Author Topic: Ask a Staffer Ep. 6 - Purvis  (Read 33072 times)

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
Re: Ask a Staffer Ep. 6 - Purvis
« Reply #120 on: March 26, 2011, 06:44:37 PM »
Sick stuff.
Oh, so it DID turn out better than expected! I thought they had you breaking rocks and peeling potatoes to pay off the debt.
RP stuff.
If you say so. My general impression was always just the opposite, though. Oh well.

Anywho, any interest in sports/sports teams?

And since I wanna ask a dopey question, can you dance the lambada - the forbidden dance?

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #121 on: March 26, 2011, 07:38:56 PM »
Yeah, those are horrible examples.  Carlos Mencia had everyone shit on him once it came to light that he stole jokes wholesale.  Dennis Leary gets the shaft for lifting a lot of his material from Bill Hicks, even while he was still alive.  Dane Cook was big a few years ago, but he was also found to be stealing jokes, and people wised up to his horrible delivery.  I think with a few exceptions (Patton Oswalt for one) material from after the 90s is weaksauce. 

Patton Oswalt is kinda iffy for me. I've heard stuff I liked, and I've heard stuff that just fell flat. My hipster friend insists I love him as well, which poisons the well a bit. Also, I've noticed there's been a trend since...I dunno when of comedians leaning toward a persona that can be summed up as "I'm such an insensitive asshole, aren't I just so edgy? that I find annoying, but that's just the perception I've gotten from the few brushes I've had with it lately.

Aside from your DS/GBASP do you play many video games? 

Emulators have been my buddy, as I lost my SNES cables some time ago. And for stuff I could have never actually played in my language anyways. I've not messed with consoles much lately. Which isn't so bad as I have no current gen consoles for stuff to keep piling up upon.

What do you dislike about film as a medium?

Length is a huge factor. Typically they try to tell a story in an hour and a half to two hours; the enormous number of scenes left out of book to movie conversions is a testament to this. A lot of stories, frankly, need more time than that. Treatment of characters tends to be shallow in comparison to written works and full out series. It's difficult to be subtle about details in a movie, as there are typically a lot more visual details to be found than in written works, so it is difficult to draw attention to a particular detail without putting too much emphasis on it and bludgeoning the watcher over the head with it. Non-animated movies are heavily limited by their budgets and how believable their can make their CGI effects, while a writer has no such concerns. But really, the time aspect is the big one; you have to make the watcher learn about a character and like them in a brief span of time, and trying to do this with more than a couple characters becomes less and less possible under this constraint. And even worse is time to explore side concepts that are not immediately related from the actual story. Some movies can do this well, but the examples are pretty rare compared to the legions of books that have come out since movies hit it big, let along before.

Do you play any instruments? If you don't, which instrument would you like to play?

I have no musical talent at all. I'd like to play the accordion, so I could get my Zydeco on.

What was so bad about Reaganomics?

Without going into too much detail, it ignores a lot of previously established economic knowledge on the faithful hope that free market will do good because the free market is innately good. Unfortunately, the truth is that the free market is a blind idiot god, and those who steer it are generally not interested in helping everyone along; for instance you can look at how real wages have stayed pretty much the same that they were, on average, throughout the aughts. As such, they exist largely as a measure to speed up the stratification of wealth, while removing things that help the poor and unfortunate to have a decent standard of life.

Do you prefer reading manga or watching anime?

Yes. I usually enjoy both.

What is your opinion on Dubya?

I'm going to take this in a slightly different direction. GW Bush had some good thoughts on immigration reform, particularly with giving a blanket amnesty to illegals (one of the very few good things Reagan did), and advocated it even though it is highly unpopular within his party. As well, BW Bush himself (not his administration, I should note) made geniune attempts to reach out to Muslims and made efforts to keep all muslims from being branded as terrorists, traitors, and generally being viewed like Jews were in 1930s Germany. His party, however, undermined that greatly.

Everything else GW Bush did? Fuck him. Fuck him with a bat.

Oh, so it DID turn out better than expected! I thought they had you breaking rocks and peeling potatoes to pay off the debt.If you say so.

I have no doubt they'd take my organs or toss me into a debtor's prison if they could. If not the hospital itself, than definitely the collection agency.

If you say so. My general impression was always just the opposite, though. Oh well.

Finding a good group is hella important, and it helps if they're not using a twink-out system like DnD. It can quickly go to hell with influential moron.

Anywho, any interest in sports/sports teams?

Practically none. I do try to listen attentively if people talk at me about sports, and figure out enough things to be half-decent to converse at. And I do love crowd energy. For instance, I didn't really care at all for the World Cup last summer, but I did very enjoy all the genuine and unreserved excitement around it, which is why I didn't mind a bit when #meido would become soccer chat for long periods of time. Even if it's not my thing, seeing my friends openly and excitedly enjoying something does my bitter old heart some good.

