Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest  (Read 54437 times)

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest
« Reply #750 on: May 08, 2011, 04:11:08 PM »
>"Just some Oni beating the crap out of some dude. Thought I'd step in, ya'know?"

« Reply #751 on: May 08, 2011, 04:15:22 PM »
>"A fight. So me and Orange gave her one til she stopped being a problem. Think her name was Yuzu or something?"

>"Ha!" Marisa gives you a friendly slap on the shoulder. "Day one and you're already roughing up oni. Wish I'd been there to see it."

>"Just some Oni beating the crap out of some dude. Thought I'd step in, ya'know?"

>"Huh. Any idea what it was about?"

« Reply #752 on: May 08, 2011, 04:19:29 PM »
>Rotate shoulder a time or two. Still a bit sore from that brawl with Yuzu. Still, figured Marissa would like hearing about that little escapade.
>"I never did get a straight answer out of either one of 'em on that. Yuzu ended up getting arrested, so I was gonna check in with Orange once I got back from Easthaven, see if she'd gotten anything out of her."

« Reply #753 on: May 08, 2011, 04:33:08 PM »
>Rotate shoulder a time or two. Still a bit sore from that brawl with Yuzu. Still, figured Marissa would like hearing about that little escapade.
>"I never did get a straight answer out of either one of 'em on that. Yuzu ended up getting arrested, so I was gonna check in with Orange once I got back from Easthaven, see if she'd gotten anything out of her."

>You give your shoulder a little stretch. All things considered, you could be a lot more bruised than you are.
>"Arrested? Seriously? Man, can't remember the last time I heard that happened. Almost surprised it hadn't gotten back to me already. Nice job!"
>Marisa's eyes perk up. "Oh! Speaking of which, did you hear about the scuffle that went down at that dig site last night - you know, way up off the northern edge?"

GuyYouMetOnline

• Surprisingy not smart for lynch dodging
« Reply #754 on: May 08, 2011, 04:52:26 PM »
>What do we know about this dig site? Ask Marisa about anything about it we don't know.
>"No, no I didn't. What happened?"

« Reply #755 on: May 08, 2011, 05:30:05 PM »
>What do we know about this dig site? Ask Marisa about anything about it we don't know.
>"No, no I didn't. What happened?"

>You're vaguely aware of an archeological dig on a small islet among a cluster of them off the northern edge of Estval. Someone recently stumbled upon ruins of some sort, and a team from the Grand Academy quickly came and set up camp there. To the best of your knowledge, that entire area is uninhabited and has been for as long as anyone remembers. You're not sure if even the archeologists themselves are certain how old they are, or who built them. Travel in that area's always been difficult, so it could have been a very long time indeed since someone found a navigable route to the island. Of course, the Seekers' Guild was abuzz with interest when the news first hit - ever eager for some new treasure or lost artifact - but it's been pretty quiet up that way for a while now. You'd figured the find was turning out to be less interesting than everyone had hoped, archeologist included. As for what you don't know about, there's probably a great many things, although you're not sure Marisa would have the answers to those questions either.
>"Don't really know, myself," Marisa says. "Just bits and pieces. It's kinda vague by the time it's filtered back down here, but I hear they were attacked by something. Or someone tried to rob them. Or both." She scratches her head. "Of course, you've got some people whispering that they unearthed some ancient sealed youkai or something. Do they think every old place comes packaged with one of those these days? Although..." She grins a little. "It does make me think there may be something worth finding up there after all."

« Reply #756 on: May 08, 2011, 06:27:36 PM »
>Wry grin. That grin of hers is bloody contagious.
>"I get the impression they're gonna get some company up there very shortly."

« Reply #757 on: May 08, 2011, 06:32:13 PM »
>Wry grin. That grin of hers is bloody contagious.
>"I get the impression they're gonna get some company up there very shortly."

>You grin back at her.
>Marisa nods. "Think that's a safe bet. The Academy people try to keep gawkers away, but I'm sure a few of us will find our way up there anyway."

« Reply #758 on: May 08, 2011, 06:40:55 PM »
>"Try not to blast TOO many of em."

« Reply #759 on: May 08, 2011, 06:45:28 PM »
>"Try not to blast TOO many of em."

>"Hey, give me some credit, Naz," she frowns. "Most of them are only students anyway."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #760 on: May 08, 2011, 07:10:44 PM »
>Grin.
>"You were only a student once, and it didn't stop you, did it?"

« Reply #761 on: May 08, 2011, 07:18:03 PM »
>"I KNOW you, Mari. 'course that also means I know you well enough to know that you know you well enough to know when not to blow things up." Usually.
>Pause. Twitch.
>"That was a mouthful."

« Reply #762 on: May 08, 2011, 07:29:42 PM »
>Grin.
>"You were only a student once, and it didn't stop you, did it?"

>"Probably not," she says with a chuckle. "But these are archaeology students, Naz. Grand Academy or no, most of them probably can't cast a spell to save their life."

>"I KNOW you, Mari. 'course that also means I know you well enough to know that you know you well enough to know when not to blow things up." Usually.
>Pause. Twitch.
>"That was a mouthful."

