Author Topic: "Do you like scary movies?"  (Read 19918 times)

Furienify

• Yeehaw!
  • Equestrian Fansubber
    • Youtube Channel
Re: "Do you like scary movies?"
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2010, 02:13:19 PM »
Birds. Man, that brings back memories.
Really don't enjoy horror movies, but my dad helped me appreciate the "monster movies".
Aliens, Jurassic Park, Them, Creature of the Black Lagoon, Gorgo.

Jurassic Park 1 was and still is my favorite movie of all time simply because most of my nightmares feature, in some way, raptors.

Pan's Labyrinth also had a pretty creepy scene towards the middle with that monster in a dining room.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2010, 02:16:55 PM »
The Thing is clearly the best movie ever.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2010, 02:20:59 PM »
No amount of gore or blood can make up for weak story-telling.

This is pretty much where I'm coming from, which is why I think The Shining was such a triumph. Kubrick is already masterful at disturbing the hell out of you just by holding the camera perfectly still. The hallways, the slightly ajar hotel room door, the absolute emptiness of the Overlook Hotel - it chills you to the bone.

Real horror, in my mind, strikes at our most primitive terrors. And as cavemen, huddled together in some hole in a hill while the night was spread out all around us, the growls of unseen animals in the dark echoing in our heads, the unknown is always going to be what scares us most. A film-maker who can tap into that can scare flawlessly.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2010, 02:40:48 PM »
I can't stomach the sight of too much blood, so I tend to avoid shows or movies that rely on gore. The drama and suspense is much more rewarding anyway. I actually don't normally check into horror movies, although the good ol' fashioned black and white horror movies would probably be worth my time.

And yet despite my distaste for horror movies, I am currently watching "When They Cry". I've only seen the first two arcs, but I'm quite enjoying it. I guess a good way for a horror movie to win me over is to hand out a few discretion shots, and have an element of mystery to it.

As for what kind of thing scares me most? I might have to say betrayal. This is an element not exclusive to horror movies, it was even a central part of "The Lion King". What happens when someone you trust turns out to be the villain? On the other hand, what happens to you when you can't trust anybody, for fear that they may be the culprit? This element was used excellently in Agatha Christe's "And Then There Were None", and definitely keeps me on my toes regardless of what I'm watching.

That, and the weeping angels.

Bloom Nobly~

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2010, 05:45:28 PM »
The Ring, original japanese version, is a show that you must watch in silence, and anticipation, it is a new kind of horror when it is new, and fairly foreign to the American public that simply does not understand ghosts and demons stopped being scary when they are all evil.

You see, the Ring does not pride its demons and ghosts with some evil agenda, it has none. It is the simplicity of it all, without the sophisticated glossy of American horror ala Hollywood that makes the film so stand out, it is a silent enjoyment for some, but more fearsomely how lonesome the feel of the film feels like, intending to focus on the happenings of one's life, on that one moment which interconnects with every situation: be it making a phone call, or just eating a meal... everything just seems... uninitiated. You will note the films of hollywood in this genre has always the silent and then BANG treatment, but no, not for The Ring. The film is always silent, the bang is not there, it is just this impending sense of doom that keeps your eyes glued and your senses on end.

The Ring truly sets out to do what many american horrors failed to do, to tone down to the sheer bone of horrors and make it truly what it is. You want something more?

Try watching films from Thailand. Thai Horror is something of a cult genre of its own.
Notable shows I recommend are

Nang Nak  - a cheating husband befriends a woman and falls in love with her, only to find out she is a dead spirit of a pregnant woman intending to give birth to a ghost child. (I think, I may confuse this with another movie)

Devil 1 and 2 - terribly gruesome retelling of 2 different sets of people who offended an occultist high school teacher, who seduced men to bend to her will and eventually proceeded to murder.

Shutter - an epic remade in Hollywood, tells the story of a photographer who committed an ugly past to a woeful girl, a chanced accident one night brought the curtains up, for revenge...

