at the moment.
>You bring your horse to a stop, and give Cirno a moment to see what she does.
>"No way!" Honeysuckle says. "Cirno can beat up any bandits!"
>You try to place his face. It's... you're pretty sure he's from Easthaven, although his name's escaping you at the moment.

>"Nuh-uh," Cirno says, glaring right back at the man. "There's hungry people waitin' on me, and I'm not going to let someone like you stop me!" You hear Honey let out a little squee.
>The old man is unswayed. "That doesn't belong to you," he says. "Now get down from there before we have to hurt you."
>"Like hell!" Cirno says, reaching a hand up for her sword. The other farmers tighten their grip on their weapons.

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #490 on: June 08, 2011, 01:58:42 AM »
>"Hey hey hey, Calm down guys. She's with me."
>Flash the badge
>"She's helping me return some food to The Melon Bowl, as its easier with more then one person helping, no?"

« Reply #491 on: June 08, 2011, 02:09:15 AM »
>Are we close enough for the above action to be noticed?

« Reply #492 on: June 08, 2011, 02:13:58 AM »
>"Hey hey hey, Calm down guys. She's with me."
>Flash the badge
>"She's helping me return some food to The Melon Bowl, as its easier with more then one person helping, no?"

>You call out for calm, and flash your Seeker's badge. Unfortunately, you think you're too far away for any of the farmers to be able to recognize it. You do still get their attention, though. Cirno keeps a grip on her sword, but doesn't draw it free yet.
>"You're going to have to give a better explanation than that," the old man says. ...Jirou? Was that his name?

>Are we close enough for the above action to be noticed?

>It seems doubtful. You're more than a full cart length behind Cirno, and the men are several more feet past her. The Seeker's badge is fairly small. At best, they might have seen something golden on your chest, but you're unsure of even that.

« Reply #493 on: June 08, 2011, 03:35:57 AM »
>"Stay here, Honey. This could get ugly."
>Dismount, approach the group, then do what Kips said.

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #494 on: June 08, 2011, 04:04:04 AM »
>But who is this kips person :V
>"Official business, please refrain from interfering."

« Reply #495 on: June 08, 2011, 04:13:24 AM »

>Honey nods, a focused look on her face.
>You dismount and approach the group. The men tighten their grips on their makeshift weapons, for the most part ignoring Cirno at the moment. Their nervousness definitely grows as you move closer, though. The farmer on the left moves to say something as he extends the pitchfork, but the old man holds a hand up.
>"Stay where you are," he says to you. Then his eyes narrow and his lips purse into a thin frown.

>But who is this kips person :V

>A strange being from beyond the fourth wall.

>"Official business, please refrain from interfering."

>Given that you've yet to get close enough to actually show off the badge, you decide to hold back the remarks for the moment.

« Reply #496 on: June 08, 2011, 04:19:28 AM »
Okay, yes, perhaps I should've phrased that differently. Still new at this game. Next time I'll try something like "Repeat what we just said once we get close enough for them to see us." Which is what I meant, Parser. Sorry. But moving on.

>Don't move any closer.
>"This fairy and I are returning this shipment of food to the Melon Bowl, where it's needed. Not looking for any trouble." Well at least one of us isn't, anyway.
>How well did we know this Jirou in Easthaven? Just in passing, friend of Ichirin's, what?

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #497 on: June 08, 2011, 04:40:27 AM »
Okay, yes, perhaps I should've phrased that differently. Still new at this game. Next time I'll try something like "Repeat what we just said once we get close enough for them to see us." Which is what I meant, Parser. Sorry. But moving on.

>Don't move any closer.
>"This fairy and I are returning this shipment of food to the Melon Bowl, where it's needed. Not looking for any trouble." Well at least one of us isn't, anyway.
>How well did we know this Jirou in Easthaven? Just in passing, friend of Ichirin's, what?
>Dont forget to speak loud enough so that they can hear you.
>"We're a seeker, Just getting a job done. It'd make my day and your day much easier if you just left us alone, so I can get my payment and go home."

seriously i am confused are we close far etc etc?

« Reply #498 on: June 08, 2011, 04:47:38 AM »
As I understand, we're close enough now so that they can make out our seeker badge, but not so close as to get pitchforked. Not certain of where we are in relation to Cirno's cart, however, probably still a little behind it. Actually....

>What is our location in relation to Cirno's cart, as well as Jirou's crew?

« Reply #499 on: June 08, 2011, 04:49:24 AM »
>Don't move any closer.

>You stop in your tracks. You think you catch a bit of relief on one of the farmer's faces as you do so.
>"'Returning' it?" Jirou says. "I know this cart belongs to someone else, and he does not employ fairies. Can you explain that one?"
>"He was a jerk," Cirno cries, "so I'm taking his stuff to people who actually need it!"
>The farmers faces tense. Jirou shakes his head. "At least you don't deny that you're thieves."
>"I'm not a thief!" Cirno yells.

>You didn't really know him at all. You've probably only seen him a couple times, and never spoken. Easthaven may be small, but you were never very social with the wider community.

>"We're a seeker, Just getting a job done. It'd make my day and your day much easier if you just left us alone, so I can get my payment and go home."

>"Convenient excuse," Jirou says. "Thief, Seeker, who can tell the difference? I don't suppose you have any proof you were hired to do this?"

>What is our location in relation to Cirno's cart, as well as Jirou's crew?

>You're standing on the road, near the back of Cirno's cart. Jirou's own cart is parked across the road in front of Cirno. The farmers are probably about 15 to 20 feet away from you at the moment.

« Reply #500 on: June 08, 2011, 04:52:19 AM »
>"Convenient excuse," Jirou says. "Thief, Seeker, who can tell the difference? I don't suppose you have any proof you were hired to do this?"

