Author Topic: Dolphin Rider Koishi - The End  (Read 306440 times)

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
Re: Dolphin Rider Koishi - Arc 7 (In progress - updates weekly!)
« Reply #570 on: May 19, 2013, 02:46:01 PM »
The spew of expletives flowing from Nitori’s mouth was actually quite impressive.

Koishi didn’t know what any of them meant, of course. The kappa was using one of those archaic youkai tongues so as not to offend her companions. But swearing was almost a universal language, and Nitori’s flushed face and angry grunts were enough to Koishi to get a vague grasp of the content.

“Of all the fucking times,” the kappa blurted, slipping back into a human language. She smacked a hand into her desk. “Why’d she have to show up now?

Her outburst continued unabated for another thirty seconds, none of the Sirens finding the nerve to interrupt her. Sango stepped in from the corridor, placing a glass of water on the table.

“Thank you, Sango.” Nitori snatched up the glass immediately, downing its contents in one swig. The blush faded from her face as she did, and by the time she’d laid the empty glass down again her fervor had mostly faded.

“Finished?” Sakuya said.

“Just about.” Nitori wiped a layer of sweat from her brow and took a deep breath to regain the last of her composure. “Sorry for the tantrum. It’s not every day one of the most powerful youkai in history shows up to ruin all of your work.”

“You said her name was Ran Yakumo, right?” Komachi asked. “So does that make her Yukari’s daughter or something?”

Nitori shook her head. “Ran wasn’t Yukari’s daughter. She was an apprentice, the only one Yukari ever took on. She was given the Yakumo name as a badge of honour.”

“So she’s strong, then?” Youmu said.

“Oh, undoubtedly. Maybe not quite at her prime, though. You can’t do much training if you’ve spent the last few millennia in hiding.”

Koishi still struggled to grasp the time frames that youkai functioned in. She’d be lucky to live for a century, but even Nitori was thousands of years older than that. To her credit, the kappa didn’t look a day of her actual age.

“OK, you lost me.” Mokou raised her hand to ask a question, the classroom environment making its mark on her. “If she’s so incredibly strong, why is she being so secretive? Are the Claw out to get her?”

Again Nitori shook her head. “Ran barely cares for either side anymore. We should be thankful she was at least courteous enough to warn us, but now she’s just waltzing off to kill Futatsuiwa in broad daylight.” The kappa gripped her temples. “I swear, if I ever hunt her down, I’m going to pluck every hair off of those goddamn tails as punishment.”

Futatsuiwa. That name again. Nitori recognised it, just like Ran had promised. Maybe there were answers to be found here after all.

“Kawashiro-sensei.” She stood up, staring straight into the kappa’s eyes. “Who is Mamizou Futatsuiwa?”

“She’s Ran’s prey, of course,” Nitori answered. “The two of them have been playing cat and mouse across the planet for centuries, now. Normally they’re not quite this upfront about it, but I guess Ran’s bored of the game now and wants to skip the pleasantries.”

“But why?” Mokou asked. “What did this Mamizou girl do that was enough to get one of the deadliest youkai on the planet on her tail?”

Nitori sighed. She picked up the glass, motioning towards Sango with it. The dolphin quickly picked it up and darted out for a refill.

“It all started back in the war,” the kappa started. “At that time there were distinct kingdoms for various youkai races. Ran was the ruler of the foxes, and Mamizou ruled the tanuki. They were close comrades for the first phase of the war, when it had simply been a matter of humans fighting youkai.

“But when the Ravager got involved, their relationship became a lot dicier. The creature made an offer to Mamizou, you see - it would spare her kingdom if she made a surprise attack on the foxes. If she refused, the Claw would burn her country to the ground.”

“Sounds like a fun choice to make,” Sakuya said. “I assume Mamizou opted for saving her own skin?”

Nitori nodded. “They attacked at night, when most of the recruits were sleeping. Ran herself barely escaped with her life...but most of her followers weren’t as lucky.”

An image flashed into Koishi’s mind. A battlefield strewn with corpses, former friends fighting to the death. A general watching in horror as her forces were ripped to shreds in front of her. A nation burning at the torch of its supposed ally.

She felt sick at the thought of it.

“Of course, the Claw ended up losing the war in the end,” Nitori continued. “Mamizou was placed on trial as a war criminal, and a council of all the great youkai leaders was brought together to decide her fate.”

“So what was her sentence?” Komachi asked. “Death? Imprisonment? Exile?”

“Actually...” Nitori bit her lip. “The council acquitted her of all charges.”

“What?!” Mokou leaped out of her seat. “She stabbed her best friend in the back, and they let her go? That’s ridiculous!”

“Is it?” Sakuya held up a finger as she took on the role of devil’s advocate. “A ruler’s duty is to act in the best interests of her people. If she hadn’t attacked, the Ravager would have destroyed her nation rather than Yakumo’s.”

“That doesn’t excuse the fact she killed thousands.” Youmu almost instantly took the opposite stance from her sister. “Surely there should be some form of punishment for that.”

“And it’s not a dichotomy, Sakuya-san.” Koishi found her voice as she chimed in. “It wasn’t as if there were only two options. She could have found another solution, something that helped both her and Ran-san, but she just gave up right away.”

Sakuya scrunched up her nose. “True. Not even trying to find an alternative is rather telling of her character. I suppose she wasn’t that good a friend after all.”

“That’s not how the council saw it, though.” Nitori sat upright as Sango entered with a fresh glass of water and placed it in front of her. She took sips between sentences as if the very act of telling the story was an exertion. “They wrote off her duties as unpleasant but necessary to look after her people. This was after a war that had nearly destroyed the world as we know it, remember, so the last thing anyone wanted was to start another dispute. The vote was almost unanimous, with only one dissenter.”

“Ran,” Koishi whispered.

“Of course. She demanded justice for what had happened to her people, speaking about how under Yukari all youkai had joined forces for the greater good. Thing was, Yukari was dead by then, and any camaraderie between the nations died with her. Everyone was too busy putting their own country back together to offer support to anyone else.”

Nitori finished the last of her water in another hasty swig. “So she took matters into her own hands. She abandoned her post and hunted down Mamizou herself. They’ve been playing their little game of hide-and-seek ever since.”

She placed the empty glass on the desk, as if to punctuate the end of her story. “And it isn’t going to stop until one of them is dead.”

No-one was sure how to respond at first. It was Sango who brought the conversation back to life, looking up at the clock.

“Uh, guys...she said she was giving us an hour, right? Well, she said that about forty minutes ago.”

Koishi jolted. Of course. She’d been so caught up in the story that she’d forgotten about the matter at hand. There was no point thinking about tragedies long since past when there was another disaster she could do something about.

“She said she’d be at the zoo, right?” Komachi said. “We’re gonna need a lift if we want to make it in time.”

“Leave that to me,” Nitori said. “There’s a van out in the car park big enough to fit all of us.”

“And what do we do when we get there?” Youmu already looked set for a fight - if she’d brought her swords, Koishi would have sworn the girl was already on a battlefield.

“The first priority is stopping their little clash before it can start. An ounce of prevention, or something like that. Failing that...” The kappa winced. “Well, there’s no way we’ll be able to contain it without people noticing, so just don’t let that happen.”

Koishi nodded. There was no time for any plan more thorough than ‘get there and do something’. Time was of the essence, and they’d already squandered enough of it.

But there was one thing that still worried her. “Kawashiro-sensei, one more question-”

“Make it quick, Koishi-san. We need to run.”

“These youkai...they won’t hurt the humans, will they?”

Nitori paled at the thought. She eyed the empty glass on the desk.

“Ran, probably not. Mamizou...well, let’s not wait around to find out.”

-----

There. Done.

Nazrin slipped out of the last cage with a yawn. The mission had taken her all night to accomplish, but at last every youkai in the zoo had been warned of the coming breakout. She’d gone without sleep for it, but she barely felt the fatigue as she started the journey back to Mamizou’s office.

She’d spent a lot of time thinking over what she had heard, the stories of what the youkai had suffered through. The story of the hawks had been among the worst, but it was far from the only tale of woe this place had to offer. There was a new form of neglect around every corner, fresh abuse waiting at every turn.

The entire experience had been eye-opening, in the worst possible way. Even on the streets she had never been this exposed to the cruelty humans were capable of. Her master would never have dreamed of any of the horrors she had witnessed here, but with every story she grew more convinced that Shou had been a miraculous occurrence among a race that seemed almost pre-programmed to hurt others.

Youkai were better than that, Nazrin thought to herself. She would never do something as cruel as what had been inflicted on these creatures, and neither would Mamizou. There was a standard they maintained that the humans ignored entirely. As she wandered across the zoo, she watched the first swarm of humans drifting in to gawk at the cute little animals in their cages.

A tiny part of her didn’t want the humans to escape. They’d get what they deserved when the breakout started. But her conscience cried out against that idea; it would be stooping to their level. Better to prove their higher morals than dirty their hands.

Still, she had to admit it’d be fun to watch these bullies’ hard work go to waste. She wasn’t just ready to set the plan in motion, she was looking forward to it.

That enthusiasm vanished when she saw the body on the floor.

What...?

A human was lying face down a few feet from the entrance, his body cold and his lips blue. Nazrin darted over to him, nuzzling at his cheek in a desperate attempt to wake him.

She saw scratch marks on his neck where his killer had choked the life out of him.

No. No, no, no. Not again.

All Nazrin could hear was her heart pulsing into overdrive. They had already taken one master from her. Now the self-proclaimed FBI agent was here to take a second. The mouse flew into a panic, shifting to youkai form and running down the corridors as quickly as her legs would carry her.

The corpse she had found was only the first of many. Other employees were strewn across the halls in similar states. Some had been choked, others stabbed and lying in their own blood. All of them were beyond any sort of medical help. But there was no sign of Mamizou, living or dead.

By the time she finally found the security room, her feet were covered in dried blood. Her eyes were bloodshot, her heart ready to explode. If she stopped to think for an instant her lungs would realise they were starved for air.

And there, in the midst of the chaos, sat Mamizou Futatsuiwa.

“Morning, Nazzie.” Mamizou offered the mouse youkai a playful salute. “Glad you could make it.”

The first, instinctual emotion that came to Nazrin was relief. She ran a few paces into the room, arms outstretched and ready to embrace the tanuki.

It was a few seconds before her higher brain functions kicked in and made the connection.

Wait. She couldn’t have-

Nazrin had assumed this was the work of the youkai who’d been after Mamizou, but she was nowhere to be seen. The only people still breathing in the whole complex were her and her master.

Another jolt of fear ran through her body, but this was fear of a different sort.

“M-Mamizou...you didn’t...” She pointed at one of the bodies, no more than five paces away from the chair Mamizou now inhabited.

“What, them?” Mamizou looked down at the body and offered a noncommittal shrug. “How else did you think I was going to override the lock? By asking nicely?”

She smiled, her tail rustling behind her, as if the bloody corpses at her sides didn’t exist. That was more terrifying than anything Nazrin could think of.

“Besides, this is nothing.” She pointed to the row of screens showing visitors flowing along the zoo’s pathways. “There are gonna be a lot more casualties when the breakout starts.”

Nazrin’s jaw dropped. “B-But you said you were going to evacuate the humans before you let the youkai out!”

“And turn down a golden opportunity for a distraction?” Mamizou rolled her eyes. “What kind of moron do you think I am, Nazzie? I said that because it was what you wanted to hear.”

No. This wasn’t happening. This wasn’t what she’d asked for. She was meant to bring about a righteous rebellion against the oppressive human race, not help a murderer pave the streets with corpses. She grasped at her head, the chasm between her expectation and the reality too great for her mind to traverse.

“...Why?” The word barely croaked out of her. “Why would you do this?”

Mamizou raised an eyebrow. “I thought that’d be obvious by now.” She stood up, stepping over a body without paying it any notice. “I need to disappear, and Ran needs to stay busy long enough for me to make my escape. How better to do that than throw the whole place into disarray?”

This wasn’t Mamizou. This wasn’t the master that had taken her in when all seemed lost. Nazrin couldn’t believe it, wouldn’t believe it, but there was only so long she could hide from the truth.

In an instant, her wretched fear transformed into simmering hatred.

“I...I trusted you.” Nazrin clenched her teeth together, her whole body burning with anger. “I thought you cared.”

“And that was your first mistake.” Mamizou seemed entirely unperturbed by the mouse’s anger, reaching out to pat her on the head again. Nazrin batted the hand away, smacking the tanuki’s wrist as hard as she could. Mamizou tensed, but only for an instant.

“See? Now you’re learning.” A cruel grin spread across Mamizou’s face. “In the end, everyone’s looking after number one. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a liar.”

In all her life, Nazrin had never wished pain on anyone as much as she wished it on Mamizou right now. She’d been duped, manipulated in her darkest hour. Right when she’d needed a friend more than ever, she’d been exploited by a monster.

She didn’t realise she was screaming until she saw her own fist flying for Mamizou’s face.

“See?”

In a single, lightning-quick motion, Mamizou’s hand was wrapped around Nazrin’s wrist. She squeezed, and Nazrin felt the bones creak all the way down her arm. She howled in pain, unable to escape the tanuki’s vice-like grip.

“I was hoping we could come to an agreement, Nazzie.” Mamizou frowned. “But I can’t have you telling the Pearl about my plans, so I’m afraid this is where we part ways.”

Her eyes shone, and Nazrin felt her hand grow numb. At first she had thought it was from the pain, but as she looked down she saw her skin slowly turning a deathly grey.

“Don’t you think you’ll make a nice statue?” Mamizou smiled again, that wretched grin that made Nazrin want to tear her apart. “You were at your prettiest when you weren’t talking, in my opinion.”

The curse moved along her body at an alarming rate. Already it had passed her elbow, and her shoulder wasn’t far behind. Nazrin put all of her strength into escaping the hold, refusing to give Mamizou the pleasure of her screams. But even with all her might behind it, the tanuki was too strong for her to overcome.

By the time the petrification had reached her neck, she had all but accepted her defeat. The only thing left she could salvage was her pride. She refused to let this monster see her cry, staring defiantly back at Mamizou until the very end.

Master...I’m sorry. I didn’t know-

Then the stone engulfed her entirely, and her thoughts died out with it.

-----

“’Scuse me. Step aside. Coming through.”

Mokou shoved aside the twelfth family in a row, ignoring the grumbles and complaints she left in her wake. The Sirens kept closely behind her, passing through the holes she left in the crowd as they pressed through the zoo.

Koishi was a bit more attentive of the glares their group was getting. “We look pretty terrible, don’t we?”

“They’ll thank us when this place doesn’t get leveled by a fox with a score to settle,” Komachi answered. “On that note, how are we even supposed to find this woman? Aren’t foxes meant to be tricksters or something?”

“That they are. Tanuki, too.” Nitori’s eyes bounced around the crowd, her brain chugging so rapid that Koishi could almost hear the cogs grinding together. “We’ll figure something out, okay?”

It was hardly the best way to instill faith in her followers, but at least Nitori was being honest. They’d rushed out here without any clue how to solve the problem in front of them. They knew they had to do something, but the sticky matter of what was something they’d never managed to pin down.

Just look around. There’s got to be a clue somewhere...

Koishi joined in the inspections, eying over every passer-by and giving the cages a glance as she walked past. She’d never visited before, but the impressions she got from a small taste were far from positive. The visitors looked like they were enjoying themselves, but the animals seemed to be in a dismal mood at all times. She could even make out poorly-hidden scratches and cuts on some of them, small marks made by something no larger than a pebble.

She didn’t have to wait long to figure out the source.

“Yeah! Look at ‘em squirm!”

A small group of high-schoolers was gathered outside the hawk enclosure, throwing rocks inside to ruffle up its inhabitants. The creatures let off an infernal screech, one flying right up to the edge of the cage to try and scare them off. It got a rock in the eye for its trouble.

Koishi grimaced. She looked in both directions for zookeepers to warn, but there wasn’t a staff member in sight. The crowd was keeping their distance, too - no-one wanted to be the one guy causing trouble.

Koishi had no such inhibition. She broke away from the Sirens and approached the teenagers, her duty momentarily on hold.

“Eh? Koishi-san?”

Sango was the first to notice Koishi slipping away, reaching out to grab her and missing. Koishi looked back at her with a wink.

“Don’t worry, Sango-san. I’ll catch up.”

Sango didn’t get a chance to answer before she was whisked away by the crowd. In seconds Koishi was alone, stepping forward until the teenagers finally noticed her.

“Eh?” The first one to talk was taller than his companions and had the look of a leader. He was slim, pale, and covered in acne. He tossed a pebble up and down in one hand as an unspoken threat. “What’re you lookin’ at?”

Koishi stepped forward, snatching the pebble out of the air and pulling it away. The act was brazen enough to leave the leader stunned, his followers gasping in surprise.