Coming Soon - haunting and disturbing, it is a film you go to the cinema to see, only to be shocked and traumatized upon leaving... the film is about the film YOU are watching, and the curse... is that the woman in the screen, choking in her last breath as she dies from a stunt that went horribly wrong... curses all who watched her final moments in glee. Beware the white eyes which stare at you from beyond the curtain fall...

Meat Grinder - ,A woman that owns a small noddle shop, has been tired of her life for a while. She is not quite sane as she is hearing mysterious voices frequently that order her to do certain terrible things.

http://www.asian-horror-movies.com/

among a few.
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2010, 12:17:04 AM »
Favorite horror movie is The Thing btw.
The Thing is clearly the best movie ever.
Heck yeah. Cram a bunch of people in a claustrophobic environment, add a monster that assimilates anything organic and disguises itself as the target, and watch everyone squirm, including the audience.
I personally haven't seen any horror movies, really. I mostly prefer scaring myself with some of the well-written creepypasta. :V
There's one really good one where a guy who frequently stays at a hotel and peeks in a the large keyhole to a very old, now unused room in the hotel. That one took me a bit of time to recover from.

I don't mean to be "that guy", but the ENDING in particular of The Shining was definitely better in the novel. Mind you, this is 10 year old knowledge, but
Spoiler:
the boiler room blows up and the entire Overlook hotel goes with it as it is swept up into this black hole. Jack dies in the explosion. A bit better than a bad case of frostbite, no?

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2010, 12:23:58 AM »
The Thing is a classic.  I am going to weep at how inadequate the remake is going to be :(

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Tengukami

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2010, 01:15:04 AM »
I don't mean to be "that guy", but the ENDING in particular of The Shining was definitely better in the novel. Mind you, this is 10 year old knowledge, but
Spoiler:
the boiler room blows up and the entire Overlook hotel goes with it as it is swept up into this black hole. Jack dies in the explosion. A bit better than a bad case of frostbite, no?

I'm really glad they didn't go with that for the movie. I much prefer Jack Torrence getting lost in the hedgemaze, eventually freezing to death. This was his descent into the inner machinations of his own madness, becoming trapped as he pursued the person he resents most of all - his son - because the boy is a living reminder of his own weakness. In the end, Jack can't destroy his own self-loathing, becomes trapped by it, and perishes.

The novel ending, on the other hand, sounds like "and then a giant asteroid slammed into them and they died, the end".

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2010, 02:01:52 AM »
The Thing is a classic.  I am going to weep at how inadequate the remake is going to be :(

there was a time when those were scary.

Alien (the 1st one) was one of those too.
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Tengukami

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2010, 02:13:02 AM »
The Thing is pretty brilliant. I'll never forget the CPR scene. Or good ol' Spider-Head.

Slaves

• uHHH,
  • uHHHHHHHHHH,,,
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2010, 05:13:11 AM »
nononononononononono

i cannot take them at all. i have enough trouble falling asleep without them. ;_______;

i'd kill to get rid of the horror obsession that October brings. let me skip ahead to a month i don't hate, please.

Chainsaw Guitar

« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2010, 09:31:46 AM »
The climax of The Thing was so badass I think even the biggest pussies could forget that the final dog creature was supposed to be terrifying.

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2010, 03:04:10 PM »
nononononononononono

i cannot take them at all. i have enough trouble falling asleep without them. ;_______;

i'd kill to get rid of the horror obsession that October brings. let me skip ahead to a month i don't hate, please.
but every new October brings shitty NOT scary stuff.
I mean, we are not back in 1990s anymore.

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2010, 03:59:54 PM »
i'd kill to get rid of the horror obsession that October brings.

Sounds like a good idea for a horror movie. Someone doesn't like Halloween so decides to kill people in order to stop the freaky activities once and for all. :yukkuri:

I actually am not really a fan of October's horror theme, but its still fun to tag along for some of it at least. I tend to prefer party horror like witches and skeletons than real horror like chainsaws and zombies. I remember back when forty percent of all trick-or-treaters dressed up as the Grim Reaper. Is that still the case, I wonder... or have zombies and/or vampires displaced them by now?