>That is a good question. Do we have any paperwork with us that would serve as proof?

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #501 on: June 08, 2011, 05:00:13 AM »
>That is a good question. Do we have any paperwork with us that would serve as proof?
>Show him our badge.
>If thats not enough, Try to find said paperwork or anything of the sort.

Alright, I have a feeling this is going to turn out bad. Like really bad. I'm going to kick back and watch from here on out as I do not want to see Naz get maimed by farmers.

« Reply #502 on: June 08, 2011, 05:23:29 AM »

>You did not sign any forms from the woman running The Melon Bowl. In fact, you didn't even catch her name. And you're not technically working for Isato, even though you're retrieving his stuff. You never even discussed what you would be doing with his produce, when/if you found it.

>Show him our badge.
>If thats not enough, Try to find said paperwork or anything of the sort.

>You attempt to show your badge again, although you're probably still too far for them to tell tell the difference between the real thing and some other similarly sized badge.
>You unfortunately do not have any appropriate paperwork to present.

>"Even if you really are a Seeker," Jirou says, "you would hardly be the first to make off with something that does not belong to you. I'm still waiting."
>"You're the ones that need to get out of the way," Cirno cries. "Unless you want those people to starve, and I bet you know what people like me do to people like that!" She shift her grip on her sword, pulling it just an inch free from its scabbard.
>"You talk big for a fairy," Jirou replies. "But you're still just a fairy." Cirno bristles.

« Reply #503 on: June 08, 2011, 05:52:48 AM »
>"Alright, can you two stop threatening each other for a minute? It's not getting any of us anywhere. Let's just calm down, and work this out. Without anybody getting stabbed."
>"Now, then, you're right about some Seekers, I'll give you that. I know we don't have the best reputation in the world, and it's not completely unfounded. And I have no papers, no documents, nothing but my word that I was hired by the staff of the Melon Bowl to discover what happened to this shipment, and get it back if possible."
>"But let me ask you this, Jirou. If we were trying to steal this fruit and make off with it for ourselves, why would we be bringing it back to Braston, as opposed to going off somewhere else?"

« Reply #504 on: June 08, 2011, 06:12:03 AM »
>"Alright, can you two stop threatening each other for a minute? It's not getting any of us anywhere. Let's just calm down, and work this out. Without anybody getting stabbed."
>"Now, then, you're right about some Seekers, I'll give you that. I know we don't have the best reputation in the world, and it's not completely unfounded. And I have no papers, no documents, nothing but my word that I was hired by the staff of the Melon Bowl to discover what happened to this shipment, and get it back if possible."
>"But let me ask you this, Jirou. If we were trying to steal this fruit and make off with it for ourselves, why would we be bringing it back to Braston, as opposed to going off somewhere else?"

>You appeal for calm. Cirno humphs, and keeps a grip on her sword. The farmers keep a grip on their weapons. Jirou doesn't seem to regard you with any less distaste. But at least no one's gone further than that, yet.
>Jirou listens as you explain, neither his gaze nor his expression wavering once the whole while.
>"Because Braston is the nearest large open market," Jirou says. "Where else would you go to offload this? You're certainly not going to eat it yourself before it all rots. It's not like anyone would be suspicious of one food shipment among dozens. Or at least I'm sure that's what you thought. But I know those horses, and I know they were stolen several days. Their owner is in the opposite direction of where you're going."
>"I didn't steal nothing!" Cirno repeats.
>"Fairies have strange ideas about property," Jirou continues, unfazed. "So I'll ask you. How did the two of you come into possession of this?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #505 on: June 08, 2011, 11:00:42 AM »
>"Strange ideas about property pretty much sums it up. I was hired to figure out what happened to it and get it where it's supposed to go as quickly as possible. But I'll tell you what? You don't think I'm taking it back? You're free to come with us and see."

Alright, I have a feeling this is going to turn out bad. Like really bad. I'm going to kick back and watch from here on out as I do not want to see Naz get maimed by farmers.

Actually, this could have turned out alright, but you started it really badly by playing the authority card right off the bat and alienating the farmers. It's not the first negotiation you gave us a bad start in, as well.

« Reply #506 on: June 08, 2011, 05:05:16 PM »
>"Strange ideas about property pretty much sums it up. I was hired to figure out what happened to it and get it where it's supposed to go as quickly as possible. But I'll tell you what? You don't think I'm taking it back? You're free to come with us and see."

>Jirou stares at you in silence for a moment. "That would keep us for at least two more hours," he says eventually. "And selling the goods to the right person is no guarantee that either the money or the cart will make its way back to Isato." He pauses again, a slightly different frown tugging at the corners of his mouth.
>"What's your name?" he asks.
>"Cirno, legendary swordsman of ice! And you better-"
>"Not yours," Jirou says, not even looking in her direction.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #507 on: June 08, 2011, 05:32:55 PM »
>"Nazrin. You can ask at the guild if you want to get confirmation. And hell, if you want the profits to go to him, you can take 'em to him far as I care. The horses and cart, too."

« Reply #508 on: June 08, 2011, 05:46:51 PM »
>"Nazrin. You can ask at the guild if you want to get confirmation. And hell, if you want the profits to go to him, you can take 'em to him far as I care. The horses and cart, too."

>"Hey!" Cirno cries, "I didn't rescue this stuff so that it could go back to a jerk like him! You better not go back on your word!"
>"You used to live at Ichirin's, didn't you?" Jirou asks, continuing to ignore her.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #509 on: June 08, 2011, 06:08:50 PM »
>Nod to Jirou. "That's right. Signed on to deal with the cattle situation, as soon as this is done with."