Author Topic: Your Worst Screwups in Video Gaming  (Read 27808 times)

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
Re: Your Worst Screwups in Video Gaming
« Reply #90 on: November 03, 2009, 07:58:01 PM »
I tend to screw up like that too though. A lot of chapters end up being restarted several times due to my having units dying when I REALLY don't want them to x.x And let's not even go into Micaiah on Radiant Dawn <_<;

ebarrett

« Reply #91 on: November 03, 2009, 08:23:41 PM »
ADOM. Playing some elf mage, decent chance of victory. Cast spell, wanted to choose healing, chose lightining. Target self, game prompts me to confirm if I'm really THAT stupid. [Y]es, lightning bolt bounces on the floor and on the ceiling a bunch of times and I get zapped repeatedly. End result: one fried, dead elf.

ADOM again. Dwarven archer (godly combo by the way), going for an ultra ending. DAYS if not WEEKS of grinding and mining and smithing had turned him into an invulnerable machinegunner. All the ultra ending preparations taken care of, I make my way to the bottom of the Dungeon and prepare to enter the gate....
Spoiler:
and forget to equip one of the items of the Chaos Trinity.

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #92 on: November 03, 2009, 08:48:24 PM »
Dying for the first time all game on the final form of Dr. Wily in Mega Man 9 on Superhero mode cuz my roommate shouted something and scared the crap out of me XD
Not a screwup, but...
Megaman ⑨??

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #93 on: July 03, 2010, 08:44:16 PM »
Oh, where do I start?  :]

I've got countless tales to tell.....If I could remember 'em all.

Let's see.....there was this one time I was playing Aria of Sorrow, ran smack into the Manticore Boss.
OHKO.
My reaction: "FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-"

And then there was that time on Darius R........Why the hell did i dodge into the walls?!

And then there was that one time on Harmony of Dissonance.........Backdashing into a Living Armor.......Wasn't a bright idea.
Another OHKO.

Man....there's more, but I'd have to remember 'em.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

Fetch()tirade

• serial time-waster
« Reply #94 on: July 03, 2010, 08:53:27 PM »
Elder Scrolls: Morrowind.

Charging into what appeared to be another bandit cave when it was actually a Sixth House base. I was around level 5 or so.
Same problem when I first discovered the old Dunmer fortresses, especially the one next to Balmora.

« Reply #95 on: July 04, 2010, 12:20:54 AM »
Any time in Morrowind when I ran into what appeared to be a normal cave, got molested by one of those things that reduces your stats to zero and makes you unable to move because you're carrying something that weighs more than an ounce.

After not having saved for ages.
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

KOA

• 決意するがよい
    • HP
« Reply #96 on: July 04, 2010, 01:56:05 AM »
I screw up a lot of my own runs in a lot of shmups.
I have a tendency to screw up other people's shmup runs too.

YouTube - Website - Blog - Ask me anything
You can do anything you set your mind to, but only if there's slowdown.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #97 on: July 04, 2010, 02:33:31 AM »
So, Lego Harry Potter came out recently. Kids game, Easy Modo, yadda yadda. I don't wanna hear it, I play what I like. Anyways, I came across a nasty glitch in Hogwarts Castle, there's this room where you can get a character token to unlock Draco Malfoy (it has swinging pendulums and a statue of a blue pixie holding a chest). I blast some of the Lego stuff for studs, jump on over to the token, grab it, and try to leave...Somehow the door stops being a door and decides to be a solid wall. I can't get out, even though there's a room beneath me, falling down kills me. So I quit the game using the guide button, resume, wind up in a different section of Hogwarts somehow. I go back to that room to make sure I still have that token, and to check to make sure the debris from the stuff I broke disappeared (this game has a physics engine now). It's still there, I try to move the debris away but the door still wouldn't work. So, I quit the game normally (not through the guide menu), resume, and surprise surprise, I'm stuck in that room again! So I have to restart my game now, and to make sure I don't make this mistake again, I'm gonna buy a 360-compatible USB and copy my save file to it, so in case that room DOES glitch up again I can have something to fall back on. My fault for not paying attention to common sense, Traveler's Tales' fault for not doing enough to squash all the bugs in this game.