Bloom Nobly~

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
Nazi zombies on ice
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2010, 04:40:56 PM »
Otherwise known as "Dead Snow". It's a Norwegian horror film about a group of med students that go up to a cabin in the mountains for Easter break and find some Nazi zombies still live in the area. Yes it is awesome and you should all watch it.

Was curious to see if anyone else had stumbled upon this movie. Me and my cousin had rented it expecting it to be a really cheap and cheesey zombie movie (because we love them) and were very pleasantly surprised at how epic it turned out to be.

I mean really, how can you go wrong with Nazi zombies?

(EDIT: In hindsight, probably should have posted this in the general horror thread unless people feel this is epic enough for its own topic. Oops. Way to pay attention me.)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 04:44:42 PM by YellowYoshi »

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2010, 04:43:08 PM »
In hindsight I probably should have posted this here instead of making a separate topic, but it's so epic maybe it deserves it's own topic. Oh well.

Check out some Nazi zombie action.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2010, 12:34:41 PM »
Thinking about it, I think [rec] was the last new horror movie I actually enjoyed, not counting Drag Me To Hell.

I wasn't terribly fond of Paranormal Activity though, and apparently I'm in some terrible minority that hates movies  ::)

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2010, 03:08:47 PM »
Paranormal Activity is kinda in a special category of its own, if one can even call it a movie instead of straight edited video.
it is scary nontheless.

Drag Me to Hell is just... terrible. I dunno how it got people saying it is scary, it is childish, and pathetic. it might as well be a joke, because I started laughing when the
Spoiler:
goat talked, and the guy just dangling there doing some flying dance while hahahahaha laughing was all horrid.
It might as well be some movie from the 1970s, which is acceptable then but today's horror fans expect a good scare, this one is a pathetic sigh. Romero should stick to zombies.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2010, 03:25:43 PM »

Drag Me to Hell is just... terrible. I dunno how it got people saying it is scary, it is childish, and pathetic. it might as well be a joke, because I started laughing when the
Spoiler:
goat talked, and the guy just dangling there doing some flying dance while hahahahaha laughing was all horrid.
It might as well be some movie from the 1970s, which is acceptable then but today's horror fans expect a good scare, this one is a pathetic sigh. Romero should stick to zombies.
Uh, Drag Me To Hell was by Sam Raimi, not Romero, and it's more like a spiritual successor to Evil Dead/Army of Darkness.  Not exactly, but continuing the schlocky horror theme.  I loved it.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 04:16:05 PM by Hanna-Justina Ruroseille »

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2010, 02:26:18 PM »
Uh, Drag Me To Hell was by Sam Raimi, not Romero, and it's more like a spiritual successor to Evil Dead/Army of Darkness.  Not exactly, but continuing the schlocky horror theme.  I loved it.

Oh right, if I recall that is the guy who destroyed Spiderman in the trilogy yes?
Well, he should stop making movies outright then. I dunno if it tried to be the spiritual successor, but ugh, Evil Dead had its moments of brilliance, so did AOD, but NOT this one. This one just plain sucked.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2010, 02:57:21 PM »
Meh, Sony destroyed Spiderman more than Raimi.  3 was abysmal because the studio kept niggling about every little thing.  I like Raimi though, but I wasn't fond of the Spiderman movies(mostly because I hate Spiderman)

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2010, 03:27:24 PM »
Well, in my opinion it takes two to tango.

Raimi obviously signed on something he shouldn't have in the first place.

Maid Arisu

« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2010, 02:49:10 AM »
NO.  :V

I hate 'scary movies'. Oh word, if I saw one, I'd have a heart attack <___>

...BUT, Paranormal Activity was funny, not scary (what was the guy even thinkin'?!).

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2010, 04:02:32 PM »
you know what is scary
living in my sub par apartment block.

at night, coming back from work at 2 am is dead quiet, no lights, the long hallways as a flickering bulb just fizzles out and on again... strangely hollow footsteps which echo through and just when you open the mailbox, the depressing darkness seems to disquiet the night with a long horrid creak... and then... slowly, you reach your fingers into the encroaching darkness... and feel about its rusted surface of bumps and cold metal.... somehow, you feel it, as though a hand is just waiting for you to reach in... catching you off guard.

