Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 2)  (Read 53570 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 2)
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2011, 06:12:16 PM »
>First, estimate how many hours we have left before getting debilitatingly tired.
>Would Ichirin be upset about skipping out on her after this?

>You're already pretty tired from being on the road for so long. Add another three hours to that and some searching around for the cart, and you're really not sure you'd be in any shape for a confrontation. Certainly you'd be dead on your feet by the time you made it back to Easthaven.
>You doubt she'd be upset with you - you think she'd be understanding about it being Seeker business and all - but you're certain she'd be disappointed, and might even be a little worried, given what she'd probably assume you've gone off to investigate.

>We can always come back to do her request, though we might want to tell her what we're doing and why. She'd probably understand, though.

>It would probably be nice to inform her. You kind of expect she'd scold you a little for pushing yourself too hard, and you know she'd be disappointed, but she'd probably understand.

>But before we do that, Would it take a considerable amount of time to get to her place, and back to the bridge?

>A detour to Ichirin's might add 15 minutes or so to the trip.

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2011, 06:15:22 PM »
Ehhh, I'm not really sure what to do as of now. What say you guys?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2011, 06:45:07 PM »
>Do we know how to ride a horse at all?

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2011, 07:23:25 PM »
>Do we know how to ride a horse at all?

>You've never really tried. Most of the horses in Easthaven are draft horses, used for ploughing or pulling carts, although a couple people do some horseback riding. You'd never had much interest yourself, although you've seen it done.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2011, 07:58:59 PM »
Looks like we'd have to rustle up a cart, then.

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2011, 08:09:19 PM »
>Are there any means of transportation that we have the slightest chance of using, like a cart or a horse?
>Preferably without stealing/borrowing.

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2011, 08:19:53 PM »
>Are there any means of transportation that we have the slightest chance of using, like a cart or a horse?
>Preferably without stealing/borrowing.

>You think you could manage to drive a cart. It would certainly be less awkward than trying to ride horseback without any practice, although you might still be able to manage the latter if you really had to. You were never really close to any of the farmers, although there's a few you'd know to speak to. Asking for borrow their horses in the middle of the night for anything short of an emergency might be a tall order, though.
>Given that you possess neither horse, nor cart, nor any means of travel aside from your own limbs, this seems unlikely.

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2011, 08:36:00 PM »
>Not a single person we can talk to? Not even Minoriko?

Welp, i'm stumped.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2011, 08:39:43 PM »
>Glance to the farmer. "Do you have any other horses?"

« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2011, 08:45:18 PM »
>Not a single person we can talk to? Not even Minoriko?

>You don't think she has one herself, although she might be better equipped to obtain the loan of one than you are.

>Glance to the farmer. "Do you have any other horses?"

>He shakes his head. "No, that's the worst part. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to afford new ones, either."

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2011, 08:54:10 PM »
I'm inclined to think we won't get the delivery there on time...

Might be best to just rest the night and let our patrons know that if when we find it tomorrow morning/afternoon we'll bring it straight to the Melon Bowl, if possible. Limits time wasted.

Did she need it there tonight, tomorrow morning, or anytime tomorrow?
There was something here once. Wonder what...

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2011, 10:27:22 PM »
Upon review, Melon Bowl Lady said she needed the shipment within the next couple days. She said she'd give us a bonus if we got it there by tomorrow, but that's not a hard deadline for the job itself.
If worse comes to worse, and it takes us the whole of tomorrow to get the shipment and get it to Braston, then we might miss out on that bonus, but we'd still get the job done.
I'm inclined to agree with you, E-Naz. I'm not anxious to challenge what might be a feral youkai after spending all day on the road. Best to grab at least a few hours sleep back at Ichirin's and get an early start tomorrow. If all goes well, we stil might get the goods back to Braston sometime late tomorrow, still get that bonus.

E-Nazrin

• fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2011, 10:51:59 PM »
Personally, I'm more concerned about disappointing Ichirin. =(

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2011, 10:55:09 PM »
I'd assume she knows we're not that little mouse she cared for anymore, And we've got money to make for supporting ourselves. Sure, She'll be upset, But that doesnt really help us in any way.
Upon review, Melon Bowl Lady said she needed the shipment within the next couple days. She said she'd give us a bonus if we got it there by tomorrow, but that's not a hard deadline for the job itself.
If worse comes to worse, and it takes us the whole of tomorrow to get the shipment and get it to Braston, then we might miss out on that bonus, but we'd still get the job done.
I'm inclined to agree with you, E-Naz. I'm not anxious to challenge what might be a feral youkai after spending all day on the road. Best to grab at least a few hours sleep back at Ichirin's and get an early start tomorrow. If all goes well, we stil might get the goods back to Braston sometime late tomorrow, still get that bonus.
You know, This info would'va helped a lot. Ah well, we got it now, no use crying about it.

So what do we do? Aim for the bonus, or do Ichirin's job?

« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2011, 11:08:24 PM »

I should hope Ichirn was proud of us for coming as far as we have, but we won't dissapoint her here. Either way we go, we'll get our jobs done. And anything else that comes up. We'll show her that she took good care of us, and that we'll amount to big things in this world.

But speaking of Ichirin's job, we never actually DID get the details on that before we set out again. At least beyond what we already have. I'd like to ask her about that when we get back there, before we bunk down for the night.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2011, 12:29:55 AM »
Yeah, the big bonus is why we're making such a big deal about it. If it were a hard deadline, I don't think anyone would have bothered with the job unless the upfront pay was much less nebulous.