And since I wanna ask a dopey question, can you dance the lambada - the forbidden dance?

Not yet.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #122 on: March 26, 2011, 08:20:36 PM »
Have you ever considered being a teacher of either history or political science?

Would you say yes if a rurouni ever asked you to wander about on forgotten old roads enjoying one another's company?

Since you mentioned objectivism, have you ever read Atlas Shrugged or any other works by Ayn Rand? Or are they better used to prop up unwieldy furniture?

Have you ever considered drawing, at least to supplement your RPs?

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #123 on: March 26, 2011, 08:35:51 PM »
Whats your favourite kind of weather?

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #124 on: March 26, 2011, 08:49:10 PM »
Have you ever considered being a teacher of either history or political science?

I have, but I really don't perform well in front of groups, and my physical speaking skills are pretty lousy and difficult to sustain. I suppose I could function as a personal tutor, but I'd need to be trained for it.

Would you say yes if a rurouni ever asked you to wander about on forgotten old roads enjoying one another's company?

What the hell do you think hobos do?

Since you mentioned objectivism, have you ever read Atlas Shrugged or any other works by Ayn Rand? Or are they better used to prop up unwieldy furniture?

I've tried, but Rand's writing and characterization are pretty lousy, aside from the awful message. She is very much an excellent bad example for writers. And I would suggest using them for cage bedding, myself.

Have you ever considered drawing, at least to supplement your RPs?

I used to try to draw, back in high school, but I had a fairly unsteady hand then, and pretty much no concept of how to shade well or make faces that weren't horrors. I came to enjoy writing much more than drawing, and what little skill I had has atrophied to uselessness. As such, I prefer to bully slaves into giving me artworks!

Whats your favourite kind of weather?

Depends on the season. Usually I enjoy clear skies with maybe a couple clouds, but in winter I like it to be clouded over, especially when it has snowed. I like being able to work off ambient natural light, and leave the lamp off.

« Reply #125 on: March 26, 2011, 08:53:02 PM »

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #126 on: March 26, 2011, 09:38:03 PM »
omg purvois how culd u
That sounds rather classy.

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #127 on: March 26, 2011, 11:25:24 PM »
What are your preferred fruits to eat?

What are the most important books you've ever read?

What time period would you most like to go back to and watch as everything played out, though not interacting with any of it at all?

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
  • Making being an evil spirit look good
    • Tondemonai
« Reply #128 on: March 26, 2011, 11:33:09 PM »
What do you think the future of the world will be like?

What would you like the future of the world to be like?

Do you think the world really does run on a cycle of some time period determined by forces beyond our current level of comprehension, such as the 60 year cycle?

"I don't have anything against you, but I hope you're ready to die a dog's death!
Oh, don't worry, that cat will carry off your body, so you'll be able to live in our place!"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #129 on: March 27, 2011, 12:24:52 AM »
omg purvois how culd u

~lelele
That sounds rather classy.

And Latin doesn't?

What are your preferred fruits to eat?

Olives. olives are pretty much the only fruit I can stand; the texture of most fruit is very nauseating to me. I can't really figure out why olives don't bother me, but they don't. That said, I love most fruit flavorings.

What are the most important books you've ever read?

That's an extremely difficult question. I'm going to say Edith Hamilton's Mythology, it was probably the first book that got me into academic subjects at all. Read it when I was ten, after playing Battle of Olympus, and it got me into mythology, which got me into history, then into government, and so on.

What time period would you most like to go back to and watch as everything played out, though not interacting with any of it at all?

I'd want to go back into the paleolithic period, let things play through til the bronze age, and watch human culture begin.

What do you think the future of the world will be like?

I have the suspicion that it's going to be pretty violent. The American public has pretty much established, on the whole, it doesn't mind America throwing its weight around as long as we think we're winning. And given we have pretty much the largest military, that's bad news for just about everyone.

What would you like the future of the world to be like?

I would like to see the US military defunded, multi-national corporations reigned in, and so on. But sadly, common sense is dismissed as Utopian foolishness, so it's likely to be the exact opposite of what of will happen.

Do you think the world really does run on a cycle of some time period determined by forces beyond our current level of comprehension, such as the 60 year cycle?

No, we don't need forces beyond our imagination for that. Just things like people forgetting history as generations advance does it nicely.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #130 on: March 27, 2011, 01:00:23 AM »
As far as comedians go, have you given Lewis Black or Christopher Titus a try?
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #131 on: March 27, 2011, 01:03:25 AM »
What is your favourite tragic flaw to give a character? Conversely, what's your favourite heroic trait to give a character?

How did you get into KoL? And what was your first class choice?

Do you watch the Olympics, even though you've said you have no vested interest in sports?