“Leave those birds alone.” Koishi threw the pebble to the floor. “What makes you think it’s okay to bully them? They never did anything to you.”

Even the birds seemed surprised by Koishi coming to their defense, flying over to the front of the cage to watch the drama unfold. Acne-Face clenched his now empty hand into a fist.

“A real goody-two-shoes, aren’t we?” He motioned towards his gang, who quickly circled around Koishi. “You wanna see what happens when you get on our bad side?”

Koishi soon regretted taking these thugs on by herself. Maybe Mokou could handle them, but outside of Siren form she still wasn’t much of a fighter. She pulled up her fists, ready to give as good as she got from these creeps.

She was interrupted by what could only be described as hysteria.

“HYAAAAAAAH!”

A cry burst out from a woman standing in front of the vulture enclosure. As she leaped back, the doorway opened in front of her, and almost immediately the birds swooped out and descended on her.

The crowd reacted in the same way all crowds reacted in situations like this - complete and utter pandemonium. Screaming and yelling echoed out in every direction. More doors opened up, letting the animals loose upon the unwitting public. Some of the animals took the chance to make a break for freedom. Others, like the hawks, made the most of the opportunity to hand out some payback.

“W-What the hell?!” The tallest of the thugs got the worst of it, a bird falling from the sky and slamming him to the floor. His friends didn’t hang around to help him, quickly vanishing into the panicking crowd.

“H-Hey, guys! Don’t just leave me here!” Soon the acne-riddled boy was as surrounded as Koishi had been. Every time he tried to get to his feet, a hawk swung at his face with a talon. With no way to defend himself, he curled into a ball and let the hawks have their way with him.

For a moment Koishi was paralysed with shock. In less than a minute the world had fallen into complete chaos. The animals that stayed behind were attacking with intent to kill - and if nothing was done soon, they’d succeed in that. The hawks were baring their claws, drawing bloody marks along their victim’s skin.

This wasn’t the plan. This was everything she wasn’t meant to do. But she knew she had to do it. Reaching into her pocket, Koishi raised her Teardrop to the sky.

“Forged in light, a candid friend
On whom the people can depend
Answering the Siren’s call
The Ocean Princess fights for all!”

The flash of light that burst out of her stopped the fighting for an instant. Every eye, human or youkai, was focused on her as she emerged in Siren form. She held her sword in both hands, light shimmering along its golden edge as she pointed it forward.

She swung only once, the hawks splitting apart as she cut through the air they’d inhabited. The boy was still trembling, only now finding the nerve to open his eyes and look up.

“You-you’re...” He was struck dumb by shock, unable to look away from Koishi. “How are you-”

“This isn’t the time.” She stepped in front of him, swinging again to keep the hawks back. “Run!”

That was enough to get him to understand. Koishi had never seen a man run so quickly before. He was lost in the crowd within minutes.

But he wasn’t the only one in need of help. Just from where she was standing Koishi could count half a dozen visitors pinned down or under attack. And if the rest of the zoo had been affected, the number would only grow.

She couldn’t be everywhere at once. The only way to save these people was to talk the youkai out of their attack.

“Youkai of Gensouto, leave these people be! Fighting will do nothing to solve this!”

Koishi thought she was ready for anything. As the youkai moved towards her, leaving room for their former prey to flee, she was set for them to crash down on her all at once.

She wasn’t ready for someone to speak out against her.

“You’re wrong, Koishi.”

As the crowds dispersed, a single figure stepped towards Koishi. She wore a long blue jacket, but underneath it Koishi could make out a dark purple bodysuit.

And a violet Teardrop hanging from her chest.

“Satori...”

Koishi’s mouth went dry. She’d thought she would be ready for this confrontation, but she hadn’t expected it to be now. Satori made the most of that hesitation, stepping forward as the flock of birds split apart around her.

“Fighting is the only way these creatures can make their voices heard.” She spoke with power and fervour, the sort that could win crowds and sway hearts. “You’ve seen it, haven’t you? The suffering these youkai have endured. How would you expect them to respond?”

Koishi felt a cold sweat building. She couldn’t believe these words were coming from her Satori. It was like someone had pulled away her sister’s skin and worn it themselves.

“...I can’t believe that.” Koishi pulled her blade around again, pointing it at Satori this time. “I won’t accept that fighting is the only way to help them.”

“And you say that while you point a sword at me?” Satori smiled. “You’re still so naive, Koishi. That’s why I told you to stay out of this.”

She grabbed at the Teardrop on her chest. “Now you’ve left me with no choice.”

Immediately the seventh Siren was engulfed in her own violet light. She chanted her own incantation, the antithesis of her sister’s.

“The wheels of change are crimson red
Rebellion rears its ugly head
I’ll pay no mind to evil’s plea
For I’m the Violet Valkyrie!”

As the light faded, Satori reappeared in the dark purple dress that Koishi had become familiar with by now. The domino mask was gone, but the winged helmet of the valkyrie was as intimidating as ever. She drew her saber, placing the blades flat-to-flat.

“I’m sorry, Koishi.”

The valkyrie’s eyes faltered, flashing with regret rather than scorn. For a moment, Koishi swore she saw a flicker of her old sister in those eyes. By the time she blinked it was gone again, but it just added to Koishi’s conviction that there was still a fragment of Satori left to save.

“Me too.”

There were no more words to be shared. Only the sound of clashing steel.

-----

“OK, so what in the love of Pete is going on out there?”

Komachi smacked her hand into the table, the other hand tugging at her hair. The food court was all but deserted now, though they’d heard a few nervous whimpers from people hiding in the bathrooms. When everything had gone to hell, this was the first building they’d seen to take cover in.

“I assumed that would be obvious,” Sakuya answered, her gasps for breath betraying her otherwise relaxed demeanour. “Did you not see the animals strolling around as if they owned the place?”

“Not the time, Sakuya-san,” Nitori said. “We’ve got a huge situation on our hands here. Futatsuiwa must have set this up to cover her escape.”

“You don’t have another one of those crazy contingency plans for this, do you?” Mokou strolled up and down the length of the table, refusing to stay still for more than a second. “Because we are gonna need a miracle to pull this off without someone finding out.”

“I’m a strategist, not a mind-reader. If I had a plan like that, I’d have set it off already.” She gripped at her temples. “I wasn’t set for her to let the whole zoo loose. There are going to be people in danger all over the place.”

“What about the authorities?” Youmu asked. “Won’t the police be in on this?”

“Sure, in about twenty minutes. And for a lot of people that might be too late.”

The table went deathly quiet. Everyone became painfully aware of the empty space at the table. The space Koishi should have been sitting in. They’d only lost her for a second - but by the time they’d noticed her absence, the chaos had already begun.

“...OK, I have another question.”

Komachi swallowed as she stood up. She’d seen it in Mokou’s anxious pacing, Sakuya’s forced calmness, Youmu’s deathly silence. She knew the question hanging in all their minds. From the grave look on Nitori’s face, she knew what was coming even before Komachi finished asking.

“What is it, Komachi-san?”

Komachi pointed out the window. “Why aren’t we out there helping people right now?”

The other Sirens turned to look at Nitori, silently redoubling Komachi’s question. The kappa blanched.

“I’ve said it before. We can’t let anyone know about the Sirens.”

“So you’re saying it’s okay for people to die to keep that secret?” Mokou’s strolling brought her around behind Nitori, eyes piercing the kappa from above.

The disconnect taking place in Nitori’s mind was almost painfully visible. Saying yes meant she was willing to let innocents die for the greater good. Saying no meant she was risking millions of lives to save a mere few.

Komachi saw her teetering between the options. Time to give her a little push.

“Nitori-san, I’m no general, and I know you want to say that it’s in our best interests to stay out.” She pointed at the window again. “But those people out there...they’ve got friends, families, loved ones. If one of them came up to you and asked why you let those people die, would you be able to live with your answer?”

Youmu and Mokou nodded in agreement almost instantly. Sakuya paused for half a second, but even she concurred with Komachi’s judgement. That left only the dolphin sitting in the corner.

“Phwee...” Sango pouted, nodding her head rapidly along with the rest. “Sorry, boss, but they’ve got a point. And there’s the youkai to worry about, too - if we don’t stop them first, the police are probably going to put a lot of them down to stop the fighting.”

Nitori’s body went rigid as all these claims struck her at once. For a moment Komachi thought the kappa would burst open, the pressure snapping her like a twig.

Instead, with a large puff of air, Nitori managed to smile.

“Good. I was hoping you’d say that.” Reinvigorated, she managed to pull her head up and face her subordinates once again. “Alright, then. You all have full clearance to intervene wherever necessary. But whatever you do, keep casualties to an absolute minimum - most of these youkai are lashing out, but given the chance they’ll come to their senses.”

“Understood.” Youmu’s eyes glazed over into the hardened look of a warrior. “So, what’s our battle plan?”

Committing to a course of action had seemingly freed Nitori from her constraints, and she approached the challenge with a newfound fortitude.

“The zoo’s too big for us to move about in a group. We’ll have to split up and focus on the most dangerous exhibits first. We lost Koishi-san somewhere near the bird enclosures, so we’ll have to assume she’s dealing with that. Sango, Mokou-san, you two deal with all the herbivores large enough to step on someone. Sakuya-san, Youmu-san, you handle the carnivores.”

“Lions and tigers and bears?” Sakuya smiled. “Oh my.”

“Very funny. I’ll pull back to the entrance and try to organise the relief team when it arrives. Any questions?”

“Uh, yeah, I’ve got one.” Komachi raised her hand. “Where do I fit in this plan?”

Nitori beamed. “You can fiddle with distance, right? That makes you the fastest of all of us. Your job is to find Ran and Mamizou before they can start blowing each other up.”

“And you’re sending me out to do this on my own?” Komachi glowered. “Against two of the strongest youkai in the business?”

“Don’t worry,” Mokou said, patting Komachi on the back. “They’ll probably be so busy trying to kill each other that they’ll barely notice you.”

“I’m not sure if that’s meant to be a compliment.”

“Don’t think it over too much, then.” Nitori rose to her feet, her commanding aura revived in full. “Alright, everyone. Let’s go save some lives.”
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 04:24:06 AM by Sango Tororetsu »

« Reply #571 on: May 19, 2013, 03:35:54 PM »
well, that was not what i expected in the slightest... though in hindsight it should have been obvious... darn, i hope them sirens know anti petrification spells or something....

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #572 on: May 19, 2013, 04:21:12 PM »
...Meh, I liked it better when Mami wasn't Objectively Bad. Still interesting, but in a different way.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #573 on: May 19, 2013, 04:59:43 PM »
Well! That was quite the twist.

That caught me completely by surprise.

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

LaserTurtle

• Master of the lurk
  • *sips tea*
« Reply #574 on: May 19, 2013, 07:01:50 PM »
Oh, this is gonna be great. I love "2 people fighting and a third party interfering" situations!
Off The Rails [complete!] 1  2 - Sharks jumped: Somewhere between one and all of them
Talking to yourself isn't a sign of madness. Expecting a reply is.
Stare too long into the abyss and the abyss stares back, and then it gets awkward until one of you breaks eye contact.

« Reply #575 on: May 20, 2013, 01:31:52 AM »
Wow, twisty, this is turning out really cool. :D
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 04:47:31 AM by Yaersulf »

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
Hey, people. Just giving a heads up that I won't be updating this week since obviously it'd clash with the release of 13.5 and 14. Hopefully by next Sunday the hype will have died down enough that I can get back on schedule.

Sorry for not giving enough of a warning for this. >_<

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #577 on: June 02, 2013, 06:25:49 PM »
Mokou wondered how many people could claim they had punched a giraffe.

The creature toppled over unceremoniously, whining as it landed on its side. The blow wasn?t fatal - in fact, it wasn?t even enough to knock the creature out. It kicked about on the ground for a moment as it tried to get back to its feet.

?Now, Sango-san!?

On the other side of the pathway, Sango took her opening to charge forward, drawing her vial of salt and sweeping its contents across the youkai?s face. The giraffe continued to squirm up until the sleeping salt kicked in, and its struggling stopped as it fell into a deep slumber in the middle of the path.

?Nice work.? Mokou held a fist out in front of Sango. ?I think we might make a pretty awesome tag team some day.?

?No problem.? The dolphin smiled as she tapped her own fist against the Siren?s. ?Thanks for bringing him down for me. That neck was way too long for me to deal with.?

?Yeah, well.? Mokou turned away from Sango, towards the third person present. ?Anyway, you alright??

A young girl was huddled against the wall, her face still wet from crying. She?d tripped and fallen trying to run away, but she hadn?t suffered any serious injuries.

?U-Um...? The girl looked up at Mokou with glimmering eyes. ?Are you a superhero??

Mokou went as red as her own flames. ?Uhh. I, well, I guess I am??

That answer only served to make the girl even more excited. ?Oh wow oh wow oh wow! You?re one of those magical girls from the early-morning anime, right? When?s your show? I?ll watch it every day!?

This sudden assault of admiration left Mokou stunned until she remembered the gravity of the situation. She cleared her throat and helped the girl stand up. ?Now?s not the time for that, kid. It?s still dangerous out here. You?d better go home and let your parents know you?re alright.?

?Awww, but I wanna watch you fight more bad guys!? The girl stamped her feet and sulked with the expertise only a child could possess. Mokou did her best not to let her frustration surface as she responded.

?You?ll see me on TV, alright? I?ll be all over the internet, too.?

?Really?? The girl?s mouth hung open.

?Sure!? The Siren pulled her best smile as she patted the girl on the head. ?So you can watch me as much as you want.?

The sale couldn?t have been easier. The girl rushed forward and wrapped her arms around Mokou?s hips, prompting another flare of colour from the phoenix.

?Thank you lots and lots. I?ll tell my mommy to buy your series on DVD, alright?!? With that as her final promise, the girl tottered off in the direction of the entrance, away from the chaos that was still unfolding.

Mokou looked down on herself, at the vest and shorts that made up her attire. ?How do I look like a magical girl to her??

?Hey, be grateful she even noticed you.? Sango pouted. ?And I was even the one to land the finishing blow. Why don?t I get to be a magical girl??

?Because you?re our mascot, Sango-san.? Mokou stroked at the dolphin?s fin, forcing a small ?phwee? out of her. ?Don?t worry, there?s still a lot more for us to get through. Let?s go.?

Sango couldn?t stay angry for long; she knew her complaints were petty in the face of what they were going through. Her cheer returned as they continued down the pathway, past the empty cages and shattered fences. It had only been twenty minutes since the outbreak had begun, but the zoo was verging on empty now. Most of the people left were the ones in dire need of rescuing.

?Did you mean what you said there?? Sango asked as they scouted the area for survivors. ?About being all over the TV, I mean.?

?Of course. Look over there.? Mokou pointed at a passer-by as they ran past. The civilian turned to face them, a phone ever present in his hand. ?He was standing there for the whole fight. That video?s going up on Niconico tonight, no doubt.?

Sango looked back as the would-be cameraman turned into a speck in the distance. ?Why didn?t he run like the rest of them??

?Human nature, Sango-san. Maybe he wanted to help, or maybe he just wanted footage to show the world what happened here. Either way, time we spend stopping him is time we could spend saving people-?

?HEEEEELP!?

A howl sounded from one of the nearby grottoes. ?People like that, for instance,? Mokou said, altering her course to run straight for the target. Sango couldn?t keep up with the Siren?s raw speed, falling away and leaving Mokou to herself. A fence stood between her and ger goal, but with all the momentum she?d gathered jumping over it was almost pedestrian.

Mokou landed on muddy ground, her boots sinking an inch into the dirt. She gave her new surroundings a cursory glance. A lot of water and a lot of grass, not too dissimilar from most of the exhibits here. In the distance, in the direction of the screaming, three hippos were circling the sole tree in the enclosure.

Hanging on one of the branches was a salaryman in his thirties, a look of primal fear was drawn across his face. ?Y-You there!? he cried at the sight of Mokou. ?Please, get these things away from me!?

The hippos, as if in response to his cry for help, began to ram the tree in an attempt to knock it over. The man clung tighter to the branch as its leaves were shaken off.

Mokou sized up the creatures in front of her. They weren?t as tall as the giraffe, but they had a lot more muscle on them. One in particular was larger than the rest, the bull of the herd. It turned towards Mokou as she approached, walking with slow, plodding steps.

To her surprise, rather than charging in headfirst the hippo vanished in front of her eyes, reappearing soon after in his youkai form. He was every bit as large and intimidating as before, his bare chest covered in well-toned muscle. A thick red substance similar to blood ran along his arms, and a loosely-tied pair of pants protected his modesty.

?What are you?? he asked, his voice unbelievably loud. ?You are human, yet you wield powers beyond your ken.?

Mokou braced herself, replying with equal audacity. ?What I am doesn?t matter. You?re gonna let that guy go, or I?m gonna have to make you co-operate.?