Then, you found the mail, quickly, panicked in breath now you close the door shut. You try rushing to your door, and somehow... your apartment feels so far away even though you are so near, elsewhere behind you and your panicked breathing a song blares from one of the rooms along the halls, someone is there! Your relief is short lived as a bloodcurdling scream echoes across the lonesome hallway, from the darkness... a face approaches, quickening as it chases you down!

OMG A RABID FANGIRL.

and then you wake up, you cry... not out of fear, but the fact you will never bee a bishonen living in a crummy apartment. 

Aterisk

• アタリスク・アイダロ
  • 男は僕の心を素早く盗みます。
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2010, 04:46:38 PM »
The above post made me paranoid to leave school and walk home until the end... good job >___>

Alice★f

• That uncanny smile...
  • Kuroya Shinobu strikes again
    • TsundereWorks' Mo? Blog
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2010, 01:38:52 AM »
I have a particular taste in horror.

I also know what I am looking for, but before I talk about that:
The scariest scary movies I've ever seen would include The Shining, The Changeling and The Ring. Those are billed as horror, though.
Excellent. The Shining is actually one of my favorite movies of all time. I absolutely love every minute of it, and I've seen it so many times.

As for me, I tend to lean towards movies that include psychological horror, involving a mental illness of some sort, and then the victim is turned into a psychopath who hacks everyone's limbs with a giant axe...

...or just kills them silently for their dinner and impersonates their identity after.

You'll never know that the victims were ever killed!
I think you know what I'm leaning towards to, but I also enjoy straight up horror with lots of gore. It is simply a contest to see how much you can bear to look at:

Saw, Hostel, Texas Chainsaw Massacre (That movie was holy shit crazy...), Turistas (A movie about organ trafficking, by the way.), Dawn of the Dead (zombies, apocalypse, you know...)

(I might finish the Saw series on Halloween. I still got the last two to watch.)

Also, when I used to have On-Demand at home, there were these very good horror movies. The Koreans know how to make a good horror movie, yo

-----> The Red Shoes, which I thought was VERY good.

Also, Ju-On and a few others... I remember there was this Thai movie....
=====================
I absolutely hate any type of movie having to do with mutant transformation / magic (Exception of HP, but it's not horror) / and anything that's not realistic. I believe that the horror element lies in happenings that can happen to anyone today.

That said, I kinda need recommendations. Something's telling me that I'm going to have a lot of time to kill soon.

DeviantArtPixivTsundere WorksYoutubeNEW! Liz Triangle's S4U
日本語勉強中 | Touhou Hard Modo Gamer

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2010, 02:05:01 AM »
I personally think The Shining was a bit overrated.

The claustrophobia (even though it is a large house) play out was very inspiring in terms of the theme of the movie, but it was a bit too long, and quite frankly, it was...ok, at best.

The Descent 1 and 2 is quite scary though in terms of newer movies.

The above post made me paranoid to leave school and walk home until the end... good job >___>

come live with me, I will have you know true fear when you hear the chains at night dragged along the floor, and very slowly the heavy breathing of man, beside your bed.

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2010, 02:12:49 PM »
Oh while we are on scary movies:

allow me to introduce you to the scariest acid trip

there should be a tag for not mind safe.
[nsfw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOBCMoDGGZU&feature=player_embedded[/nsfw]
yes

Aterisk

• アタリスク・アイダロ
  • 男は僕の心を素早く盗みます。
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2010, 04:32:01 AM »
come live with me, I will have you know true fear when you hear the chains at night dragged along the floor, and very slowly the heavy breathing of man, beside your bed.

I experienced those when they put me in the group home XD

Besides the man would probably be you cus your a PEDO IN DISGUISE (KIDDING ^__^)

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2010, 02:53:07 PM »
I experienced those when they put me in the group home XD

Besides the man would probably be you cus your a PEDO IN DISGUISE (KIDDING ^__^)
you do realize said chains come from the hallway of my bedroom right?
it goes ka-chink ka-chink slowly... and you can clearly hear it and everytime there is this strange smell that comes when the figure of terror passes by my room.

also, fucking large ass rats.