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #132 on: March 27, 2011, 01:15:52 AM »
What is your family situation?  (Parents, siblings, children, etc.)

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #133 on: March 27, 2011, 01:35:39 AM »
As far as comedians go, have you given Lewis Black or Christopher Titus a try?

I've seen a little bit of Lewis Black. He's kinda teetering on the edge for me, but I like I generally likes him. As for Titus, not seen his stand-up, did see his sitcom.

What is your favourite tragic flaw to give a character? Conversely, what's your favourite heroic trait to give a character?

Hmmm. When it comes to flaws, I tend to like wrath, callousness, or being a prankster. When it comes to good traits...I generally tend to like compassion.

How did you get into KoL? And what was your first class choice?

Heard about it from my hipster friend. And I started as a pastamancer. Spent a good year as one before ascension was implemented.

Do you watch the Olympics, even though you've said you have no vested interest in sports?

Not really. But I won't throw a fuss if someone else is. And I suppose if chat caught Olympicsmania, I'd probably keep up just to enjoy the excitement with others.

What is your family situation?  (Parents, siblings, children, etc.)

Let's see, know both my parents, who are still around. Help out my paternal grandparents weekly; maternal ones are gone. I have one little sister (she's about the average age of peoples here), and one half brother I don't see very often; never really did, didn't even learn he existed until I was 12 or so. We all get along.

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #134 on: March 27, 2011, 01:39:44 AM »
Could you bring back some milk from the store purvis?

Did you know about this?

Do you think I can actually make a srs question?

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #135 on: March 27, 2011, 01:42:55 AM »
Did you know about this?
It's been posted on the forums before. Don't remember when, though

Have you ever read Asimov's Nightfall? If positive, what did you think of it? If negative, I think you'd enjoy it a lot.
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #136 on: March 27, 2011, 01:45:45 AM »
What do you think of Canada?

Do you frequent any webcomics (excluding MSPA)?

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #137 on: March 27, 2011, 02:08:17 AM »
Could you bring back some milk from the store purvis?

More like, you bring me some milk, nerd!

Did you know about this?

Actually, I did not. Who the hell is this Biscotti person? Unless you're asking about Urban Disctionary, upon which, yes I am well aware of this graveyard of English.

Do you think I can actually make a srs question?

The outlook is poor. You really are trying too hard.

Have you ever read Asimov's Nightfall? If positive, what did you think of it? If negative, I think you'd enjoy it a lot.

Never read any Amisov, actually. Didn't really know where to begin. I'll keep this in mind.

What do you think of Canada?

It is America's hat.

Do you frequent any webcomics (excluding MSPA)?

Not anymore. I used to chill out on the Adventurers! forum, though, where I met Mus back in the early aughts, and also read Antihero for Hire. And I had some small presence in the Kid Radd forums. Also used to read RPGWorld, and some of the Bob and George subcomics. Penny Arcade, too. Around...I dunno, '04 or so, I sorta stopped paying attention to most of them. I think it was a series of interrupted update schedules. That and dial-up. These days, once in awhile I read Order of the Stick, because I like laughing at 3e. Also, sometimes I'll look through Erfworld. Though the line of fics has kinda put me off. But yeah, by and large the era of the webcomic seems to have passed.

« Reply #138 on: March 27, 2011, 02:10:19 AM »
It is America's hat.
I appear to have laughed out a lung. Do you have a prescription for this, doctor?

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #139 on: March 27, 2011, 02:11:48 AM »
Your views on suicide?
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

« Reply #140 on: March 27, 2011, 08:35:34 AM »
What games, or series do you enjoy on handhelds?
In general, do you prefer instrumentals, or do you think music should have lyrics?
Any favorite comic books?

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #141 on: March 27, 2011, 09:13:42 AM »
Why is Kate Beaton so awesome?

If you had the chance to change any one event in history to an outcome of your choosing, which would you choose and why?

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
    • Tondemonai
« Reply #142 on: March 27, 2011, 10:07:02 AM »
Have you ever faced a natural disaster of any kind, such as tornadoes or other violent storms?

Do you look up to someone as a hero, and who is it if you do?

What do you think the best virus protection out there is? (Mine was updating at the time, which made me think of this question)

Who do you think the best US president was? The worst?

Which touhou would made the best president?

"I don't have anything against you, but I hope you're ready to die a dog's death!
Oh, don't worry, that cat will carry off your body, so you'll be able to live in our place!"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #143 on: March 27, 2011, 02:07:09 PM »
Your views on suicide?

While, ultimately, it is the person's own choice, the vast majority of the time, the person is crippled by grief of some kind or another and just wants to pain to end by any means possible. Meaning that they aren't really in their right mind, and everything should be done to help this person.

What games, or series do you enjoy on handhelds?