?This human stepped into my territory. He is subject to my law, and I have decided his punishment shall be death. This is not your place to intervene.?

?Well, personally, I?m not a fan of the death penalty.? Mokou raised her fists and beckoned him in with a finger. ?But there?s nothing wrong with a good scrap now and then.?

The hippo youkai snorted, the sound somewhere between a growl and a laugh. ?You would challenge me to a brawl?? He smiled. ?You interest me, human. Normally I would fight in my original form, but I wish to see how your fists fare against mine. Defeat me, and I?ll let this man leave with his life.?

?That?s all?? Mokou gave the youkai a small bow. ?You?re too kind, sir.?

?Oh, this is not kindness.? He cracked his knuckles, each one snapping loud enough to make Mokou wince. ?You?ll understand when I?m picking shards of your face out of my teeth-!?

He dashed forwards with impressive speed for a man of his stature. He roared as he raised a fist upwards, set to punch a hole right through Mokou?s chest. Mokou rolled to the side, using the momentum to spin around on the floor and kick at the back of her opponent?s heel.

She struck as hard as she could, but the youkai didn?t even flinch.

?Uh-oh.?

The youkai smiled wickedly, lifting his foot to trample Mokou where she stood. She rolled to the side, coating herself in mud as she scrambled back to her feet. She felt a new appreciation for just how sturdy hippos actually were.

Her opponent?s blows were sluggish, but as she swerved around them Mokou could hear the air whistling past her ears. One hit would be enough to leave her dazzled for a week. Two would be fatal. She ducked and weaved around her foe?s assault, exploiting every opening to counterattack with a fist in the gut. She felt her punches stop short against her opponent?s body, unable to make any lasting impact.

I?m not hurting him, she thought to herself. Time to up the ante.

Mokou stepped backwards, shuffling her gloves about. ?Inferno Gauntlet, Immolate!? The red jewels drawn across her knuckles came to life, letting off steam as they began to sizzle.

?Fire magic?? Another smirk from the youkai, as he lifted his hands into a more defensive stance. ?You become more interesting by the minute, human!?

He started to push forward again, his punches weaker but more controlled. Every swing was aimed straight for Mokou?s stomach, forcing her to give up ground as she stepped back to dodge. Her reach was shorter than his, and she had to settle for passing shots to his arms as he pulled back.

Mokou was puzzled. He was pressing her back, but the fence was still a long way off. He?d never make any progress fighting like this. What was his plan?

She only figured it out when she stepped backwards into the watering hole.

?Ah-?

That moment of realisation was enough for her opponent to capitalise on. The hippo youkai charged forward again, snatching out at Mokou?s hand and pulling the Ring of Breath from her finger.

?Never fight a youkai in his own element!?

He grabbed Mokou by the shoulders and pushed her under the surface. Muddy water clouded her vision as she found herself pressed into the mud, the youkai falling onto her and pinning her with his full weight.

?Mmmhhmm!?

Mokou tried to punch at the hippo again, only for him to grab her by the wrists. She kicked about in vain, unable to even bend her knees under the mass that was slowly crushing her. Already her lungs started to ache, an errant stream of bubbles escaping her lips.

The Siren?s brain kicked into overdrive. She had maybe half a minute before she drowned. Her hands were useless. Her feet were useless. She couldn?t even get enough momentum for a proper headbutt. She was out of options.

...No. The idea struck her like lightning. No, I?m not!

The hippo smirked, and even through the murky water Mokou could see him savouring his victory. He stayed firmly in place, waiting for the last few bubbles to slip out of his opponent.

He wasn?t prepared for Mokou to reveal her wings.

?Grrbl?!?

He had just enough time to register shock before Mokou folded her wings around his back. She could hear the sizzling as the golden feathers burned at his skin. He howled out in pain, spewing bubbles as he lifted himself off of her in an attempt to escape.

From there, momentum did the rest. Mokou flapped her wings once, with enough force to pull her out of the water and fly past the hippo on the way out. As she passed him by, she arranged an immediate appointment between her boot and his face. The kick landed clean, smacking the youkai straight out of the watering hole and sending him flying a good twenty feet.

Needless to say, he didn?t get back up.

?Haaaah.? Mokou gasped for air, dismissing her wings as she walked out of the water. She pulled her ring out from the dirt where the hippo had discarded it. It was in a sorry state, but it still worked.

?Mokou-san!? Sango?s head popped over the fence as she heaved herself over. ?I?m here to-whoa, what did I miss??

The dolphin?s eyes bounced between the fallen hippo and the soaked-through Mokou. In the distance, the other two hippos had huddled themselves in a distant corner, honouring their leader?s vow. The salaryman lowered himself out of the tree, shivering like it was the middle of winter. He ran right past the Siren, saying nothing but the word ?thank you? over and over as he ran to safety.

?No worries, Sango-san. Everything?s fine over here.? Mokou stuck out her chest, looking as dominant as she could while covered in mud and water. ?Though if know where I could find a towel, that would be pretty great.?

-----

It wasn?t until she?d started running that Komachi realised she had no idea what she was looking for.

Her job was simple enough - find Ran Yakumo and her target, and make sure they didn?t blow anyone up. The issue was that her description of Ran began and ended with ?fox tails?, and Mamizou was a mystery to her entirely. How was she supposed to stop a fight when she had no idea who would be doing the fighting?

The answer was simpler than she thought. A crowd charged past her - not humans, as she?d expected, but youkai fleeing for their lives. It couldn?t be the other Sirens - they were in whole different sections of the zoo. So they had to be running from another youkai - something bigger and deadlier than any of them.

The first explosion reached her soon afterward, the sound overpowering even from this distance. Komachi clutched an ear with one hand, cocking the Titanic in the other. She ran in the direction of the noise, towards the billow of smoke it had left in its wake.

It wasn?t difficult to find the source. She almost fell into the crater the explosion had left behind, a gaping hole in the pathway almost three feet deep. The ground was still smouldering around the edges, and the tree next to it still swayed from the impact.

Komachi had the sinking feeling she was in over her head with this.

?Missed again!?

A voice caught Komachi?s attention. Looking up, she saw a woman standing on the branch above the crater, a massive ringed tail emerging from behind her. Across from her, on the other side of the pathway, stood a sharply-dressed youkai with nine golden tails. She grunted, her palm still outstretched from where the last attack must have emerged.

?You can?t run forever,? Ran growled, looking up at her target. Komachi couldn?t help but notice that the fox hadn?t even reacted to a human?s presence.

?Really?? Mamizou tilted her head and smirked. ?You?ve been trying to catch me for a few centuries now. Haven?t had much luck, have you??

The fox?s face contorted into a grimace. Her palm shone gold as another fireball came into existence, larger than her hand and growling with a horrible crackle. She thrusted forward, the ball of flame aimed right at the tanuki.

Whoa!

Komachi leaped to the side to keep herself from being caught in the crossfire. Within instants the whole tree was alight, brilliant orange flames glistening from every branch.

Yup, Komachi thought to herself. Really should?ve brought some backup.

Yet there was no sign of the spell?s target. Komachi looked up at the branch Mamizou had been perched on, but she couldn?t even see a silhouette of the tanuki. Had she been torn apart by the explosion, or-

?Ooh, nice gun.?

Komachi nearly jumped out of her skin. Mamizou was right behind her, the tanuki?s head resting on her shoulder and eying up her weapon. The Siren went deathly still, growing less confident in her chances by the second.

?I?m guessing you called the White Pearl here?? Mamizou looked up at Ran, paying no mind to the human she was currently using as a headrest. ?You know, just in case you couldn?t catch me on your own. Again.?

Ran?s eyes smouldered. Her hand let off a pale light as she debated whether to let off another shot. Komachi tensed herself, ready for a desperate break to the side if Ran gave in to the temptation.

?Still, it took you a while to find me this time.? Mamizou yawned, her chin digging into Komachi?s shoulder. The Siren squirmed, trying to pull herself away. An arm around her waist put an end to that plan, and snatched at the wrist of her gun-hand for good measure.

?Aren?t you tired of this whole cat and mouse thing by now?? Mamizou continued. ?Just go home and live out your golden years like any woman your age would.?

Ran?s hand grew brighter, the flame reforming along her palm. For a moment, it looked like she?d take the shot, and Komachi winced in preparation for it. But in the end the fox held back, her expression grim and frustrated.

?Leave the human out of this,? she said. ?Face your punishment with some degree of honour.?

?Honour?? Now it was Mamizou?s turn to sound offended. The arm around Komachi?s waist grew tighter. ?This whole affair started because you couldn?t accept that I did what I had to do.?

Komachi struggled again, still unable to overpower the tanuki. She tried to smack at Mamizou?s hand with the butt of her gun, but she couldn?t put any force into the strike. Still, Mamizou was paying almost no attention to her. If she found an opening, maybe she could break free, but for now she?d have no choice but to wait.

?You slaughtered my people, Mamizou.? Ran stared right past Komachi, looking straight at her target. Komachi wondered if they?d have acted any differently if Mamizou was hiding behind a statue rather than a Siren. Probably not.

?What else did you want me to do? Let the Ravager walk over my own country??

Their words flowed almost too naturally, like they were reciting from a script. Komachi recalled that these two had been playing the roles of predator and prey for centuries now. They must have had this discussion hundreds of times before.

?...Actually, forget it.? Mamizou sighed, a thousand years of pent-up frustration bursting out at once. ?You aren?t going to listen to a word I say. I thought you?d come to your senses eventually, but you?re even crazier than I thought.?

?Says the woman hiding behind a human hostage.?

?That?s called strategy.? Mamizou squeezed Komachi for effect. The youkai was stronger than she looked, and physical strength was hardly Komachi?s strong point. ?Anyway, I hate to say it, but I?m giving up on you.?

Ran raised an eyebrow. Komachi could only assume this wasn?t part of the script. ?What?s that meant to mean?? the fox asked

?You only kept finding me because I wanted to be found. I figured with enough time you?d understand what I did.? The tanuki shrugged. ?But it turns out you?re just cuckoo, so I?m not gonna hang around and sit through your little tantrums.? With her free hand, she waved farewell to Ran. ?So good riddance. I hope you find someone else to-?

Komachi caught the one instant where Ran allowed fear to slip onto her face. Then the fox?s hand shone gold, a pillar of flame flying through the air straight towards Komachi?s chest. The Siren made to move out of the way - and succeeded, falling to her side as the hands holding her in place disappeared.

As the Siren turned around, she saw no sign of her captor. Mamizou had disappeared again, and Komachi couldn?t even feel her presence anymore. Ran turned on the spot, desperately searching for any sign of her prey.

She found nothing, and howled out a curse in a language Komachi would never learn.

?No! Fight me, you coward!?

The suit seemed alien on Ran?s body now, her expression feral and beastlike. Her eyes were flooded with rage, her breaths ragged, her whole body hunched over. She fired on everything that resembled a hiding spot, igniting bushes and cages with equal prejudice. Komachi had to move out of the way of a few shots, the youkai not even acknowledging her existence.

?Haaah, haaah...?

As the last few shelters fell apart, Ran stood alone in the midst of her own inferno. The fox?s shadow was long and dark in the face of the flames, flickering as if it had a life of its own. Komachi looked behind her to see the fire cutting off her escape route. There was no way for her to move other than forward, towards the youkai. Ran jerked around to look at her, as if she had only just acknowledged the human?s presence.

?Why didn?t you do anything?? the fox yelled, spitting the words out like they were poisonous. ?You just sat there and let her escape!?

?Well, I?m sorry I don?t have a few extra centuries of practice like you do,? Komachi answered, keeping her fears locked away as she stared the youkai right in the eyes. ?Now are you done blowing things up, or do I have to put you on a leash??

Again Komachi saw the temptation flash across Ran?s face. It would only take a wave of her hand to reduce Komachi to a pile of dust. The Siren held her composure, waiting for Ran?s fury to pass, watching as the youkai returned to something resembling sanity.

?...A leash.? She gasped. ?That?s it! Gods, why did I never think of this?!?

She dug into her pocket, pulling out a small vial filled with a dark red liquid. Komachi didn?t need three guesses to figure out what its contents were.

?A memento from before the war,? Ran said. ?We offered blood to one another as a symbol of our kinship.? She pulled the stopper off of the vial with her teeth. ?Let?s see her run away from this.?

The vial?s contents were poured onto the ground, seeping into the pathway as a crimson blotch. She drew a small knife, ran it along her arm, and allowed her own blood to mix with Mamizou?s. Komachi swallowed hard as she watched - she?d seen plenty of magic before, but this was more visceral than her usual fare.

?Two souls, joined as one.? She chanted, her voice low and monotonic. ?Let this ritual be proof of our union.?

Ran put her hand to the earth, her palm shining brighter as a magic circle forward around her. Komachi stepped back as the enchantment grew more complex, rings forming within rings as Ran continued to chant.

?Let us be bound together, side by side, until death shatters the chain that joins us.?

The fox winced, grabbing at her chest with her other hand. Komachi moved forward to tend to her, but the circle flashed again as it pushed the Siren back. Whatever this ritual was, it didn?t want a human to interfere with it.

?HaaaaAAAAAAAAH!?

The proud queen of the foxes couldn?t help but cry out as the spell reached its finale. A golden thread burst out of her chest, still coated in her own blood. She fell to her knees, gasping for breath as the circle began to fade. Her face was flushed of life entirely.

The sheer conviction frightened Komachi. The amount of pain Ran was willing to inflict on herself in the name of vengeance was obscene. How much pain would she be willing to inflict on the rest of the world?

?What the hell was that?? Komachi stepped forward again, trying to pull the fox back to her feet. Ran pushed her away with a hand, her grip weak and shaky.

?I?m fine.? Ran brushed herself off, rubbing ash and gravel off of her now blood-soaked suit. ?Just give me a few minutes to recover.?

She didn?t look alright, Komachi thought. It?d be a few minutes before the exertion passed. Still, the last thing Komachi wanted to do was make an enemy of one of the strongest youkai in the world, so she decided not to press the point.

?What matters is this little thing.? Ran eyed the golden thread, still hanging in the air in front of her. ?It should pull Mamizou in if she tries to get too far away from me.?

Komachi nodded. That seemed like a reasonable plan of attack to keep Mamizou from fleeing. But the thread itself seemed strangely silent, not even trying to find its target. ?So why isn?t it doing anything?? Komachi asked.

Ran frowned. ?That?s an excellent question. I didn?t make a mistake, did I? That was the only sample I had, so-?

The sentence never finished. The colour flushed from Ran?s face. ?She never left.? She turned about. ?But then where could she-?

Everything played out in slow motion for Komachi. Ran looking to the floor, sweat dripping down her face. Her eyes popping open when she saw the silhouette on the ground wasn?t hers.

And Mamizou leaping out from her hiding spot in Ran?s shadow.

Ran didn?t have time to react. Mamizou?s fist caught her square in the chest, knocking her backwards into the air. Before she?d even hit the ground Mamizou had started a charm of her own, a dark grey chain bursting from her palm and engulfing the fox.

?Ran!? Komachi was too slow to react as the chain wrapped itself around the youkai. Ran squirmed and shuffled, unable to escape her bonds. She could barely breathe as the charm did its best to squeeze the life out of her.

?Kyaahahaha!? Mamizou laughed uncontrollably, her glasses falling away to reveal almost soulless eyes. ?You actually fell for it! I can?t believe you were stupid enough to leave yourself open like that!?

Komachi?s brain gradually caught up with what was going on. The ?disappearance? had been a trick. It had left Ran distracted long enough for Mamizou to strike decisively. And there was no questioning what Mamizou planned to do with this opportunity.

?What was that you said just there? ?Until death shatters the chain that binds us??? She reached into Ran?s pocket, pulling out the knife she?d used for the ritual. She put it to the fox?s neck, pressing it against her skin. ?Well, I think that can be arranged-?

Before she could do the deed, the cocking of a gun caught her attention. She looked up to the sight of the Titanic?s barrel a few feet from her face.

?Actually,? Komachi said, ?I might have a problem with that.?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 06:40:38 PM by Yuuyiced Fairy »

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #578 on: June 02, 2013, 09:11:58 PM »
Badass Komachi is best Komachi.

Metaflare

• Happening Cat of the Middle of Nowhere
  • Welp is not a good nickname
« Reply #579 on: June 02, 2013, 09:31:03 PM »
mokou just kicked a hippo in the face

:3

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #580 on: June 09, 2013, 09:29:28 AM »
Nazrin had always wondered what death felt like.

Even after thousands of years of study, youkai had never managed to glimpse into the machinations of the afterlife. There were many theories and trains of thought, all of them equally impossible to test without leaving the subject unable to report their findings.

Nazrin had been a staunch believer in what she called the Whole Lot Of Nothing theory. She?d considered the very concept of an afterlife to be wishful thinking, and subscribed to the thought that once you were dead, all your senses died with you. You saw nothing, heard nothing, felt nothing, thought nothing. In short, you basically ceased to exist.