A question does come to mind about how much we know about dealing with feral youkai, given our own start as one.

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2011, 01:04:29 AM »
Well, We've got Dowsing Rods that can work as a club, and since we're mice I'd assume we'd have some sort of spidey-sense, if not that then we're at least agile.
But iunno. I'm thinking now that we should just do the job when we can, But it'd be much nicer of us to save the story from bankruptcy, yaknow? Might net us a few things.

« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2011, 01:32:43 AM »
And kunai that we've yet to draw. But that IS a good question, Purvis.

>How much do we know about feral youkai in general? For that matter, what were we like in our early days after we transformed?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2011, 01:32:52 AM »
Our main weapon are kunai. We might've been able to one-shot Cirno with them.

The one advantage we do have to acting right now is that our murine brethern tend to be more active at night. And, if the shopkeeper was attacked during the day, it suggests there's a good chance the youkai would be asleep now.

« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2011, 02:27:16 AM »
>How much do we know about feral youkai in general? For that matter, what were we like in our early days after we transformed?

>It depends a great deal on the kind of youkai, and of course there are individual differences in temperament even among youkai of the same type. Animal youkai tend to inherit traits and temperaments similar to the animal they once were, although this is not universal, and years of life as a youkai may change this further. But a youkai that had recently awakened from a territorial and predatory animal might still respond savagely to perceived incursions. Not all wild youkai awakened from animals, of course, but for the many youkai that defy blanket categorization, there's no easy way to predict their temperament in advance. Perhaps if you had a better idea what you were dealing with...
>Many youkai born in the wild, be they animal or otherwise, do eventually choose to integrate themselves into society in some fashion. A complex mind is rarely content living the same existence as an animal forever. Yet, some remain aloof, either choosing consciously to live among the wilds, or simply not ascending far beyond their instincts. Attacks from wild youkai are rare in most places, but not unheard of. These can range from simply driving others from their territory to actual attempts to prey upon humans as youkai did in ancient times, although the latter is very rare indeed.
>The earliest days of your own existence as a youkai are hazy now, from a time before your mind had grown comfortable with its new complexity. When you awakened, you gradually found yourself aware of language, and of complex thoughts that would have been impossible for you earlier, although you lacked knowledge. In many ways, you were only a few steps removed from the instincts that had ruled your life as a simple mouse. But it was with new eyes that you viewed the world now and you found yourself noticing and pondering things about it which would have been irrelevant to you before. And then you met Ichirin, who showed you more things than you'd ever realized you hadn't known. In many ways, when you look back on your earliest days as a youkai, they feel as though they belonged to a different person altogether.

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2011, 02:52:26 AM »
So we've went down memory lane, And learnt that we dont have to do the job right now.
Also, Question, Are guilders the universal currency, or as the name implies just for guild-related use only?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2011, 03:00:05 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guilder

Probably fairly local, though.

Anyways, Sour, what's your call on this?

« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2011, 03:16:19 AM »
Personally, I think we have enough information to find that shipment now, or at least the wagon part of it. And we know where to start looking from.

I say we bid buddy adieu for now, head back to Ichirin' to cop a few z's, and hear what her job is before bedtime. We can get an early start, around the crack of dawn, then set off for the bridge to go youkai hunting. With some luck, might score a bit of breakfast from Big Mama Ichirin as well. Or, if Ichirin's task is more time sensitive, we can deal with that first, depending on its severity.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2011, 03:28:12 AM »
Sour's got the plan. If we're real lucky, Ichirin might be able to hook us up with some transit.

>"Alright sir. I apologize for waking you up, and I shall be on this issue tomorrow morning. I need to arrange a few things first."

« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2011, 03:32:13 AM »
>"Alright sir. I apologize for waking you up, and I shall be on this issue tomorrow morning. I need to arrange a few things first."

>Isato shakes his head. "Don't worry about it. Uh, waking me up, I mean. I mean, I wasn't really that asleep in the first place." He rubs his forehead.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2011, 03:38:14 AM »
>Nod.
>"Still, thank you for your cooperation. Hopefully, by tomorrow, I'll be able to get your horses and wagon back to you."
>Unless he says something particularly compelling, take our leave and head back to the orphanage.

E-Nazrin

• fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2011, 03:38:53 AM »
>Nightmares, probably...

« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2011, 03:49:19 AM »
>Nightmares, probably...

>In his position, that wouldn't be hard to believe. He did seem a little rattled.

>Nod.
>"Still, thank you for your cooperation. Hopefully, by tomorrow, I'll be able to get your horses and wagon back to you."
>Unless he says something particularly compelling, take our leave and head back to the orphanage.

>"That'd be great," he says. "Seriously, I can't think of anything better right now."
>You take your leave; Isato nods to you as you go. The walk back to the orphanage is fairly short and uneventful, if somewhat darker than the first trip.

>When you reach the orphanage, you note the fairy from earlier is still perched on the roof, her legs dangling over the edge and swinging idly back and forth.
>"Hey!" she says, giving a small wave in your direction.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2011, 03:49:59 AM »
>"Evening! Ichirin still up?"

« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2011, 03:56:30 AM »
>"Evening! Ichirin still up?"

>"Think so," she says, then shakes her head. "You people and your sleeping through the night," she adds in a vaguely chiding tone.