>"Yup!" Marisa says, not missing a beat. You frankly wonder if she even bothered to parse that.
>You pause, and acknowledge how much of a mouthful that was. Marisa just chuckles and shakes her head.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #763 on: May 08, 2011, 08:09:37 PM »
>Does Marisa have anyone in the guild she could consider a rival?

« Reply #764 on: May 08, 2011, 08:16:43 PM »
>Does Marisa have anyone in the guild she could consider a rival?

>Not that you're aware of, and frankly you don't know of any active Seekers who could keep up with her. Certainly none in Braston.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #765 on: May 08, 2011, 09:03:21 PM »
>Who are the other notable seekers, in fact?

« Reply #766 on: May 08, 2011, 09:31:21 PM »
>Who are the other notable seekers, in fact?

>While there are more than a handful of Seekers you would describe as competent and capable (Lunasa among them), there are far fewer you'd personally consider 'notable'. Marisa is certainly at the top of the list for ones still active and traveling about, and of course Rinnosuke's reputation is something of a minor legend in and of itself. You're rather less familiar with Seekers who operate in other parts of the world, but no specific names have filtered back from there which stand out in your mind at the moment. Of course, Marisa's style and personality are likely the cause of much of her notoriety, beyond simply her actual accomplishments.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #767 on: May 08, 2011, 10:59:01 PM »
>"So what's your secret to get all the good jobs that pay more than a fraction of the month's rent, anyways?"

« Reply #768 on: May 08, 2011, 11:31:58 PM »
>"So what's your secret to get all the good jobs that pay more than a fraction of the month's rent, anyways?"

>"Ha! Divulge trade secrets? Never!" She lifts her head up smugly.
>"But seriously Naz, a lot of it's just making sure you get there before the next guy. Remember, some of the best jobs never make it to the board. Sometimes you have to find your own opportunities. That badge opens doors." She pokes yours again. "People respect it. Er, even if they might also think you'll try to fleece them blind. Just find someone who needs your skills, and is willing to pay for them. There's probably more of them out there than you think." She nods sagely. "Or buried treasure. That's always good, too."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #769 on: May 08, 2011, 11:42:02 PM »
>"Or to sum it up, you get a web of contacts."

« Reply #770 on: May 08, 2011, 11:52:17 PM »
>"Or to sum it up, you get a web of contacts."

>"Knowing first leads to doing first. And don't think for a moment that someone else isn't trying to beat you to the prize. Just keep your eyes and ears open, is all." She grins at you. "You may even have a leg up on me on the second bit."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #771 on: May 09, 2011, 12:13:24 AM »
>"Mayeb you could suggest a few good places to start? Not as though someone who just looted a bunch of ghosts can't spare a resource or two, eh?"

« Reply #772 on: May 09, 2011, 12:45:27 AM »
>"Mayeb you could suggest a few good places to start? Not as though someone who just looted a bunch of ghosts can't spare a resource or two, eh?"

>"Aww, c'mon Naz..." she says, frowning at you. "You know I like you and all, but I gotta keep some tricks to myself. I'm sure the two of us will end up racing each other over a contract yet, just you watch. But, well... when you hear something that grabs your curiosity, follow up. Even if it might be nothing. I've found a whole lot of nothings since I've been a Seeker, but you just keep at it, see? Sooner or later you'll find something worth finding. That's how it works. And keep your ear to where the news and the money is; the port's good for that. Lots of both coming in and out of there. And then there's collectors. Or just, I dunno, find the next orichalcum vein for Yuugi and them. I bet you've got a better chance of pulling that off than anyone else in Estval. May as well get some use out of that present, eh?" She grins.

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #773 on: May 09, 2011, 12:46:39 AM »
>"Well, It sure as hell beats doing something like finding cats with these babies."

« Reply #774 on: May 09, 2011, 12:54:52 AM »
>"Well, It sure as hell beats doing something like finding cats with these babies."

>"Really? I could have sworn you said you couldn't wait to find the next one." Her expression is one of practiced innocence.

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #775 on: May 09, 2011, 12:57:07 AM »
>"Hmmm... I wonder if these rods are good for stabbing eyes out... Oh, whats that? I was thinking outloud?"
>evail grin

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #776 on: May 09, 2011, 01:03:34 AM »
>"Hmmm... I wonder if these rods are good for stabbing eyes out... Oh, whats that? I was thinking outloud?"
>evail grin

>Let's not say this as Nazrin isn't that dumb.
>Instead: "You're always welcome to have one ready for me when I get back. I think they asked for a striped one, if I recall correctly."

« Reply #777 on: May 09, 2011, 01:12:05 AM »
>Let's not say this as Nazrin isn't that dumb.
>Instead: "You're always welcome to have one ready for me when I get back. I think they asked for a striped one, if I recall correctly."

>"What, and take away your fun? I wouldn't have the heart for it, Naz." Her smirk is almost obnoxiously pointed.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #778 on: May 09, 2011, 01:31:00 AM »
>"No no, I think it would do you some good to remember how you started out, especially since you're taking some time off after that big score and all."

« Reply #779 on: May 09, 2011, 02:16:44 AM »
>"No no, I think it would do you some good to remember how you started out, especially since you're taking some time off after that big score and all."

>"Hey, I told you my first job was busting up some thieves. But if you want me to get all sentimental..." She cracks her knuckles. "Think the fairies will mind if he's slightly singed?"