So she had to admit that she was mildly frustrated when she found herself lying in what may as well have been the Elysian fields.

Where am I...?

She was lying at the foot of a massive oak tree, its branches shielding her from the sunlight. Grassy fields stretched out in every direction. The sky was a perfect blue, speckled with the occasional cloud.

And of course, her master was lying right next to her, full of life and vigour.

?Morning, sleepyhead.?

Shou promptly ruffled at the youkai?s hair. If Nazrin?s mind wasn?t spiraling around inside her head right now, she might even have been embarrassed by the gesture.

This wasn?t happening. A little slice of heaven, just for her? That was ridiculous. Maybe her brain was shutting down, and this was all a hallucination. That made a lot more sense.

?I expected my imagination to make you look a lot holier than this,? she said to her master.

?Eh?? Shou tilted her head. ?What?s that supposed to mean??

?I dunno. I figured I?d have given you wings or a halo or something. Given you?re, well...?

Even knowing that this was all a dream, Nazrin found it difficult to tell Shou she was dead right to her face. Luckily the Siren filled in the blank for her, running a finger across her own neck.

?Some friendly advice for you, Nazrin.? She smiled. ?Don?t get smacked in the back of the head with a wooden beam. It hurts like hell.?

?I guessed as much.?

By now the initial shock had subsided, and Nazrin allowed herself to grow comfortable in her master?s arms as Shou embraced her. She was still slightly peeved that she?d been wrong, but it wasn?t as if this was a bad way to go. She decided to make the most of it before her brain gave up completely.

?You weren?t watching me, were you?? Nazrin said, hanging her head low.

?Of course I was,? Shou answered, with unconquerable cheer. ?What, is that a bad thing??

?Well, it was sort of embarrassing.? The mouse scratched behind her own ear. ?I didn?t even get to fight, really. I threw one punch, and then I was just a statue.? She heaved out a sigh. ?Guess that?s what happens when you?re just a mouse, though.?

Shou frowned. ?What?s so bad about being a mouse??

?Besides the fact that you?re a meal for about eight thousand percent of the predators on the planet?? She smiled wryly, a sadness hidden behind her thin layer of nonchalance. ?All mice are really good at is running away. We?re just not strong enough to do much beyond that.?

She leaned further into her master, the human?s body even warmer than she remembered. Nazrin felt frigid and lifeless in comparison, as if she was still a statue.

?I dunno,? Shou whispered, one hand playing with Nazrin?s ruffled hair. ?I know at least one thing mice are pretty good at.?

?If you say ?eating cheese?, I?m going to just stand up and walk away.?

?Nothing like that.? Shou?s expression grew sedated, hugging the mouse harder. ?I mean, I know a little mouse that saved my life.?

The coolness flooding Nazrin?s body washed away with her master?s words. She felt warm again, and a beam of light slipped through the tree branches to strike her.

?You?ve been my best friend for as long as I can remember, Nazrin. Even though you never talked back, I always knew you were listening to me.? Shou pressed her cheek right against Nazrin?s, so warm it almost burned. ?I never got to say thanks before, so...well, thanks. I don?t know where I?d be without you.?

Nazrin frowned. ?You?d still be alive, for one.?

?Maybe.? Shou squeezed tighter. ?But life without you would probably suck, anyway.?

The words were more earnest than Nazrin expected. She?d expected her own subconscious to be more critical, or at least a bit snider. Maybe it was going easy on her given the whole ?dying? thing.

?As much as I appreciate your compliment,? she said, pulling away a little, ?I reserve the right to be upset about being dead.?

?And so you should.? Shou gave her a pat on the head before she could get too far away. ?But what would you do if you were still alive??

Nazrin paused. Her plans hadn?t extended far beyond ?be alive again?. If she?d had that sort of opportunity, what would she do with it?

It took a few seconds of thought before she could give an answer.

?What I saw today...what the humans did to all of those youkai. I?d never known humans were capable of something like that.?

She looked up to gauge Shou?s response. The human?s expression was tentative at best. Nazrin wondered if she had said something wrong.

?But they?re not the only ones,? she continued. ?Mamizou tried to tell me that youkai were better than humans, but she was just as willing to kill for her own ends. Maybe even more so.?

That brightened Shou?s face a little. Nazrin felt more at ease as she finished her line of thought.

?My plans haven?t changed. I still want to stop people like that from hurting anyone. But there?s got to be a better way of doing it.?

Her own eagerness surprised her as her soliloquy came to an end. She couldn?t remember being this enthused about anything. Maybe something positive had come from this after all.

?But it?s not like any of that matters, is it?? She flopped forwards onto the grass, lying on her back. ?After all, it?s not like I can do much if I?m made of limestone.?

Shou knelt down beside her, her expression mischievous. ?I?m...not so sure about that.?

?What do you propose, then? Eroding my way to victory??

The human crawled along the floor, putting her face a few inches in front of Nazrin?s. Nazrin felt her master?s warm breath on her cheek, and it sent a tingle down her spine and along her tail.

?What if I told you that you weren?t quite dead?? Shou said.

Wonderful, Nazrin thought. Now her brain was in denial. How could she be so accepting of her own death when her subconscious wasn?t?

?That?d be great, but I don?t-?

The kiss was too sudden for Nazrin to react to. One moment she was speaking, and the next Shou?s lips were pressed right against hers.

Nazrin was on fire. A million emotions wrestled one another in her head - anger, confusion, embarrassment, adoration, disgust, and everything else under the sun. Her whole body felt lighter, as if she was fading away into nothingness.

It took a while for her to realise that wasn?t just a clever metaphor.

What the-

As she looked down on herself, Nazrin saw her fingers fading away into a fine mist. The fog ran along her arms, painlessly. She could already feel the same thing happening to her legs, the sensation at her waist and still climbing.

It felt like being petrified in reverse. Before, the feeling had drained her body and left her numb. Now her senses felt sharper and stronger, even for the parts of her body that didn?t seem to exist anymore. For lack of a better word, she felt awake.

Her mind raced with questions, but she couldn?t find words for what was happening. The fog was up to her neck, moments away from engulfing her completely. The last thing she saw was Shou hanging over her, smiling playfully as she wiped at her lips.

?And that?s what I like to call the kiss of life.?

-----

?...Nnh??

Nazrin awoke in a puddle of her own drool. Her entire body was numb, responding only with hesitation to her attempts to move. Every muscle felt slow and sluggish, like she had been lying on it in her sleep.

Her brain was in a similar condition. For almost half a minute, she focused solely on recovering her basic motor functions. With gargantuan effort, she rose to her feet and wiped her face clean.

It was only then that she realised all of her previous actions were entirely impossible.

?Eh??

She looked around, finding herself in the security office again. She was still surrounded by the bodies of the guards, but their killer had fled the scene. Everything was just as she remembered it before the curse had taken hold.

The curse that should have killed her.

Her brain was already overclocked, but now she only had more questions to pile on top of what was already there. Was this another trick? A fantasy? Or was she - no, she couldn?t be. She couldn?t have escaped a curse that powerful. She was no scholar, but a spell of that magnitude would take something equally mighty to counter it.

Yet here she was, and she could hardly doubt that she was back. If this was an illusion, she wouldn?t have felt like she?d been ripped apart and sewn back together. Either that, her imagination was crueler than she thought.

-n?

Nazrin flinched. A voice echoed through her head, but it was drowned out by a flood of static. She tried to focus her thoughts on it, but no amount of effort made its words any clearer.

So now I have voices in my head, Nazrin thought to herself. Maybe I am going crazy.

The more she tried to listen, the less she could make out. Her tail began to swish with impatience, the voice too loud for her to simply ignore.

-rin? ...-ere?

To her surprise, moving her tail seemed to help. The closer it was to Nazrin?s body, the clearer the voice became. She brought it around, bringing the tip right in front of her face.

The ribbon on her tail was glowing.

-Nazrin? You there?

No. That voice. It couldn?t be.

?...Master??

Nazrin wondered what she must have looked like at that moment, talking to a room filled with nothing but corpses. She was grateful that no-one was around to watch her ranting.

Finally! The ribbon flashed in time with Shou?s voice. Took you long enough to hear me. I swear, the reception on this thing is garbage.

For once in her life, Nazrin didn?t have a snide comment to offer. She stared blankly at the ribbon, her mind still struggling to process everything that was going on. The fact that she was alive again was enough to stump her; everything else was just making the problem worse.

Come to think of it, when HAD she picked up the ribbon? She had just woken up with it the day after the fire. She didn?t remember picking it up or putting it on, but it had never occurred to her to get rid of it-

So, uh, you?re welcome? Shou?s voice started up again before Nazrin could dwell too long on the dilemma. You know, for getting rid of that curse you were under.

?That was you?? Nazrin blinked, trying not to think too hard about how she had started up a discussion with a talking ribbon.

You think I kissed you for the hell of it? Shou chuckled, the ribbon slithering up and down Nazrin?s tail in time with her hearty laugh. Don?t get me wrong, Nazrin. You?re sweet and all, but our relationship is fine the way it is.

Nazrin blushed from the recollection. She had been hoping that little sequence had just been a hallucination. Apparently not.

?OK, master. Ribbon. Whatever you are.? She pointed one finger at the accessory, trying to convert all her confusion into anger. ?I have no idea what?s going on here, so either you?re going to explain yourself or I?m going to throw you in the garbage.?

The voice tried to respond, but it was still struggling to be heard over the static. It stopped mid-word, growling in frustration.

First thing?s first. We need to deal with this lousy signal.

?And how are we supposed to-?

Before she could finish, a light erupted inside Nazrin?s brain.

?Gyaaaahh!?

She gripped at her face, teeth clenched and eyes rolling back. She felt like a layer was being stripped from her mind, synapses and nodes torn away to expose its centre.

Oh yeah. I should probably mention that this is going to hurt.

?I noticed!? Nazrin growled. If Shou were alive right now, she?d have wrapped her hands around the human?s neck. This was more painful than anything she?d ever experienced, and it felt like it would never let up.

Then, in an instant, it was over. The light faded, and Nazrin?s eyes re-focused on the world around her.

There! Shou?s voice was crystal clear now, the static vanquished completely. The ribbon no longer pulsed in time with her words. Sorry about that. Couldn?t sync with you without removing a few of your mental blocks.

Nazrin wanted to ask what on earth a mental block was, but there were other things on her mind. Her vision felt...she wanted to say ?sharper?, but that felt like an understatement. She could make out the tiniest details on objects on the other side of the room. She stared at a poster on the nearest wall, then gasped when she found herself looking at the corridor behind it.

?Shou,? she said, her words laced with accusation, ?what did you to do my brain??

Nothing. I just had to make some space so I could move in.

?Move in?? Nazrin grabbed at the side of her head. ?So I?m going to have your voice bugging me all the time from now on??

Pretty much. Another chuckle. Don?t worry, Nazrin, I missed you too.

Two conflicting desires came over Nazrin. The first was to confess that having her master back was one of the best things she could have wished for. The second was to punch herself in the face until Shou stopped being so smug about it.

In the end, she opted for neither. A third option came to her, one that wouldn?t stay open for long. She didn?t know much about these new powers, but she knew just how she wanted to test them.

?Let?s leave the reunion for later. I?ve got some business to take care of.?

Eh? What are you planning, Nazrin?

The mouse smirked as she turned to the doorway, her eyes drifting out of focus. ?Let?s just say I need to dish out some payback.?

Somehow, she already knew how her eyes worked. It was like this was a power she had always had, but only now found a way to tap into. She scanned the horizon, her eyes flashing red as she slowly looked around. Kilometers felt like inches to her now; she could see through walls, buildings, and even other youkai.

At last she found Mamizou in a distant clearing, standing over another youkai wrapped in chains. Nazrin grinned, locking onto her target with a blink as she started to run.

But how am I going to get there?

A map of the zoo unfolded in Nazrin?s mind. She knew where she had to go, but it would take a roundabout path to get there. Every straight route had been blocked off by debris during the outbreak. She struggled to construct a plan as she pulled out of the security office and back into the open air.

The sound of flapping wings above caught her attention. Looking up, she found a hawk youkai descending upon her.

?Hey, you?re the mouse girl from last night!? Tsukasa seemed unfazed by the chaos unfolding around her, speaking with her usual cheer. ?Good to see you?re still okay. I figured you?d be in somebody?s stomach by now.?

Nazrin could almost hear the lightbulb clicking on over her own head.

?Perfect timing, Tsukasa. Think you could give me a lift??

-----

?Private Square!?

Sakuya was not a fan of running, but she liked dying even less. The world faded to grey as her pursuers froze to a halt; a trio of bloodthirsty wolves, salivating at the thought of fresh meat.

She turned on her heels and ran, intent on losing her pursuers before she lost a limb to them. There was no path she could take that the wolves couldn?t follow, now they had her scent there was no point in hiding. She needed some sort of weapon to even the odds, but there was nothing in sight.

Tick. Tock.

Sakuya?s throat went dry. A pendulum danced in front of her eyes, in the throes of its final swings. She looked down at her pocketwatch, seeing the second hand slip perilously close to twelve.

Dammit, not now!

Right now she was willing to settle for anything that was long and blunt. With only a few seconds to go, she happened upon a tree branch that had fallen to the ground. It was about the length of her forearm, and horribly unwieldly to lift.

As the clock struck midnight, she decided it would have to do.

Time jerked back into existence, the shift spinning Sakuya?s gut upside down. The wolves began to howl, louder with every step as they charged towards her. And all she had to defend herself was a piece of wood.

This would have been much easier if she hadn?t been alone, she thought to herself. I had to be stubborn, didn?t I? She cursed beneath her breath. I had to insist on splitting up.

One wolf pulled away from the pack, tongue hanging out as it leaped at her. Sakuya swung the branch at her attacker, but it was too heavy for her to deliver any real force.

Not that it mattered. The wolf caught the branch in its mouth, ripping it apart in a single bite. The wood snapped clean in two, leaving Sakuya with a weapon about the size of a toothpick.

That could have gone much better.

Sakuya stepped backwards, discarding what remained of her weapon. The wolf took a moment to get the splinters out of its teeth before it pounced again. This time Sakuya could only roll out of the way, looking around for a weapon that wasn?t likely to fall apart.

She found one quickly. Two, in fact. The problem was that they were both being used by someone else, someone who was quickly racing to her aid.

?Youmu?!?

Sakuya was not the sort to make her emotions well-known, but she couldn?t hide her surprise here. She looked up at the unexpected backup, her innards churning with a potent mixture of relief and shame.

?You?re hopeless, Miyo.? Youmu stepped in front of her sister, drawing a cross with her blades as she stood her ground. ?I hope this teaches you some humility, if nothing else.?

A tense stalemate arose, neither side willing to commit to an attack. Sakuya took the chance to rise to her feet and step backwards. She brushed the dust off of her outfit in a vain attempt to save face.

?You aren?t going to help?? Youmu asked, never looking away from her opponents.

?Can?t.? Sakuya drew one of her knives, motioning to the razor-sharp edge. ?We had orders not to cause casualties, and I?m not really cut out for non-lethal combat.?

Youmu?s eyes widened. Her lips curled into a pleasant smile. ?So you?ve been holding back on them??

Sakuya sighed. ?You almost make me sound like a hero when you put it like that.?

Even with the wolves starting to draw closer, Sakuya felt strangely at ease. The tense atmosphere Youmu usually carried with her had dispersed. If anything, the aura the swordsman gave off now was almost friendly.

Not that it would stop Sakuya from stealing the last word. ?And what made you come back for me? You weren?t worried, were you??

Youmu coughed profusely. ?I, ah, felt like you were being too stubborn. It was only reasonable for me to check up on you.?

Sakuya smirked cruelly. ?Riiiight-? Before she could finish basking in her victory, Youmu threw a sword in her direction. ?Eh??

?Stop talking and start helping me.? Youmu held her remaining sword in both hands, her ghost form taking shape at her side. The three wolves each started to approach a single target - their leader, the one who had jumped Sakuya earlier, decided it wanted a second shot at her.

Sakuya?s calm fell away again. ?You?re kidding, surely? I?ve never used a sword in my life.?

?Yes, you have.? Youmu?s voice was deadpan. ?You just don?t remember it.?

Had she? Now that Sakuya thought about it, she could feel fuzzy memories starting to crawl to the surface. They?d traveled to tournaments together, trained with each other as partners. She had never been her sister?s equal, but she?d done fairly well for herself.

Let?s hope I haven?t forgotten anything important...

Sakuya slowed her breath, weighing the sword in her hand. It was Hakurouken, the shorter of Youmu?s two blades. Still, it was longer than her knives, and definitely much better for use in close combat.

She tried to take a stance as the wounded wolf lumbered towards her. She held the blade low in case the creature pounced at her legs. Her heart raced, but she did her best not to let her fear show on the outside.