I like them games what are fun. There's too many to list properly, and I've have to dig pretty deep into my rememory to be accurate, as they don't all come at once.

In general, do you prefer instrumentals, or do you think music should have lyrics?

I think, when all is said and done, I lean slightly toward instrumentals, as there are a number of bands who consider singing as an afterthought, and completely ruin the whole thing. And, as mentioned, whiny whitey vocals are pretty much the bane of music. It takes a hell of a song for those not to ruin it.|

Any favorite comic books?

I used to like a lot of Marvel stuff when I was in middle school. Then I discovered real books, and got put off by comics general shallowness, milking, crossing over everything, and so on.

Why is Kate Beaton so awesome?

Silly faces and history.

If you had the chance to change any one event in history to an outcome of your choosing, which would you choose and why?

[/img] I would do all in my power to make Reagan political failure. The damage he did to the political discourse, and the world, is inestimable.

Have you ever faced a natural disaster of any kind, such as tornadoes or other violent storms?

The closest I had to deal with to that was with that one hurricane blew into Neohio in '08. Scared the piss out of me. After that, mostly white-outs and stuff.

Do you look up to someone as a hero, and who is it if you do?

I think the closest thing I have to a hero is Martin Luther King Jr. But admittedly, I've kinda gone past idolizing people.

What do you think the best virus protection out there is? (Mine was updating at the time, which made me think of this question)

Wish I knew. Malwarebytes seems to do it for me, though.

Who do you think the best US president was? The worst?

Best is very hard to say, pretty much every president has made terrible, far-reaching decisions of some kind that have directly gotten innocents killed, spread misery, abused the general ideals of the nation, and so on. The worst should be obvious.

Which touhou would made the best president?

Hina.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #144 on: March 27, 2011, 02:22:32 PM »
Who was worse: Reagan or W?
You mentioned Mythology as important, but what are your favorite books?
Do you think the lack of desire for the public to read can be reversed?  Do you think it may ultimately have a negative consequence to not read?
CDs or digital?  Player of choice?
Favorite ice cream?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #145 on: March 27, 2011, 04:16:29 PM »
Who was worse: Reagan or W?

Reagan made W possible. And is still regarded as a political idol with worthy ideals. W, on the other hand, is properly disgraced. However, W got far more people directly killed more or less in the name of revenge. It's really hard to say which sack smells worse with you have many hundreds of tons of shit in each. But technically, Reagan is worse, which really just plays up how comic book villain bad he was compared to W's comic book villainry.

You mentioned Mythology as important, but what are your favorite books?

Big fan of discworld, big fan of Jonathan Strange and Mr Norell, and dozens of others I cannot conjure to mind at the moment. Nonfiction, it's harder to say; there's no one single book that was overwhelmingly important. I'll tentatively say The Art of War, for more or less blowing the concept of total war out of the water in my much younger mind, and for being very clearly written in the process.But really this is just me flailing about for something solid to answer with.

Do you think the lack of desire for the public to read can be reversed?  Do you think it may ultimately have a negative consequence to not read?

I am pretty sure, statistically, book sales have not been better. A lot of the public's lack of desire to read comes from the fact they're ground into the ground 8-12 hours a day, and just want to relax when they get home. With only 8 hours a day to actually be a human being, reading falls to the wayside for many. As well, it can be difficult to know what to read; you can't really channel surf books. I would say not reading does have negative consequences; books go much more into depth on a subject than anything short of proper lectures.

CDs or digital?  Player of choice?

I much prefer digital. I like having all my music in one place and on shuffle. Player-wise, all I gots is my winamp. It does the jorb nicely, and has SNESAmp, which I greatly enjoy.

Favorite ice cream?

Cake batter. I can't not get it when I have the choice of it. It declares it's identity in my head like a screaming warrior out of 300, and I cannot resist.

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #146 on: March 27, 2011, 07:30:20 PM »
Did you have any teachers who were especially influential in your life, in retrospect?

What do you think of the Indiana Jones series?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #147 on: March 27, 2011, 11:17:08 PM »
Did you have any teachers who were especially influential in your life, in retrospect?

Not specifically. But, in general I had a lot of teachers who were genuinely helpful and encouraging, and probably did a lot to keep me from being bitter and disillusioned with things.

What do you think of the Indiana Jones series?

I am the only person who haven't watched them. This is doubly terrible because archeologist is another of my favorite Nethack classes.

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #148 on: March 27, 2011, 11:34:14 PM »
Do you own a fedora? If you don't, would you?

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
    • Tondemonai
« Reply #149 on: March 27, 2011, 11:35:11 PM »
Where would you like to participate in archeological work?

Have you ever been on the site of an archeological excavation?

If Reagan and W got into a street fight, who would win? (Both around the same age and all, seeing as Reagan is kinda dead)