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #98 on: July 04, 2010, 02:53:33 AM »
Playing Jidaigeki (River City Ransom 2) and I actually let Tex get a pole even though I KNOW he's fucking beast with that weapon type. Apparently I figured I could Dragon Knee him and he'd drop it. I was horribly mistaken.

Me and my buddy got utterly destroyed in that fight.
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

Vanishing Sock Puppet

• Phantasmic Scribbler
  • brb exploding in a black hole
    • The Sock Drawer
« Reply #99 on: July 04, 2010, 01:31:43 PM »
I remember this one time when I was playing Mountain of Faith. I normally reset the game when I die in a shmup, but I didn't do that for this run and made it to stage 5 for the first time as a result. I had about 3 more lives when I realized I hadn't reset the game on each death at all. So, a few seconds later, I was hit by a bullet, died, and before I knew what I was doing, reset the game.

Cue on head desk.

« Reply #100 on: July 05, 2010, 03:12:08 AM »
Playing as a Robotics in Global Agenda is pretty fun and all, but there are a few things that irk me.  I was about to kill a Recon straggler that slipped past my team and right when I thought he was about to die, I accidentally went too close to him and my rocket turret hit me instead, instantly killing myself.  I should also mention that aforementioned Recon managed to kill 6 other teammates after that, 2 of which included Medics.  Oh yeah, he raped our turrets and stations too.  I never felt so noobish in a game before.  (Unless you count the time where I decided to level a building in BC2 while I was still inside it)

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
« Reply #101 on: July 05, 2010, 04:29:27 AM »
Final Fantasy IX. I saved right before the "You're Not Alone" segment (you know what I'm talking about). And since I had neglected to ever level or gear Steiner and Quina I was stuck at that spot of the game with no conceivable way to pass it because Steiner and Quina kept dying 1 turn before Zidane would normally show up.

FML man. You know how far into the game that is?

Krimmydoodle

• We must apply more SCIENCE!
« Reply #102 on: July 05, 2010, 06:38:45 AM »
That reminds me of the one screwup that's managed to stick with me through my gaming career and affect how I play.  I was playing through Secret of Evermore, and got to the second world that emulates ancient Rome or something to that effect.  Shortly into it, you get thrown into the city's colosseum for a fight to the death.  Just before the fight, you get an opportunity to save, but you're locked in a prison until the fight, so no chance of grinding, and you're stuck at the level you have.  I was still using the very first weapon at the time and hadn't put experience into any other weapons, and this is conveniently when the first weapon becomes completely useless.  With my decent weapons stuck at their minimum level, I had nothing to properly fight with, and was doomed to never beat this boss.  Cue a bit of rage and a restart of the game.

Ever since then, I'm pretty obsessive about save files and will usually save a new file if anything important occurs, so if I get locked in some part of the game in an unwinnable situation, I can at least go back to that save an hour ago rather than restarting the game completely.  The one exception to this was the time I played Golden Sun, which was on a friend's copy of the game.  Two of the slots were taken and he let me use the third, so I was unable to do any sort of obsessive multiple saving.  Naturally, I went and fucked up again here by saving after the last boss, locking me in the epilogue and unable to walk around finding the rest of the djinni for obsessive 100% completion, though at this point I just returned the game and that was that.
Whether you're on Easy or you're a Lunatic, be damn proud of your accomplishments.  Don't let anyone convince you otherwise, for it's when you lose faith in your own achievements that those victories become defeats.