Life and death are a thread?s width apart. A lesson from a master whose name she would never remember. A moment?s hesitation can be the difference between them.

The wolf snarled again, as furious as it was hungry. Sakuya could tell what its plan was - break to the side and chomp on her thigh. But would it go left or right? She wouldn?t be able to react to it. She would have to guess.

But uninformed guesses had never been her style.

C?mon, you ball of hair. Sakuya peered into the wolf?s eyes. Give me a tell, already.

Years of gambling had taught Sakuya to pick up on the slightest motion from her opponents. She had never tried to read the expression of a wolf before, but now was as good a time as any.

The wolf seemed perplexed at first, wondering what Sakuya was looking for. Its mouth coiled into a crescent when it figured it out. It peered to the right, so blatantly it had to be deliberate.

Sakuya hissed. Was it a bluff? She couldn?t afford to be wrong. A poor guess would cost her a leg, maybe more. She took a deep breath, her mind tossing and turning over a fifty-fifty chance.

She saw the wolf begin to pounce. Decision time. Left or right? Life or death? Four limbs or three?

In an instant, she made her choice. She?d seen something else in the wolf?s eyes - sheer, unadulterated pride. She gambled everything on that observation.

She swung to the right. Surely it was too proud to lie.

The sound of steel whacking into skull was massively cathartic. The wolf crumpled, the strike enough to put it down for good.

?Hauu-!?

To her side, the other wolves let out pitiful yelps. They flew across the pathway, landing on top of each other in a mess of legs and hair. Youmu and her ghost half were perfectly in sync, both of them wielding the sword as if it were a baseball bat.

Sakuya barely fought back the urge to laugh. ?Isn?t that a little unorthodox??

?Perhaps.? Youmu smiled. ?But a good friend taught me that the element of surprise is the best advantage you can ask for.?

Sakuya smiled back. It had been a while since she had felt this comfortable around her sister. The bickering back at the hospital felt distant, almost forgotten. The little differences between them had fallen away - in the end, they were sisters after all.

?That said, you?ve clearly forgotten almost everything you learned.? Youmu pouted, putting on the furrowed brow of a disappointed mentor. ?Your shoulders were rigid, and your form? I?ve never seen you move so shoddily before.?

Sakuya pinched her nose. OK, most of the little differences.

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #581 on: June 09, 2013, 11:26:26 AM »
I didn't think I'd like the inevitable succession of Shou but you've proven me wrong.

« Reply #582 on: June 10, 2013, 07:42:00 AM »
Return of the master and Sakuya with a sword? I like where this is going.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #583 on: June 16, 2013, 09:54:27 AM »
There were many ways to react to being held at gunpoint. The most common response Komachi had witnessed was paralysing fear, the victim simply freezing on the spot as they pictured their own brains being ejected from their skull. Other criminals had snapped under the pressure, making for their own gun and inevitably getting shot down.

She had never seen anyone stare down the barrel quite as calmly as Mamizou was.

?Well, isn?t this cute?? The tanuki smirked, looking down at the captive Ran. ?I don?t think this girl has any clue who she?s dealing with. That, or she?s just braindead.?

Ran couldn?t answer, of course - a chain was pressed right against her lips to stop her. But her eyes were practically leaking venom. Mamizou gave the fox a condescending pat on the head as she rose to her feet, hiding her knife in a pocket.

?I?m feeling generous today, human.? Mamizou folded her arms, glaring at Komachi as if she was the one holding the gun. ?You don?t even register as a threat to me, so if you put down your little peashooter and walk away I might just let you live.?

?Sorry, ma?am, but I can?t do that.? Komachi?s finger began to squeeze at the trigger. ?After all, it?s my job to make sure murderers like you get the sentence they deserve.?

The tanuki snorted. ?Oh, look who thinks she can preach the moral high ground now! You?ve got no clue what I had to do, girl. You couldn?t possibly comprehend what I had to endure. And you think you can pass judgement on me??

Komachi was unsure whether this outburst was genuine or an attempt to bait her into reacting. Either way, she subdued her response, keeping her aim steady and true.

?I may not be as old as you, grandma, but I know a good bit about right and wrong.? She leered at Mamizou, her disgust for the tanuki shining through. ?And sinking a knife right into your best friend?s back is pretty damn low, whatever your excuse is.?

Komachi prepared for Mamizou to erupt in anger, but instead the tanuki went deathly silent. She pursed her lips, looking away in recollection.

She sighed. ?Well, you can?t say I didn?t try.?

She clicked her fingers, bringing up a wall of smoke. Komachi winced as it struck her eyes, her finger squeezing the trigger an instant too late. The bullet crashed into the back wall, but there was no sign of the woman it was meant for.

Without thinking Komachi spun around, swinging the barrel of the Titanic as she went. She heard the sound of metal clanging against metal as the smoke began to clear. Mamizou yelped, the knife flying out of her hand into a distant corner of the clearing.

?Nice reflexes,? she said, grinning.

?Wasn?t reflexes.? Komachi stepped backwards, priming her gun for another shot. ?I figured you?d try to stab me in the back for irony?s sake.?

Something jumped across Mamizou?s eyes for a second. Respect? Fear? Concern? It was too fast for Komachi to tell.

?Looks like I?ll have to step it up, then.? Mamizou made a cross with her fingers, vanishing in another puff of smoke. A few seconds later, she emerged - along with three identical copies.

?Tell me, human,? the four Mamizous said in unison. ?How good are you at multiple choice??

They broke off in four separate directions, charging Komachi at different angles and speeds. None of them were armed, but Komachi knew a brawler?s stance when she saw it. She turned to the fastest of the four, firing at the biggest threat first.

The bullet passed right through the tanuki, her body flickering like a wave of TV static. An illusion, as Komachi had expected. Not worth worrying about. She turned her attention to the other three, hoping to find the real Mamizou before Mamizou found her.

She was not ready for the completely false Mamizou to punch her square in the chin. The blow sent her spinning, landing face first on the cold, unforgiving ground. The tanuki stopped her assault, stepping back to give her opponent room. Komachi wondered if it was out of respect or simply because Mamizou wanted to play with her prey.

?So your clones can?t be hurt, but they can hurt me?? Komachi craned her head to the side, spitting saliva laced with blood. ?That really isn?t very fair.?

?It?s not about being fair,? the Mamizous chimed, like a perfect choir. ?It?s about winning. And I never lose!?

They charged again, this time crossing along each others? paths to make sure Komachi lost track of the copy. The Siren pulled herself up to her feet, still reeling from the first blow. At least now she knew Mamizou?s trick; the only question was how she would beat it.

There wasn?t enough time to fire on all four targets before one of them closed in. Either she had to guess, or she had to figure out which of the Mamizous was the real one. But how? From where she was standing, they all looked identical.

Unless...

Komachi had just enough time to give the ground a cursory glance. It was all she needed to confirm her suspicion. She pulled the gun around and fired at her target, ignoring the clone about to strike her in the eye.

?Whoa!? Mamizou rolled to the side as the bullet whizzed past her. Her clones faded into nothing, the fist vanishing a few inches short of Komachi?s face.

?Not bad.? The tanuki brushed at her grazed knees as she stood up again, bouncing on her toes from excitement. ?I?m assuming that wasn?t just a lucky guess??

?Of course not.? Komachi motioned to the pathway right in front of Mamizou. ?You?re the only Mamizou that bears a shadow.?

Mamizou?s tail stood on end. She looked down on her own shadow as if to confirm Komachi?s statement. The youkai put a hand to her mouth to stifle a giggle.

?You?re really something, y?know that? The last person to figure that out was - well, she?s a bit tied up at the moment.? She motioned to Ran, who by now had gone completely silent. ?Still, as fun as you are to toy with, I?m afraid I?ll have to stop playing around now.?

Mamizou put a hand on the floor and blew on it. A fine mist rose up as if from the earth, quickly spreading to cover the entire battlefield. It wasn?t as harsh on Komachi?s eyes as the smoke, but it did just as good a job at obscuring her view.

?Time for round three.? Six voices rather than four now - Mamizou was stepping up her game. ?This one?s for all the marbles.?

Komachi pulled her arms in. She could hear footsteps circling around her, but her hearing was nowhere near as sharp as her sight. It was all she could do to keep her distance and avoid getting swarmed. There was no way she would be able to make a straight shot in these conditions.

But maybe I don?t have to.

The Siren ran her hand along the barrel of her gun, listening as the metal began to hum. She had never tried firing a homing shot before, but there?d never be a better time to test it.

She saw a flicker of movement in the distance. Maybe Mamizou. Maybe an illusion. Only one way to know. She fired on it, the shot taking more power and effort than an ordinary bullet.

A pale red light emerged from her gun, drifting gradually towards her target. She saw its trajectory curve as the youkai vanished back into the mist.

She was about to start congratulating herself when she heard the voices cry out.

?A homing shot? Not bad.?

The figure she had fired on appeared again, the bullet still following her. She was charging straight into Komachi with no care for her own safety.

?But not good enough!?

Immediately, Komachi knew she had made a mistake. She tried to step backwards, only to find her back pressed against a wall. The clone leaped at her, wrapping its arms around Komachi in a painful embrace.

The bullet passed right through it, striking Komachi square in the chest. The Siren could almost hear her skin sizzling from the impact, pain flooding every ounce of her system. It knocked her straight through the wall, sending her skidding along the ground for almost twenty feet.

She had never been shot before. She decided that she had preferred it that way.

?Well, well, well.? All six Mamizous strolled towards her, arms crossed and chests sticking out as they looked down on their victim. ?Looks like I win again.?

Komachi?s coat lay in tatters, and blood was soaking through her undershirt. She made to right herself, but one of the Mamizous stepped forward and planted her foot squarely on Komachi?s forehead.

?You did well. I guess.? Mamizou?s face scrunched up as she waved her hand about. ?But there?s no way I?ll lose to a measly human. Even with your fancy Teardrop to help you out.?

Komachi grunted as the back of her head dug into the ground. Her mind raced, searching for an exit strategy that didn?t exist. She was out of options, out of chances, out of time. Mamizou lifted her foot, preparing for the strike that would shatter Komachi?s skull.

She stopped halfway when she heard the scream of a hawk overhead.

?What the hell-?

-----

?Now!?

Nazrin pointed into the cloud of mist that had formed in the midst of the zoo. Her eyes glinted, her target shining red amongst the blockade.

Tsukasa nodded, tilting forward and sending herself into a death-defying plummet. She cried out from the sheer exhilaration as Nazin clung to her back for dear life.

You?re a maniac, you know that?!

Even Shou sounded frightened, which was impressive for a voice in Nazrin?s head. ?I?ll take that as a compliment,? the mouse muttered under her breath.

As they descended into the mist, Nazrin started to make out the situation she was throwing herself into. Mamizou stood on top of a human, accompanied by five perfectly-formed clones. The woman on the floor caught her eye immediately; it was the ?mother? from the group who had visited Shou on the day of the fire. It couldn?t be coincidence, but explanation would have to wait.

?What the hell-? Mamizou looked up just in time to see the hawk dive-bombing into her face. The tanuki fell backwards, too overextended to step to the side. The clones fell apart as she lost her focus, giving the human enough time to stumble back to her feet.

Tsukasa came within inches of the ground, and as she righted herself Nazrin leaped off of the hawk?s back. The landing was far from pleasant, but Nazrin escaped it with all of her limbs still intact. The mist faded around her, bringing the whole clearing back into view.

?You-? Mamizou?s face jumped from fury to sheer bewilderment. ?How did you even-?

?That doesn?t matter,? Nazrin shut her up before she could finish. Honestly the mouse wasn?t very sure of that herself, but now wasn?t the time to admit that. ?What matters is that we?ve got some unfinished business to take care of.?

Any semblance of composure Mamizou had possessed was gone now. She stared at Nazrin as if the mouse was made of dirt, fury brimming in her eyes.

?I tried to be nice to you, Naz. All things considered, I made your death pretty painless. Now I?m going to have to get rough.?

She clicked her fingers, summoning three more clones. ?Take care of her,? she ordered, pointing at the human. ?The mouse is mine.?

?Oh, so you?re ditching me now?? The human seemed badly beaten, but she faced the oncoming clones with a playful grin. ?I thought we were an item now, Mamizou-?

The three Mamizous jumped her before she could finish - only the human wasn?t where she had been standing before. She?d slipped across the walkway with blistering pace, beckoning them in with a finger. It was all the clones could do to keep her occupied, forcing her to move away before she could commit to a shot.

Not bad, Shou murmured. Good thing she?s on our side. Enemy of my enemy, or however that saying goes.

?Yeah, about that...? Nazrin began to fidget as Mamizou approached her with slow, powerful steps. ?I assume you have a plan to keep me from getting petrified again??

Oh, that?s easy. Just transform.

?Transform? What does that even-?

The question answered itself, as the ribbon on Nazrin?s tail came to life. It unfolded itself, floating in front of Nazrin?s face until she put a hand to it. With a flash, it transformed into a bright yellow jewel.

The human gasped. ?Oh, you are kidding me.?

Mamizou?s response was much less nonchalant. ?A Teardrop?! But I thought the Sirens were meant to be human!?

They are, Shou roared, her voice echoing as Nazrin?s hand closed around the gem. But rules like that are made to be broken.

A sweltering sensation raced up Nazrin?s arm, quickly spreading across her slender frame. It was both alien and familiar at once: it was not her own strength, but it flowed through her so naturally that it may as well have been. Her master?s power was hers now, and she offered no resistance as she fell into its sway.

?All systems green,? Shou said. ?Engaging GHOST-RAT protocol.?

Metal rings ran along the lengths of her arms and legs, tiny needles barely pricking into her skin. The whirring of cogs and pistons whistled through her ears, and she felt something jab into the back of her neck.

?Neural link established. Commencing upload.?

A mesh of green light appeared at Nazrin?s feet, slowly moving up her body. A new outfit formed in its wake - ragged denim pants smeared in machine oil, and a worn leather jacket pulled down just enough to reveal the mechanisms underneath. Thick wires ran along both of her arms, ending in bulky circuitboards on the back of her jet-black gloves. Errant sparks flew from them, and they chugged as if they were ready to explode at any moment.

Nazrin?s whole body surged with power as the transformation entered its final stages. A golden visor formed over her eyes, the screen spewing numbers at her as it booted up.

?Upload complete,? Shou said, her voice now coming from Nazrin?s ear rather than her head. ?Initialising TigerOS.?

The screen went blank, and a small window popped up in the corner of Nazrin?s vision. It showed static at first, then cleared to reveal a smiling Shou offering Nazrin a salute.

?Aaaaand done!? Shou leaned her head back, eyebrows lifted in self-congratulation. ?How?re you feeling, Naz??

Nazrin spun her wrist about to test her flexibility. As hefty as they looked, the circuitboards were practically weightless. ?Like someone just shoved my tail into a mains socket,? she answered.

?Well, it was that or you twirling around for a bit spewing glitter and magic words.? Shou?s hand reached out of her window, pointing off into the distance. ?And she was even nice enough to wait for you! How generous.?

A targeting reticule zeroed in on Mamizou. The tanuki?s face had gone sheer white, only to turn a bright red moments later. Behind her, the other clones were still leading the human on a merry dance to nowhere.

?...And here I was, thinking it?d be thorough enough to kill you once.? Mamizou?s eyes were cold and dead as the mist reformed around her, and one set of footsteps turned into four. ?Looks like I?ll have to finish the job this time!?

The clones quickly surrounded Nazrin, using the fog to conceal their movements before leaping out at her. On any other target they?d have been too fast to react to, and their blows would have torn their opponent to shreds.

But not Nazrin.

?Four hostiles marked.? Shou?s voice was cold and calculated as a radar emerged in a window beneath her. The four Mamizous attacking her were marked as dots, with the genuine article bigger and brighter than the others. Naturally that was the only one that held back, letting the clones move in and take their swings.

Nazrin danced around their barrage, dodging them as if they were in plain sight. She paid no attention to the illusions, holding herself low as she moved in on their master.

She clicked the two rods together into a single four-pointed weapon. She focused on the real Mamizou, the reticule reappearing on her visor.

?Cardinal Rods, release!?

She flung her weapon forward, the rods spiraling through the air as they closed in on their target. Her eyes pierced the fog, and she had a perfect view of the rods flying towards Mamizou-

?No dice!?

-only for the tanuki to grab her weapon, spin around with it, and fling it right back twice as fast. Nazrin jerked backwards, the projectile barely passing over her head before crashing into a wall and crumbling apart.

?You think you can get the jump on me?? Mamizou leaped backwards, well out of Nazrin?s range. ?Of course I can see through my own illusions!?

Nazrin cursed. That was as big an opening as she could have hoped for, and it had led to nothing. They were at a stalemate, one that Nazrin would lose when the exertion finally caught up to her.

