Author Topic: Keine Quest (Part 4): Broken History  (Read 68603 times)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Re: Keine Quest (Part 4): Broken History
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2010, 02:09:48 AM »
>"The suspicion I've heard is that she's being used to power all the lights and such."

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2010, 02:12:29 AM »
>"The suspicion I've heard is that she's being used to power all the lights and such."

>"She's... what?" Sanae's expression suddenly becomes stern. "I don't think I like what you're implying."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2010, 02:37:58 AM »
>"I don't like it either. But it begs the question of where the power comes from without creating any smoke or the like."

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2010, 02:47:09 AM »
>"I don't like it either. But it begs the question of where the power comes from without creating any smoke or the like."

>Sanae's expression remains stern and her tone firm and neutral. "I don't understand the technicalities of how our power grid operates. And no more do you. If you have questions about it, you can raise them with the kappa."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2010, 02:57:49 AM »
>"The kappa wouldn't necessarily know, either. They wouldn't have had a role in it if Utsuho were involved. But...you're right. I really am jumping to conclusions, I think. Perhaps we should ask Kanako about it? It is terribly concerning that Utsuho didn't go home, and her family misses her terribly."

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2010, 03:05:33 AM »
>"The kappa wouldn't necessarily know, either. They wouldn't have had a role in it if Utsuho were involved. But...you're right. I really am jumping to conclusions, I think. Perhaps we should ask Kanako about it? It is terribly concerning that Utsuho didn't go home, and her family misses her terribly."

>"You speak of her as though she were some lost and harmless child. In case you've forgotten, she was a creature of hell, who rose to burn the world. Why are you be so concerned what happened to her? Kanako was satisfied that it was safe again. And so am I."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2010, 03:10:56 AM »
>"Because you're wrong. She wasn't just some creature. She was a woman who lost herself in the power she was given, and made a mistake. And now she's missing, and the ones who love her suffer for it. If her power is safely sealed away and there's nothing to worry about, do you begrudge her and her family the simple desire to be together?"

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2010, 03:33:13 AM »
>"Because you're wrong. She wasn't just some creature. She was a woman who lost herself in the power she was given, and made a mistake. And now she's missing, and the ones who love her suffer for it. If her power is safely sealed away and there's nothing to worry about, do you begrudge her and her family the simple desire to be together?"

>"Well, no, of course I- But how would you know this? And are you suggesting that Kanako would begrudge such a thing? If you truly are, then the Kanako of your world must be a very different person. Mine is a kind and just god. It is the safety and well-being of her worshipers that drives all that she does. Please don't besmirch her name by saying otherwise."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2010, 03:40:21 AM »
>"I didn't say Kanako. I said you. As for how I know? I visited her family yesterday. They bear a great deal of anger toward you for her disappearance. One of them, Orin, claims she came up here to ask, and was brusquely turned away."

« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2010, 03:43:52 AM »
>"I didn't say Kanako. I said you. As for how I know? I visited her family yesterday. They bear a great deal of anger toward you for her disappearance. One of them, Orin, claims she came up here to ask, and was brusquely turned away."

>Sanae shakes her head, looking vaguely troubled. "The name means nothing to me, but I've turned no one away...."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2010, 03:58:24 AM »
>"Do you think Kanako might have?"

« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2010, 04:08:23 AM »
>"Do you think Kanako might have?"

>"Kanako does speak with supplicants. I'm certainly not privy to the details of any conversation she might have had, however. There is a solemn confidence between a god and those who would seek their counsel."

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2010, 04:21:39 AM »
> "Well, do you remember a cat youkai, a Kasha coming here at all some time after Utsuho showed up?"
> "I am sorry for having been rude, but from what I have heard, Kanako is holding Utsuho prisoner, and Utsuho's family miss her. Despite being youkai, families are families, and either they are telling a large lie, or they are being honest."
> "May I speak with Kanako herself about this, to hear her side of the story?"

« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2010, 04:36:22 AM »
> "Well, do you remember a cat youkai, a Kasha coming here at all some time after Utsuho showed up?"
> "I am sorry for having been rude, but from what I have heard, Kanako is holding Utsuho prisoner, and Utsuho's family miss her. Despite being youkai, families are families, and either they are telling a large lie, or they are being honest."
> "May I speak with Kanako herself about this, to hear her side of the story?"

>"I'm afraid not, but I do spend a day or two most weeks at the shrine in the human village."
>Sanae shakes her head. "If the hell raven - Utsuho, you say she was called? - is as you describe, I cannot imagine this is possible."
>Sanae pauses and stares at you intensely for a few moments. "It it not my place to turn people away from her based on personal feelings."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2010, 04:52:47 AM »
>Nod.
>"Thank you. I didn't mean to imply that you did such a thing, only that I be allowed to speak with her."

« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2010, 04:56:55 AM »
>Nod.
>"Thank you. I didn't mean to imply that you did such a thing, only that I be allowed to speak with her."

>"Very well," Sanae says, looking somewhat unconvinced. "Did you wish to speak with her now?"

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2010, 04:58:08 AM »
> "If that is alright."
> "Once again, I am sorry if I sounded rude to you."

« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2010, 05:13:37 AM »
> "If that is alright."
> "Once again, I am sorry if I sounded rude to you."

>Sanae looks at you again, and after a moment sighs. "I'll try to see it as nothing more, on your part, than genuine concern for the welfare of another. Although I admit I have a hard time imaging the hell raven as someone deserving of it. Still, your counterpart here did more than enough to warrant my good faith, so I'll try to give you the benefit of the doubt. Let's just chalk this up to a misunderstanding and move on."
>"And yes, I can speak with Kanako now and see if she's available to speak with you."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2010, 05:33:48 AM »
>Nod again.
>"Thank you. I am happy you're willing to have that much faith in me."

« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2010, 05:44:19 AM »
>Nod again.
>"Thank you. I am happy you're willing to have that much faith in me."

>"Your counterpart was one of the most selfless and vigilant protectors I have known. I feel I owe you understanding out of respect for her, at the very least."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2010, 05:54:43 AM »
>"Now you've made me afraid you got the worse end of the deal."

« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2010, 05:58:47 AM »
>"Now you've made me afraid you got the worse end of the deal."

>Sanae smiles. "Oh, don't let that trouble you. You may very well have done the same, in her circumstances. You were simply fortunate to have never been forced to. In any event, shall we head back?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2010, 06:04:43 AM »
>"Of course."
>Head back.
>"What did happen, anyways? The other me kept a diary, but Ive yet to find the key to it."

« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2010, 06:22:08 AM »
>"Of course."
>Head back.
>"What did happen, anyways? The other me kept a diary, but Ive yet to find the key to it."

>You nod, and the two of you head back towards the shrine.
>"I... don't know many details," Sanae says. "Your counterpart didn't like to talk about it. Most of what I heard came from the other villagers. But in essence... a great many of these villagers own her their lives. During the Year of Winter, humans were not the only creatures suffering from starvation. Many youkai, as well, were desperate for food. And when their other food supplies dwindled... they turned towards the village. I don't know how many of them there were, but the villagers speak of attack after attack by dozens of starving youkai. A normal human can't defend themselves against that. If there had been no one to drive them back, the entire village might have eventually fallen. But she was there; she was always there. She drove herself to the point of exhaustion to defend them because there was no one else who could. She nearly starved herself so that others could eat her share. She did more than could possibly be asked of someone, and refused to stop. I... don't think she ever quite forgave herself for not saving everyone."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2010, 06:32:40 AM »
>"Wow...I daresay you did get the worse end of this deal. I don't know if I could have done all that..."

« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2010, 06:42:55 AM »
>"Wow...I daresay you did get the worse end of this deal. I don't know if I could have done all that..."

>Sanae gives you a gentle smile. "I doubt that she would have thought so, either, until circumstance asked it of her. One doesn't do those sorts of things because one wants to, but because one feels that they must. You obviously care about the well-being of others, or we wouldn't even be having this conversation. ...perhaps even others not worthy of that concern," she adds, quietly.
>You reach the main gate of the shrine. You can see Mokou leaning up against a column. She nods in your direction when she spots you. Ran seems to be on the other side of the grounds, speaking with a kappa.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2010, 06:45:25 AM »
>"Perhaps, I suppose I wouldn't normally be looking to give you or Kanako a hard time about these things."
>To Mokou: "Looking into that issue for Orin. Shouldn't be too long, I hope."

« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2010, 06:52:30 AM »
>"Perhaps, I suppose I wouldn't normally be looking to give you or Kanako a hard time about these things."
>To Mokou: "Looking into that issue for Orin. Shouldn't be too long, I hope."

>"I'll trust to your good intentions," Sanae says. "Hopefully, Kanako will be able to allay your concerns."
>"Got it," Mokou replies, and goes back to contemplating the air.

>Sanae pauses as you reach the entrance of the main shrine building. "Wait here. I'll only be a moment," she says, before disappearing inside.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2010, 06:55:16 AM »
>Wait.
>Look around idly.

« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2010, 07:08:37 AM »
>Wait.
>Look around idly.

>You wait for Sanae to return, while watching people come and go, paying their respects. A couple people nod and smile in your direction; you do your best to unselfconsciously reciprocate. Fortunately, no one attempts to strike up a conversation with you.
>After a few moments, Sanae returns. "Kanako will speak with you. Follow me, please." She gestures towards the shrine interior.