« Reply #103 on: July 05, 2010, 06:48:13 AM »
Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure some of you here have deleted an irreplaceable save at one time or another.  If that isn't a screwup, then I don't know what is.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #104 on: July 05, 2010, 11:43:15 AM »
Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure some of you here have deleted an irreplaceable save at one time or another.  If that isn't a screwup, then I don't know what is.
I've lost save data without it even being an accident.
My sister owned the house's gamecube and its memory card, although I used it far more.  When it came time for me to move out I got my own memory card.
Thanks to game companies that decide people can't copy over data, I lost my F-Zero GX save data, which anyone who's played it will know induces hours worth of rage in trying to get anywhere - and I had story mode clear and pretty much all the hards and about half the Very Hards done.  And even a couple Master cup clears.  FFF.
Also in that same instance I ended up losing my FE9 data.  Which wouldn't have mattered much, but I had the Trial Maps and Character Images unlocked from hooking it up to FE7/8.  And while that could also be done again fairly easily, that would be matter of having a GC/GBA link cable, which no human on the planet possesses.  At least not around here.

Azure Lazuline

• Looooove!!
  • PM me for free huggles and love!
    • Entanma Project - indie game development
« Reply #105 on: July 05, 2010, 07:01:09 PM »
I was attempting a low-items run of Super Metroid (beating the game with as few powerups as possible), and after half a week of work, I finally made it to the final boss. I'm pretty confident against this boss, so I thought it would be smooth from then on. But I forgot that you're forced to take a hit from its super-attack, which does 300 damage... I only had 299 max health, and it was a no-backtracking area.

AMZYoshio

• Transcend the edge of Dissillusion
  • WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN
« Reply #106 on: September 08, 2010, 11:08:21 PM »
Turning on Jaws for my NES. (For real.)

But in reality, probably Final Fantasy 4, on the last boss. I went to throw my Cleaver at Zeromus because I forgot about it, and Edge + Cecil were the only people left alive. I had figured the boss was already almost dead, he'd been meteo spamming me for a bit. So I go through the menu and hit it real fast (I had the setting to Active and battle speed pretty high), and I selected the thing under it instead. A terrible sword that did like 1k damage.

I'm never a packrat again in that game.

Fujiwara no Tobi

• Immortal Idiot
  • BURN, BABY, BURN!!!!!
« Reply #107 on: September 11, 2010, 10:29:33 AM »
One of my worrst screw ups...
Playing  Brawl Subspace Emissary with ONE HAND on  Hard Mode..(GameCube Cotroller) i beat it somehow, but I got over 300 Game Overs. :X
Since I had a broken hand I wanted a challenge. 
Never again =X
Love or hate? Blaze it out now!

An Odd Sea Slug

• Not here, but not really there.
  • Only the best.
    • You can save the world by clicking this link!
« Reply #108 on: September 11, 2010, 07:48:07 PM »
I TK'd three teammates with a minigun in Dystopia the other night. Then again, why they thought crowding into that tiny room which already three heavies (iirc) was a -good- idea, I'll never know.

Geoodees

• The Swedish Fish
« Reply #109 on: September 11, 2010, 09:04:26 PM »
Nothing from a game really, but still screw ups.

One time I sold a Playstation 2 because I had two of them. Nothing special about that. But I noticed my mistake a few months later when I wanted to check out Kingdom Hearts II and it wasn't in the case. After checking around, I realised that it must have been in the console I sold and I made some family happy with a free game.

I was like; *derp*. :V

And this one time when I played Gears of War online with my friends and I broke my microphone by accident, don't ask how. But this was just humorous, because when I explained to my pals with messages they started to joke about it, e.g. they said I had eaten the mic. It was funny until I had to spend money on a new mic.

Stitchpunk

• A Yoshi
  • Boom, ⑨-shot!
« Reply #110 on: September 12, 2010, 08:08:50 PM »
I bought and played Superman 64.

...and somehow enjoyed it. (for the first 30 minutes)

Then about a week later I woke up in the middle of the night and began to cry.

It took months of therapy to restore what I once was.

Damn you Superman!.....sixty four.
Run n Jump