?Reboot,? she muttered, the rods reforming in her hands. She cut a path around the clones, making distance as she start to think her options over. She could run faster than her pursuers, if nothing else.

?Shou, there aren?t any other fancy weapons in this thing, are there? Rockets or mines or anything like that.?

?Uh...not really?? Shou rubbed at the back of her head. ?Most of your tech is for support purposes, not out-and-out combat.?

?And you didn?t bother to mention that earlier??

?I thought we?d get away with it, okay? I?m new at this.?

Nazrin grabbed at her visor, fighting the temptation to fling it away. ?Well, if you don?t think of something fast, you won?t be the only one of us that?s-?

?Hey, mouse girl!? The human from earlier popped out of the fog, waving cheerfully in Nazrin?s direction. ?You really oughta stop talking to yourself. First sign of madness and all that.?

Nazrin flinched, suddenly remembering that no-one other than her could make out Shou?s voice. She fiddled with the collar of her jacket, gulping and taking a deep breath to save face.

?I?ll take your opinion into account, miss...?

?Komachi. Just Komachi.? The human pulled close, then looked about. ?How long?ve we got before Mamizou?s party tricks catch up with us?? she whispered.

Nazrin gave her radar another glance. The clones were fumbling about in an attempt to find them. It seemed that even if Mamizou could see through the fog, her illusions couldn?t.

?Long enough,? Nazrin answered. ?You have a plan??

?Yeah, but you?re not gonna like it.? Komachi formed a steeple with her fingers, wearing a smile that could only mean trouble. ?See, I could end this fight with one good charged shot from Titanic here, but I can?t really prep when I?m running away from the Ghostly Trio.?

Nazrin rolled her eyes. ?So you need me to be your distraction??

?Good. Now that you?ve said it, I don?t have to.? Komachi smacked a hand on Nazrin?s shoulder, hard enough that the mouse felt her skeleton shake. ?You seem to know her better than I do. Piss her off, get right in her face so she forgets I exist.?

Nazrin pinched her lips together. The idea made her tail curl up, but it wasn?t like she had anything better to offer. ?Fine. How long do you need??

?Five minutes, tops.? Komachi gave Nazrin a thumbs up. ?Thanks. Try not to die, okay?? She winked, disappearing a moment later. Nazrin?s radar reported the human as re-emerging on the edge of the bank, well away from any sort of danger.

Easy for you to say. Nazrin stared off in Komachi?s direction for only a moment before throwing herself right into the fray. The clones had finally found their bearings, closing in on her as she charged towards their master.

?So I?ve got to know,? she said, letting snark drip from every word. ?Do you always murder the people who trust you, or was I an exception??

The reaction was almost immediate, as Mamizou jerked her head around to face the mouse. ?Typically, the people I trust don?t turn against me the moment things get rough.?

She pointed in Nazrin?s direction, and immediately all six clones began to approach. There were too many for her to track at once; luckily, she didn?t have to.

?Shou, run 3Blind.exe.?

?Roger!? Shou?s hands ran over an unseen keyboard, and another set of sparks burst from the machinery. A bright gold line appeared in the visor, marking the optimal route for Nazrin to take.

Three Blind Mice, Nazrin thought to herself. See how they run.

She followed the path to the letter, twisting and turning around the oncoming mirages, striking when she could to give the impression she wasn?t just buying time. She kept as close to the real Mamizou as she could, intent on holding the tanuki?s attention for as long as possible. Whenever she came too close, Mamizou pulled a clone back to act as a barricade.

?You could have joined me.? Mamizou said, bearing her teeth as she seethed. ?I would have given you anything you asked for. Anything you needed-?

?Until you needed another ?diversion??? Nazrin slid between a clone?s feet, and for an instant she locked eyes with the tanuki. ?Sorry, I prefer friends who won?t stab me in the back the moment it suits them.?

Mamizou handled the insult with an utter lack of equanimity. With a swoop of her hand all six clones lunged forward at once, covering every escape angle.

Except for up.

Nazrin jammed one of her Cardinal Rods into the ground, using it as a makeshift pole and vaulting over her attackers. Through the fog, she had a wonderful view of Mamizou?s face contorting with anger.

But only for a moment.

?Ugh-? Nazrin felt something ram into her gut, knocking the breath from her lungs. Looking down, she found that the clone she had vaulted over had jumped, ramming its head right into Nazrin?s stomach. She lost all control over her landing, falling face-first onto the ground.

?Naz!? Shou yelled into her ear as alarms began to drone in her face. ?Get up before she-? Before she could even finish the sentence, a foot slammed into the ground inches from Nazrin?s head.

?Caught you.? Mamizou squinted at her prey with a hard smile. ?You?re not bad for a rat, I?ll admit.?

The clones quickly circled around, looming over Nazrin so she couldn?t vault away again. One stepped on her tail, pinning it to the ground.

?I?m gonna take my time on this one.? Mamizou rubbed her hands together, looking down on Nazrin like she meant to eat the mouse. ?I?ll give you one last request - should I break your arms or your legs first??

Nazrin?s heart pounded in time with the alarms in her visor. She had Mamizou?s attention, alright. The only question was if she?d held it for long enough.

The answer to that question came in the form of a distant humming.

?Hm?? Mamizou looked away, and the moment she saw the source of the sound her jaw dropped. Nazrin could make it out from her spot on the ground - Komachi was stepping forward, both hands on the hilt of her gun as a brilliant green light shone forth.

?Time?s up, Mamizou!? Komachi held her chin high as she squeezed the trigger. ?LAST RITES!?

A sheer pillar of energy burst out from the gun, deafening Nazrin in an instant. The clones vanished as if they were made of dust, and Mamizou herself disappeared as it engulfed her. Komachi wore the comfortable grin of a warrior confident in her victory.

Holy crap. Nazrin stared at the spot Mamizou had formerly inhabited as the light began to fade. Surely she couldn?t have-

Her visor began to beep. ?Wha-? As the light dispersed, Nazrin?s eyes popped open. Mamizou had rolled to the side at the last moment, her power signature as strong as ever. She?d suffered a variety of scrapes and burns, but nothing worse than a minor injury.

?Phew...that was close.? Mamizou looked back at Komachi, laughing as she wiped a layer of sweat from her brow. ?Next time, don?t let your target know that you?re trying to hit them.?

Nazrin?s heart fell out of her chest. They?d just lost their trump card, their only chance to catch Mamizou off guard. So how was Komachi so calm about it?

?Oh, Mamizou, you?re so vain.? Komachi waved the accusation off, the corner of her lip curling up. ?Who said I was aiming for you??

Mamizou?s brow furrowed. She turned around, Nazrin looking backwards at the same time. Lying in the remains of the blast was a pile of dark-grey chains. Nazrin had seen them earlier, but she?d written them off as part of the scenery.

The tanuki?s shoulder?s tensed. ?You didn?t. You couldn?t have.?

Before Nazrin could ask what was going on, an aura of power struck the side of her head. A massive mark appeared on her radar, the ground itself shaking with power. The chains fell away, slowly at first but speeding up as their captive struggled for freedom.

The first thing to emerge from beneath them was a set of golden tails.

?Took a lot of charging to break the seal,? Komachi said, resting the gun on her shoulder. ?Now, I think someone wants a word with you...?

A hand emerged from under the chains, followed by another. With a final war cry, Agent Indigo pulled herself out into the open air.

Mamizou could only manage a whisper. ?Well, fuck.?

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #584 on: June 16, 2013, 04:32:38 PM »
I love a man who grins when he fights!

Wait, whoops, wrong gender

You know you need to get a drawing of ShouNaz Mk. II Teardrop Config A.S.A.P., right? :derp:

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #585 on: June 16, 2013, 07:20:27 PM »
Ahahaha yes!

This is turning out to be even better than I'd thought~

« Reply #586 on: June 17, 2013, 02:05:08 AM »

Beep boop.

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #587 on: June 17, 2013, 03:55:56 AM »
I return to three updates and NAZRIN IRON MAN

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #588 on: June 17, 2013, 02:09:02 PM »
?Five minutes, tops.? Komachi gave Nazrin a thumbs up. ?Thanks. Try not to die, okay??

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #589 on: June 17, 2013, 06:01:48 PM »
Good to see people are enjoying the new direction :3

Just putting out a heads-up that I might be a bit late on the next update. My computer's getting sent off for repairs tomorrow and probably won't be back in time. I've got the story backed up elsewhere so I will try to find another computer to put it up on. Just mentioning now so there isn't an array of questions if I can't make it. Sorry. >.<

EDIT: Crisis averted(?) My old laptop has come back from the dead but I'm not sure if it'll work consistently. We'll see what happens.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 08:25:09 PM by Roukasagihime »

« Reply #590 on: June 18, 2013, 04:26:59 AM »
TigerOS - It's GRRRRRRRRREAT!

No seriously, this is getting better.

KaiserKnuckle

• You better stop,
  • and think about what you're doing
    • Music interests and whatnot
« Reply #591 on: June 18, 2013, 05:34:18 AM »
Nazrinbot, an essentially back-to-life Shou, and what may certainly be a Mamizou sandwich by next update.

The PSL dream, ladies and gentleman.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #592 on: June 23, 2013, 08:07:32 AM »
Koishi had never felt so in sync with her weapon before. The blade danced in the air, an extension of her fingers, drawing golden arcs with every swing. Her body was primed, every nerve and muscle focused solely on the fight.

Her opponent was just as prepared. Satori was matching her blow for blow, deflecting everything Koishi had to offer and answering with clean ripostes. Everything Koishi tried, Satori was already prepared to answer.

This was how their last fight had gone, Koishi thought. Satori was in her head, reading her moves before they even happened. There was no way for her to start any sort of offense.

Time to get serious.

Koishi brought down a mighty swing, knocking Satori off balance for long enough to disengage. She stepped backwards, thrusting a  hand forward as her third eye pulled open.

?Tides of Doubt!?

The air rippled with a pale white light, catching Satori in its embrace. Before Satori could figure out what was happening, Koishi rushed forward with another strike.

Satori?s eyes widened as she figured it out. Her reactions were slower as Koishi?s subconscious leaked into her mind, wiping out her biggest advantage in a single move. ?Ngh-!? She grunted, her saber barely coming up in time to deflect Koishi?s swing. ?Clever. Who taught you that??

?I did,? Koishi answered, punctuating the sentence with another slash. She forced Satori onto the defensive, slowly leading her backwards, searching for the opening that would end the fight.

A smile wavered across Satori?s face. ?You?re all grown up now, aren?t you?? Her eyes wavered, and for a moment Koishi wondered if her sister was ready to listen to reason.

Then it was gone again, replaced with stubborn determination. ?But you?re not the only one who?s been holding back.? She drew her saber back, and a purple bolt ran along the metal as she went in with another thrust. ?Mjollnir!?

Koishi brought up her blade to block Satori?s, the blow hitting with astounding force. The lightning jumped from Satori?s blade along Koishi?s own, knocking her back a few vital inches.

Satori pushed forward again, her strikes slower but carefully placed. The lightning gave her attacks an extra edge, knocking Koishi away whenever she tried to close in. Neither side could feel comfortable - one mistake was all their opponent would need to claim victory.

?You can?t beat me, Koishi,? Satori growled between thrusts. ?You?re making this harder for both of us.?

Her words rang hollow, her brow teeming with sweat as she began to pant from exertion. Koishi called the bluff, pushing forward harder to spite her sister?s attempt to fool her.

Their blades crossed, catching each other in deadlock. Mjollnir gave Satori the power she needed to match Koishi?s strength, their blades pressed flat to flat. Now Satori let her frustration begin to show, clenching her teeth as desperation sank in.

?What do I have to do to make you understand?? she said. ?The Pearl?s been lying to you. You?re not some hero vanquishing an ancient evil.?

?You?ve got it all backwards,? Koishi answered, the stoutness in her tone surprising even herself. ?Do you have any idea what sort of horrible things the Black Claw has done??

There was silence. Koishi could feel Satori?s eyes piercing her own, combing through her mind for thoughts and memories. She could only hope that what Satori found would be enough for her to realise her mistake.

Satori gave her a firm nod. ?I know all about it, Koishi. The crime. The violence. The death.?

Koishi gasped. ?Then you-?

?But it?s not that simple.? Satori?s grip on her sword grew tighter, her knuckles pulsing white. ?The Claw has done terrible things, I won?t deny that. But sometimes progress can?t be made without resorting to force.?

?Progress?? Koishi blinked, dumbfounded. ?How can what you?re doing benefit anyone??

?Don?t play dumb, Koishi.? Satori?s eyes narrowed as she took one step forward. ?You have to know the damage mankind has already done. The damage it?s still doing.?

Koishi gasped. She remembered Momiji reminiscing about fortresses lost to human explorers. Pictures flashed in front of her eyes - oil spills, pillars of smoke, mushroom clouds. Satori nodded as she saw the understanding surface in her sister?s eyes.

?The human race is a danger to itself and the rest of the world.? The conviction in Satori?s voice was almost frightening. ?If we?re to save humanity from itself, we have to take that power away from them, whatever it takes.?

Koishi could feel her blade being pushed back. Her conviction was wavering. She tried to shake the thought off as she blurted out an answer.

?But you don?t need to resort to this! If it?s that desperate, surely people will understand and-?

Satori snorted derisively. ?Don?t be an idiot. If history has shown us anything, it?s that people would rather die than be proven wrong.? Her expression flickered into somberness. ?We can?t save the world with words, Koishi. Only with blood.?

Koishi?s knees were buckling. She was losing ground in both the argument and the fight. Mjollnir?s lightning danced along her arms, sapping her strength even further. At this rate, defeat was all but inevitable.

She looked her sister in the eye, struggling to believe what she was seeing. She hadn?t been ready for Satori to be so resolute. She really did seem convinced that violence was the only answer. She was ready to kill in the name of change, something that went against everything Koishi had thought of her sister.

But Koishi had still seen those glimpses of the girl she remembered. They?d been brief and fleeting, but Satori was still somewhere under that heartless shell. It was just a matter of pulling her out.

?You?re wrong.?

Satori tensed. ?What??

Koishi took the opening to withdraw, knocking Satori?s blade aside and stepping backwards. She dropped her sword to her side, making no attempt to defend herself.

?Humans aren?t evil by nature,? she continued. ?Everyone just wants to be happy. It?s just that sometimes people go about it the wrong way.?

She nodded to herself, remembering the people she had met in her time as a Siren. Cirno, who?d only wanted acceptance. Tewi, who wanted love. Eiki, who wanted justice. Yuyuko, who wanted her son. They?d committed atrocities, but deep down none of them had been truly wicked.

Satori was unmoved by Koishi?s plea. The valkyrie raised her saber, holding its tip inches from Koishi?s chest. A single stab would be enough to pierce her heart.

?Is that what you really believe, Koishi?? Satori?s voice was carefully leveled, keeping any stray emotion from seeping out. ?Or is that just what you want to believe??

Koishi?s entire body wanted to cave in on itself. It took all her composure to keep her fear from showing, her eyes meeting Satori?s and matching their temerity.

?I don?t care if you think I?m naive. I won?t give up on the human race, no matter what.?

?Then why won?t you defend yourself?? Satori pressed her saber into Koishi?s chest, just deep enough to poke at a rib. ?There?s nothing stopping me from killing you right now.?

Koishi gulped. She was well aware of that. This plan had been a gamble from the beginning. But the alternative was to give up on her beliefs, and that was never an option.

?But you won?t,? she said, smiling weakly. ?Don?t you see, Satori? I don?t just believe in people. I believe in you.?

Satori?s eyes widened as she caught Koishi?s meaning. She looked down at the tip of her blade, drawing the first trickle of blood from Koishi?s chest. For a few seconds, the sisters stood in silence, the moment frozen in time.

Finally, with a resentful sigh, Satori pulled her sword away and returned it to its sheath. Koishi smiled, the pounding in her chest dying down as the danger passed.

?If you weren?t my sister, I?d have killed you on the spot,? Satori grumbled. Koishi wondered who she was trying to convince with that statement.

?Then I guess this worked out for both of us.? Koishi extended a hand towards her sister. ?Please, Satori. We don?t have to fight.?

Satori stared at the offering in disbelief. Maybe she hadn?t expected to be forgiven so soon, or even at all. Koishi saw the temptation run through her, her fingers shuffling about anxiously.

But instead of accepting the offer, Satori shook her head. ?I?m sorry, Koishi. I can?t turn my back on the Black Claw now. You have your beliefs, and I have mine.?

Koishi frowned, disappointed but not surprised. Satori had spoken with genuine passion about her beliefs. Before Koishi had thought Satori was simply being manipulated, but her sister was just as adamant in her ideals as she was. They were unnervingly alike, the two extremes on a single spectrum.

?My work here is done,? Satori continued. She motioned towards the empty cages, their inhabitants long gone. ?I have no reason to stay here any longer.?

She clasped her hands together and murmured something beneath her breath. A black vortex emerged beneath her feet, slowly pulling her in. Even as she sank through the portal, her eyes never moved away from Koishi.

?Next time, there won?t be any distractions. If you want to change my mind, you?ll have to fight me with everything you have.?

Koishi made no attempt to stop Satori from retreating. She understood her sister now, saw the hunger for change that drove her on. She wouldn?t be able to talk Satori into cooperating; she?d have to win her sister over by force.

?Understood,? she answered with a nod. ?Just don?t complain when I beat you.?

As Satori vanished into the portal, Koishi swore she saw her sister smile.

-----

The world felt larger as Ran burst out from her chains. It was the same clearing as before, with the same flea-bitten tanuki hiding in the corner, but having room to move her arms about made it all feel that bit more meaningful.

She kicked away the last remnant of the seal, cracking her neck.

?Now, where were we??

Ran rolled her arm about in its socket as she began strolling towards her target. She was a little stiff from her brief imprisonment, but it had given her all the time she needed to recover from her earlier injuries. Mamizou, in comparison, had spent the last of her energy fighting off the Sirens.

?Now, uh, Ran...? Mamizou stepped backwards, eyes darting about for an escape route. ?Let?s not do anything rash, shall we??

She was doing a poor job of sounding brave. Ran could see the tanuki?s tail folding in on itself, her whole body quivering in terror. In contrast, Ran felt more powerful than she ever had. She was moments away from destroying the woman who had taken everything from her.

?Hey, Ran...? the human with the gun spoke up, still panting slightly from exertion. ?You?re not gonna kill her, are you??

Ran had already been prepared for that question. She nodded in the Siren?s direction, never straying from her path towards Mamizou.

?Yeah, see, that?s a problem.? The human drew her gun again. ?It?s my job to make sure both of you come out of this alive. Right, mousey??

The other youkai nodded in agreement, priming both of her rods for another round of battle. Ran could see the sweat oozing down their faces from their last battle. They would have no chance against her in that state.

Not that Ran intended to fight them at all.

For an instant, Ran looked away in the human?s direction. Immediately she heard the patter of footsteps from Mamizou making a dash for freedom. The golden thread wouldn?t let her stray more than fifty paces from Ran, but the fox wouldn?t even give her that.

?Charming Siege From All Sides.?

Ran swung through the air with both arms, and a magic circle emerged at her feet in response. A green wall rose up from the earth to block Mamizou?s path, running along the length of the circle. The walls caved in as they grew higher, meeting in the center to form the roof of a dome.

?Hey, what do you think you?re doing?!? The human growled as she found herself on the wrong side of the dome, smacking at the wall with the hilt of her gun. The mouse followed suit, hammering at the surface with both rods to try and crack it open.

Ran paid them no mind. They?d break through eventually, but the field had bought her more than enough time. She turned back to Mamizou, her stance almost casual as she strolled towards the tanuki.

She?d spent a lot of time deciding how she was going to kill Mamizou. Strangulation was too long and clumsy, and simply pummeling her wouldn?t be nearly bloody enough. She?d decided on the simple option - tearing the tanuki open with her claws, and letting her innards spill out onto the ground. There was something visceral about the mental image that made it satisfying just to think about.

She drew her claws, only half a dozen steps from Mamizou now. The tanuki had made a weak attempt to escape her prison, but she had to know the situation was hopeless. She looked back at Ran, primal desperation flashing across her eyes.

She looked down, finding the knife Ran had drawn her own blood with earlier. Inspiration flew onto her face as she snatched it up.

?Stay back, Ran!? she said, suddenly filled with absurd confidence. ?You really don?t wanna make any rash moves here.?

Ran stared at the weapon and fought back the urge to chuckle. She had centuries of experience with the world?s deadliest magic, and Mamizou planned to fight her with a dagger? She may as well have been throwing rocks at a hurricane.

?Forgive me if your toothpick doesn?t concern me,? Ran said, continuing her approach. ?And stop being so desperate. We both know you?re backed into a corner here.?

The tanuki grinned. ?Am I?? She twirled the dagger about in her hand, suddenly unnervingly casual. The transformation was unnerving, to say the least. ?You underestimate me, Ran. I?ve got everything I need to ruin all of your fun.?

Ran paused for a moment. When Mamizou made an accusation like that, there was usually something of value to it. She took the opportunity to gauge the situation, searching for any route of escape Mamizou might have had.

She found nothing, and concluded that the tanuki had to be bluffing. She was acting brave as death stared her in the face.

?Really, now?? Ran took the last few steps, no more than a foot away from Mamizou now. ?Then I hope you won?t mind showing me.?

Mamizou smirked, looking smug even with only moments left to live. ?Well, don?t say I didn?t warn you-!? She grinned maniacally as she grabbed the dagger?s hilt with both hands.

And turned it on herself.

Wha-

Ran?s brain overloaded in an instant. Was she seeing things? Had Mamizou just - to herself - right in her-

?...Ah.? Mamizou looked down on herself, just as surprised as her opponent was. Ran could only see the hilt of the dagger now - the rest of it was lodged firmly inside the tanuki. A bloody patch began to grow on her shirt.

Her brain caught up with what she had done to herself.

?Shit.? She pawed at the wound, heaving as she tried to force air into her system. Her hands trembled, refusing to stay still or follow orders. Ran charged up to her on instinct, tearing away her shirt to inspect the injury.

Her stomach curled up as she saw the extent of the damage. The knife had barely missed Mamizou?s heart, but it had pierced two major arteries right next to it. The flow of blood from the wound was immense, too strong for pressure to stop. At this rate, she?d bleed out in a matter or minutes.

?Shit, shit, shit!? Mamizou was still trying to tend to herself, the colour fading from her face. ?It was meant to be quicker than this! Now I?m...I?m...?

Her legs buckled as she fell into Ran?s arms. It was only when Ran felt her fingers soak in the tanuki?s blood that the fact truly hit her.

Mamizou was dying.

Ran felt her whole body catch on fire. Every cell, every bone, every muscle was filled to the brim with unbridled hatred. She grabbed Mamizou by the hair, tugging as hard as she could to keep the tanuki from passing out.

?You...? Ran foamed at the mouth, unable to form a coherent sentence. This was a trick. It had to be.

Mamizou was still trying to grab at the knife, with a look of almost rabid frustration. ?Dammit, what was I thinking? How did I end up in a position where stabbing myself seemed like a good idea??

Her self-centeredness only fueled Ran?s anger. This wasn?t just about Mamizou anymore. This was about the one thing Ran had left to care about, and Mamizou was snatching it away from her. Centuries of chasing and searching and fighting, all for nothing.

She wasn?t sure whether to scream or cry.

?You...you coward,? she said through her teeth. ?Don?t you dare think you?ve won, you understand? You?re just running away again!?

There was a long silence. Mamizou?s eyes glazed over, and she took a long hard breath. Her hands fell to her sides, finally resigned to defeat. All the stress vanished from her face, leaving an almost peaceful look in their wake.

?A coward, huh?? She stared up at the sky, her brain struggling to compute a response. Eventually, she nodded. ?Don?t think I can deny that one.?

Ran gasped. Was Mamizou...agreeing with her?

?You remember the first time we met?? Mamizou continued, grabbing at Ran?s wrist with frigid fingers. ?Well, first time we were meant to meet, just after my coronation. You challenged me to a friendly duel, but I never showed up.?

And now she was spouting anecdotes. Ran was totally lost now, nodding her head mechanically in agreement.

?I guess that should?ve clued you in on what sort of person I was.? Mamizou sighed, finding exhaling much easier than inhaling. ?It?d be bad PR if I lost, and since I?d only just come into power I didn?t want to set a bad impression right away. So I ditched it.?

Her hand squeezed at Ran?s wrist. ?I was always jealous of you, y?know? You made being a ruler look so easy. You made all the right choices, and the people loved you for it. Nothing ever fazed you.?

Ran couldn?t believe what she was hearing. She wanted to tell Mamizou that she was wrong, that Ran had been through more than her share of dark times as a ruler. But a voice in the back of her head reminded her that Mamizou was an enemy, that showing compassion was the last thing she should do.

And yet, the woman dying in her arms didn?t look like the monster she?d been hunting down all these years. She looked like an old friend she?d long since forgotten, like the knife had cut away her outer shell to reveal the hollow individual inside.

?...I was never like that.? Mamizou paused between sentences, struggling to find the breath to speak. ?I was nervous. Frightened. Every time I had to make a choice, I worried about what the people would think. Would they agree with me? Would they understand why I?d made the call I did??

There was a long pause as Mamizou closed her eyes. Ran thought for a minute that the tanuki was gone, but she could barely make out a pulse as she touched Mamizou?s wrist. Her heartbeat was weak and erratic.

?That?s why...I didn?t take the risk.? She coughed again, blood dribbling onto her lips. ?If I didn?t go along with the Ravager?s plan, I thought my people might judge me as a poor ruler. I?d be putting the lives of others ahead of my own country. I was too scared of that to resist the temptation.?

She managed to curl one side of her lips into a smile. ?Maybe that?s why they went to me and not you. They knew I was the weaker one.?

Was Mamizou looking for repentance on her deathbed? Did she expect an angel to swoop down from the sky and haul her off to heaven? The thought of it made Ran sick to her stomach, but she still found herself cradling Mamizou, trying to pass on what little warmth she could.

?...I?m sorry, Ran.? She said it almost too quietly to be heard, taking a deep breath as she repeated herself. ?I?m sorry. I tried to justify what I did as rational. I said I was just looking out for myself. But...you?re right. In the end, I?m just a coward.?

Ran didn?t realise how long she?d been silent until she tried to speak. Her throat felt tight, and her eyes were growing misty. Every word felt like an ordeal.

?You...you think that?ll be enough? You think saying sorry will make up for everything you?ve done??

Mamizou laughed, every chuckle more painful than the last. ?Of course not. Nothing can make up for what I took from you.? She looked down at the knife, and the pool of blood forming around her. ?But I can?t do much else when I?m like this, can I??

Ran could barely feel Mamizou?s pulse now. The tanuki?s breaths grew slower, quieter. She was on the verge of slipping away.

And in spite of everything, Ran didn?t want her to go.

?Mamizou, you can?t die.? She shook the tanuki as if it would somehow mend her wounds. ?You took everything I had. I threw away my throne, my kingdom for you. You...? An awful sob squeezed its way out of her throat. ?You owe me.?

The realisation was a sledgehammer to her skull. She?d been so focused on revenge that she?d never thought about what would come afterward. She had no friends, no family, no country left to rule. For centuries she had drifted across the planet, never staying for long enough to learn names or faces.

She?d only had one companion all this time, and it was the woman who she had sworn to kill. The only person who knew her, who truly understood her, was bleeding out in her arms.

A finger ran across her cheek, wiping away her tears.

?Don?t cry, Ran,? Mamizou wheezed. ?You?re...prettier...when you?re angry.?

Ran felt the finger drawing a line of blood across her face. She was paralysed, staring down as Mamizou?s eyes began to close again.

?Now go find...something else...to be angry about...?

The finger fell away as Mamizou went limp, letting out a final sigh. The flow of blood from her chest trickled to a stop, and the last hint of colour vanished from her face.

?M...Mamizou??

Ran was caught in the throes of denial, pressing her fingers against Mamizou?s neck. There was no sign of a pulse, and her chest was still.

?...No.?

Ran felt her very core tearing itself apart. Mamizou had robbed her of everything. The desire for revenge had been the only semblance of meaning she had left. Now she didn?t even have that.

And of all things, she?d died with a smile on her face. How was that fair? She got to die happy and leave Ran behind with nothing. Where was her payback? When did she get the justice she deserved?

?No, no, no...? She smacked her hand against the floor, her knuckles digging into the earth. She punched again, harder, over and over, feeling the rocks cut her fingers open. She had never wanted to die as much as she did now.

In the distance, she heard the dome shatter. The two Sirens broke into her safe haven, but neither of them made an attempt to approach. They already knew they were far too late.

Ran didn?t care. They didn?t matter to her. Nothing did anymore. She kept smacking her hand into the ground, the pain numbing the feeling that was tearing her apart from the inside. Her knuckles were a bloody mess, and the only sound she could make was a pathetic howl.

For the first time, she was well and truly alone.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #593 on: June 23, 2013, 08:07:46 AM »
The food court was silent beyond the low whirring of the ceiling fan. The air was tense and heavy, and in spite of their ?victory? nobody seemed particularly keen to celebrate. The Sirens sat together around one table, awkward stares passing from one side to the other. Nitori stood at one end of the table, with Sango at attention to her side.

?Alright, let?s start with the good news.? Nitori raised fingers as she listed off the positives of their operation. ?First off, you?re all still alive. Normally I wouldn?t consider that a plus, but this was a pretty dangerous operation. Most of the animals have been taken care of, so the trouble has passed.?

She turned to the newest member of the group, hidden away at the distant corner of the table. ?Secondly, we?ve happened on our lost Teardrop. Seems like our murine friend over here happened upon it by accident.?

The mouse raised a hand anxiously. ?Uh, hi. I?m Nazrin, and apparently we?re all going to be fighting evil together-?

The name rang a bell in the back of Koishi?s head. ?Nazrin? You mean you?re Shou-san?s pet??

?Yeah, that?s-? Nazrin looked over at Koishi for the first time, and her eyes flashed with remembrance. ?You. You were there at the fire, weren?t you??

Koishi could only reply with a grave nod. There was so much she wanted to say, but she knew now wasn?t the time or place for it. She swallowed down her fretfulness for now, letting the kappa continue with her debriefing.

?Now, the bad news.? Nitori put her hands in her pockets and sighed. ?You guys did a good job of cutting down the number of casualties, but there?s still a lot of cleaning up to do. The police are putting estimates at about seventy wounded, and half a dozen of them are in intensive care. It would have been a lot worse without us, though, so keep that in mind.

?Second...? Nitori sighed, staring up at the barely-running fan. ?Futatsuiwa?s dead. From what I?ve heard, she killed herself before Ran could get the chance.?

Nazrin and Komachi nodded along. They?d watched it happen, from what Koishi had heard. She didn?t want to imagine how hard that was.

?Morichika yesterday, and now this.? Komachi pressed her palm against her cheek. ?I really need to work on my arrest rate, don?t I??

?Don?t let it get to you,? Mokou said, patting Komachi on the back. ?You did the best you could.?

That didn?t seem much comfort for the lawyer, but she nodded along in agreement. At the very least, she seemed aware there were much bigger things to worry about.

?Thirdly, it looks like all our fears about Satori-san were accurate.? Nitori turned to Koishi, looking pained just by the thought of what the Siren had been through. ?I?m sorry, Koishi-san. I know this must be hard on you.?

To everyone?s surprise, Koishi shook her head. ?It?s fine, Kawashiro-sensei. She?s fighting for what she believes in, just like we are.?

Nitori pursed her lips. ?You aren?t letting her get to you, right? Leviathan?s a charismatic woman. If she earned your sister?s trust, she might be trying to win you over by proxy.?

Koishi didn?t have an answer to that. Did she think Satori had a point? Possibly. She was definitely right that something had to be done about the world as it was - not just for the sake of youkai, but for the sake of mankind as well. The White Pearl had no plans for that - they were content with keeping the status quo as it was.

But she didn?t believe Satori?s claim that violence was the only answer. There was a way to peace other than force. She wasn?t sure what that method was yet, but nothing was going to stop her from looking for it.

?Don?t worry about me, Kawashiro-sensei,? she answered, offering a thumbs up. ?Just let me deal with Satori myself, alright??

?I wouldn?t dream of anything else.? Nitori smiled, but only for a moment. ?And now, the biggest problem we?re going to be dealing with...?

?The fact that we?re internet superstars?? Sakuya interrupted the kappa before she could finish, looking unfazed as ever. Youmu sat at her side, closer than she?d been to her sister in days. Maybe the two of them had managed to put their differences aside.

?That?s...not how I?d have put it, but you?ve got the idea.? Nitori nodded. ?I took care of the surveillance cameras, but a lot of the visitors probably caught footage on things like smartphones. If we?re lucky, none of it will be very clear. If not, there?s going to be video footage of you girls all over the internet.?

Youmu raised her hand. ?How exactly is that a problem? The Black Claw already know who most of us are.?

?It?s not the Claw we need to worry about,? Sango said. ?These people have footage of you girls using magic. They?re going to want to know how you did it - there?ll be paparazzi at your door, maybe even government agencies trying to figure you out.? She scratched at her head. ?Long story short? It?s going to make all the covert ops stuff a lot harder.?

Silence. The Sirens shared glances with each other across the table. Koishi could see the question in her companions? eyes - had they been wrong to intervene? Had they only made the problem worse in the long run?

Even without a word, Koishi could tell that the Sirens? answer was ?no?. They?d saved plenty of lives today, and that was worth a little trouble with the authorities.

?For now, we?re going to play a waiting game,? Nitori said. ?I don?t have enough resources to put all of you in safe houses, so we?re going to wait and see how many of you are incriminated by this footage. If we?re lucky it?ll only be one or two of you, and I can arrange a place to hide until the hype dies down. Until then, you?d better go home and lay low.?

The Sirens nodded along in agreement; all except for the quiet one in the corner. She raised her tail in the same manner Youmu had raised her hand.

?So where does that leave me?? Nazrin asked. ?Mamizou-san was looking after me, so I?m a little...under-accommodated at the moment.?

?You?ll be staying with Koishi-san,? Nitori said, pointing at the Siren opposite Nazrin. ?She?s already got a few pets of her own, so I figure you?ll fit in well with her.?

Nazrin frowned at the word ?pet?, then promptly turned her attention to Koishi. ?These other youkai aren?t anything to worry about, are they? There?s no chance I?ll end up in somebody?s stomach or anything.?

Koishi was puzzled by the question initially, until she understood what Nazrin was getting at. ?Well, I do have a cat, but she hasn?t eaten a mouse in years. And Utsuho wouldn?t hurt a fly unless Rin told her to. So you should be fine.?

Nazrin?s tail swished about uncertainly. She seemed anything but fine about the proposition. Koishi could only hope the mouse would calm down once she actually met her new housemates.

?So what about you, Nitori-san?? Mokou asked. ?What?ll you be doing while we?re locked up at home and praying we don?t become the latest Niconico craze??

Nitori smiled. ?I?ve got some persuading to do.?

-----

It was a nice little clearing, Ran decided. As it turned out, the zoo had been built on the edge of a country park, and behind the zoo itself was a expansive wood. She?d wandered through the trees, finally coming upon a neat little outpost that was perfect for her needs.

The body was so light on her shoulders, she thought. It scared her to think that the pile of lifeless flesh had been a person no more than an hour ago. She wondered if someday, someone would carry her body away to be put to rest as well.

Somehow, she doubted it.

The sun was beginning to set as Ran laid Mamizou?s body down on the ground. She stepped a few paces away, digging a hole in the earth with her bare hands. She didn?t have a shovel, and the ground wasn?t quite soft enough for a proper burial, but her claws did a good job of making up for that. After twenty minutes of work, she had constructed a grave large enough to contain the body.

She looked down at Mamizou again. The tanuki?s ears and tail were fading away, leaving only her human features behind. Ironically, the appendages youkai had the most trouble hiding in life were the first to decay in death. Within a day, Mamizou?s body would be indistinguishable from that of a normal human.

She looked so happy now, Ran thought to herself. Maybe the tanuki had been so light to carry because a weight had finally been lifted from her shoulders. The fox was careful as she lowered Mamizou into the grave, as if she expected the body to shatter from the force.

?You picked a good spot for it.?

A voice from behind. Kawashiro. Ran hadn?t been planning to hear that voice again for a long time.

?She was a queen,? Ran said. ?She deserves a proper burial.? Her voice was cold and stable, the rest of her emotion already spent. She turned back towards the kappa. ?I suppose you?re here to pass justice on me??

Nitori shook her head. ?Technically I don?t even have a crime to judge you for. After all, it wasn?t you who killed her.?

Ran forced a smile. Perhaps that had been part of Mamizou?s plan as well - killing herself so that Ran wouldn?t have blood on her hands. Ran doubted it, but it was a nice idea.

?She seemed guilty, at the very end.? Ran looked down into the grave, already feeling a world away from its inhabitant. ?I?d always wondered if there was any trace left of the Mamizou I called my friend.?

?I can think of better ways to find out.? Nitori spoke with the voice of a woman who?d been through a similar ordeal. That sort of betrayal had to be common in a secret society like the White Pearl. There was a common ground between the pair that made Ran feel strangely at ease.

?Then what are you here for?? Ran asked. ?I doubt you came all this way to pay your tributes to the fallen.?

Nitori bowed her head forward. ?We need your help, Ran.?

Short and to the point. That was how Ran liked it.

?Are you sure you want me?? she asked. ?I abandoned the last post of authority I was trusted with.?

?You?re also one of the strongest youkai the world?s ever seen,? Nitori answered, her eyes dark and unyielding. ?And you owe it to your master, remember??

Her master. How many years had it been since Ran had thought of her? The woman had been dead for thousands of years, and Ran had thrown away her duties to chase after her own vendetta. She?d kept the name, but she really hadn?t done much to deserve it of late.

She sighed. She had several centuries of downtime to make up for. She might as well start working it off now.

?It?s the Ravager?s fault this whole mess happened,? she said, straightening her collar. ?Please tell me the brains behind that monster is still around.?

?Sure is,? Nitori said, winking as she offered Ran a handshake. ?And she?s the head of the Black Claw, too.?

?Then count me in.? Ran grabbed at the hand, shaking almost painfully hard. ?Those bastards are going to regret getting my attention.?

Go find something else to be angry about. Mamizou?s last words echoed in her head. Maybe this was what Mamizou wanted Ran to do with herself. She?d never know for sure, but it was another nice thought to soothe herself with.

?Just let me say my goodbyes first,? Ran said, breaking off from the handshake and grabbing a handful of dirt. Slowly, carefully, she let it fall into the grave, scattering across the tanuki?s broken body. She followed up with a second, a third, until the grave was almost completely full.

?Here?s to Mamizou Futatsuiwa, long-lost ruler of the tanuki.? Ran sniffed, feeling her eyes welling up again. ?Traitor, murderer, all-around monster...?

She dropped the last wad of dirt over Mamizou?s face. ?And the best friend I?ve ever had.?

-----

The van that brought Koishi home was the sort that was distinct in its lack of distinction.  It blended into the road almost too neatly, and she suspected she would forget every little detail about the vehicle the moment she stepped out.

The driver, presumably another youkai, made no attempt to talk to his passengers for the duration of the journey. Nor did he react to anything they said, even when Sango (from her limited experience with human transport) said the trip wasn?t nearly dangerous enough. Koishi wasn?t sure if the man was blessed with limitless patience or if he was simply deaf.

Her attention wasn?t focused on him for long. There was another passenger in the car who deserved her attention. Nazrin was pressed right against the window, staring out at the world that was passing her by.

?Why are human buildings all so tall?? she asked as they passed a multi-storey apartment complex. ?Seems like it would just give you a lot more stairs to climb.?

?It?s so you can put more people in them,? Sango answered. ?Though they?re all squeezed together real close. Like sardines.? She licked her lips, distracted by her own analogy.

They spent another minute or so trying to make small talk, along with Sango introducing the mouse to the game of I Spy. It ended shortly after Nazrin guessed something that began with D and ended with ?olphin?.

An awkward silence hung in the van after that, with Sango shuffling into the corner and complaining that Nazrin wasn?t any fun. The two Sirens were left with each other, and Koishi felt her throat dry up as she tried to fill the space.

?Look, Nazrin-san...?

How was she supposed to say this? She paused for a moment, trying to find the right words and failing. Eventually she just blurted out whatever felt best.

?I?m...I?m sorry I wasn?t there for your master. I did my best, but in the end I couldn?t stop her.?

Nazrin flinched slightly as Koishi spoke, like she hadn?t been expecting the apology. Her ears wiggled about on the sides of her head.

?It?s okay, Koishi-san. Master explained everything to me during the debriefing.? She smirked. ?That?s why I wasn?t talking much, you see.?

?Eh?? Koishi furrowed her brow. ?Your master...but how did-?

Nazrin sighed. ?It?s a long story, and I get the feeling I?ll sound crazy if I tell it to you. But, well...? She poked a finger against her forehead. ?I?ve got master Shou locked up in here.?

That explanation did nothing to clear up the matter for Koishi. Sango seemed similarly perturbed, twirling a finger around her ear when she thought Nazrin wasn?t looking.

The mouse frowned. ?See? I told you it?d sound stupid. Who?s gonna believe that I?ve got a ghost lodged in my brai-?

Hey, Koishi-san! Is that you?

Koishi flinched. The voice echoing in her head was unmistakable. ?Shou-san?!?

Nazrin?s ears wiggled again, and Koishi swore she saw a wisp of smoke sift out of one of them. The cloud rose up into the air, slowly forming into a much more recognisable form.

?Hey, she CAN hear me!? Shou clapped to herself - or at least she tried to, but her hands ended up passing through each other. She patted her mouse friend on the shoulder. ?See, Naz? I told you it was worth a try.?

Nazrin shivered where Shou?s hand touched her, grumbling out a response beneath her breath. Koishi was still taken aback - this wasn?t her first time seeing a ghost, but it was the first time the ghost had been someone she knew. And Youki had never been this...she wanted to say ?lively?, but that seemed like the worst word possible to describe a ghost.

?Uh, Koishi-san, who?re you talking to?? Sango stared in the same direction Koishi was, but there was no sign of comprehension in her eyes. Once again, it seemed like Koishi was the only one who could actually see the spirit. At least she had Nazrin to vouch for her this time.

?It seems like Shou-san isn?t as gone as we thought she was.? Koishi shuffled about in her seat, unsure of how she was supposed to start up a conversation with someone no longer among the living. ?Shou-san, how did you make it out of the orphanage??

?Simple,? Shou answered. She nodded at Nazrin, and the mouse pulled her tail around to reveal a bright yellow ribbon. ?Turns out the Teardrop had its own backup plan. It hitched a ride with Nazrin, and the rest is history.?

Koishi nodded. She?d never considered that the Teardrop could have a mind of its own. She began to appreciate just how powerful these artifacts really were.

?That reminds me,? Nazrin said. ?How long are you going to be sticking around??

Koishi could hear the hope in her voice, the desire for Shou to say something like ?forever?. The ghost could only frown in response, her form fading a little in front of Koishi?s eyes.

?Sorry, Naz. I?m only around to deal with unfinished business. Once we deal with the Black Claw...well, I?m gone.?

Koishi practically heard Nazrin?s heart breaking at the sound of that.

?Oh. I see.? She drooped her head forward, the life draining out of her with lightning speed. It took a deep breath for her to compose herself again, looking up at Shou with a sad smile. ?I?m being ungrateful, aren?t I? I mean, having you back at all is enough of a miracle.?

?You bet it is.? Shou reached down to ruffle at the mouse?s hair. She didn?t make contact, but Nazrin?s hair waved about as if it was being stirred by the wind. ?So no more complaining, got it? Or else I?ll let Koishi-san in on all those secrets you?ve got locked up in your head.?

Nazrin blushed for an instant, then began to fume. ?I swear, if you weren?t dead already...?

Koishi couldn?t help but giggle. The two of them were perfect for each other - Nazrin was the straight man to Shou?s inner klutz. She imagined them as stand-up comedians, bouncing off each other with ease.

She spent a little too long wondering how to advertise a double act of a mouse and her dead owner. By the time she?d given up on the idea, the van had scraped to a stop.

?We?re here,? the driver muttered. ?Get out.?

Koishi nodded, trying not to take offense at his lack of politeness. As she stood up to reach the door, she noticed that the man had earplugs stuffed tightly into both ears.

That explained a lot, she thought to herself.

She took point, letting Sango and Nazrin hang behind her as she came up to the front door. Now came the difficult task of introducing a new face to the household.

?OK, Nazrin-san. There?s really nothing to worry about, but I?ll let Rin know that you?re a VIP and definitely not a midnight snack.?

Nazrin frowned. ?I?m pretty sure you could have found a better way to phrase that.?

?Maybe, but I?ve had a long day. All I want right now is to get some sleep.?

She fumbled with her keys, finally managing to shuffle the door open. A familiar trail of footsteps began to echo from the living room.

?Evening, everyone,? she said, waving preemptively. ?This here?s Nazrin, and she?ll be staying-?

?Koishi-sama, Koishi-sama!? Utsuho cut her off before she could finish. The raven came to a stop in the hallway, stamping about with a rabid enthusiasm. ?I?m sorry I tried to record it but then the scary
man came on and-?

?Whoa, there.? Koishi put her hands on Utsuho?s shoulders to keep her from taking off. ?Deep breaths, Utsuho. In and out, okay??

The raven?s wings flapped about behind her as her eyes rolled about in her head. She looked just about ready to faint, and she might have lost it completely if Rin hadn?t emerged from behind her.

?Sorry, Koishi-sama. Okuu?s a little out of it.? She carefully led Utsuho back into the hallway towards the kitchen. ?OK, Okuu, it?s time for you to take a nap...?

She led Utsuho off, leading her to the birdcage in the same way she?d have led a drunk man to bed. Koishi tiptoed into the house proper, feeling Nazrin?s eyes burning into her.

?This isn?t a normal occurrence in your house, is it?? the mouse asked.

?Not that common, no.?

It was a few minutes before Rin returned from her duties. She seemed far from relaxed herself, but at the very least she was handling her nerves much more handily than Utsuho was.

?Thanks for that, Rin,? Koishi said. ?Any idea what was up with her??

Rin sighed, like a doctor trying to find the best way to give bad news. ?She was trying to record that magical girl show you?ve been following, but it got interrupted by a news bulletin.?

Koishi blinked. ?That?s all? It?s not that big a deal. There?s a repeat showing on tomorrow night, anyway.?

?That?s not the point. The bulletin...? Rin frowned, her tail swishing about. ?Actually, it?s best if you see it for yourself.?

She vanished into the living room, twiddling her fingers as she went. Koishi followed on behind her, the duty of introducing Nazrin to the household suddenly forgotten.

As her eyes fell on the television, her heart exploded in her chest.

Playing live was a video of her in the middle of combat with her sister.

-----

And now, an update on today?s breaking news.

Details are beginning to emerge on the catastrophic breakout at Gensouto Zoo. The incident, which has left dozens injured and several dead, is believed to have been initiated by a disgruntled employee.

Within the last hour, the authorities have declared the area safe. Specialist squads were deployed to deal with the outbreak, but initial reports suggest that many animals were already incapacitated by the time police arrived on the scene. The zoo itself, however, is in a state of disrepair, both in terms of property damage and loss of personnel. It is believed that the surviving animals will be taken in by another facility once the last of the outbreak is contained.

Further fueling the confusion is footage such as this, captured by a passing civilian as they escaped the zoo. The facility?s internal cameras were destroyed during the attack, but already dozens of separate video clips have been uploaded to the internet showing young girls fighting off these animals singlehandedly. These girls - already folk heroes on the internet - are shown to subdue the raging beasts through methods which should be physically impossible.

Although Commissioner Ishihara has written off the footage as ?an elaborate prank?, it?s believed that several departments have pooled their resources into identifying the individuals captured within these pictures. Whether they will be rewarded, questioned or arrested is a question that no-one has made an attempt to answer.

One thing is certain, however - this incident is unlikely to disappear fast. With an ever-growing pile of questions regarding the culprit and motive behind the attack, this is a problem much of Gensouto will want to see solved.

I?m Hatate Himekaidou, and you?re watching the Gensouto Evening News. More info as it develops...

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
Re: Dolphin Rider Koishi - Arc 7 (Complete!)
« Reply #594 on: June 23, 2013, 08:11:42 AM »
-----

Author's Note:

So here we are again. Up to 300k words now. No small feat.

I've made a decent start on arc 8, but for the next month or so I'm going to have a full-time job to focus on, so I can't make any promises. Thanks to everyone who's been willing to bear with me up until now.

Special thanks again to Iced for being the shining beacon of sanity that keeps me from dwindling into madness. If I had to dedicate this story to anyone, it'd be you.

Anyway, I guess I'll see you all when arc 8 starts. Till next time.

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #595 on: June 23, 2013, 12:43:20 PM »
Good job on another fine arc.

Is an 'ending' in sight? Do you have one in mind? (yes/no)

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #596 on: June 23, 2013, 04:06:39 PM »
Did Okuu just call Hatate a 'scary man' for the news bulletin? :v

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #597 on: June 23, 2013, 05:41:46 PM »
Is an 'ending' in sight? Do you have one in mind? (yes/no)
We've got one more arc to go, but there's going to be a lot to resolve in it so it should be fairly sizable. And I have a good idea where I'm going to go with the finale :P

Did Okuu just call Hatate a 'scary man' for the news bulletin? :v
Hatate is fugly Probably a co-anchor. :V

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #598 on: June 23, 2013, 06:03:58 PM »
Oh man, things are gonna get even crazier soon aren't they?

Even if we have to wait it's going to be totally worth it, so take as much time as you need.

« Reply #599 on: June 23, 2013, 10:23:09 PM »
I told you I had no doubts about starting the day with this, and I certainly was not wrong.

Though, the next arc is gonna be the last one? Dang. It feels like it was meant to go on longer, but it's been one heck of a ride.

But I'll be there, waiting at the final stop.